Thoughts on Calvin Pryor

Freemanm

Dennard was the BPA pick but Pryor is a good fit for the scheme and the kind of safety that NFL teams covet in recent times. Decent pick.

Dennard is 5-10 with short arms and ran a 4.5.  You watch him play in college and you can see he has questionable speed and had to rely on mugging guys a lot of the time.  If we thought he was BPA he would be a Jet right now. 

Pryor is going to light it up.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word. I'm surprised, given that evidence, that 32 teams didn't draft safety in the first.

the 2014 draft has a sharp drop in talent once you get past the top 2 or 3 prospects and the Jets have needed a safety pretty much since Erik McMillan one rookie of the year.  

The WR position is probably the deepest position in the draft.   The Jets should still be able to get a starter quality WR and TE in rd 2,3

Not undermining the point at all.  Pointing out to the guys crying about not drafting for need that Brandon Cooks playing slot WR would not really fill a need either.  If anything, Saftey is a bigger need than Slot WR.  Regardless- we got the best player.  The Jets had Pryor higher on the board than Cooks and that's the bottom line. 

Cooks played on the outside, not the slot. You want to make it a slam dunk that he's definitely a slot receiver now that he's a pro, well go ahead but I'd rather you just shaddap. :shake:

C'mon, the Saints always hit on round 1 WRs, and are amazing at drafting WRs in general.  The last time they hit on one was about as lucky as can be (Colston with a compensatory 7th round pick; they were so keen on him as a prospect they felt he was far less worthy of the 171st pick than the great Mike Haas, who never caught an NFL pass).  

And incidentally, drafting Cooks is the first time since 2007 that the Saints took an offensive player with their first pick.  The last one they took was Robert Meachem, and what a great pick he was!  Maybe if he'd been lucky enough to play with some halfway-decent QBs over the years he might have actually been something.  Meachem would have been there for our pick, but we stupidly traded up for a freaking DB (yawn).

Kenny Stills was a great pick.

HOME RUN!!!!!!!!   Rex has gotta be frothing at the bit to watch this defense gel!!  Youth , speed, strength, and another year together.  I keep hearing how its a QB driven league!!!  Really?  Says who, Colin?  Francessa?  Hodge?  We've done enough offensively.  We need to bolster up our defense and make it DOMINANT!!!!   Don't misunderstand me, I thoroughly enjoy offense, am elated to see big plays as well as methodical drives.  But in my experience, NOTHING comes close to ROCKING THE STADIUM , than when your defense  GRINDS THE OFFENSE INTO THE GROUND!!!     that's just me!!!  Oh yeah, 1 more thing.....GO JETS!!! :box: 

HOME RUN!!!!!!!!   Rex has gotta be frothing at the bit to watch this defense gel!!  Youth , speed, strength, and another year together.  I keep hearing how its a QB driven league!!!  Really?  Says who, Colin?  Francessa?  Hodge?  We've done enough offensively.  We need to bolster up our defense and make it DOMINANT!!!!   Don't misunderstand me, I thoroughly enjoy offense, am elated to see big plays as well as methodical drives.  But in my experience, NOTHING comes close to ROCKING THE STADIUM , than when your defense  GRINDS THE OFFENSE INTO THE GROUND!!!     that's just me!!!  Oh yeah, 1 more thing.....GO JETS!!! :box: 

LMFAO at "We've done enough offensively"

Im so happy to amuse YFA!!  I live for it!!   Lets see, we need WRS , right? TE? how abt  OL?   hmm in fact, we might as well get another QB or two , while were at it.  Hell maybe we just need a Whole NEW TEAM!!!  GMAFB!!!   and,,,I dont seem to remember the Seahags as offensive jaugernauts, maybe i was on mars . (possible)                     ......GO JETS!!!!   :box:  

Kenny Stills was a great pick.

Meh.  We'll see.  He has 2 other guys on the team taking attention away from him and a perennial 5000-yard QB.  And with that, and starting 10 games, he had 600 yards.

It's fine for a rookie, but considering those significant advantages, I'd hardly call him great yet.  Let's see if he's even starting this year.

Plus I missed the part where he was drafted in round 1.  

This is the most impressive display of bold, different sized fonts, punctuation marks, all caps and emoticons I've seen since I was a twelve year old girl on Myspace.

Meh.  We'll see.  He has 2 other guys on the team taking attention away from him and a perennial 5000-yard QB.  And with that, and starting 10 games, he had 600 yards.

It's fine for a rookie, but considering those significant advantages, I'd hardly call him great yet.

He was one of the best deep threats in the league according to every metric I saw. 

Meh. We'll see. He has 2 other guys on the team taking attention away from him and a perennial 5000-yard QB. And with that, and starting 10 games, he had 600 yards.

It's fine for a rookie, but considering those significant advantages, I'd hardly call him great yet.

Stills is a good player. But you're right just like Stills...Cooks will have a ton of advantages to put up big numbers. He's basically taking the Lance Moore role. Stills being the Meachem/Henderson guy.

That's also an offense we knocked around last year.

Stills is a good player. But you're right just like Stills...Cooks will have a ton of advantages to put up big numbers. He's basically taking the Lance Moore role. Stills being the Meachem/Henderson guy.

No he isn't taking the Lance Moore role lol. Lance Moore is a slow slot WR who pretty much only caught the ball underneath in the red zone in recent years. Cooks is an outside deep threat NTM a great returner. 

He was one of the best deep threats in the league according to every metric I saw. 

