Worst Jets draft pick of all time?

Freemanm

Kids. The Jets once went a six year stretch where Jeff Lageman was their best first rounder over that period of time. And that period failed to include such greats as "Lam" Jones or Carl Barzilawskas.

I'm gonna say that Pryor is the best. Also, the link below is not the greatest source, and every list I read fails to mention DeWayne Robertson, who was totally worthless and a wasted 1st round pick. Ken O'Brien should also be on the list. 

This is where you lost all credibility as a Jets fan. 

Lam Jones not only 1st round bust BUT we freaking traded TWO 1st round picks to move up and get him w/2nd pick in round 1  :( F Me :(

NFL career[edit]

Jones was drafted by the New York Jets from the University of Texas with the second overall pick in the 1980 NFL Draft, which the Jets received by trading two first round draft picks. He played wide receiver for the Jets from 1980-1985. Since Jones was a world-class sprinter, he could beat any coverage, but had trouble catching the football. He was viewed more as an athlete than a receiver. The $2.1 million contract he received was the first NFL contract worth over a million dollars.[4] He amassed 138 receptions and 13 touchdowns in 5 years.[5]

He is considered one of the Jets' top ten draft busts due to the draft picks traded for him and the large contract.[6]

Post-NFL career[edit]

After his football career, Jones battled drug and alcohol addiction, which started in high school. A hazing incident as an NFL rookie was an omen of things to come. When veterans took him out drinking, the group started downing shots. Unbeknownst to Jones, the vets were drinking soft drinks while pouring him liquor. [7] His troubles with drugs continued after his NFL career until a sexual molestation incident caused him to go to rehab.[8]

They werent the worst players the Jets have ever selected but if we are talking about worst picks...its Kyle Brady and Bryan Thomas.  Both had long succesful careers but they were terrible picks by the Jets.  The clear cut obvious pick for the Jets in those drafts were Warren Sapp and Ed Reed. 

Worst player they've ever selected?  Gholston. 

They werent the worst players the Jets have ever selected but if we are talking about worst picks...its Kyle Brady and Bryan Thomas.  Both had long succesful careers but they were terrible picks by the Jets.  The clear cut obvious pick for the Jets in those drafts were Warren Sapp and Ed Reed. 

Worst player they've ever selected?  Gholston. 

***DING***

the worst pick might have been Ken Obrien over Dan Marino. Kenny had a good career and all but he wasn't Marino it was a huge opportunity and they directly paid for it for years. 

the worst player (in my era) is Gholston. And trust me I'm an expert on bad draft picks. Predicting and being wrong about things is my forte.

Gholston was the wrongest I've ever been about any Jets player. And I didn't even love the pick I just argued that it made sense and for time to develop. The bum couldn't produce a single sack it was an absolute disgrace, given his physical gifts.

people talk about Drob in the same sentence, that guy had 16 career sacks, started 80+ games etc. He basically wore his knee out for this team. Drob was awesome compared to Gholston. 

has to be vernon gholston. #6 overall pick and his contribution to the team was 16 total tackles in 3 years and he banked at least 21 million in guaranteed money. how is it veen possible to only get 16 tackles in 3 years unless you were in traction for most of that time?

has to be vernon gholston. #6 overall pick and his contribution to the team was 16 total tackles in 3 years and he banked at least 21 million in guaranteed money. how is it veen possible to only get 16 tackles in 3 years unless you were in traction for most of that time?

Blair Thomas imo... Emmitt Smith being picked 15 picks later seals it.. If memory serves don't think there was an impact pass rusher drafted anywhere near him.

Also, the fact the I was young and impressionable and legitimately excited by the Blair Thomas pick made i sting a ton more. Gholston looked like a stiff from day 1

Kids. The Jets once went a six year stretch where Jeff Lageman was their best first rounder over that period of time. And that period failed to include such greats as "Lam" Jones or Carl Barzilawskas.

Joe Walton when asked what he thought about Lageman said ''He's Big''

Worst ..Roger Vick. Blair Thomas, Marion Barber Jr., Dave Cadigan. Chris Ward

Some of the best were John Riggins, Burgess Owens, Freeman McNeil, Bob Crable (cut short by injuries) Al Toon (injuries)

people talk about Drob in the same sentence, that guy had 16 career sacks, started 80+ games etc. He basically wore his knee out for this team. Drob was awesome compared to Gholston.

When you go bowling with butcher knives, you're bound to get to get injured.

I was no fan of Blair Thomas but to say the Jets drafted him over Emmitt Smith? Please consider the team Smith played on and tell me he would have been half as good if he had been selected by the Jets. He played behind a gigantic offensive line and opposing teams would pretty much only play dime or nickel against the Cowboys.

dorian boose ?

Alex van Dyke? Think he was some type of record-holder when we drafted him, like the most yards in NCAA history or something like that. We got 200 yards out of him in 3 years. And I remember some awful play in the 2nd half of the championship game against Denver that I've blacked out the specifics of. Horrible player.

What made him even worse was that we took him with the top pick in round 2 (#31?). Worse still was that we had Chrebet returning after a super rookie season, had just paid big bucks for Graham, and then took Keyshawn #1 in the country. Oh yeah, and we burned the #9 overall pick on a TE the year before. Then with that locked in, this is what we did with the #31 pick in the country? Just ridiculous. Sure could have used a Milloy or Alstott in that championship game, and both were sitting right there.

Archived