Pauline Reporting That Rex Is All Over Tajh Boyd

RutgersJetFan

I would say it is commonplace.  I knew someone who was graded as a 5-7 round pick and he was promised by multiple teams that he was their guy.  Sure, one of them happened to be Rex and it wound up backfiring because the guy spurned all the teams that promised to draft him and went to a Atlanta as an UFA...

If that's the case, then it's no big deal, and maybe it just gets reported with Rex because things out of his mouth make for better theater than from another coach, or even a Jets GM.

lol only jets fans would care what their coach says i mean get a life

Perhaps, but then most other teams' coaches don't say so much in the first place.  

There's also the perception - real or assumed - that this practice has already burned the team twice in round 1 recently (Irvin and Austin).  Maybe it didn't, and things would have unfolded exactly as they did even in the absence of Ryan making these comments to both.  But nothing was gained by saying anything, unless it was all a bluff and he secretly wanted someone else, which seems far less likely.  If he really wanted Irvin, the way to get him is to make someone else comfortable enough to trade down after you, or not trade down up ahead of you. That is accomplished by keeping your mouth shut and not letting everyone know you're in love with the kid.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many banana peels did he trip over during his trip to Clemson? How many balls was he juggling when he fell? Whoa ho wacky!

Things I like about Boyd:

Experienced

QB for probably the only half decent Clemson teams

Impressed by his last two bowl appearances

High character guy

Things I don't like:

I still don't like Clemson much, even if they have made some impressive leaps forward recently

He's short

Clemson

Not my type of QB prospect but but but...he has his resume in order? I think he could kick Matt Simms' ass.

If that's the case, then it's no big deal, and maybe it just gets reported with Rex because things out of his mouth make for better theater than from another coach, or even a Jets GM.

Perhaps, but then most other teams' coaches don't say so much in the first place.  

There's also the perception - real or assumed - that this practice has already burned the team twice in round 1 recently (Irvin and Austin).  Maybe it didn't, and things would have unfolded exactly as they did even in the absence of Ryan making these comments to both.  But nothing was gained by saying anything, unless it was all a bluff and he secretly wanted someone else, which seems far less likely.  If he really wanted Irvin, the way to get him is to make someone else comfortable enough to trade down after you, or not trade down up ahead of you. That is accomplished by keeping your mouth shut and not letting everyone know you're in love with the kid.

Irvin wasn't the one who Rex promised we'd draft him. Coples was.

OMG - this is such a huge deal. Rex allegedly tipped his hand on a 6th round pick. This literally could mean the end for the Jets. Seriously, someone needs to out a muzzle on Rex. This is franchising killing type stuff.

Brady was a 6th round pick. You don't tip your hand no matter when you're going to pick him. In the end it probably isn't a big deal but still just keep it close to the vest.

Didn't Rex say something that hinted he wasn't in love with the Hill pick?

in actuality he may have said that later but in initial article he seemed less that thrilled and reports were that he was pissed.. The rumor was that Terry Bradway was lobbying for Russel Wilson in Round 2 and Tannebaum was the one in love with hill, not Rex. There was rumored shouting match w/Bradway saying 'this kid is real deal'

Yep:

"Well, nothing told me he would (contribute)," Ryan told Don Banks of Sports Illustrated. "Nothing. When I saw the tape (of his collegiate play) I was concerned. But (Jets general manager) Mike Tannenbaum and (senior personnel executive) Terry Brady and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it."He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he's got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: 'Oh, that was my pick.' But it really wasn't."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000057378/article/rex-ryan-stephen-hill-not-my-pick-for-new-york-jets

Some confusion because he then generalizes to "a wideout" not being his dream pick at the end. Rex does strike me as the type who would love a grit nosed grinder slot WR like Welker or Edelman, would respect a guy with the skill level of a Johnson/Johnson/Fitzgerald/Green/Jones/etc, but has less patience for a guy with less hands and skills than the not highly skilled Braylon Edwards.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rex thought/thinks Hill was/is soft and too young/raw as a football player.

How long does Hill need to be the player be was drafted to be? Third year, I would think it's time to show up. Run your routes, catch the ball, block on running plays. Not rocket science.

there is good chance he is cut/traded before 9/7 unless he shines in camp/pre season.

Irvin wasn't the one who Rex promised we'd draft him. Coples was.

Thought I remembered it being Irvin.  And Austin last year.

I'm not going to argue; if my memory is bad on it then it's bad.  But it seems to be the same as the memory others have as well.

And I'm far from being Rex's biggest detractor here.  I generally like him as the HC.  Doesn't mean I like everything he does.  Far from it.

See, that bit is something I do like.  He's an emotional guy, and to me he's a likable one at that. But not only do I (generally) like him, but I don't think he should change completely because he's a head coach, to the point where he composes himself like he's playing a game of backgammon with someone over the internet.

