What is a fair grade for the Jets 2014 draft class

NYJetsVets91

What would you grade the Jets 2014 Draft Overall  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What is a fair grade for the Jets 2014 draft class?

Please explain the magic formula of turning 3  4th rounders worth a maximum of 216 points into 2 2nd round picks worth a minimum of 540 points (32nd pick point value).  You are looking at 1000 points or more for two picks towards the top of the round.  New math?  They tried to move up for Lee and could not pull it off in a way that made sense.

3 4th rounders Plus the second rounder  The second rounder and a 5th probably moves you up to the beginning of the round forget which team did it but they used their second and a fifth . That still leaves you 3 4th rounders and a 3rd rounder its not that difficult

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A, B, C, D, or F?

I definitely give Idzik an A for the first two picks. It's somewhat rare for a team not in the top 10 get get 1 rd player who both filled a need and is the BPA. Pryor actually reminds me of a you ng Rod Woodson, although he's not a cb. Pryor can tack like a linebacker and cover like a cb. Very rare

3 4th rounders Plus the second rounder  The second rounder and a 5th probably moves you up to the beginning of the round forget which team did it but they used their second and a fifth . That still leaves you 3 4th rounders and a 3rd rounder its not that difficult

Going by the draft trade chart, the Jets 2nd and 5th would've gotten them only as far as the Lions #45 overall. Lee went at pick #39, which means the Jets would've had to get to #38. Again, using the chart, that would've cost the team their 2nd, original 4th, and 5th. They allegedly did try to move, but probably weren't that interested in giving up three picks for one player.

Is Lee worth Amaro, Evans, and George? I don't know. It's not clear cut either way, IMHO, but the Jets didn't feel like they could get a worthwhile deal.

I read your boring articles.

dude you could write my boring articles! i just turned it in to max and we make many of the same points. 

the way to evaluate any draft class is how many starters can you get out of it... with this draft, the 7 guys taken in the first 5 rounds all have legit chance to start by year 2. they all won't make it but if even half can... it would be an all time great draft

This was my #1 overall problem with this draft. Ignoring that aspect in the mid rounds means the likelihood of having to burn a high pick on a tackle in the near future just increased exponentially. There was a big opportunity to shore up all the long-term problems that we're facing on the OL within the next 2-3 seasons and we didn't. The fact that Aboushi is going to be guaranteed a roster spot says enough in itself.

If others like Ijilana and Campbell have a lights out camp there's a scenario where Aboushi gets cut. 

Dozier was a college tackle maybe he's not good enough to replace Brick but even at 6'3" maybe he proves himself as a swing backup as lonelyhearts suggested

Personally think his future is at RG. 

My problem with this draft that all along we were being sold on BPA draft and it appears more like a need based draft with prospects who most likely could have been picked in the later rounds. The value for the picks is low.

Usually when value for the pick is low it does not end up being a good draft.

If others like Ijilana and Campbell have a lights out camp there's a scenario where Aboushi gets cut. 

Dozier was a college tackle maybe he's not good enough to replace Brick but even at 6'3" maybe he proves himself as a swing backup as lonelyhearts suggested

Personally think his future is at RG. 

Dozier's fine. Good pick at that spot. My concern is that when it comes to weakside (and lately even strongside) guys, the odds say you need a highly graded guy or you have to coach a mid-low guy up over the course of a couple seasons. We don't have anyone that we're doing for either side in that regard, which means we're going high either next year or 2016, and that could have been avoided this year. We'll have to unless we're just going to buy a line. Regarding this draft, my concern is that it looks like the 3rd was where we should have made that move instead of McDougle. After looking at the way that rounds 3-5 played out, the mid 3rd was not the spot to go boom or bust for a CB.

For the record, I'm not entirely unhappy with this draft. I just think it was misplayed. The Evans and Saunders slots are good examples of what I'm trying to get at. I know it's easy to sit back and critique things in hindsight, but with the CBs that were available at those slots we could just as easily have landed a CB of equal value and a really great OL prospect and Saunders/equal WR. Truth be told when the day began I was secretly hoping we'd trade up for Moses.

As far as this year goes, we're one injury at either tackle position away from disaster. Adrien Clarke levels of disaster. And with how skittish Geno looked his rookie year, I don't agree with not making that a top priority.

Dozier's fine. Good pick at that spot. My concern is that when it comes to weakside (and lately even strongside) guys, the odds say you need a highly graded guy or you have to coach a mid-low guy up over the course of a couple seasons. We don't have anyone that we're doing for either side in that regard, which means we're going high either next year or 2016, and that could have been avoided this year. We'll have to unless we're just going to buy a line. Regarding this draft, my concern is that it looks like the 3rd was where we should have made that move instead of McDougle. After looking at the way that rounds 3-5 played out, the mid 3rd was not the spot to go boom or bust for a CB.

For the record, I'm not entirely unhappy with this draft. I just think it was misplayed. The Evans and Saunders slots are good examples of what I'm trying to get at. I know it's easy to sit back and critique things in hindsight, but with the CBs that were available at those slots we could just as easily have landed a CB of equal value and a really great OL prospect and Saunders/equal WR. Truth be told when the day began I was secretly hoping we'd trade up for Moses.

