Manish- Idzik needs to get bold

faba

NFL draft: NY Jets GM John Idzik needs to get bold this offseason The possibilities are plentiful with a league-high 12 picks. Idzik will have the flexibility to trade eight of them, but will he act on the opportunity or remain stubborn?

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 11:36 PM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

COREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSJohn Idzik should change his approach and get aggressive at the 2014 NFL draft.

Jets general manager John Idzik has played it safe for the better part of 16 months, making a litany of low-risk, cost-friendly moves.

He has transformed a transparent organization to a distinct shade of opaque, leaving some people on One Jets Drive to wonder whether he’s shrewd, paranoid or both.

“He is thorough,” Terry Bradway, the team’s senior director of college scouting, said last week. “He is detailed. Sometimes, I may get a little impatient with the deliberate actions.”

Less than two months after Woody Johnson purged “patience” from the Jets’ lexicon, the time is now for Idzik to take chances without being reckless in the draft. Slow and steady makes perfect sense if you have a lifetime appointment. Obviously, Idzik doesn’t.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

He should make bold moves during the three-day draft to position the Jets for a playoff run in 2014 and beyond. After Idzik used only about 47% of his available salary-cap space this offseason (excluding the projected rookie pool amount), he must be aggressive this week to fill a few glaring holes on Rex Ryan’s team. To that end, the Jets have told teams that they’re interested in trading up in the first round, according to a source.

Idzik handled free agency with the same cautious optimism that the people who work for him have adopted entering Thursday night. They’re hopeful that he picks up the pace. The possibilities are plentiful with a league-high 12 picks. Idzik will have the flexibility to trade eight of them, but will he act on the opportunity or remain stubborn?

Although the Jets have only three premium draft picks (one in each of the first three rounds), Idzik has two tradeable fourth-round selections (Nos. 104 and 115) that could be valuable chips to leapfrog a team or two in the first round or make larger jumps in the second or third rounds.

He could package picks to score an additional second/third rounder or trade for a veteran player (see: Chris Ivory deal).

The Jets even have the ammunition to land an additional first-round pick. (His former employers, the Seahawks, by the way, have the last pick in the first round.) Jets fans would be downright giddy if Idzik somehow managed to address the team’s two biggest needs — cornerback and pass catcher — on the first night of the draft.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Idzik didn’t move up or down in his first draft, but if you actually believe that the Jets will select 12 players this week, I have some prime real estate just east of the San Andreas Fault that may interest you. Idzik will make deals, but how much risk is he willing to absorb? The GM likely will be able to hit the coaching re-set button after the 2014 season if the Jets don’t have a winning record for a fourth consecutive year, but he’ll be out of scapegoats.

Mike Tannenbaum, Idzik’s predecessor, traded up for Darrelle Revis and David Harris, pillars of the teams that went to two straight AFC Championship Games, in his second draft. Tannenbaum’s draft philosophy was quality over quantity. He selected only 41 players in seven drafts. Idzik values quantity in what is an inexact science.

Tannenbaum assembled his version of the Core Four (D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Revis and Harris) in his first two drafts, setting up the Jets for success. Although Ryan generously gave Idzik an “A-plus” for his 2013 draft, the reality is that Sheldon Richardson is the only reason why the GM deserves a passing grade at this point. Question marks hang over the other players taken with premium picks, including Geno Smith, guard Brian Winters and Dee Milliner, whose final four games were not nearly as magnificent as some would have you believe.

Idzik’s honeymoon is over.

He predictably doesn’t think that his conservative approach during free agency (see: cornerbacks) puts additional pressure on him to have a successful second draft.

Spoiler alert: It does.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-nfl-draft-time-jets-gm-idzik-attack-article-1.1782386#ixzz313A189Oi

i dont buy this theory that they can't use 12 picks. Good teams cut their 6-7th rounders if it doesn't work out.

it happens all the time 

or maybe they get real players and cut the bums from last year like Aboushi

It would be nice if the Jets could pull off another deal in which we trade a draft pick in order to add a good established player from a team that could use a bit of salary relief.

