Archeage MMO

Smashmouth

I quit vidjagames.  I has sad.

it's ok. no good games have come out since like 2010 anyway. the gaming industry is pure garbage right now.

board games on the other hand are coming out with some crazy sh*t

it's ok. no good games have come out since like 2010 anyway. the gaming industry is pure garbage right now.

board games on the other hand are coming out with some crazy sh*t

Yeah, Activision and EA destroyed everything I ever loved.

I still has a sad though.

What do you mean? The plot was set up from Brood War and it's still following that through.

Kerrigan wasn't meant to be the big bad anymore.

And I've watched a lot of SC2 multiplayer.

Like a lot a lot. Not so much in the past year but from WOL Beta to a little after HOTS release I watched a lot and MP is fine.

I'll admit it's not as micro intensive was BW was but it is still a solid gaming experience.

Blizzard and WOW are the reason MMO's went down the sh*tter. Players have been wanting more sandbox type games for years and video game companies kept trying to copy the WOW type themepark that leads you around by the nose telling you how they want you to progress in their game.

Bad news

The games in development now such as Pathfinder and Life is Feudal are totally sandbox based and territorial control PVP ...You build a castle you protect it you make the content. that's the future of MMO's the WOW model is finished and that game ruined all I love about MMO's because EQ1 and Ultima Online got it right.

Anyhow Archeage has a little of both elements early in the game levels 1 - 35 its themepark based and levels 35 - 50 through end game are pure sandbox. You build a house you build a fram you grow crops you raise live stock and you harvest the materials you can seel them or craft with them and the economy of the game is much more stable and ass hat griefers really will have a tough time surviving .

Most people in my guild play all the games you guys mentioned

The retcons were awful.

Overmind was good all along.

Kerrigan gets uninfested (they kinda fixed that in HotS but bleh)

Ok you have a point but I feel like other story elements made up for that.

Zeratual's memory missions were awesome. I still feel positive about the story overall.

I understand they wanted to balance Larva and Chronoboost with MULE or whatever, but I thought all of those mechanics were stupid in the first place, so nerfing regular gameplay just to keep them around was dumb.

Personally I like chronoboost. I always thought the protoss were way too slow to start up and I get that that is partially by design but that also makes them harder to play for new and casual players. MULE and Larva vomit were out of control though so yeah I see what you're saying. But that's a balance issue and it's not gamebreaking imo, I think ALL competitive multiplayer games have balance issues.

It's not a balance issue though imo.  Artificial macro mechanics take valuable time that players could be using to do much more interesting things.  Basically, macro should be about strategic decisions, not random crap that you have to do just to keep up.

Blizzard and WOW are the reason MMO's went down the sh*tter. Players have been wanting more sandbox type games for years and video game companies kept trying to copy the WOW type themepark that leads you around by the nose telling you how they want you to progress in their game.

Bad news

The games in development now such as Pathfinder and Life is Feudal are totally sandbox based and territorial control PVP ...You build a castle you protect it you make the content. that's the future of MMO's the WOW model is finished and that game ruined all I love about MMO's because EQ1 and Ultima Online got it right.

Anyhow Archeage has a little of both elements early in the game levels 1 - 35 its themepark based and levels 35 - 50 through end game are pure sandbox. You build a house you build a fram you grow crops you raise live stock and you harvest the materials you can seel them or craft with them and the economy of the game is much more stable and ass hat griefers really will have a tough time surviving .

Any of you play Elder Scrolls Online?  I was kinda interested in that before I quit games.

Yes and no. IMO WoW is the MMO at it's peak.

It's not the most popular MMO for nothing.

That said, it's dated and old now. New expansions can only do so much.

MMO's have hit a peak and plateaued and it will take real innovation to hit a higher peak again and revitalize the genre.

That said, different themepark MMO's that copy WoW aren't actually bad.

It's like getting a new flavor for your favorite brand of ice cream.

Some prefer chocolate, some prefer strawberry. Some like pirate ships, others like space ships.

I see that as a good thing but the problem with the themepark MMO's is they're overdoing it.

They need to understand they are all alternatives to the default of WoW, not a WoW killer or even competitor.

A lot of them come out and are subscription based because they need to make back the money they sunk into it and then they quickly go free to play because they realize micro transactions is the only way they're going to get any money. Most people aren't willing to pay for a different flavor of WoW.

