Voice your thoughts on who might be sleeper QB drafted 4th-7th round

SouthernJet

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most college systems still run deep to short. So does SJS. The reason that matters is because you don't get trained over time to plant your feet to drive the deep ball. I agree that Falas has the same problem as Bridgewater but to a larger degree and he also has other mechanical problems that Bridgewater doesn't have, especially getting some speed on the shorter passes and outs.

I would agree with this mostly. What I actually thought was a great ability by Fales was his ability to get the ball out early on short passes and outs before the WR even breaks on his route. This is something that Geno doesn't even do. Everything else I can give you props on. These are all things that Fales could work on an excel at. I'd like for Fales to work on all these things sitting as the 3rd string on this team. Next year if Geno hasn't solidified his status as starter then Fales 2nd season with a year under his belt learning the system and working to perfect his mechanics will put the Jets in a much better position than looking for another Mike Vick to sign for 5 million imo. 

I would agree with this mostly. What I actually thought was a great ability by Fales was his ability to get the ball out early on short passes and outs before the WR even breaks on his route. This is something that Geno doesn't even do. Everything else I can give you props on. These are all things that Fales could work on an excel at. I'd like for Fales to work on all these things sitting as the 3rd string on this team. Next year if Geno hasn't solidified his status as starter then Fales 2nd season with a year under his belt learning the system and working to perfect his mechanics will put the Jets in a much better decision than looking for another Mike Vick to sign for 5 million imo. 

Right. However, the problem is that the relying on timing to make up for the inability to deliver the ball with speed can most certainly get you by in the Mountain West. Not so much in the pros.

Right. However, the problem is that the relying on timing to make up for the inability to deliver the ball with speed can most certainly get you by in the Mountain West. Not so much in the pros.

This guy isn't a Chad Pennington. When I looked at his games it wasn't like "wow, he throws lobs but man does his accuracy and anticipation make up for his lack of throwing power". The guy can throw the football. It won't whistle, but he has zip. Like I said, his a machine with anything 20 yards deep and inward. 

This guy isn't a Chad Pennington. When I looked at his games it wasn't like "wow, he throws lobs but man does his accuracy and anticipation make up for his lack of throwing power". The guy can throw the football. 

If that were the case he wouldn't be grading out where he has been.

Fales played in an offensive system that has some resemblance to Marty's system. He's a west coast system QB which is what we run. He's still not particularly good??? lol. 

David Fales in 2012 lead the nation with 72% comp rate, throwing 33 TD's his first year starting. In 2013 David Fales completed 64% and beat a Fresno State team that was on an 11 game winning streak led by Derek Carr by throwing 6 TD's for 550 yards as well as 1 rushing TD. He was 3rd in the FBS with 4189yds, threw 33 TD's in 2013 which was tied for 6th with Johnny Football,  and was tied for the most 300 yard passing games with 9 in his conference (tied with Derek Carr). In two full years as starter, Fales only had 2 games where he didn't throw a TD as a starter and 5 games where he only threw 1 TD. He averages 2.65 TD's per game and he threw an INT on less than 3 percent of his throws. 

Thats pretty good and this kid is being slept on. 

And then there's this on walterfootball fwiw:

"Fales didn't impress at the Senior Bowl and showed a real lack of arm strength. He then ran much more slowly than expected at the Combine."

It might not be that he's being slept on.  It might be that he's just what his projections suggest...a mediocre prospect.  But I've never seen him play so I'm open to anything Idzik wants to take a shot on in the 6th with our four picks.

And then there's this on walterfootball fwiw:

"Fales didn't impress at the Senior Bowl and showed a real lack of arm strength. He then ran much more slowly than expected at the Combine."

And then there's reality. 

Fales Senior Bowl stats: 6 for 7 for 104yds and a TD. He lead the South in passing.  In other words, he got off the bench, marched down the field to score a TD, sat back down on the bench and humbly let Derek Carr get all of the flashing lights and credit. Its cool though, it was also David Fales who snapped Derek Carrs 11 game winning streak this past season as well in impressive fashion at that, coming back from behind twice in the latter half of the game. Like I said, I only listen to the experts but for so much. I go to Walterfootball's website often, doesn't mean that I believe everything written. 

You're right. This is why I listen to the experts but so much. The two issues with Russell Wilson was his size and his arm strength, but like in college he showed that he could run an offense and make good decisions with the football.  I completely slept on Wilson because I just never got a chance to see him. A guy who was very pro Russell Wilson was Vicious86 which I haven't seen around these parts for some time. Man, did he hit it out the park with Wilson though. 

I really really hope we draft this guy.

I never saw a criticism of Wilson's arm strength....never. Big difference.

The criticism wasn't that he had a weak arm, the criticism was that he didn't have elite height and arm strength. My bad if I caused you to misunderstand my point. I feel Fales is in the same situation. He doesn't have elite arm strength or height, but he can make all the throws just like Wilson so it doesn't make a difference. He's able to throw the ball accurately with good ball placement and he makes good decisions with the ball with a very good release. 

I simply can't knock that. 

And then there's reality. 

Fales Senior Bowl stats: 6 for 7 for 104yds and a TD. He lead the South in passing.  In other words, he got off the bench, marched down the field to score a TD, sat back down on the bench and humbly let Derek Carr get all of the flashing lights and credit. Its cool though, it was also David Fales who snapped Derek Carrs 11 game winning streak this past season as well in impressive fashion at that, coming back from behind twice in the latter half of the game. Like I said, I only listen to the experts but for so much. I go to Walterfootball's website often, doesn't mean that I believe everything written. 

Totally fair.  As I said, I haven't seen him play so he may very well be what you say.  I'll definitely remember the name. 

