Pauline Reporting That Rex Is All Over Tajh Boyd

RutgersJetFan

As posted yesterday, the New York Jets traveled to Clemson and worked out quarterback Tajh Boyd, running back Roderick McDowell and linebacker Quandon Christian as well as tight end Brandon Ford from the 2013 draft class. I’m told the Jets sent their quarterback coach to the workout for Boyd. For weeks I’ve been alerted that the Jets, specifically head coach Rex Ryan, really likes Boyd. In fact Ryan told Boyd during Clemson’s pro-day he would try and find a way to pick him up during the draft. With three compensatory picks in the sixth round its easy to see Boyd being selected by the franchise.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan told Boyd during Clemson’s pro-day he would try and find a way to pick him up during the draft

Unless someone tells me this is commonplace, where coaches and GMs tell kids this all the time, I'm long past this practice of Rex's being old.  Why not just hold a press conference and announce it to the league? At what point does he realize that these kids will not all keep this info to themselves.

I secretly hope this is some Machiavellian scheme of Idzik's, where he uses Rex and tells him, "Hey, everyone knows your history.  Here's a list of players we have no interest in.  Go tell them we're definitely drafting them if they're available so someone else takes them instead of someone we're actually interested in drafting."  If only I didn't know how ridiculous that was.  This is Rex announcing another potentially key draft pick.  

I don't know where he's going to go, and he may be there for one of our 6th round compensatory picks, but NFL.com has him projected in the 4th-5th round.  If someone else takes him in that area, I hope Rex's mouth didn't convince someone to pull the trigger on him a round earlier than they'd have liked.

Seriously, what does Rex gain by telling this to a player? In what possible way is this beneficial? He hasn't exactly established himself as the HC that every college QB dreams of playing for.  

Unless someone tells me this is commonplace, where coaches and GMs tell kids this all the time, I'm long past this practice of Rex's being old.  Why not just hold a press conference and announce it to the league? At what point does he realize that these kids will not all keep this info to themselves.

I secretly hope this is some Machiavellian scheme of Idzik's, where he uses Rex and tells him, "Hey, everyone knows your history.  Here's a list of players we have no interest in.  Go tell them we're definitely drafting them if they're available so someone else takes them instead of someone we're actually interested in drafting."  If only I didn't know how ridiculous that was.  This is Rex announcing another potentially key draft pick.  

I don't know where he's going to go, and he may be there for one of our 6th round compensatory picks, but NFL.com has him projected in the 4th-5th round.  If someone else takes him in that area, I hope Rex's mouth didn't convince someone to pull the trigger on him a round earlier than they'd have liked.

Seriously, what does Rex gain by telling this to a player? In what possible way is this beneficial? He hasn't exactly established himself as the HC that every college QB dreams of playing for.  

All valid points if any of it is true.  Problem is, we don't know that it is.  What we do know, is that "reporters" will say anything to generate buzz.

Simply, unless you're drafting a DL, Rex should not be allowed in the War Room. The man burned picks on Scotty McKnight and John Conner, for Chris's sake. Rex approaches roster-building like he's putting together the gnarliest frat house on campus.

Well Rex definitely is not smart. so I'm not quite sure why what he did surprised you. nor why you would try and contemplate why Rex does stupid things. lol accept it, our coach is dumb.

Probably all taken out of context. Rex probably said. "Oh boy I tell ya I got a figure out a way to pick you up on draft day". Or some other blow hard salesmen type meaningless BS statement. For all we know Rex was thinking UDFA. Now if this was a coveted top 100 pick and Ryan tipped our hand then he needs to be sent away each April on a Antarctic cruise or something. IMO Boyd will go 5th-6th round no matter what Rex the salesmen says.

Sperm - totally agree with your assessment. I think he did this with Coples also. It's stupid and if true Idzik cannot be happy. Personally I think this is 'draft news' and if I was a reporter I would be knocking on Idzik's door saying 'WTF!'

Well Rex definitely is not smart. so I'm not quite sure why what he did surprised you. nor why you would try and contemplate why Rex does stupid things. lol accept it, our coach is dumb.

