Jalen Saunders: The Tape

Villain The Foe

Little dude is a beast. 165LBs yet is a fearless blocker for both the run and pass and will continue until the whistle. He finds a way to contribute to the play even if the play isn't designed for him. Also, he forces penalties on the defense with his quickness and shiftiness. Damn good punt returner.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what I like about him is he is fearless AND he knows how to catch a football WITH HIS HANDS. This kid looks like he's going to force that stiff that we drafted in the 2nd round to a nice managerial position at the local Burger King...Stephen Hill that's the guy-he is done as a Jet...and as Green Day once said: GODD RIDDANCE

I think he's got a chance. He's a backup slot and legit returner.

Pros: Good hand catching and good in space. He is a willing blocker despite his size, albeit against Alabama it looks like his size is going to hurt him there.

Cons: Looks like he's going to have trouble with high balls because of his height and I don't like that if his initial route is covered he just kind of gives up on the play and doesn't try to help his QB out that much. He had a couple bad fumbles as well and I don't know how durable he's going to be.

I think I would've preferred a higher upside guy, but I don't hate him as a player. He's pretty talented but with a big flaw and looks like he was probably worth being a 4th-5th rounder guy.

He's kerley insurance. He's a punt returner and a shift receiver. I kind of think this pick means we aren't resigning kerley next year. Evans wasa replacement for hill, saunders a replacement for kerley

Not necessarily. It for sure means that Kerley won't hold us hostage. But kerley can produce on the field. Hill for sure is in trouble because all these WR's can't make the squad. I'll be rooting for Hill though. If competition will allow Hill to put it together than his 6'4 frame and sub 4.4 speed will be much needed. He needs to earn it though. 

He's kerley insurance. He's a punt returner and a shift receiver. I kind of think this pick means we aren't resigning kerley next year. Evans wasa replacement for hill, saunders a replacement for kerley

I kind of disagree and think he may be better then Kerley. Not in 2014 but beyond that yes.

Pros: Good hand catching and good in space. He is a willing blocker despite his size, albeit against Alabama it looks like his size is going to hurt him there.

Cons: Looks like he's going to have trouble with high balls because of his height and I don't like that if his initial route is covered he just kind of gives up on the play and doesn't try to help his QB out that much. He had a couple bad fumbles as well and I don't know how durable he's going to be.

I think I would've preferred a higher upside guy, but I don't hate him as a player. He's pretty talented but with a big flaw and looks like he was probably worth being a 4th-5th rounder guy.

On the other hand, it gives him a better shot at catching Geno's bounce passes. 

I kind of disagree and think he may be better then Kerley. Not in 2014 but beyond that yes.

I agree. He's faster than Kerley. And at the same point in their career Jalen has been light years more productive than Jeremy Kerley. Kerley never had a 100 yard game in college, Jalen has 10 with 5 of those going for 150+ yards. Kerley has only scored multiple TD's in his collegiate career twice both in his senior season, Jalen did it 6 times though out his years. Saunders least productive years rivals Kerley's most productive year (yards wise). Kerley caught 12 TD's in his college career, Saunders caught 12 TD's in his sophomore year alone. 

This is purely a comparison of collegiate stats. I think we scored huge on Kerley so Im not trying to come off like he needs to be replaced. What I'm saying is that Saunders has the looks to be a guy who could legitimately fight for that #2 spot and most definitely can produce in the slot. Also, if the Jets find a serviceable #2 WR (David Nelson or Shaq Evans???) and Saunders is held to slot service then having Decker and Nelson (or Shaq) on the outside with Kerley and Saunders on the inside during 4 WR sets sounds much more respectable than what we were putting on the field last year. Heck, imagine that with Jace Amaro in-line? its not the best line-up in the league but I do believe that Saunders is making this team and Shaq & Quincy could show more than the depth WR's we currently have. 

Not necessarily. It for sure means that Kerley won't hold us hostage. But kerley can produce on the field. Hill for sure is in trouble because all these WR's can't make the squad. I'll be rooting for Hill though. If competition will allow Hill to put it together than his 6'4 farm and sub 4.4 speed will be much needed. He needs to earn it though.

I see it playing out next year like Austin Howard's situation. Idzik will give kerley a number and will not budge. If kerley likes it he'lm resign, if he gets a better offer he's gone

I noticed the 2 high balls that went off his hands as well. Not the biggest of catching radius. His hands aren't big.

I see what you mean with the higher ceiling type player, however I feel that when you are already super thin at the position and already have a 6'4 developmental player in Hill then you get guys who have a higher floor because after all, you need production now. Once production is somewhat respectable then I feel that we can take a chance on another developmental guy. We'd be pissed if we drafted a guy like Martavis Bryant which has much more upside potential, but if he doesn't put it together then we're stuck with Decker and Kerley being our only productive WR's for the entire year while having Hill and Bryant who look like beast sitting on the sideline on I.R. towards the end of the season on our way to another 8-8 type record. 

Seems like Idzik felt that we needed to get those "what you see is what you get" type players so we at least know that we're adding something immediately for the short term.

Funny how many people were crushed when we did not take a 5' 9" 174lb wr in the 1st rd last year but are mad because we took 5'9 170lb wr with the same 40 time....

Austin is a little shorter, and listed as ten pounds heavier, so built a little stouter. And his 40 time was a tenth of a second faster, the difference between elite speed (4.34) and very good speed (4.44). I'm warming up to the pick, but he's gonna have to maintain that level of speed with the extra weight he's allegedly put on.