**** this guy.....really? a professional?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-set-start-farce-race-article-1.1432354

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 10:34 PM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-set-start-farce-race-article-1.1432354#ixzz313OjKTU8

General manager John Idzik, the CFO of Starship 7 Enterprises, won’t be handing out Smith jerseys in the MetLife Stadium parking lot, but he’ll have a clear rooting interest. Idzik’s desire for Smith to earn the starting job over incumbent Mark Sanchez, of course, makes perfect sense.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-set-start-farce-race-article-1.1432354#ixzz313Ogc3VI

He might have an NFL career but the reason why he and Campbell made this team is because the Jets lacked anyone better. Maybe 12 picks can help with that, alls im sayin

Aboushi I buy made the team because the Jets lacked anyone better. Campbell may have made the team because they think he has starters upside. Maybe. I don't see why they would draft a guy in the sixth with the intention of changing his position and then protect him by keeping him on the active roster (instead of letting him develop on the practice squad) unless they viewed him as a guy who had a good chance to develop into a starter. They could have invested more in a guard this offseason too.

All of that said, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. But my guess is they actually really like Campbell. Obviously that all goes out the window if they draft a guard tomorrow or Friday.

He has transformed a transparent organization to a distinct shade of opaque, leaving some people on One Jets Drive to wonder whether he’s shrewd, paranoid or both.

He should make bold moves during the three-day draft to position the Jets for a playoff run in 2014 and beyond.

Leaving some people on One Jets Drive (aka Manish and Cimini) to wonder whether he's shrewd, paranoid or both. Statements like this are unnecessary and just bad writing, you can read the bitterness through the writing.

Isn't the second statement complete opposite? If you are making bold moves you are likely trading a lot of your draft picks away and mortgaging your future. We can fill a lot of holes with 12 picks and I like the idea of using all those picks so that we can for once get some late round gems and/or depth. The only trade that I would likely be excited about is being able to trade our second round pick and later picks to get back in the first round. I don't want to move up from 18 and I really want this team to build some depth.

Aboushi I buy made the team because the Jets lacked anyone better. Campbell may have made the team because they think he has starters upside. Maybe. I don't see why they would draft a guy in the sixth with the intention of changing his position and then protect him by keeping him on the active roster (instead of letting him develop on the practice squad) unless they viewed him as a guy who had a good chance to develop into a starter. They could have invested more in a guard this offseason too.

All of that said, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. But my guess is they actually really like Campbell. Obviously that all goes out the window if they draft a guard tomorrow or Friday.

Aboushi was terrible last preseason and so was Campbell. I have no doubt the team really likes both of em. 

Campbell probably could have been taxied. There's no great demand for a college DT who can't play the position to get signed to remaining regular season guaranteed money.  And even if someone tries to steal the Jets could match or whatever. 

Aboushi was terrible last preseason and so was Campbell. I have no doubt the team really likes both of em. 

Campbell probably could have been taxied. There's no great demand for a college DT who can't play the position to get signed to remaining regular season guaranteed money.  And even if someone tries to steal the Jets could match or whatever. 

Was actually surprised Aboushi made the team last year. His preseason made Vlad look like Larry Allen.

The Daily News needs to do a lot better, they are now officially a disgrace,

our GM will never so much as read such a low life garbage writer, this is a lot

more like a fan rant of a fan site, not a feature for a major newspaper, BS.

I wasn't a fan of the Aboushi pick at the time and still am not. And that's exactly why I think they must think Campbell has starters upside. The whole situation with him makes no sense. Aboushi even when he was drafted I never saw as anything except a backup swing guard/tackle. So if that's what he ends up being, fine. But Campbell was really a pretty big risk (for a sixth round pick that may not mean a ton) - would imagine most position conversions like that you'd want to be a UDFA signing and a practice squad guy - as you said.

Mike Tannenbaum, Idzik’s predecessor, traded up for Darrelle Revis and David Harris, pillars of the teams that went to two straight AFC Championship Games, in his second draft. Tannenbaum’s draft philosophy was quality over quantity. He selected only 41 players in seven drafts. Idzik values quantity in what is an inexact science.

Tannenbaum assembled his version of the Core Four (D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Revis and Harris) in his first two drafts, setting up the Jets for success.

2435586-2707097402-vTvkp.gif

Archived