Ole Man SouthernJets random musings

SouthernJet

My thoughts today on draft.. quick tidbits:

- I like Pryor as a free wheeling asskicker. We need that 'Polamulu' factor and I cant tell you how many deep passes were completed vs Jets last year due to late arriving safety coverage

- I really wanted either Ebron or Amaro as the new hybrid TE/WRs. These guys dont come along often. Not only was it like picking a WR in Rd 2 but also a TE and most important a safety valve for 'insert Jets QB here'. Amaro important to geno as safety valve due to lack of finding secondary WR after primary covered. Important to Vick to possibly keep him from scrambling and getting hurt.

- Saunders allows Kerley to lesson injury factor/fatugue as he can now be our Punt Returner. If he develops into a slot WR, then Idzik can decide to dump Kerly when available for new expensive contract in favor of saunders.

- Competition at CB and WR now, we picked a bunch and hope a few turn out good. 

- Boyd brilliant pick at QB as we now have 3 QBs in same mold and Boyd can be a great Scout Team QB as he can mimic upcoming opponents defense whether it be spread or proset .Parcells used to say a smart Scout QB who can simulate a teams Offense really helkps get the teams defense get adjusted/ready for GameDay.With more teams using spread etc, Boyd will give our D a great challenge / learning experience leading up to GameDay.

- looks like some attention was paid to Special teams (which Westhoff always complained Tanny ignored) and a few St guys look solid. Our ST coverage/returns was lackluster last year.

- In the end, we Bleed Green and lets get this show on the road :)

Good call on boyd, who can possibly replace Vick next year for a

fraction of the cost as well. Brilliant draft considering all the

upgrades in special teams, depth. People are talking about both

linebackers eventually starting, that would be a nice savings to

put back into free agency next year.

I'm too lazy to look up late-pick LBs. someone tell me we improved out pass rush w OLBS.

Coples is big make-or-break favctor for our D, IMO.

A lot of people seem to like the Trevor Reilly pick. The fact that he's coming off a knee injury and will be 26 when the season starts dropped him down the board, but NFL.com projected him as a 4th or 5th rounder, and I've heard as high as a third round grade on the guy. He's married with a couple kids, and was in the draft at this age because he did a Mormon mission. It's pretty safe to say he's a mature guy who will come in and do whatever's asked of him.

A lot of people seem to like the Trevor Reilly pick. The fact that he's coming off a knee injury and will be 26 when the season starts dropped him down the board, but NFL.com projected him as a 4th or 5th rounder, and I've heard as high as a third round grade on the guy. He's married with a couple kids, and was in the draft at this age because he did a Mormon mission. It's pretty safe to say he's a mature guy who will come in and do whatever's asked of him.

agree, this guy is thinking more about mortgages and day care costs than what clothes to wear to the Club at night.

coples 2nd year in this position will pay dividends ,,I hope

And hopefully without missing a chunk of the early going with an injury. Coples is set to be an impact player this season I think. 

Archived