Thought police catch another body: Don Jones fined and suspended by the Dolphins for Mike Sam tweet

Matt39

Miami Dolphins defensive back Don Jones has been fined an undisclosed amount by the team following an incident on Saturday where he sent out a tweet critical of Michael Sam. Jones has also been banned from team activities until he undergoes sensitivity training.  :rl:

After St. Louis selected the openly gay Sam with the 249th overall pick in the seventh and final round of the NFL Draft, Sam was caught on camera kissing his boyfriend in celebration. Just after the kiss happened, Jones tweeted'OMG' and 'Horrible.'

On Sunday night, Jones apologized for sending out the two tweets.

"I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media," Jones said in a statement. "I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team and I wish him all the best in his NFL career."

Jones didn't just apologize to Sam either. He also apologized to the Dolphins: "I sincerely apologize to Mr. Ross, my teammates, coaches, staff and fans for these tweets," Jones said. "I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward."

Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey made it clear on Saturday night that the team wouldn't tolerate Jones' actions and coach Joe Philbin echoed that sentiment on Sunday.

“We were disappointed to read Don's tweets during the NFL Draft," Philbin said. "They were inappropriate and unacceptable, and we regret the negative impact these comments had on such an important weekend for the NFL. We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment. These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program."

The tweets sent by Jones marked the second time over the draft weekend that the Dolphins had to deal with a social media controversy. On Thursday, after Miami selected offensive lineman Jawuan James with its first-round pick, center Mike Pouncey took to Twitter to make a joke.

"Great pick! I can't wait for our gifts he's getting us lol."

Pouncey was named several times in the Ted Wells report that came out in February after Wells' four-month investigation into bullying and hazing allegations made against the Dolphins by Jonathan Martin.

The Dolphins haven't commented on Pouncey's tweet, but Pouncey has since deleted the tweet and his Twitter account.

As for Jones, you can see the moment that made him send out his tweets at about the 1:20 mark below.

Thought police aside, the fish can't afford stories like this in the wake of their bullying scandal last year. They were wise to jump on it before the league did, too.

Thought police aside, the fish can't afford stories like this in the wake of their bullying scandal last year. They were wise to jump on it before the league did, too.

Two in one week by the Fins is a big deal after the Martin sh*t happened.

And why the **** do atheletes need to tweet? Alls it seems to do is get them in trouble.

I'M KOOL WITH DIS DONUNT EFFECT MI LYFE!!!! You guys take this stuff too far - they're protecting Sam's right to makeout with his boyfriend on TV for ESPN. That this evil Jones guy has a negative opinion on it is just straight up un-American. We tolerate certain things in America these days, MISTER Jones, and negative opinions about those things don't fly (anymore)!   

IIRC there were at least 8 apologies last week btw. It's insane that noooooooooooooooooobody gives a ****, and in fact so many of  these dummies support it.

I was explaining this sh*t to someone yesterday because I'm a psychopath. That person's reply was - yeah but you and I are so insignificant that this will never hit us. OOOOOOOOOOH, like people rats. Yay. 

If you're going to take Donald Sterling's franchise away because of something he said in private, you're going to have to take measures against this kid for making a public statement that is every bit as offensive. The current environment, for better or worse, dictates it.

There's no better out of this. Literally no one's  life improves, no problems are solved...Just building a bleaker long term outlook for the vast majority of the population. 

What's most horrible and omg of all is whats happening to the first amendment

The first amendment protects your right to free speech. It says nowhere that dumb ass comments will not have repercussion. I could care less either way about Jones' comments, or Sterling's comments for that matter, but people have the right to react how they choose. When you are in the public eye, foolish comments of any variety will be magnified.  The comments from Jones are even worse because he purposely put them out there for the world to see.  Now, everyone knows he's a homophobe. Doesn't bother me that he's a moron, and I couldn't care less how Sam will react. Fact of the matter is that, in today's society, public bigotry is not good for business.  

people still have the right to free speech

their employers have the right to shut it down

The first amendment protects your right to free speech. It says nowhere that dumb ass comments will not have repercussion. I could care less either way about Jones' comments, or Sterling's comments for that matter, but people have the right to react how they choose. When you are in the public eye, foolish comments of any variety will be magnified.  The comments from Jones are even worse because he purposely put them out there for the world to see.  Now, everyone knows he's a homophobe. Doesn't bother me that he's a moron, and I couldn't care less how Sam will react. Fact of the matter is that, in today's society, public bigotry is not good for business.

pathetic how people just swallow the gay agenda

pathetic how people just swallow the gay agenda

Seriously?

Let's just pretend the word swallow wasn't used on purpose.

How is laughing at a bonehead for making a public homophobic comment "swallowing the gay agenda?"

By your logic, there should be no repercussion for public comments. It is absolutely fine that Jones thinks it is gross for two men to kiss. That is his right. BUT, he represents an organization that has plenty of negative pub of late, and the last thing they needed was to offend what would be considered by most as an oppressed group of people.

Seriously?

How is laughing at a bonehead for making a public homophobic comment "swallowing the gay agenda?"

By your logic, there should be no repercussion for public comments. It is absolutely fine that Jones thinks it is gross for two men to kiss. That is his right. BUT, he represents an organization that has plenty of negative pub of late, and the last thing they needed was to offend what would be considered by most as an oppressed group of people.

not my america

Are you sure you were living in America? lol. Not sure what cock-sucking law you're referring to.

Really? Are even aware of state or local gov sodomy laws?  You should at least be vaguely familiar witht Lawrence V Texas supreme court case???

OMG it was actually illegal to drink at one time.

BTW IBTL

Seriously?

No he's not serious.  This is his idea of parody.  Isn't it clever? He did get you to bite.  

And I'm closing this thread anyway.  There.  Now I am going to be the thought police on this one.  Beware my ungreased nightstick. :)

Archived