Meathead tread. All things lifting. *warning broscience*

Arsis

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no good place for this, but this is one of my favorite gifs ever.  In the background, a manly fight.  In the foreground, "Awww.  Slightly gay, but.....friends."

post-28217-watch-hockey-fights-with-a-fr

Background = Most of JetNation

Foreground = dbatesman and T0mShane saying "Look what we've created."

Btw out of curiosity what are your PRs?

I'm just getting back inti things from a herniated disc so they're all sh*t now. I put up 275 on bench and pulled 405. I front squatted 215. I can't really back squat. It's why I'm focusing more on bodybuilding sh*t. I pretty much have to at this point.

I'm just getting back inti things from a herniated disc so they're all sh*t now. I put up 275 on bench and pulled 405. I front squatted 215. I can't really back squat. It's why I'm focusing more on bodybuilding sh*t. I pretty much have to at this point.

Been there. 405 with disc problems is still pretty damn good.

Been there. 405 with disc problems is still pretty damn good.

Meh, it's okay and I've always been strong on the deadlift. I've been back at it for only 6 months after a two year layoff.

What are your 1rms?

Meh, it's okay and I've always been strong on the deadlift. I've been back at it for only 6 months after a two year layoff.

What are your 1rms?

505 squat, 370 bench, 590 deadlift for PRs. That was for the one local competition I did for fun a while back. Great feeling pulling that much weight.

I'm not sure what I'm at right now. Under my current regimen I don't go higher than anything I can't get up at least 6-8 times on the major compound movements, and everything else has to be 12-15 reps. So for squats and deadlifts I only work up to 315. I haven't really been flat benching simply because I've found my body responds a lot better to incline and it's much easier on the rotators cuffs.

Bodyfat I keep down with basketball and cardio a few times a week. I'd love to start boxing again but unfortunately I've been suffering from migraines due to stress issues and USA Boxing disallows you when that's the case.

505 squat, 370 bench, 590 deadlift for PRs. That was for the one local competition I did for fun a while back. Great feeling pulling that much weight.

I'm not sure what I'm at right now. Under my current regimen I don't go higher than anything I can't get up at least 6-8 times on the major compound movements, and everything else has to be 12-15 reps. So for squats and deadlifts I only work up to 315. I haven't really been flat benching simply because I've found my body responds a lot better to incline and it's much easier on the rotators cuffs.

Bodyfat I keep down with basketball and cardio a few times a week. I'd love to start boxing again but unfortunately I've been suffering from migraines due to stress issues and USA Boxing disallows you when that's the case.

Impressive numbers. Any reason for the switch in focus? What gym did you train at? I've always wanted to give boxing a try.

Impressive numbers. Any reason for the switch in focus? What gym did you train at? I've always wanted to give boxing a try.

Knights of Columbus in South River, NJ, and later on Baltimore Boxing Club in Baltimore. I always cycled back and forth between lifting and boxing since high school because of football. 15 years later it's still a habit. Too much of one type of training eventually becomes monotonous to me.

I am a powerlifter/strongman but decided to try a cut for sh*ts and giggles and made 13% bodyfat. I was thinking of carb cycling to get down to single digits. Except I have no idea what I am doing. I am used to just eating and gaining mass. Anyone have any success with carb cycling?

I have lots n lots of experience with carb cycling....look into following a ketogenic diet.  Tons of info online about it.  Follow this type of diet 5 days a week (6 is better) and then carb up on the off day(s). Start your off days with bagels and end it with pasta. Very east diet to follow and similar to atkins.

on a ketogenic diet, your body will lose nothing but fat and spare all muscle.  No hard gains in the gym will be lost like many other diets.  

Do this diet for 3-6 months and you'll be at 7-9%

I have lots n lots of experience with carb cycling....look into following a ketogenic diet. Tons of info online about it. Follow this type of diet 5 days a week (6 is better) and then carb up on the off day(s). Start your off days with bagels and end it with pasta. Very east diet to follow and similar to atkins.

on a ketogenic diet, your body will lose nothing but fat and spare all muscle. No hard gains in the gym will be lost like many other diets.

Do this diet for 3-6 months and you'll be at 7-9%

Thank you very much for the input. I'm not sure if I could go that long. I'll be happy with 11%. Today was the first day. It's not so bad. I had a hard time getting enough calories without carbs though I guess I have to eat more often.

I'm doing my best, captain.  You guys give me the tough love I need.  Between calling me a fag, categorically blasting my musical tastes, my lack of female attention, and inability to lift heavy sh**, I'm improving by the day.

Even got a girlfriend now, believe it or not.

2 birds, 1 stone.

Thank you very much for the input. I'm not sure if I could go that long. I'll be happy with 11%. Today was the first day. It's not so bad. I had a hard time getting enough calories without carbs though I guess I have to eat more often.

Finding enough calories is the most difficult part for me too. Check out this link. http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html#33MM  .....its a good reference and guide

The most effective way I found doing this program was by eating twice a day only.  12pm and at 8-9pm.  Basically 8-10 hours apart.  But when you eat, you gotta eat to the max and only spare carbs.  Example: at noon i'll eat a 5-6 egg omelet with cheese and sausage plus a side of bacon.  Around 8pm I will eat a salad loaded with bacon, chunks of cheese, chicken, and loads of ranch dressing......you will be amazed how you can consume that much fat and protein and how lean you will feel and look each day.....and cutting carbs suppresses your appetite so you wont find yourself hungry between these meals typically.

When I'm in the mood to eat in between meals ill cut chunks of cheese and pepperoni to eat.

I did 10x315 squats after not being in a gym for like 3 years. Pfft

Or me.. I have trouble cutting. Massive pain in the ass

Finding enough calories during a cut is the context here. I am carb-cycling so it's hard to hit enough calories and protein while avoiding carbs.

