What is a fair grade for the Jets 2014 draft class

NYJetsVets91

What would you grade the Jets 2014 Draft Overall  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What is a fair grade for the Jets 2014 draft class?

Pryor and Amaro are instant starters, upgrades, and potential impact players. Hard not to like them.

The McDougle/Saunders picks were kinda head scratchers. I think the future grade on this draft will have a lot to do with how McDougle turns out. CB was a huge need, and Idzik plucked that one right out of his butt.

After that, I thought they were back on track. Got a few WRs to create serious competition at a position that needed a serious upgrade. Ditto with an additional CB. Dozier will compete for a starting job as soon as this year. A couple late pass rushing prospects to develop. Tajh Boyd is a QB in the same mold as Geno and Vick, enabling him to run the offense the same way.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what? Just curious, but in order to evaluate what is a reach and what isn't, you have to either assume the whole league is drafting based on mocks from ESPN writers... or that NY Mick has access to the rest of the league's boards.

Based on every prospect rating that I've read and so called experts. I don't know anymore them any of you guys but when every site says it's a huge reach then I assume it is.

If Bridgewater and Manziel start winning playoff games, the grade falls somewhere between F and Hiroshima

Manziel will be in a body cast come play-off time. His rubbing his fingers off his thumb to signify cash as he walked on stage insured it. 

Why is everyone confused by the Saunders pick? he's a punt returner. They haven't had a reliable guy back there since the hey day of Jim Leonard. 

Some complaing about Taj Boyd in the 6th... say what you want, that guy is draftable. He's not Dave Yovanovitz. This was not a favor to a friend of Rex's son. Boyd tends to play well on the big stage. He's got productive film against ACC and SEC teams.

I give this haul an A based on pure volume. They won't all be gems but it's alot of talent and could hit big with a couple.  The plan is competition if they get 5 or 6 starters out of this crop total it will be looked back on as an awesome draft.

Probably go pick by pick in a boring article that no one reads. But overall the theme is size/speed and pro upside. There's no one in this crop that is a mediocre athlete like David Yankey or Cyrus Kouandijo. 

NFL network guys both gave it an A

I predict cimini and mehta will say C "because johnny"

I voted B

a need draft where he drafted too many corners and WR's.  he will have to cut at least 2 probably

But, every year we carry corners and wideouts on our practice squad. It is obviously something they prefer to do.

Why is everyone confused by the Saunders pick? he's a punt returner. They haven't had a reliable guy back there since the hey day of Jim Leonard. 

Some complaing about Taj Boyd in the 6th... say what you want, that guy is draftable. He's not Dave Yovanovitz. This was not a favor to a friend of Rex's son. Boyd tends to play well on the big stage. He's got productive film against ACC and SEC teams.

I give this haul an A based on pure volume. They won't all be gems but it's alot of talent and could hit big with a couple.  The plan is competition if they get 5 or 6 starters out of this crop total it will be looked back on as an awesome draft.

Probably go pick by pick in a boring article that no one reads. But overall the theme is size/speed and pro upside. There's no one in this crop that is a mediocre athlete like David Yankey or Cyrus Kouandijo.

Was in total agreement until last line. Yankey is just a solid player, that will be in a solid starter in the league for 10 yrs. koundijo is one of those 5 star SEC recruits you always rave about.

Probably go pick by pick in a boring article that no one reads.

I read your boring articles.

1/18 Calvin Pryor: We had been looking at the safety position for a while before deciding to make a big investment here, so this is our guy. Since we're set on the defensive line the secondary is as good a place as any to stockpile talent. Secondary benefit to Pryor locking up one spot is the competition it creates across from him. We're returning all four guys we came into last season with, and they're all playing for a job. Winner plays center field, loser gets cut.

2/49 Jace Amaro: Posted about this one already. I think now we're in a position to make that big move for a prototype #1 receiver because we've got the rest of the building blocks in place. If Hill played to his athleticism and pedigree we basically have the standard setup with Decker as the possession guy, Kerley as the slot, and Amaro as the flex TE.

3/80: Dexter McDougle: This spot was a good one to take a cornerback. Having missed most of last season makes McDougle a tough evaluation, so we must have felt like we had a pretty good handle on his value. Anyway, he's being put into a pretty good spot. Reasonable expectation is he's in the rotation as the fourth corner this year and pushes for a bigger role next year when Wilson and Patterson are up, and those guys obviously aren't world-beaters so there's plenty of room to do more sooner. 6/195 Brandon Dixon: Grouping positions together. Dixon makes the roster and plays specials, competes for defensive snaps next year. Spends a year on the practice squad if one of the depth lifers wakes up and decides to be somebody.