Yeah, I'm sure one of the best HCs in the NFL is dumb.

You can't make this stuff up.

I wish I was so dumb to be one of the top 32 people on Earth at what I did and make millions of dollars per year for it.

If Rex really likes a QB and wants to draft him, the Jets are probably better off having another team leapfrog them to draft the guy.

In this case this isn't the first report that Rex likes Boyd. The report here actually makes me think the Jets aren't going to draft him. Seems like more of a case of connecting the dots on what may be interest than actual interest. Maybe I could see it if he's sitting there in the 7th or with a comp 6th and they haven't taken a QB yet and want to get him drafted - kind of like Scotty McKnight only Boyd could be the #3 QB.

Yeah, I'm sure one of the best HCs in the NFL is dumb.

You can't make this stuff up.

I wish I was so dumb to be one of the top 32 people on Earth at what I did and make millions of dollars per year for it.

I'm just commenting on stupid things he says. Just wondering if you can list for me just like 5 or 10 brilliant things Rex has done publicly to benefit the Jets since hes been HC? since of course you think he's very very smart.

I'll wait for your reply.

Also, if thats your line of thinking. you think Rich Kotite is smart too

I'm just commenting on stupid things he says. Just wondering if you can list for me just like 5 or 10 brilliant things Rex has done publicly to benefit the Jets since hes been HC? since of course you think he's very very smart.

I'll wait for your reply.

Well I think he did push for snacks and he has become a very good DT

Well I think he did push for snacks and he has become a very good DT

Lol I do have to admit that if it wasn't for seeing Rex gorge himself with pretzel m&ms I probably would have never tried them.

All valid points,  If this were 2 years ago this would be a concern, if Rex actually said it.  Don't think at this point Rex has a major impact on personnel, or Revis would be a Jet IMO

Pauline is probably guessing, and trying to make a splash.  The Jets sent Rex, and their QB's coach.  That would indicate to anyone paying attention, that they have some real  interest in Boyd.

Pauline decides to sweeten the story.

Really doesn't matter, the fact that the Jets spent the money to send their QB's coach announces that they are interested in Boyd

what's the big deal. it's not like rex is going to tell a top prospect the jets are going to draft him and then he tells the world on the morning of the draft and another team trades into the spot before us and drafts him

pffft

I also think this has something to do w/his son being on the team,, he's TOO familiar w/Clemson players probably to be rational :(

I'm guessing Rex says something like this to maybe 100 kids a year, I'm also guessing he's not the only one saying things like this.

Entirely possible, and the comments only get reported for 1 player a year (this is the 3rd such time being reported in the past 4 drafts). While it's in no way far-fetched that these aren't remotely the only ones he says it to, he doesn't necessarily mean it to every one of them, and that others do it also, it's still a mindless practice.  There is literally no benefit to the Jets.  

There is a possible benefit to Rex. If we don't take the player and he ends up being good, then Rex gets it leaked out there that he would have taken the player.  It's like he gets the benefit of the players drafted and some other players that others drafted. Except in the case of the latter, if he sucks, it's easy to pass off as, "Aw Rex was just being nice." I don't think this factors into his comments, but rather it is an unintended side-effect if/when the player blabs it to others.

Rex 's son was on the team so of course he has a soft spot for Boyd. Be glad Idzik is making the picks

For all of Ryan's faults suspect this it really what's at work, throwing a bone to his son's program, may be ingratiatinjg his son with his team. Not a big deal.

I would say it is commonplace.  I knew someone who was graded as a 5-7 round pick and he was promised by multiple teams that he was their guy.  Sure, one of them happened to be Rex and it wound up backfiring because the guy spurned all the teams that promised to draft him and went to a Atlanta as an UFA...

Simply, unless you're drafting a DL, Rex should not be allowed in the War Room. The man burned picks on Scotty McKnight and John Conner, for Chris's sake. Rex approaches roster-building like he's putting together the gnarliest frat house on campus.

Agree on all points.  Rex seems to lack adult self control and common sense when it comes to these things.  Big mouth needs to read "The Art Of War" and Idzik needs to use a choke collar instead of just a short leash.

Archived