Jace Amaro had been arrested on felony credit card abuse charges as a sophmore

stugotz81

Came across this old article when looking up info on our newly drafted Tight End. I'm assuming charges were later dropped.  Seems like just normal kid sh*t to me...

http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2012-03-09/texas-tech-football-players-arrested-felony-credit-card-abuse-charges#.U3EOZ_ldWCk

Texas Tech football players arrested on felony credit card abuse charges
Jace Amaro and Kenny Williams were booked into the Lubbock County Criminal Detention Center.
Posted: March 9, 2012 - 9:53pm  |  Updated: March 10, 2012 - 1:51am

03-10%20Jace%20Amaro.jpg

AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

A Depot Entertainment District bar owner said two Texas Tech football players arrested early Friday on state jail felony charges of credit card abuse used a card without their name on it to buy about $100 in drinks and tried to use their status as Red Raiders to avoid arrest.

Texas Tech sophomores Jace Amaro and Kenny Williams were arrested about 2:20 a.m. Friday at the Firehouse Grill and Bar, 1719 Buddy Holly Ave., after employees of the bar became suspicious when the men were accused of offering a “big tip” to a bartender for using the credit card that didn’t match the names on their identification cards, according to the Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office and Chris Bourne, owner of the bar.

Amaro and Williams, both 19, were booked into the Lubbock County Criminal Detention Center just before 6:45 p.m. Friday. A state jail felony is punishable by 180 days to 2 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.

Bourne said the pair successfully paid for several rounds of drinks on the card during several transactions before employees became suspicious as the 2 a.m. bar-closing time approached.

He said Amaro and Williams were wearing Tech Under Armour football attire and, as bar employees called police, the players repeatedly reminded bar staff they were Tech football players.

“They were like, ‘We play football, we play football, we play football,’ ” Bourne said, repeating what he heard from his employees.

Bourne said he believes Amaro and Williams shared the drinks with friends. He said several people in their group were dressed in Tech Under Armour gear.

Amaro, a sophomore tight end, and Williams, a sophomore running back, were heavily recruited players on the Tech football team. Amaro also is charged with a misdemeanor count of misrepresentation of age.

Blayne Beal, Tech’s associate athletics director, confirmed Amaro and Williams were arrested by Lubbock police, but would not comment on the matter other than through a written statement he emailed to The Avalanche-Journal.

“Texas Tech will allow the Lubbock Police Department to conduct its investigation into the matter involving two football student-athletes,” he said in the statement. “Once that investigation has been completed and more facts are known, the university and head coach Tommy Tuberville will take appropriate disciplinary action if necessary.”

Bail was not set for Amaro and Williams by late Friday as they had not yet seen a judge, according to the Lubbock County Criminal Detention Center.

A Lubbock police spokesman did not return a call for comment about the arrests by late Friday. An officer with the Lubbock police sergeant’s desk said he did not know about the arrests.

Amaro and Williams were two of Tech’s top signees in the 2011 class and were members of The Avalanche-Journal Fabulous 44 list of the state’s top recruits. Amaro debuted last season with seven receptions for 57 yards and two touchdowns, and Williams carried 43 times for 135 yards and two touchdowns.

Both players have worked with the first team during spring football practice. Williams has been getting a lot of carries with the Red Raiders’ top two returning rushers, Eric Stephens and DeAndre Washington, sidelined by off-season knee surgeries.

The Red Raiders had the 10th of their allotted 15 spring practices Wednesday and then adjourned for spring break.

It came up in the presser at end of Day 2 as past off field issues and Idzik said they drilled down on it and were satisfied with the information they got.

Yea im surprised i missed it to be honest...thought I'd share for the rest who missed it as well

just curious, am I the only young person who didn't engage in typical "kid sh*t" like sexual assault or felony credit card fraud?

like, apparently I've really missed out.

possibly, credit card fraud does lead to some very good times....dont know much about sexual assault though 

just curious, am I the only young person who didn't engage in typical "kid sh*t" like sexual assault or felony credit card fraud?

Don't equate cc fraud with rape, victims of cc fraud are protected by law and get refunded

by their institution, kids do it all the time, I was victim of cc fraud twice last month,

and guess what, the bank put it all back in my account the next day, why didn't you add

mass murder to your list ? or would that be too abusive ?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Raping the cc is different than raping the person.

That said there is no age limit when you can commit those awful things. Good luck and let us know how it went!

But screw the credit card fraud...this guy punches too......i like him! 