I was VERY pro Wilson (saw many of his games, a few live vs UNC) This prick just knew how to win. Even as a UNC guy I sent the Jets Front Office 3 emails BEGGING them to draft this kid. In my emails I said maybe a 3rd/4th will get him. 

The saddest thing is, Wilson was a UNC fan growing up and begged for a UNC scholly but they just signed 5 star Paulus (who ended up a bust) and had no room.

I was VERY pro Wilson (saw many of his games, a few live vs UNC) This prick just knew how to win. Even as a UNC guy I sent the Jets Front Office 3 emails BEGGING them to draft this kid. In my emails I said maybe a 3rd/4th will get him. 

The saddest thing is, Wilson was a UNC fan growing up and begged for a UNC scholly but they just signed 5 star Paulus (who ended up a bust) and had no room.

The Jets should have listened. Whats your feeling on David Fales? 

The Vikings reportedly held a private workout with Fales. 

Ok So the Vikes had a workout with Fales. Do you think they will draft a QB in the 1st round? If you don't think they will, then they will wait till the 3/4th to draft a QB and that could be Fales. typically, teams will bring in the players they are interested in the first 3-4 rounds.

What about Tajh Boyd, or Mettenberger? I see Boyd as a 5th/6th round pickup and Mettenberger as a late 2 early three pickup.

LL

Ok So the Vikes had a workout with Fales. Do you think they will draft a QB in the 1st round? If you don't think they will, then they will wait till the 3/4th to draft a QB and that could be Fales. typically, teams will bring in the players they are interested in the first 3-4 rounds.

What about Tajh Boyd, or Mettenberger? I see Boyd as a 5th/6th round pickup and Mettenberger as a late 2 early three pickup.

LL

If the right QB is there (Bridgewater) I believe they will draft a QB in the 1st round. If Bridgewater is already taken there's a possibility that they may pass on the QB position and take one in the 2nd round/3rd round. Remember, the Vikes just gave Matt Cassel a 2 year 10 million dollar contract. Im not saying that Cassel's the answer, I am saying that the Vikes don't have to reach at the position. 

This could also be why the Vikings are working out guys like Fales. A player that they can develop for the next year or 2 if they can get production out of Cassel. If so then going another direction with their first 2 picks in the draft can spread talent to other positions while developing their future QB behind a 2 year rental. 

This situation is why I'm high on Fales as well. The Jets can get a QB who doesn't have to jump in and go 'Super Bowl or bust" in his first year. I think Fales working with coaches like David Lee and Marty M. and hitting the gym for his first 2 years could do wonders for his game. This would also give Geno enough time to solidify himself as the long term answer (3 years) and if not then we can turn the keys over to Fales and have him compete it out with whomever we have on depth. Atleast you have a QB who isn't new to the NFL, who knows your system, the players & coaches and has been in development under the eyes of the organization. 

Lots of people were. Russell Wilson has nothing to do with Fales.

Let's remember who wasn't though: Tannenbaum and Rex.

Jim Harbaugh thinks David Fales is a "Top 5" QB in this draft. 

Jim Harbaugh: San Jose State's David Fales is top-5 QB in draft class

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

April 26, 2014 11:33 am ET

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

David-Fales-draft-final.jpgIs David Fales one of the top-five quarterbacks in the draft? Jim Harbaugh says yes. (USATSI)

More NFL offseason: Mock Drafts | Prospect Rankings | Pro days | Top free agents

In three seasons as an NFL head coach, Jim Harbaugh has proven at least one thing: He knows a good Mountain West quarterback when he sees one.

Take former Utah quarterback Alex Smith for example. When Harbaugh arrived in San Francisco in 2011, Smith had already been with the 49ers for five pretty unsuccessful seasons. Before Harbaugh's arrival, Smith went 19-31 in 50 starts.

Instead of dumping Smith right away though, Harbaugh kept him around for two seasons and the former No. 1 overall pick went 19-5-1 in 25 starts under Harbaugh. And just in case you're wondering, during Smith's college years, Utah was in the Mountain West.

In 2011, the 49ers coach plucked former Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick out of the second round of the NFL Draft.

This year, Harbaugh thinks there's another Mountain West quarterback who could do some damage in the NFL: Former San Jose State quarterback David Fales.

"I'm a big fan," Harbaugh said of Fales, via the San Jose Mercury News. "My personal quarterback evaluation of this class has David in the top five."

Harbaugh didn't list his top-five, but he did list the reasons why he likes Fales.

"I think he sees the field. I think he throws the ball downfield," Harbaugh said. "A lot of quarterbacks are doing what they're taught in their systems. He's a guy that is an example of a quarterback who throws to the outside lanes. He throws the ball in the seams and gets it downfield and sees the field well. He's got a real savviness about the position."

In CBSSports.com's latest draft rankings, Fales is currently listed as the 10th best quarterback available. One of the knocks on Fales is his arm strength, but Harbaugh didn't see that while watching him at the 49ers' local Pro Day on Friday.

"You see a very compact throwing motion, more compact than I saw during his career," Harbaugh said. "But he was still throwing the ball 50-55 yards downfield, throwing the deep comebacks, the outside lanes like he threw in college. Easily, accurately and on a line. We talked a little after the workout. I don't see any deficiencies that way."

Fales is currently projected to go in the fifth or sixth round of the draft, but if other coaches are seeing what Harbaugh's seeing, the former San Jose State quarterback might end up shooting up a few rounds in May.  

General manager Trent Baalke agrees with Harbaugh about the local signal-caller. 

"I like a lot of things about David. He's very composed. He's a very smart football player," Baalke said. "You look at him statistically, he's won a lot of games. He won a shootout at Fresno which I happened to be at. He's got good arm talent. He can make all the throws. He's very accurate, especially in the short to intermediate game. There's a lot to like about him."

Archived