Also, in hindsight, Austin didn't have much of a rookie year. Maybe the Jets got lucky when the Rams traded ahead of them.

But if Saunders can be a similar player taken in the fourth round rather than 8th overall, that's a nice pick.

Will say the Saunders and McDougle pick were puzzling. Picking Saunders over Ellington really makes little to no sense.

I stated this earlier somewhere in another thread. It seems like pretty much every pick that was made by the Jets from the 3rd round on were made for dual roles, either fulfilling their position as well as adding to special teams. Bruce Ellington from his stats is a WR and nothing more. It isn't a good idea to draft a guy in the 4th round that is now fighting for a roster spot and the only way for him to make this roster is to beat out another, most likely veteran WR. The Saunders pick makes a lot of sense given that the GM's job is to not just provide impact starting caliber players, but role players with depth and versatility to their game. Thats the difference between a John Idzik pick and a Mike Tannenbaum pick (A developmental player in Stephen Hill who can't contribute in any other way. So far a total bust). 

Now on to the direct comparison. Outside of the fact that Ellington has not produced anywhere else but at the WR position, we can't even say he's provided much production to even warrant a statement such as the one you made above. Ellington has been reduced to just 1 catch or less 5 times this season in a 12 game season, Jalen Saunders has been reduced to 1 catch 7 times....his entire 4 year career. Furthermore, Saunders junior or Senior seasons he's had multiple catches in every game. Bruce Ellington can't say that. In Ellington's 3 year career he's had 15 games of 1 catch or less, and of those 15 games, 7 games he was completely shut out.

In other words, Ellington can become a complete non-factor in many football games on top of the fact that he doesn't contribute to the team via special teams (Sounds just like Stephen Hill), while Jalen Saunders has NEVER been shut out in a college football game and has caught multiple passes in every game for the past 2 years and has also been an impact player on special teams (3 punt return TD's in 2 years and over 1,200 return yards total) 

To say that the pick makes little to no sense only leads me to believe that you have a strong liking towards Ellington but really didn't look at what Saunders is bringing to the table in comparison to what Ellington isn't. And Lastly, Idzik has put all of the mid to late round picks in position to make the team because they don't simply have to beat out another guy at their position. If they excel at special teams than that versatility becomes a commodity and it can and will be used. Ellington will have beat a guy out at the WR position and will probably fail at because his M.O. is that he disappears in games almost half the time. You can't do that as a 4th round pick and have no other way to contribute. 

I stated this earlier somewhere in another thread. It seems like pretty much every pick that was made by the Jets from the 3rd round on were made for dual roles, either fulfilling their position as well as adding to special teams. Bruce Ellington from his stats is a WR and nothing more. It isn't a good idea to draft a guy in the 4th round that is now fighting for a roster spot and the only way for him to make this roster is to beat out another, most likely veteran WR. The Saunders pick makes a lot of sense given that the GM's job is to not just provide impact starting caliber players, but role players with depth and versatility to their game. Thats the difference between a John Idzik pick and a Mike Tannenbaum pick (A developmental player in Stephen Hill who can't contribute in any other way. So far a total bust). 

Now on to the direct comparison. Outside of the fact that Ellington has not produced anywhere else but at the WR position, we can't even say he's provided much production to even warrant a statement such as the one you made above. Ellington has been reduced to just 1 catch or less 5 times this season in a 12 game season, Jalen Saunders has been reduced to 1 catch 7 times....his entire 4 year career. Furthermore, Saunders junior or Senior seasons he's had multiple catches in every game. Bruce Ellington can't say that. In Ellington's 3 year career he's had 15 games of 1 catch or less, and of those 15 games, 7 games he was completely shut out.

In other words, Ellington can become a complete non-factor in many football games on top of the fact that he doesn't contribute to the team via special teams (Sounds just like Stephen Hill), while Jalen Saunders has NEVER been shut out in a college football game and has caught multiple passes in every game for the past 2 years and has also been an impact player on special teams (3 punt return TD's in 2 years and over 1,200 return yards total) 

To say that the pick makes little to no sense only leads me to believe that you have a strong liking towards Ellington but really didn't look at what Saunders is bringing to the table in comparison to what Ellington isn't. And Lastly, Idzik has put all of the mid to late round picks in position to make the team because they don't simply have to beat out another guy at their position. If they excel at special teams than that versatility becomes a commodity and it can and will be used. Ellington will have beat a guy out at the WR position and will probably fail at because his M.O. is that he disappears in games almost half the time. You can't do that as a 4th round pick and have no other way to contribute. 

Just saying looking at Saunders 3 cone/shuttle etc....it's not good. Isnt that basically what happened with Peter Warrick once he got to the league? 

I'm really impressed by the suddenness of his routes.  I'm sure that's a function of his weight, but in a timing based offense I can see him being a huge addition to this team.  

And that's what makes him a different guy than Kerley -- and much bigger threat.  Not slamming Kerely, but he is neither fast nor quick, he gets open by being shifty.  Saunders is both quick and fast.  While he is not elite fast, Saunders does have a second gear and the suddenness you refer too.  I can see this guy taking a pass near the line of scrimmage and breaking it for a big gain.  He is also a player that defenses have to be really mindful of with potential deep routes, which Kerley is not.  I see him more as a situational, change of pace receiver and, ideally, we will have both of these guys of the team beyond 2014.  

Archived