Jace Amaro punch during Meineke Car Care Bowl 

punch_.0_standard_709.0.gif

I like this guy more and more each day.  That's no show punch either. Whatever was going on there, Jace meant it.   :D

Don't equate cc fraud with rape, victims of cc fraud are protected by law and get refunded

by their institution, kids do it all the time, I was victim of cc fraud twice last month,

and guess what, the bank put it all back in my account the next day, why didn't you add

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I think you missed my point.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

You had two separate incidents of CC fraud in a month? You been talking to a Nigerian Prince?

good enough for me

Tech football players deny credit card abuse allegations

Posted on March 22, 2012 by NewsRoom in Cyber Fraud // 0 Comments

NCS_FBI11-145x150.png

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Attorneys for Texas Tech football players Jace Amaro and Kenny Williams both released statements on Tuesday denying the credit/debit card abuse allegations and expressing regret for the negative media attention this event has brought on the university.

STATEMENT REGARDING JACE AMARO

Jace Amaro regrets the attention and criticism his actions have caused, according to his lawyer, Chuck Lanehart of Lubbock. The Texas Tech student athlete was arrested last weekend on alleged criminal violations in Lubbock. He is accused of two counts of the state jail felony offense of Credit/Debit Card Abuse and a single count of the Class A misdemeanor offense of Possession/Use of an Altered Driver’s License. A magistrate released him on his personal recognizance Saturday pending further investigation by law enforcement.

“Jace denies committing the offenses for which he was arrested, and he looks forward to a thorough investigation that will clear him of these accusations,” Lanehart wrote in a prepared statement issued Tuesday. “He cooperated fully with the management of the bar in question, and he answered all of their questions. He cooperated with the police and responded to all of their questions.

“It should be noted that only a brief preliminary police investigation took place over a period of minutes the morning of March 9, and an LPD detective was not assigned to the case until Monday, March 12. No prosecutor has studied the facts of the case, and no grand jury has looked into the case.

“Jace is saddened by the unfavorable publicity this incident has brought on Texas Tech University, the Texas Tech football program, his teammates and coaches, his classmates and his family,” Lanehart said. “He hopes the media and the public will reserve judgment on his actions until the truth is presented about what really happened last weekend.”

- See more at: http://nationalcybersecurity.com/tech-football-players-deny-credit-card-abuse-allegations/#sthash.MeCIpypm.dpuf

reminds me of ex Giants tuf guy TE Mark Bavaro but w/speed

SJ I was thinking the same thing. I loved Bavaro, even though he was a Giant, the guy was always good for a 1st down catch and would carry like 5-6 guys for more yardage. I was thinking Amaro was a mix between Bavaro and Graham from N.O. I loved this pick..instant upgrade for the offense.

LL

You had two separate incidents of CC fraud in a month? You been talking to a Nigerian Prince?

It happened at the same 76 gas station, someone was able to make a duplicate

card and use it, after the second time, I stopped going to that station.

Got tired of filling out fraud reports.

Did you really say Nigerian Prince?  You, sir, have stumbled onto one of my favorite off season sports... 419 Baiting.  The Trophy Room is chock full of Princes, Princesses, Chiefs, Barristers and other creme dela creme of the 419 world.

http://www.419eater.com/html/trophy_room.htm

Then there is the Hall Of Shame

http://www.419eater.com/html/hall_of_shame.htm

We got the next Manish over here with this post title. 

yea you sure about that bro? Not sure if you know the difference between the word "had" and "has" then. Clearly I wrote "had been" referring to the past tense.....

edit: not to mention I wrote "as a sophmore." You and the other guy need to learn how to read a thread title to the end of the sentence...its not that hard.....you'll be okay though

yea you sure about that bro? Not sure if you know the difference between the word "had" and "has" then. Clearly I wrote "had been" referring to the past tense.....

edit: not to mention I wrote "as a sophmore." You and the other guy need to learn how to read a thread title to the end of the sentence...its not that hard.....you'll be okay though

No I read your sentence correctly, I knew it was referring to the past and that it was in his sophomore year. 

While its fair to bring this topic to the forum since thats what we do here, I was calling you Manish because by virtue of the fact that you created this thread, you think it is of significance, which in my opinion is not. The charges were dropped shortly after and no problems arose from it. 

Like I said, i suppose its fair to bring up this topic but its the same sh*t I would roll my eyes about if one of these beat writers wrote. Painting the player in a poor light in the title simply to later say... "but it was all good in the end"

Thank you for your concern about my reading abilities though..bro

You are still young, I feel like you are giving up on things way too soon.

Archived