4/104: Jalen Saunders: Makes the team as primary returner this year, maybe down the line gets some package-based work on offense. There's some combination concepts we can run inside with Amaro, especially against zone coverage underneath. 4/115 Shaq Evans: As far as the receivers generally, I think we keep seven if it's the rookies plus Decker/Kerley/Hill/Nelson, possibly stashing somebody on injured reserve. Obviously the plan generally is to just churn and burn and let the competition play out at receiver and at corner. Evans is probably looking at bottom of the committee-type work as soon as this year. 6/209 Quincy Enunwa: Making the roster is a win, probably looking at next year before he starts to see work. These guys both sort of fit the mold of #3 receivers who aren't slot guys, which makes enough sense for a team that's generally going to be starting Kerley and two tight ends. Obviously if Hill falters and either of the rookies passes up Nelson it's a jackpot.

4/137 Dakota Dozier: I was expecting multiple picks but Dozier at least presents some versatility. He's a really good run blocker so he's earned the automatic projection to guard, but the guy is a four-year starter at left tackle. Depends on how we see him but there's a lot of opportunity. Aboushi is our swing tackle, Winters is starting at guard, and the long-term picture at tackle is a blank.

5/154 Jeremiah George, 6/210 IK Enemkpali, 7/233 Trevor Reilly: Depth at linebacker has been a problem since the heyday of Thomas/Harris/Scott/Pace, at which point Tannenbaum declared mission accomplished and basically ignored the position for three years. The backup slots on the inside (George), at rush (Enemkpali), and on the strong side (Reilly) are wide open right now, and next year Harris is up, Pace and Barnes can be cut for a combined 425K, and hopefully the Quinton Coples experiment will have been chalked up as a huge embarrassing failure, so there are advancement opportunities.

6/213 Tajh Boyd: Obviously you want your backup quarterback to play a similar game to the starter, so Boyd makes enough sense as the #3 behind Geno and Vick this year and the backup going forward if he can handle the workload.

C.

Had a chance for  a QB and passed .

Had a good chance to trade up in the second and get a much better WR, and they did not. I guess they valued the 3 4th rounder's more. Dumb

Not sure about any of the WR's we picked. Saunders ? He might have been available in a later round

I'm not so upset about the picks but I feel this draft was handled very poorly.

C- that will turn into an F if Manziel turns into what I think he will turn into.

Pryor and Amaro are nice additions, but completely ignoring the QB position and bypassing many good prospects when you have Geno and Vick is just not understanding the NFL.

Don't like Manziel, fine, but there were plenty of decent prospects that they should have taken one much earlier.

The NFL is a QB league, until you have one proven, you need to do everything in your power to get one.

I am now down on Idzik as I thought he knew this but clearly does not.

C.

Had a chance for a QB and passed .

Had a good chance to trade up in the second and get a much better WR, and they did not. I guess they valued the 3 4th rounder's more. Dumb

Not sure about any of the WR's we picked. Saunders ? He might have been available in a later round

I'm not so upset about the picks but I feel this draft was handled very poorly.

Agree completely

I always laugh at word 'reach'. Reach by whose standards? The teams professionally trained scouts dont release draft books.. Its based on media pundits and draft guru guys books etc.. And especially when you get into the later rounds I trust scouts more than pundits. For all we know many of these 'reaches' were only reaches on pundits lists , but not other teams REAL scouts lists.

C- that will turn into an F if Manziel turns into what I think he will turn into.

Pryor and Amaro are nice additions, but completely ignoring the QB position and bypassing many good prospects when you have Geno and Vick is just not understanding the NFL.

Don't like Manziel, fine, but there were plenty of decent prospects that they should have taken one much earlier.

The NFL is a QB league, until you have one proven, you need to do everything in your power to get one.

I am now down on Idzik as I thought he knew this but clearly does not.

If they didn't like the top four guys, who were they supposed to take, and when? Garoppolo in the second? Which of the next tier of guys is going to be a quality starter in the NFL?

The good news is Johnny Brown went to the city where QBs go to die, so it's not entirely likely that he'll make the Jets (and everyone else who passed on him) look too bad. Especially if Gordon sits the year.

If they didn't like the top four guys, who were they supposed to take, and when? Garoppolo in the second? Which of the next tier of guys is going to be a quality starter in the NFL?

The good news is Johnny Brown went to the city where QBs go to die, so it's not entirely likely that he'll make the Jets (and everyone else who passed on him) look too bad. Especially if Gordon sits the year.

The one you liked best of Mattenberg, Savage,Mcaruns, Murray, that group.