There are other things he does that I'm not a fan of at all, and areas where I think he's in over his head.  Clearly we believe that demarcation line to be in different places.

As I've said in the past, to me the difference between 2 Jets head coaches who have both said things in clownish form (him and Herm) is that I never saw Herm as being someone with a gift for strategy.  I think that he may have been a fine position coach for DBs (he probably got more out of his talent than most, as he was a good player despite being nowhere near the most physically gifted), and is sometimes funny to listen to, but do think Rex is a good amount smarter.  And as such, I think a smart person can learn things.  Whether he will learn them is another story.  A clownish guy like Herm was never going to become a great head coach no matter how much experience he got.  Best we could hope for was our guys outplaying the Pats under Herm; you knew we were never going to outsmart them.  I don't feel that way with Rex, who has given both Brady and Belichick fits in the past even with his at-times goofy persona.  Not regularly, but no one does that regularly to those guys.  Especially when you don't have a good QB to make coaching mistakes disappear as though they never happened.

Rexx may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I refuse to believe he's dumb

enough to hype a player he wants to draft, to the national media, days before the

draft, although he did tell Geno to stick around last year after day one of the draft,

announcing to the world the Jets draft Geno the following day.

Oh well Rex is a bonehead, but Rex announcing who he likes offensively is actually

good things, teams stay away from Offensive players that Rex praises, I'm just glad

he decided to use his defensive players on offense last season, it worked.

Unless someone tells me this is commonplace, where coaches and GMs tell kids this all the time, I'm long past this practice of Rex's being old. Why not just hold a press conference and announce it to the league? At what point does he realize that these kids will not keep this info to themselves.

I secretly hope this is some Machiavellian scheme of Idzik's, where he uses Rex and tells him, "Hey, everyone knows your history. Here's a list of players we have no interest in. Go tell them we're definitely drafting them if they're available so someone else takes them instead of someone we're actually interested in drafting." If only I didn't know how ridiculous that was. This is Rex announcing another potentially key draft pick.

I don't know where he's going to go, and he may be there for one of our 6th round compensatory picks, but NFL.com has him projected in the 4th-5th round. If someone else takes him in that area, I hope Rex's mouth didn't convince someone to pull the trigger on him a round earlier than they'd have liked.

Seriously, what does Rex gain by telling this to a player? In what possible way is this beneficial? He hasn't exactly established himself as the HC that every college QB dreams of playing for.

completly agree , isn't this supposedly why we lost out on Austin last year?

Haven't we already established that Idzik runs the draft and doesn't defer to Rex?  Besides fodder for people to bitch about, this is a complete non-story.

I don't know about it being just fodder to bitch about. Looks like it's also perfect for predictable snark.

Thought I remembered it being Irvin.  And Austin last year.

I'm not going to argue; if my memory is bad on it then it's bad.  But it seems to be the same as the memory others have as well.

And I'm far from being Rex's biggest detractor here.  I generally like him as the HC.  Doesn't mean I like everything he does.  Far from it.

That's actually part of what was so confusing about the whole damn thing with Irvin.  The Jets hadn't been connected to Irvin at all, but the moment the Seahawks opted to pick him one spot ahead of the Jets, the NY media went crazy about how the Jets got bent over and raped, as Irvin was allegedly the guy they had wanted all along.  Meanwhile, the Jets drafted Coples, who was in fact the one Rex had promised they were drafting.  Frankly, the way the whole Irvin thing played out came across as utter bullsh*t to me from the day it was reported.  It seems only more ridiculous when you realize that the Seahawks were originally picking even higher in round 1 and yet traded down with the Eagles to that spot.  Hardly seems like the smartest move if they really thought the Jets were that in love with Irvin, considering it would have made it quite easy for the Jets to hop over Seattle had they wanted to.

Austin was a different story, as I do remember there being a lot of rumors about the Jets' interest in him before the draft.  I can't recall if he was actually given the Rex promise or not though.

Austin was a different story, as I do remember there being a lot of rumors about the Jets' interest in him before the draft.  I can't recall if he was actually given the Rex promise or not though.

austin told reporters the morning of the draft the jets told him they were going to take him

Something just flew over your head.

Nah, not really. It's a complete non-story that is based on something Boyd said, without even quoting him and yet it goes three pages of whining.  Players and OCs say this sh*t all the time: "boy, we'd really love to have you on the team if things fall properly." Hardly incendiary material there.  And not for nothing, but the fact that Boyd has a similar playing style to Geno and Vick would make him a decent selection on the third day to groom as a backup. Same as Logan Thomas who they have worked out.

Haven't we already established that Idzik runs the draft and doesn't defer to Rex? Besides fodder for people to bitch about, this is a complete non-story.

Us gnomes got together on GChat and decided to use this article to further the fictional narrative that Rex is a buffoon.

Archived