Looks like Andre Johnson could be on the move

brian101193

Ideally, I'd like to see what WRs we've got (from this class) before benching them all prior to their first OTA.  But you don't always get the chance to make that move later, after we've realized none of them belong on the field this year (or maybe ever).

If the asking price is reasonable - if he's even on the market in the first place - on paper it would be a pretty solid group of receiving options: Andre, Decker, Kerley, Amaro, and CJ out of the backfield. Also plenty of young depth at WR and Cumberland is a plenty-solid #2 TE.  

But I don't know how much speed Andre's lost, though, and he turns 33 in July.  Truth is it may sound better only on paper.  While it may look stacked at a glance, there isn't a burner in that would-be starting group except for CJ (who isn't even a full-time starter himself).  Judging from the Jets' draft picks, they seem to be valuing speed at the WR position.  Among the trio of WRs we drafted, Shaq Evans is the relative "slowpoke" of the bunch with a 4.50 40 time (Saunders and Enunwa being low 4.4 guys).  Andre was a low 4.4 guy 11 years ago, isn't likely in that range anymore, and isn't getting faster on his 33rd-35th birthdays.  Hard to say, though, because his field-speed is more than just his 40 time.

I don't know.  I'm just babbling.  This season, clearly Johnson is an enormous upgrade over anyone he'd be replacing in the starting lineup.  Also allows a younger guy to ease his way in.  But also forces us to cut bait early with at least one more, and we'd be forcing the issue to keep 2 of them.  I'd have to see the asking price, as he may be at best a 1-2 year rental before we decide he isn't worth $11M/year to us anymore.

If it's Andre Johnson vs. David Nelson, I'll take my chances with Andre Johnson.

You're forgetting the 11 million we'd be losing, along with possible kerley/wilkerson not being able to sign an extension with us next year which could dismantle our D-line, leaving a hole in our one solid portion of the team

Nobody sane is giving a 1st rounder for this guy. He's basically a 1 year rental without a renegotiation as his contract goes up next year and he'll be another year older.  He'll go for a third  imo

So, you are in for next year's first rounder? Don't say, well not for that...... It all comes with the decision to pursue a 32 year old receiver.

Some of history's top receivers at aged 32:

TO: 85 rec, 1180 yards, 13 TDs

Randy Moss: 83 rec,1264 yards, 13 TDs

Jerry Rice: 112 rec, 1499 yards, 13TDs

Marvin Harrison: 86 rec, 1113 yards, 13 TDs

Isaac Bruce: 89 rec, 1292 yards, 6 TDs

Reggie Wayne: 111 rec, 1355 yards, 6 TDs

Chris Carter: 89rec, 1069 yards, 13 TDs

Boldin : 65 rec, 921 yards, 4tds

Tony Gonzalez (TE): 96 / 1058 / 10

Nobody sane is giving a 1st rounder for this guy. He's basically a 1 year rental without a renegotiation as his contract goes up next year and he'll be another year older. He'll go for a third imo

Depending on how badly he wants to leave Houston, 3rd would be about right. Maybe a high 2nd if it's a contender.

Nice.

Now tell us what their numbers were in the following year

Sanders just had a decent receiving year his fourth season, Latimer is a rookie.  If I'm Denver, I'm assuming this is Peyton's last year.  I don't know if they have the money, but I'd go after Andre Johnson if I were them.

Nice.

Now tell us what their numbers were in the following year

NFL.com.

We'd owe him $0 the following yr regardless. Not what we can say about any of those guys listed above. Is a 3rd rounder worth a 1k season where he can help u win 2-3 games all by himself? Or do we draft another Derrick Strait?

Andre Johnson has never had 10 TDs in a single season, not even in his prime. I didn't even know that until I just looked it up.

But he's going to be 33, not 32. Some of those guys had no dropoff - quite the contrary - like Rice & TO (and others who didn't make your list at 32, like Mason, McCardell, & others). But Moss was noticeably worse at age 33. Bruce had a dramatic decline in numbers starting that year. Gonzalez had a big dropoff purely by the numbers. So did Wayne, though we all know the reason. Joe Horn was a beast at 32 and a distant afterthought at 33. My only point is if you're going to list guys who were still all that at 32 (or 33), to be fair you should also look at the numbers of those who fell off a cliff.

I don't expect him to hit the wall and suddenly be crappy this season (though his numbers may suffer on a team with plenty of other receiving options, or on a team that's run-first like the Jets). It comes down to what it would take to get him. A 1st round pick is pretty steep for a player we hope to get 2-3 seasons out of. But if the asking price is in the neighborhood of a 3, he would be tough to pass up on. Then again, there would be other interested parties if that's where the bidding began.

Andre Johnson has never had 10 TDs in a single season, not even in his prime. I didn't even know that until I just looked it up.

