This draft be a success if...

Jetlag

How this draft is perceived depends on 3 guys.

Pryor who will start immediately and could have an massive impact.

Amaro who should start from Game 1. If he ends up with 750 yrds and 6 TDs will make this draft an excellent one in many peoples minds.

Dozier who could start by mid season.

Other than that what he have are bunch of projects or players that add to the depth. Even if one of them pans out to be regular starter it would be added super bonus.

12 picks and probably 7 or 8 WR's who could start immediately for the NYJ and they didn't take a single one.     I want to be positive but that is something I just don't get.   

I cannot blame the JETS for not drafting a WR in the first 2 rounds. And to be fair by the end of the 2nd round there were 12 WRs picked and 7 of these picks were via trades.No one could have seen such a huge run and reaches for WR.  No one expected Jarvis Landry to be a 2nd round pick or a Kelvin Banjamin to be a 1st round pick. Those are just reaches.

I believe JETS went with BPA the first two rounds and that is ok. They got a remier safety prospect and a TE who was ranked #2 in many draft boards.

But its their choice of picks from 3rd round onwards and their choice of WRs in the 4th round that was head scratching.

They could have easily got a slot receiver in the 5th or 6th rounds and utilized the 4th round pick for a different WR. They picked Evans and Enunwa both of whom are similar WRs. They did not pick Montcrief or Martavis Bryant. They could have easily got a Sanders/Herron type of WR in the 6th round.

I cannot blame the JETS for not drafting a WR in the first 2 rounds. And to be fair by the end of the 2nd round there were 12 WRs picked and 7 of these picks were via trades.No one could have seen such a huge run and reaches for WR. No one expected Jarvis Landry to be a 2nd round pick or a Kelvin Banjamin to be a 1st round pick. Those are just reaches.

I believe JETS went with BPA the first two rounds and that is ok. They got a remier safety prospect and a TE who was ranked #2 in many draft boards.

But its their choice of picks from 3rd round onwards and their choice of WRs in the 4th round that was head scratching.

They could have easily got a slot receiver in the 5th or 6th rounds and utilized the 4th round pick for a different WR. They picked Evans and Enunwa both of whom are similar WRs. They did not pick Montcrief or Martavis Bryant. They could have easily got a Sanders/Herron type of WR in the 6th round.

I don't think they were looking for certain types of WRs. I think they were targeting their WRs. And I think the strategy of drafting multiple players for the same position is the belief that the likelihood of one of them panning out doubles or triples. It was more of a statistical approach IMO and I'm OK with that. We all know first two/three picks have real chance of becoming starters. If we can nab another with the rest of the picks, that's 3-4 starters in one draft. How often do u see that? And I'm talking ONE starter out of our 9 third day draft picks.

I don't think they were looking for certain types of WRs. I think they were targeting their WRs. And I think the strategy of drafting multiple players for the same position is the belief that the likelihood of one of them panning out doubles or triples. It was more of a statistical approach IMO and I'm OK with that. We all know first two/three picks have real chance of becoming starters. If we can nab another with the rest of the picks, that's 3-4 starters in one draft. How often do u see that? And I'm talking ONE starter out of our 9 third day draft picks.

But why not go after the WRs with more upside.

So are you saying that is Enunwa outperforms Shaq Evans than Evans could be out of the door.

Yeah, because "raw" guys have been great to this organization. Players such as Du****ingCasse n Hill have been great contributors...to bench warming.

You just named two second round picks who were raw and overdrafted. I agree, you don't take those players with a 2nd or even 3rd really because you want productive players or plug and play guys. But you take chances with those guys in the mid rounds.

The later round "raw but with potential" draft picks remind me of HS picks in the MLB draft.  You see what might be someday if all the stars align, but really have no idea whether it will pan out and what the true ceiling is.  Clearly not ready for the bigs, unless they surprise in a hugely unexpected way.  In a couple of years, one or two guys from the Jets late round draft might turn out to have been diamonds in the rough.  

great way to sum it all up... any number over 4 out of 12 would be an all time great draft. It's super hard to  predict which of the 4 will be those guys but if i had to predict 4 starters something like 

rd 1) Pryor

rd 2) Amero

rd 4) Dozier

rd 5) George 

I root for Shaq Evans to be Anquan Boldin and McDougle to be awesome but they probably swung and missed on the WR and CB. If we are being totally objective about it.  

having written one of these in the last few days Lag I gotta say dam dude you can write em with anyone and should do it more 

Thanks Matt, I've relegated my Jets forum time to lurking-only for the past year or 2.  For some reason this was burning me to post.  I should have explained in my intro that by "Success" I meant optimal result and  "Failure" meant unmitigated disaster.  For instance, overall if this class yields 2 starters and 2-3 key depth/ST players I wouldn't call that a failure.  It just wouldn't meet my expectation of success for a draft in which we had 12 opportunities to bring in talent with a talent-rich draft class. 

I like your starter predictions and that's whom I had in mind, mix in one of the WR's.  It would be a shame if we totally whiffed on WR in this draft.  That would certainly be a black eye for Idzik especially if one of the other WR's he had an opportunity to draft blows up the league. 

Like all NFL fans, I just really want this QB situation to be solved already.  Can we for once be the franchise with a rock in that position?  I don't see the answer to that question on this roster today, unfortunately.

I don't feel like this was an insurance pick. This whole draft felt like a need-based draft rather than a BAP draft. Maybe their first two picks were BAP, but the rest of their picks seemed to specifically target needs. When they got to the fourth round, and still hadn't drafted any WRs, they made sure they took two.

But I really doubt they came into the draft planning to take three WRs. I think when they got to their comp picks in the sixth round and saw Enunwa was still there, they thought the value was just too much to pass up. The way they were picking, it's not of of the realm of possibility that they considered him as high as the fourth round. I won't be surprised if this guy surprises.

Enunwa was insurance for the Saunders and Evans picks.  He is hoping even just one of them pans out.  Clearly WR was need-based, I wouldn't dispute that.  Idzik took a shotgun approach to the position because he went quality else where (and I agree with it).  That said if all 3 WR's produce nothing in the NFL it will certainly not be forgotten by both critics and fans alike.  For his sake (and potentially his job down the line) and ours, let's hope that we get some production from those guys.

Archived