Sandbox games are great but they aren't the end all be all of MMO's.

Minecraft, DayZ, and recently Rust have all been great to scratch the itch for people who like that kind of thing but it's not for everybody.

It's not a balance issue though imo.  Artificial macro mechanics take valuable time that players could be using to do much more interesting things.  Basically, macro should be about strategic decisions, not random crap that you have to do just to keep up.

Fair point. Although to make another fair point imo it's not exactly like most SC2 games last a tremendously long time. At least not on the pro level. Most games seem to be 15-40 mins long.

Any of you play Elder Scrolls Online?  I was kinda interested in that before I quit games.

I've peaked at it. I was impressed by what I saw.

Great voice acting. I'd wait for it to become f2p though. You know it will, just like TOR.

Fair point. Although to make another fair point imo it's not exactly like most SC2 games last a tremendously long time. At least not on the pro level. Most games seem to be 15-40 mins long.

Yeah, but if you're pulling 200 APM or whatever it is pros are up to, every second is vital.

TOR had such potential but it was just another WoW clone -_-

IKR

I would have much rather had KOTOR 3

Yeah, but if you're pulling 200 APM or whatever it is pros are up to, every second is vital.

Well yeah but they're all playing under the same constraints so it's not like anyone has an advantage really. It just might take a bit longer to get to the "action".

TBH action in a SC2 match usually starts about 5mins in and never lets up. I don't think that's a bad deal.

Bad news

You're nuts.  WoW's model is the one that makes the most $$.  It is far from finished.

My main game used to be Star Wars: Galaxies.  It was a total sandbox, but wasn't doing that well in subs, so they switched to theme park and destroyed the game.  Some games are better as theme park, and some are better as sandbox.

Look at EVE Online.  It still goes strong, and is a total sandbox - more so than any other game out there.  But if WoW was a sandbox, it wouldn't work.  It all depends on the game.

Also, EQ1 was not really a sandbox.  UO, yes.  UO, EVE, SWG - those were your sandbox MMOs.  No other sandbox has worked thus far.  I tried Perpetuum, which is a sandbox based on Mechs, so it reminded me of Mechwarrior (which I loved).  It seemed cool, but there was too little "stuff" to do.  It didn't have the options of EVE, so it fizzled....and is now f2p, or close to it.

So......theme parks are still the rage.  Nothing else is successful in the long term.

You're nuts.  WoW's model is the one that makes the most $$.  It is far from finished.

My main game used to be Star Wars: Galaxies.  It was a total sandbox, but wasn't doing that well in subs, so they switched to theme park and destroyed the game.  Some games are better as theme park, and some are better as sandbox.

Look at EVE Online.  It still goes strong, and is a total sandbox - more so than any other game out there.  But if WoW was a sandbox, it wouldn't work.  It all depends on the game.

Also, EQ1 was not really a sandbox.  UO, yes.  UO, EVE, SWG - those were your sandbox MMOs.  No other sandbox has worked thus far.  I tried Perpetuum, which is a sandbox based on Mechs, so it reminded me of Mechwarrior (which I loved).  It seemed cool, but there was too little "stuff" to do.  It didn't have the options of EVE, so it fizzled....and is now f2p, or close to it.

So......theme parks are still the rage.  Nothing else is successful in the long term.

SWG was my favorite game and Im still hoping the guys doing the SWG EMU succeed.

You can tout WOW all you want but the game pussifed every MMO out there because every developer figured lets do what works . The most of WOW's subs are from the far east not NA  while they still have a good NA following its not nearly as much as people say.

WOW was popular because not only did MMOer's know about the game at its release but players who didn't even know what an MMO was who were hardcore Warcraft fans also bought into the MMO concept not even knowing What else was out there. I know some hardcore gamers who don't even know what MMO's are and those Warcraft players were in that mold but Millions strong which gave WOW the boost it needed over other MMO's at the time like EQ2 and SWG.

trust me WOW is no different than most of the themeparks out there since they all tried to copy the model they are better made games because they are later developed BUT they are as most say "the same old sh*t"

The games being developed now are hardcore Sandbox and that's what a lot of games I interact with have been calling for for years.

I don't mean to knock WOW it was very successful in its own right but it will slowly diminish as the next wave of games release in the next 2 years

Archived