But he's going to be 33, not 32. Some of those guys had no dropoff - quite the contrary - like Rice & TO (and others who didn't make your list at 32, like Mason, McCardell, & others). But Moss was noticeably worse at age 33. Bruce had a dramatic decline in numbers starting that year. Gonzalez had a big dropoff purely by the numbers. So did Wayne, though we all know the reason. Joe Horn was a beast at 32 and a distant afterthought at 33. My only point is if you're going to list guys who were still all that at 32 (or 33), to be fair you should also look at the numbers of those who fell off a cliff.

I don't expect him to hit the wall and suddenly be crappy this season (though his numbers may suffer on a team with plenty of other receiving options, or on a team that's run-first like the Jets). It comes down to what it would take to get him. A 1st round pick is pretty steep for a player we hope to get 2-3 seasons out of. But if the asking price is in the neighborhood of a 3, he would be tough to pass up on. Then again, there would be other interested parties if that's where the bidding began.

Good point. I was merely trying to dispute the point that 32 (or 33 in this case) is not the age to hit the wall for elite receivers coming off a 1400+ yard season. He's not a player that relies on his speed. I believe he's got another couple of 1k seasons before the decline but he can provide an option that can help develop a young QB like Geno and set him up for future success.

Overthecap reports that the Jets are one of the only realistic landing spots for Johnson should he be released.  And that's the only way he becomes available as no one will touch that contract for a 33 YO to be.  No one.

Cleveland was a candidate (in spite of his desire to play for a contender) but today signed Earl Bennett.  None of the contenders with money available have a need at WR.  NE included.  If he wanted out, he should've voiced his desire to do so much earlier.  I think this is directly related to the Texans not drafting a QB that can start right away or landing one in FA.

Good point. I was merely trying to dispute the point that 32 (or 33 in this case) is not the age to hit the wall for elite receivers coming off a 1400+ yard season. He's not a player that relies on his speed. I believe he's got another couple of 1k seasons before the decline but he can provide an option that can help develop a young QB like Geno and set him up for future success.

My other concern, which I mentioned in one of my other posts that no one reads, is that he's not exactly the burner he was when he was at his pro day.  Our WR/TE corps will be much improved from last year (though this is true with or without Johnson), but it will also be one of the slowest.  You'd have to go down to our 4th receiver - whether that's a rookie, or if Ford is kept - to find someone with better than 4.5 speed.

To a certain extent, it isn't that important, as guys who create separation consistently don't generally accomplish this just from straightaway speed with a bonus for being tall (otherwise Stephen Hill would be open every play).  Lateral quickness, now fast they shift/pivot in their route running, these things can easily create a quick, additional yard.  Maybe more, depending on how well they sell a juke.  And an experienced, elite (even former-elite) receiver who hasn't totally lost it can still sell that.

And while they're obviously different receivers, with dramatically different QBs and situations in general - that 1850-yard single season receiving record, that Megatron just broke, was set by Jerry Rice...at age 33.

My other concern, which I mentioned in one of my other posts that no one reads, is that he's not exactly the burner he was when he was at his pro day.  Our WR/TE corps will be much improved from last year (though this is true with or without Johnson), but it will also be one of the slowest.  You'd have to go down to our 4th receiver - whether that's a rookie, or if Ford is kept - to find someone with better than 4.5 speed.

To a certain extent, it isn't that important, as guys who create separation consistently don't generally accomplish this just from straightaway speed with a bonus for being tall (otherwise Stephen Hill would be open every play).  Lateral quickness, now fast they shift/pivot in their route running, these things can easily create a quick, additional yard.  Maybe more, depending on how well they sell a juke.  And an experienced, elite (even former-elite) receiver who hasn't totally lost it can still sell that.

And while they're obviously different receivers, with dramatically different QBs and situations in general - that 1850-yard single season receiving record, that Megatron just broke, was set by Jerry Rice...at age 33.

Also keep in mind, the game has evolved and it is much easier to pass/receive than it was back even a decade ago. We have been seeing SEVERAL 4k yard passers last several years and a handful of 5k yard passers in recent years. This was nowhere near common in the past. So where as getting a 1k season from a receiver isn't a huge deal now as it used to be in the past, Jets still don't have a 1k receiver since I believe Cotchery in 2007.

What would the Jets want to trade for a 31-year old, and would it be worth paying him $12 million for at least one season? I honestly don't know as there are pluses and minuses to that. As other people have said, I doubt he'd want to come to the Jets. We might make the playoffs next year, but it's doubtful we're going to the Superbowl. Maybe in 2016, depending on how the rookies do, but definitely not next season.

Overthecap reports that the Jets are one of the only realistic landing spots for Johnson should he be released.  And that's the only way he becomes available as no one will touch that contract for a 33 YO to be.  No one.

Cleveland was a candidate (in spite of his desire to play for a contender) but today signed Earl Bennett.  None of the contenders with money available have a need at WR.  NE included.  If he wanted out, he should've voiced his desire to do so much earlier.  I think this is directly related to the Texans not drafting a QB that can start right away or landing one in FA.

Shut up about it. I've told myself zero shot, but uh...but. I'll wait for him to get cut before any optimism sets in. 

Archived