As far as this year goes, we're one injury at either tackle position away from disaster. Adrien Clarke levels of disaster. And with how skittish Geno looked his rookie year, I don't agree with not making that a top priority.

Provided Pryor and Amaro do what they're supposed to do, this draft will largely be judged on the McDougle/Saunders picks. They were both very questionable choices based on the general internet consensus. If those guys hit, all is good. If not, hindsight will be ugly.

That said, I expected multiple OL picks this year. In a draft that really seemed much more need based than BAP based, I'm hoping that's a sign that Campbell and Aboushi are progressing better than expected. Also, mini-draft. The Jets have a sh*t-ton of cap space they can spend on other team's cast-offs.

Provided Pryor and Amaro do what they're supposed to do, this draft will largely be judged on the McDougle/Saunders picks. They were both very questionable choices based on the general internet consensus. If those guys hit, all is good. If not, hindsight will be ugly.

That said, I expected multiple OL picks this year. In a draft that really seemed much more need based than BAP based, I'm hoping that's a sign that Campbell and Aboushi are progressing better than expected. Also, mini-draft. The Jets have a sh*t-ton of cap space they can spend on other team's cast-offs.

And because those cast offs will primarily be victims of salary/cap issues, there will be surely be some serviceable to quality guys to choose from.  I am particularly anxious to see what Will Campbell looks like in training camp.  Maybe they already have an inkling that he can contribute.

I feel mostly the same way. I think it's a solid draft, but I definitely think we could've done better. We basically spent rounds 4-5 getting role players or guys with limited upside that might produce right away (except for Dozier) and round 6 getting the raw athletic projects. To me, that's backwards in how you should be handling a draft, especially since we had multiple 4th rounders to play with.

On a macroscopic level, the Jets have still yet to spend a high draft pick on a wide receiver. I'm pretty convinced at this point it has to do with the limitations of people who are involved with our scouting (cough Bradway) when it comes to scouting offensive talent. Yeah, a lot of it is Rex, but even before that we consistently **** up selections at QB, TE, and just ignore the WR position high up in the draft (last first rounder is still Santana Moss). It's not about looking at this year, it's been going on for a long time now and I'm pretty tired of it. Over the same period, except for Sanchez, we've drafted nothing but DBs and Dlineman in the first round since 2007. 

It's part of the reason I can't even be mad about choosing Pryor over Cooks, we've also inexplicably chosen to ignore drafting a legit safety for years now as well. I don't really hate any of the players we took this draft, I just am confused by choosing them over other prospects that were available at the time in the 3rd and 4th round.

I feel mostly the same way. I think it's a solid draft, but I definitely think we could've done better. We basically spent rounds 4-5 getting role players or guys with limited upside that might produce right away (except for Dozier) and round 6 getting the raw athletic projects. To me, that's backwards in how you should be handling a draft, especially since we had multiple 4th rounders to play with.

This. The reason rounds 2-4 (and depending on the year round 5, which this draft fell into) are so key is because those are the rounds where you can find immediate contributors on the cheap. That's why it was such an awesome thing that Idzik horded 4th rounders this year; but aside from Amaro and maybe Saunders on PR we're looking at a dubious crop on that tip. We needed players, not projects.

My problem with this draft that all along we were being sold on BPA draft and it appears more like a need based draft with prospects who most likely could have been picked in the later rounds. The value for the picks is low.

Usually when value for the pick is low it does not end up being a good draft.

This is what I find funny. It's low value according to who? Kiper and the rest of the media blowhards? The 1000 mocks done by fans that had him lower?

How do you know where the other teams had the pick projected? Lets say half of the teams had McDougle projected as a third rounder, is it still low value then?

Lets say the guy you wanted was selected instead, and he winds up busting. That has to be regarded as low value since he busted as a third rounder but right now you would be saying it's good value.

Most of the media had Gholston as a top ten pick, and the Jets were perceived to have gotten adequate value at the time, But of course that wound up being one of the worst picks of all time.

The fact is we don't know if this was a low value pick or not without knowing where all the other teams had him projected, and how he ultimately performs.

Solid B.  l Would have given it an A if they found a way to trade up in the 2nd to get Lee

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm really starting to think Amaro is going to be a star. I have to laugh at Cimini and others complaining that the Jets didn't find a way to trade up. Who knows what the Bucs were asking. Then if the Jets did get fleeced, we'd never hear the end of how bad of a trade the Jets made by the media.

Unless of course this was done by the Pats* then it would be a genious move either way.

This. The reason rounds 2-4 (and depending on the year round 5, which this draft fell into) are so key is because those are the rounds where you can find immediate contributors on the cheap. That's why it was such an awesome thing that Idzik horded 4th rounders this year; but aside from Amaro and maybe Saunders on PR we're looking at a dubious crop on that tip. We needed players, not projects.

If McDougle and Dozier are starting by next season, he did good. I think that's a reasonable expectation. If one of the WRs cracks the rotation this year, that would also be huge, and not out of the realm of possibility.

Archived