Why do i turn on ESPN and the first thing is see is Jets QB Controversy..

CobraVerde

vick is going to blow geno away in camp and pre-season

1. There is no QB controversy. 

2. Vick is a horrible but flashy football player. 

3. If Vick does "blow away" Geno in camp and preseason we should all blow our ******* brains out because its gonna be a sh*tshow. 

1. There is no QB controversy. 

2. Vick is a horrible but flashy football player. 

3. If Vick does "blow away" Geno in camp and preseason we should all blow our ******* brains out because its gonna be a sh*tshow. 

i want geno to win, just have no faith. hope he proves me wrong. if vick is the starter we are in trouble, not least of which because we have to go back to searching for the long term answer next year.

i don't think geno can ever be even as good as a jay cutler. that should be the minimum we should hope for but instead it is probably absolute best case scenario for geno.

Jets

Namath At It Again — This Time Says Vick Should Start For Jets At QB

Legendary Jet: Mike's Knowledge Of Marty Offense Will Be Too Much For Geno

May 14, 2014 3:40 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Call it Joe being Joe if you want, but Namath has his opinions on just about everything when it comes to the Jets.

Speaking to reporters at the Gridiron Gala event at the Waldorf Astoria on Tuesday night, Namath didn’t hold back when asked his opinion on whether incumbent Geno Smith or newcomer Michael Vick is the better option to start at quarterback.

“If Mike’s healthy, I think he’s the better player at this point,” said Namath, who didn’t make a prediction. “Now, Geno’s got some talent, no doubt. But we’ve already seen Michael and what he can do. Having some knowledge of Marty’s offense, I think that’s an advantage, too, for Michael to make the transition. It’s a matter of how sound he is.”

Smith’s rookie season had its up and downs, but finished on a high note as he helped the Jets win three of their final four games to end the season at a surprising 8-8. Though he tossed only 12 touchdown passes and turned the ball over 25 times, he still threw for 3,046 yards — and that’s with a wide receiver unit that left a lot to be desired talent-wise.

Namath said for Smith to beat out Vick he’ll have to improve dramatically in one specific category.

“The safest thing for me to say, the one factual thing for me to say that I know is his passing accuracy,” Namath said. “The rest of it, I don’t have a handle on – his mind, what he sees. The one thing I know he can improve on – and he does, too – is his accuracy.”

Vick, an 11-year veteran who is coming off an injury-plagued 2013 season with the Philadelphia Eagles, remains a dangerous pass-run threat. He was brought on board as a free agent to create a true quarterback competition, something general manager John Idzik wanted. However, he actually said not long ago that Smith is the starting quarterback and that his goal is to “help Geno become the best quarterback that he can be.” Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg recently said the following about the Smith-Vick competition:

“One thing I want to make sure of is that nothing impedes the young quarterback’s progression,” Mornhinweg said.

But Namath said the combination of Vick’s abilities and his knowledge of Mornhinweg’s offense should eventually put him over the top.

“Of course, the coaches are going to decide who’s out there. But I don’t know any football fan that’s been around for the last nine or 10 years that doesn’t think Michael could be outstanding and is probably the best player at this time,” Namath said.

The Jets will have their first organized team activities workouts on May 27-28.

Namath is no stranger to voicing his opinion on the quarterback situation. Right after Smith was selected in the second round of last year’s draft, Namath spoke out against the pick and assured the fans that Mark Sanchez would be a different player.

Sanchez now plays in Philadelphia.

National writer says Geno Smith won't hold off Mike Vick as Jets starting QB for long

Dom Cosentino/NJ.com By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com

on May 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM, updated May 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM

|

Mike Vick might say Geno Smith is the starting quarterback, and he no doubt means it.

But now that the Jets' offseason program is in full swing, will their coaches continue to agree?

Jason LaCanfora of CBSports.com believes it won't be long till Vick starts making a resounding case for his candicacy. From LaCanfora's column on Wednesday:

I don't believe Geno Smith will hold off Mike Vick long. Vick has executed the system at a high level and he is refreshed. The guys in that locker room will gravitate to him, young players flock to him because he's been through the wars and there ain't no way Rex Ryan won't view Vick as his best option sooner rather than later. The Jets did a lot of work on quarterbacks in this draft and Smith's attitude have given some pause to those around him and he'd best apply Vick's teachings sooner rather than later. I'm not sure the Jets will be able to keep this genie in the bottle, because I expect the quotes coming out of that locker room this spring to make it clear the best chance to win will come from the veteran and not the incumbent.

Well, then.

LaCanfora doesn't elaborate on that bit about "Smith's attitude," so it's not known what exactly he's getting at there. But LaCanfora also set his over/under on when the Jets will tab Vick as their starter at Week 4 of OTAs, which begin May 27.

LaCanfora's opinion appears to be pretty popular, at least so far. Tuesday night, Jets legend Joe Namath told reporters at the United Way of New York City's Gridiron Gala that Vick was "the better player at this point." And ESPN's SportsNation poll overwhelmingly has Vick winning out.

None of these people will be making the Jets' decision, of course. But it certainly looks like your summer quarterback competition is officially underway

He'll have to if he wants to start.  Merely being better won't do it-there has to be a huge difference between the two in Vick's favor.

i think it will take rex being blinded by a jagged toenail for him to be able to deny that vick is the better option.

vick is going to blow geno away in camp and pre-season

I think he'd have to to win the job.  The question that's really of interest, I think, is how much better than Geno Vick will need to be to get the job.