Let's see if he's even a starter this year.  He had a few big catches from a QB who got production out of Robert Meachem, Deverey Henderson, Lance Moore, and other guys Jets fans would be complaining about if they were our starters.  

Metric shmetric.  He had 2 giant receivers drawing obvious attention away from him, and a QB who drops back to pass nearly 700x per season.  Given 10 starts, his production was merely fine, nothing more.  He sure did nothing against our sorry secondary.

If he starts putting up Colston's numbers then I'll agree he was a great pick.  But as it stands, with Colston and Graham on the team, AND with this supposed great pick who started 10 games, the fact is the Saints still went WR in round 1.

No he isn't taking the Lance Moore role lol. Lance Moore is a slow slot WR who pretty much only caught the ball underneath in the red zone in recent years. Cooks is an outside deep threat NTM a great returner.

Cooks isn't a burner. He's not a Desean/Santana type of athlete. The wiggle isn't there...he'll be a productive high volume slot in the Saints offense.

I didn't say he sucked.  I just think it's way premature to call him great when 3-4 guys in coverage were giving their attention to Graham and Colston (not to mention other targets on the field at the same time, like Moore or Watson), and a QB who puts up gaudy passing numbers every year no matter who they have.

I didn't say he sucked. I just think it's way premature to call him great when 3-4 guys in coverage were giving their attention to Graham and Colston (not to mention other targets on the field at the same time, like Moore or Watson), and a QB who puts up gaudy passing numbers every year no matter who they have.

I guess I could be slightly biased I liked him a lot at Oklahoma and likes him more than Broles.

That was such a nice array of compliments Gastineau!!!  Thank you. Do you know how many countless hrs I spend honing my craft?  It touches my heart to know that its appreciated.  However, I mean, well,  its none of my business of course, but I would think that it took more courage than all these football players we talk about combined have, than the courage you showed at 12years old, to undergo a complete gender change!  Im totally impressed.  Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! 

That was such a nice array of compliments Gastineau!!!  Thank you. Do you know how many countless hrs I spend honing my craft?  It touches my heart to know that its appreciated.  However, I mean, well,  its none of my business of course, but I would think that it took more courage than all these football players we talk about combined have, than the courage you showed at 12years old, to undergo a complete gender change!  Im totally impressed.  Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! 

Would you like to co-host a football podcast? We may have an opening soon. You're just the kind of positive influence the show needs.

Word. I'm surprised, given that evidence, that 32 teams didn't draft safety in the first.

Intellectually dishonest strawman posts are the sure sign of a temper tantrum. It's cool, just breathe, everything will be okay. Or, it won't and you'll get to gloat about how you were right all offseason.

if he developes, he could be a steal. mike evan was a top 5 pick. Benjamin #27. obviously, there was a reason for that. I never made a megatron comparison. you don't like him, I do. we will see how he turns out I guess

I know you didn't reference Megatron. I was saying that a guy his size and body control such as Megatron isn't even comparable. I don't think taking a guy in the first round is a steal because Evans went earlier in the same round. If it was the 3rd round then I'd be in agreement. If you draft a guy in the 1st not only are you expecting him not to be such a project but you expect him to start immediately. Benjamin is this year's Stephen hill. He shouldn't have been drafted in the first because he's more of a project than he is a solid 1st round talent. 

I agree that Pryor does not seem to be in that elite class of safety prospect you want to see in the first round. Still, I can live with the pick. I would have taken Kelvin Benjamin (who I have grouped with the Y receivers like Amaro instead of the wideouts), but I know I'm way in the minority on that. I was never crazy about Cooks, Lee, or the cornerback class in general, and I had the top four safeties going before 49, so it makes enough sense.

Yeah, I've reached the acceptance stage with it. He doesn't seem likely to outright bust, and there are enough positives to think that he'll be a plus contributor at minimum for years to come.

Yeah, I've reached the acceptance stage with it. He doesn't seem likely to outright bust, and there are enough positives to think that he'll be a plus contributor at minimum for years to come.

Nice to see the calm collected Tom Shane- not what did you do with the real one

My thoughts on Calvin Pryor are that so long as Rex is coach of this team, watching the Jets is going to be like when a nurse is trying to give you an IV and can't find the vein. So you have to get stabbed over and over and over and over. Then you finally go in for your colonoscopy but they mix up the charts and they remove a testicle. Then your insurance won't cover it and you grow old and die alone.

Those are my thoughts on Calvin Pryor.

Intellectually dishonest strawman posts are the sure sign of a temper tantrum. It's cool, just breathe, everything will be okay. Or, it won't and you'll get to gloat about how you were right all offseason.

It was mirthful snark

My thoughts on Calvin Pryor are that so long as Rex is coach of this team, watching the Jets is going to be like when a nurse is trying to give you an IV and can't find the vein. So you have to get stabbed over and over and over and over. Then you finally go in for your colonoscopy but they mix up the charts and they remove a testicle. Then your insurance won't cover it and you grow old and die alone.

This.

This

Personally I'm happy with the pick. You need to play defense to compete with the Patriots in the AFC east. I get the argument that the Jets defense is already the Jets strength, however it is a strength that still has many holes. The Jets have made not insignificant improvements on the offense with free agent acquisitions, and at the very least will be able to pick up a very good receiver in the middle rounds.

If the Jets next two picks are cornerback and a pass rushing linebacker, it tells me the Jets are serious about beating the offenses that they have to face on a regular basis.

Archived