Finding enough calories during a cut is the context here. I am carb-cycling so it's hard to hit enough calories and protein while avoiding carbs.

My problem to be honest, is the hunger that comes from a few days of lower carb living. It's brutal...I get hangry. Do you know what I'm talking about with this? I need to come up with a real plan. I dropped like 35 pounds in 8 weeks once, but it was a completely unsustainable situation. I was in the gym on eliptical 6 mornings a week, carb counting with 6 meals a day...its not a way to live. Oh and I was E/C/A stacking, with a gallon of water under my desk. so  yeah. 

My problem to be honest, is the hunger that comes from a few days of lower carb living. It's brutal...I get hangry. Do you know what I'm talking about with this? I need to come up with a real plan. I dropped like 35 pounds in 8 weeks once, but it was a completely unsustainable situation. I was in the gym on eliptical 6 mornings a week, carb counting with 6 meals a day...its not a way to live. Oh and I was E/C/A stacking, with a gallon of water under my desk. so yeah.

I ate a whole extra large pepperoni pizza two weeks ago and was hungry afterwards. I know where you are coming from. Lmao.

TThe whole pissing 15 times a day isn't fun either.

My problem to be honest, is the hunger that comes from a few days of lower carb living. It's brutal...I get hangry. Do you know what I'm talking about with this? I need to come up with a real plan. I dropped like 35 pounds in 8 weeks once, but it was a completely unsustainable situation. I was in the gym on eliptical 6 mornings a week, carb counting with 6 meals a day...its not a way to live. Oh and I was E/C/A stacking, with a gallon of water under my desk. so  yeah. 

check out ketosis, or being in ketosis.....suppresses hunger big time.  Small frequent meals is what keeps you hungry.

the first 3 days is a bit tuff, after 3 days in ketosis you have just as much energy if you were eating carbs still.  Plus no hunger pains all day or the inconvenience of trying to find a way to eat 6 small meals a day....ef that.....let meat n cheese be your new best friend and watch the fat shred off of u

the first 3 days is a bit tuff, after 3 days in ketosis you have just as much energy if you were eating carbs still.  Plus no hunger pains all day or the inconvenience of trying to find a way to eat 6 small meals a day....ef that.....let meat n cheese be your new best friend and watch the fat shred off of u

haha sounds great...two of my favorite food groups.

I'll read into this and give it a real shot...i loved that guys suggestion about butter and coconut oil in your morning coffee, dunno if u saw that.

the first 3 days is a bit tuff, after 3 days in ketosis you have just as much energy if you were eating carbs still. Plus no hunger pains all day or the inconvenience of trying to find a way to eat 6 small meals a day....ef that.....let meat n cheese be your new best friend and watch the fat shred off of u

Do you have any meal plans? I keep looking online and see a lot geared towards chicks. I probably will also download a calorie counting app and just play around with it

haha sounds great...two of my favorite food groups.

I'll read into this and give it a real shot...i loved that guys suggestion about butter and coconut oil in your morning coffee, dunno if u saw that.

yeah lol, "fat coffee" is what i think they're called....never had one......seems like it may be difficult for me to stomach in the morn

Do you have any meal plans? I keep looking online and see a lot geared towards chicks. I probably will also download a calorie counting app and just play around with it

Well, I wouldnt really call them meal plans but I can pm you what I would typically eat on a 5-6 day ketogenic diet.  My life style doesnt really support preparing food anymore so I have searched the supermarkets high and low for somewhat prepared foods that fit into this type of meal plan.  

Did you see this link that i posted above? http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html#33MM  Very good guide to what foods you can and cannot eat while being in ketosis.....when your in ketosis dude, you are just a fat burning machine.......if your doing weights and cardio too, then you can tolerate a small amount of carbs still.  Say....25-40 carbs a day.  And for your 1 or 2 off days anything goes...eat as much as you want of what you want so that you are pumped and ready for another 5-6 day stretch of ketosis.  

Well, I wouldnt really call them meal plans but I can pm you what I would typically eat on a 5-6 day ketogenic diet.  My life style doesnt really support preparing food anymore so I have searched the supermarkets high and low for somewhat prepared foods that fit into this type of meal plan.  

Did you see this link that i posted above? http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html#33MM  Very good guide to what foods you can and cannot eat while being in ketosis.....when your in ketosis dude, you are just a fat burning machine.......if your doing weights and cardio too, then you can tolerate a small amount of carbs still.  Say....25-40 carbs a day.  And for your 1 or 2 off days anything goes...eat as much as you want of what you want so that you are pumped and ready for another 5-6 day stretch of ketosis.  

I didn't see the blog the first time u posted..but just read it...what a great resource...i threw almond milk in my morning coffee,,, had a weird feeling it was ok ....  did u see this link?  http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

Ok so here's my lifestyle, i wake up, drive to work, sit for 9 hours, drive home, exhausted...maybe walk dog...5 days a week.

Today I started ketosis...i didn't carb load because my life has been a carb load, so here's my plan for today:

• RIght out of bed, coffee with almond milk, and I scooped a tablespoon of pure butter and ate it straight. Washed that down with water. When I go for something, I go all the way. Fiber shake before I left. Can't let plumbing get backed up on this.
  • Breakfast: 4 fried eggs, 3 strips bacon, 2 slices muenster 
  • Lunch: 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 1 cup romaine lettuce
  • Dinner: 4 oz ground beef (87%), 4 slices cheddar cheese

Net: 2038 Calories, 71% Fat, 27% Protein, 3% carbs

Feel good, maybe a slight headache after breakfast. Let you know how I feel in a couple hours lol.

Archived