Predict our opening opponent

SouthernJet

I love it, no one has picked same team yet. .

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS  

Jet fans motto w/box of tums thrown in:

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends; 
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

2014 NFL Schedule: Flex games can now start in Week 5
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The League Editor
  • Published: April 23, 2014 at 02:28 p.m.
  • Updated: April 23, 2014 at 02:41 p.m.

The NFL schedule comes out Wednesday night at 8 pm ET. It will arrive with a significant change in the league's flexible scheduling procedures.

Around The League has learned that games can be flexed into Sunday Night Football as early as Week 5, according to a league source. In the past, "flex scheduling" did not start until Week 11.

The potential flex games between Week 5 and Week 10 come with a stipulation. The NFL can't change the tentative Sunday Night Football game every week. The league can flex up to two games total into Sunday night between Weeks 5-10. The rest of the flexible schedule procedures from previous years remains intact. After Week 11, the NFL can flex any Sunday night game.

As before, only Sunday afternoon games are subject to being moved into the Sunday night window. Thursday, Saturday, and Monday games are not affected. Flex scheduling allows the league to handpick a game to be moved into the Sunday Night NBC window, avoiding lackluster matchups. 

The procedure to decide on flex scheduling remains the same. The NFL will decide to flex games after consultation with the television networks. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the Sunday night game for Weeks 5-16. There is no tentative Sunday night game scheduled for Week 17, as usual. The league has to announce the final Sunday schedule with at least six days notice. 

Ultimately, this tweak gives the league greater flexibility to program high-quality matchups on Sunday night throughout the season. The league can avoid airing a matchup nationally that looks a lot worse in the cold light of October than it does on the day the schedule is released.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast," the guys talk Geno Smith's future in New York and pick the winners and losers of free agency.

wow, big change and effects flight/hotel plans,,ope Jets ?GB isnt messed up due to flex

Around The League has learned that games can be flexed into Sunday Night Football as early as Week 5, according to a league source. In the past, "flex scheduling" did not start until Week 11.

Yes if you are planning a game out the NFL can royally screw you  multiple weeks possibly

It's probably going to be an away game. We have opened at home every year from 2010-2013, we are due to have the away slot this year while the Giants take the home slot. I think the schedule makers want Revis returning to NY to be primetime so it won't be week 1, I think we might have a monday night or sunday night game week 2 at home against the Patriots, our home opener. For week 1, I think we will be either @KC @SD or @ MIA or BUF

I think the schedule makers will make Broncos @ Seahawks the first game of the season, to make up for that horrible super bowl.

They might, but that won't stop it from being Jets vs. Broncos in wk 2.

I think the schedule makers will make Broncos @ Seahawks the first game of the season, to make up for that horrible super bowl.

They usually got for some other late-playoffs rematch, but not a SB rematch. 

I could see Pats vs. Broncos being good for ratings, but the league wouldn't do that to the Pats. They'll likely start the season with a few easy matchups, and won't have to play anyone tough until they've got good, current-year film on them. Same happened last year I think. Pats had a handful of wins before they faced anyone that even made them break a sweat, including us.

After realizing we are playing TEN on the road, I think it will be TEN, providing some semi-interesting week 1 storyline which are so often lacking outside the week 1 prime time games.

I could definitely see this also- some intrigue to opening game

Raiders

Cheater

The Jets will open their 2014 regular season against the Raiders at home, according to a league source who requested anonymity because the schedule has not been officially released.

The time of the game, which will be held on Sept. 7, remains unclear, but seems likely to be 1 p.m.

The NFL's full regular-season schedule will be released at 8 p.m. Wednesday. But teams already know who they will play and where the games will be held.

Here is who the Jets will play, and where the games will be played, with the rest of the schedule's dates to come around 8 ...

Home: Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Broncos, Raiders, Steelers, Lions, Bears

Away: Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Chiefs, Chargers, Titans, Packers, Vikings

Archived