Rapoport tweets Jets looking to trade up (MERGED)

TnT

Madden scenario: Jets trade #18, Kenrick Ellis, and their 4th round selection to move up to #14. They're able to get ahead of Pittsburgh who seems to be looking at a lot of similar players. Ellis is somewhat expendable with Damon Harrison on the roster and the Jets have been showing some interest in NT's which seems a bit strange given they're in pretty good shape with those two on the roster. 

The Bears move down in order to target a safety, hoping one slides by Dallas and Baltimore. They need a defensive tackle to help one of the NFL's worst run defenses last year but unless they love Louis Nix there's not a definitive run stuffer available and their safeties were historically bad last year also. This way they kill two birds with one stone in the first round, and pick up an extra selection.

Obviously depends who's on the board at #14 (would need to be someone like OBJ and likely both safeties on the board for it to make sense for both sides. But I do think if the Jets move up, Chicago's a likely trade partner. Unless this is true and they want to get into the top 10 in which case it's probably Tampa or Minnesota, I'm just not sure how inclined either team would be to move down. Maybe Tampa if the top offensive talent is off the board and they don't want to go quarterback. Minnesota I could see going Donald in a worst case scenario if their other targets are off the board, which would be a great pick and I'd be a bit surprised to see them pass on to move down (unless it's for a huge package, which would be disappointing to see the Jets give up).

Of course best case scenario is Sammy Watkins slips to 5 and the Raiders take way less than fair value on the chart to move down because they know they're taking Carr but doing so at 5 would be silly. That's the dream.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's very Idzik, Trading into the top 10 for a Player that's going to be most likely be there at 18. Perhaps for Mike Evans, not Odell Beckham - It will cost us 400 points from the value chart and that's our 2nd.

rounder, I'd sooner trade back and pick up more picks.

trade-value-chart.jpg

Not going to happen in the draft. I don't care if he trades down. Hope he doesn't trade up though. I will continue to bash him for not putting the best (or anywhere close to the best) product on the field in 2014.

Also, STFU.

:cry:

Most mock drafts have the Jets picking Odell where we're at already, there's no need to trade up for him. The only person worthy of trading up for is Mack, Watkins, or Evans maybe..

I agree about it being questionable to trade up for obj, but those mock drafts are worthless in a practical sense outside of entertainment and setting perceived values on players. Trades greatly skew what players are available and with the rookie salary change a few years ago, there's less risk in trading up for higher picks for your cap.

If Rex is such a great coach, why would he need another 1st round corner? How many first round picks were in Seattle's secondary that was one of the key reasons they won? They can get a corner in a later round and still be fine.

If a trade up for someone like Evans is available, you make it every day.

Seattle won because they totally shut down Manning's passing game using the LOB.

He quotes my posts incessantly to whine at me about my whining. It's tired.

I'll avoid the harshness next time. Sorry.

Proper grammar and punctuation are your friends. You're never going to get the Pulitzer with grammar like that.

:rl:

The draft pick value chart (I know, but what else can we use as a guide)

The chart is further off for trades under the new CBA than it used to be, but it's still pretty good. 18+49 gets us somewhere between 8 and 12. The third and fourth rounders aren't likely to be of much use in terms of moving up in the first round of this draft. 

Archived