NFL Expanding Draft & Playoffs?

JetNation

NFL_DraftTwo interesting changes that are being discussed involve expanding the playoffs to 14 teams and expanding the draft to include a 4th day.  For some draft junkies, three days isn’t enough. That one seems excessive but here are some more details.

Expanded Playoffs – NFL.com

Roger Goodell: Owners to talk playoff expansion in May

The door remains ajar for playoff expansion to 14 teams this season.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday that owners would discuss expanded playoffs at the Spring League Meeting in Atlanta on May 20.

According to Newsday’s Bob Glauber, Goodell said it is possible owners could approve expanding playoffs as early as this season. If no vote is taken at that meeting, it won’t happen this year.

Aside from the owners’ approval, the players’ union must also approve playoff expansion.

Not sure if this will pass for this season, but anything that brings in more money will eventually pass. So plan on seeing a larger playoff pool in future seasons.

Four Days For The NFL Draft

Like I mentioned above, four days for the draft does seem to be a bit much.  If the NFL can find a way to monetize it, they will consider it.  It is hard to think that the networks will be really excited over televising rounds 6 and 7 on day four.

Only one team gets a bye.

There can be only one.

One bye to rule them all.

That's all I can come up with for now. :)

That doesn't jive with the rumors of Godell wanting to move the Super Bowl to Presidents weekend, still would only have 3 playoff weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, again I could be wrong/mislead, but I think the feeling is Godell wants to add 1 more week of playoffs to achieve the presidents week thing, and make A LOT more $$$$ with the extra weekend ruled by football in the fall/winter.

That doesn't jive with the rumors of Godell wanting to move the Super Bowl to Presidents weekend, still would only have 3 playoff weeks leading up to the Super Bowl, again I could be wrong/mislead, but I think the feeling is Godell wants to add 1 more week of playoffs to achieve the presidents week thing, and make A LOT more $$$$ with the extra weekend ruled by football in the fall/winter.

I think Goodell's biggest problem is his view of himself is in line with your misspelling of his name.  The rest is just the natural flow from that starting point.

If they just eliminate a bye and add an extra wild card game; I'm down with that. That's not so much of a change. It also allows them the flexibility of adding an additional 2 teams to the league if they have markets they want to expand into.

It's not as simple as adding another game, and this is just further evidence of the disconnect between reality and what's going on in Roger Goodell's head. And extra wc game would require a salary cap increase, expanded rosters, TV schedules To be adjuated and a new CBA, which the players union would demand. That's not to mention that four preseason games are necessary, especially if you have a rookie qb. As a fan, I'd love to see it, but it's not as simple as Goodell makes it seem. I'm not surprised though, this is the guy who penalizes players if they dare show any emotion after scoring a touchdown

Only one team gets a bye.

That's right. So #7 seed plays at #2 seed; #6 seed plays at #3 seed (like it is now); and #5 seed plays at #4 seed (like it is now). #1 seed gets the only bye. Only difference would be 3 WC games in each conference instead of two (early afternoon, late afternoon, and night).

I'd support 7 teams in each conference for playoffs. 1 seed gets the bye, the other 6 play, then 4 teams remain in each conference after wild card weekend setting up the traditional divisional round. It would make the end of the season more competitive since the tops teams would be playing hard till the end as long as they had a chance at the #1 seed and bye week. It would also give the top wildcard team the opportunity host a home playoff game which is a good thing in my view.

Also, the league should really make the playoff schedule uniform, a team should not be playing on short rest compared to another team in the playoffs. Sometimes a team plays on Sunday, then plays next Saturday in the playoffs, while their opponent may have played Saturday and then play next Saturday as well getting more rest. The NFL could change this by showing AFC and NFC games on separate days entirely. So wildcard Saturday and divisional Saturday would only be AFC games, and likewise wildcard Sunday and divisional Sunday would be NFC games, then just play both Championships on Championship Sunday so that even though one conference may get 1 day less to prepare (and conferences could alternate each year on the days), they would have equal time to prepare as their opponent does. Remember in 2010, we played @Patriots on Divisional Sunday, the Steelers already won the day before, then we had to travel to Pittsburgh and play them on shorter rest for the AFC Championship, the league should not allow this for the playoffs.

I think an expanded playoff would be great. I think the Draft should be two days...the 3rd and 4 days of the proposed draft would be a snoozefest. They (draft announcers) already zip through those draft anouncements in the latter half of the draft and really, its not as excting as the first 3-4 rounds. By round 6 you ask yourself after every pick "who was that?" or "is that a school?".

LL

I think it would be idiotic to expand the playoffs.  As it is, there have been repeated instances of teams with losing records making the playoffs as it is.  I'm fairly certain that's actually been a much more common occurence than teams with 10 or 11 wins missing out.  By expanding the playoffs you are only decreasing the value of regular season games, especially if you're talking about expanding it to 18 games.  With only one bye week you'd have plenty of teams out of the hunt for the bye but already locked into the playoffs with multiple games left to go.  In truth the current structure with the number of teams, games, and playoff spots keeps things about as even as you could ask for.  As soon as you start changing all of that, everything from the scheduling system to the divisions goes right down the toilet.  It all seems pretty stupid when you consider that I've yet to see any particularly logical reasons given why any of this crap makes any sense to do.

Archived