This draft is a c, nothing more nothing else.

With so many picks in such a deep draft they came out of it with a ton of quantity and Meh quality.

Idzik could have worked those 3 4th round draft choices into a couple of 2's and he could have gotten Lee or Robinson or Bryant and Amaro Not Amaro and Saunders. This team has much more of a need at WR than it does KR ST guy and I don't expect a 5-9 165 pound guy to be very durable they almost never are even so where do you bring this guy in on offense ? that's right you don't because Kerley is our Slot guy.

Idzik could have worked those 3 4th round draft choices into a couple of 2's and he could have gotten Lee or Robinson or Bryant and Amaro Not Amaro and Saunders. This team has much more of a need at WR than it does KR ST guy and I don't expect a 5-9 165 pound guy to be very durable they almost never are even so where do you bring this guy in on offense ? that's right you don't because Kerley is our Slot guy.

Please explain the magic formula of turning 3  4th rounders worth a maximum of 216 points into 2 2nd round picks worth a minimum of 540 points (32nd pick point value).  You are looking at 1000 points or more for two picks towards the top of the round.  New math?  They tried to move up for Lee and could not pull it off in a way that made sense.

I did this last night and didn't post it because because...

Calvin Pryor FS: Plug and play at a position of need, and was the safety I would take if taking a safety in this year's first round. Should be a DROY candidate due to playing style and opportunity within the defense (he, Milliner, and DeMario Davis are going to do all the cleaning up behind the DL). One of the safer picks in the draft and a great fit. 

Solid B+

Jace Amaro TE: One of the best picks in the draft for anyone. Best frame of the TEs in the draft, tested well at the combine, put up big numbers in college, and is even an underrated blocker. He’s going to be a big part of why Geno will succeed.

A, best pick on offense the Jets have made since 2006…well...2013 because Geno.

Dexter McDougle CB: Maryland has quietly put some good players in the league, so I’m not going nuts over this pick. Still, meh.

C- 

Jalen Saunders WR/PR – Very interested that he and Ellington went within a couple picks of on another. Ellington is the more popular prospect and put up slightly better measurables, but Saunders is more physical and didn’t have any injury issues in college that I know of. I’m interested to see what they become. If Saunders can save Kerley from returning punts then this pick is worth it,

C+

Shaq Evans – His upside is possibly more versatile Cotchery, and I even thought he was a decent sleeper WR. OTOH would have rather had Bryant and find this pick boring.

C- because there is competence to his game.

Jeremiah George ILB – STs depth and will compete for backup ILB snaps. Another really boring pick, niche-y depth. Rex Ryan said they felt lucky to make it through last year with only 3 ILBs.

D because I expect him to do alright on STs. 

Dakota Dozier – Third best and second favorite Jets pick. Has a shot to start at G this year and/or could be a Mangold replacement. Really interesting prospect, very good upside for a late 4th.

B

Next three are ST and depth fodder that collectively are a D

Tahj Boyd – Experienced, can throw a spiral, and can move a little. They could have done a lot worse. I liked Jeff Matthews despite the fit, he’s a completely different type of QB that is on the roster. Boyd fits, and I could see him being successful backup. 
B

Trevor Reilly – Good back story and easy player to root for. Some outside shot he has Jarrett Johnson upside, but probably not. A quality 7th round gamble THO.

C

Overall: C. Despite that draft weekend grade guys like Pryor, Amaro, Dozier, and Boyd (as a backup) have real long term potential here. Saunders could make noise as a STs player early. Everyone else is a long shot with McDougle leading them in upside probably. Reilly will have alot of fans during TC because of a compelling backstory.

Way too  much effort went into this (yet not enough at the same time) because it randomly erased when I was doing the Nixon pick. I re-wrote it, wasn't as happy with this version but whatevs.

...the long-term picture at tackle is a blank.

This was my #1 overall problem with this draft. Ignoring that aspect in the mid rounds means the likelihood of having to burn a high pick on a tackle in the near future just increased exponentially. There was a big opportunity to shore up all the long-term problems that we're facing on the OL within the next 2-3 seasons and we didn't. The fact that Aboushi is going to be guaranteed a roster spot says enough in itself.

C I liked the first couple rounds and some of the later picks but he lost me with the back to back selection of McDougle and Saunders. The Tajh Boyd pick I don't even want to talk about but it was horrible on multiple levels.

Maybe. I think with the point that we took him at, you're just looking for guys who can compete to make the roster. If Boyd can beat out Simms so be it.

Then again the Rex thing with that pick is kind of really ridiculously stupid.

Archived