Anything that is remotely close, you'd think would have to go to Geno.  And, it's bad news if it's anything but that.

I think he'd have to to win the job.  The question that's really of interest, I think, is how much better than Geno Vick will need to be to get the job.

Anything that is remotely close, you'd think would have to go to Geno.  And, it's bad news if it's anything but that.

yeah i agree with that. the question is how much better is enough. i personally think it will be moot because vick will be undeniably better.

I don't understand what the hell's going on. Vick says it's Geno's job but Vick is making five million dollars. How do you square that?

Jets want Geno to show he's improved immensely with his second year and better receivers.  They will give him the opportunity to show that.  If he doesn't, Vick goes in to try to save the season and the Jets look to get a quarterback.  Five million dollars goes to Vick because the Jets are willing to pay to have a real option at QB for the season if Geno doesn't respond this year.

Jets

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Call it Joe being Joe if you want, but Namath has his opinions on just about everything when it comes to the Jets.

Speaking to reporters at the Gridiron Gala event at the Waldorf Astoria on Tuesday night, Namath didn’t hold back when asked his opinion on whether incumbent Geno Smith or newcomer Michael Vick is the better option to start at quarterback.

“If Mike’s healthy, I think he’s the better player at this point,” said Namath, who didn’t make a prediction. “Now, Geno’s got some talent, no doubt. But we’ve already seen Michael and what he can do. Having some knowledge of Marty’s offense, I think that’s an advantage, too, for Michael to make the transition. It’s a matter of how sound he is.”

Smith’s rookie season had its up and downs, but finished on a high note as he helped the Jets win three of their final four games to end the season at a surprising 8-8. Though he tossed only 12 touchdown passes and turned the ball over 25 times, he still threw for 3,046 yards — and that’s with a wide receiver unit that left a lot to be desired talent-wise.

Namath said for Smith to beat out Vick he’ll have to improve dramatically in one specific category.

“The safest thing for me to say, the one factual thing for me to say that I know is his passing accuracy,” Namath said. “The rest of it, I don’t have a handle on – his mind, what he sees. The one thing I know he can improve on – and he does, too – is his accuracy.”

Vick, an 11-year veteran who is coming off an injury-plagued 2013 season with the Philadelphia Eagles, remains a dangerous pass-run threat. He was brought on board as a free agent to create a true quarterback competition, something general manager John Idzik wanted. However, he actually said not long ago that Smith is the starting quarterback and that his goal is to “help Geno become the best quarterback that he can be.” Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg recently said the following about the Smith-Vick competition:

“One thing I want to make sure of is that nothing impedes the young quarterback’s progression,” Mornhinweg said.

But Namath said the combination of Vick’s abilities and his knowledge of Mornhinweg’s offense should eventually put him over the top.

“Of course, the coaches are going to decide who’s out there. But I don’t know any football fan that’s been around for the last nine or 10 years that doesn’t think Michael could be outstanding and is probably the best player at this time,” Namath said.

Namath is no stranger to voicing his opinion on the quarterback situation. Right after Smith was selected in the second round of last year’s draft, Namath spoke out against the pick and assured the fans that Mark Sanchez would be a different player.

Uhhh Didn't Geno play in Marty's offense last year?

i think it will take rex being blinded by a jagged toenail for him to be able to deny that vick is the better option.

Curious, is it just that you think Geno is destined to be an awful QB?  If so, then so be it, but I can't see what reason there would be beyond that to be sold on Vick for the Jets this year.

The truth is that Vick has never been much more than decidedly mediocre as a passer throughout his career and has only been getting worse in recent years.  Combine that with his age and being amongst the most injury prone players in the league, I really don't see what has some people so sold on him.  It's very possible that he ends up being the better option for the Jets this year, but that would not be a good thing, and he brings absolutely nothing to the long term benefit of this team.  Of course none of this is to say that Geno doesn't have some maaaaajor issues to get past, but there's at least reason to believe there will be improvement from him, while the same cannot be said of Vick.  If it's anywhere even close throughout camp and preseason, Vick doesn't stand a chance of getting the job.

Jets

With all due respect to Namath, whats being overlooked here is JETS are looking at the QB position for someone who could be here long term and not just from this season's perspective.

Vick the way he has played in the league is probably on his last lap in the league while Geno is only in his second year. So he is not the long term answer at QB position. Thats why he is signed for one year.

The JETS need to find if Geno is the long term answer this season OR draft someone next year who could be the long term answer.

Only wild card here is how Boyd performs.

Jets want Geno to show he's improved immensely with his second year and better receivers.  They will give him the opportunity to show that.  If he doesn't, Vick goes in to try to save the season and the Jets look to get a quarterback.  Five million dollars goes to Vick because the Jets are willing to pay to have a real option at QB for the season if Geno doesn't respond this year.

This is exactly it.  Unquestionably it is in the Jets long term best interest for Smith to step up and show that he is the QB of the future.

Vick is here in spite of all his baggage, because the Jets brass has some  doubts that he can do it, and they aren't willing to throw another season away.   IMO Smith has the small window of training camp to show that he is a better QB then a diminishing Vick.

Smith is the starting QB on paper, and will get the first reps in camp, but he is going to have to out play Vick to keep the job 

ESPN has always loved Vick and Farve, when you're attracted to men,

like those who run espn, looks are more important than the game itself,

guys like Tebow, Vick, Farve, apparently are male model types, hence the

attention from those who admire males.

ESPN was in pure heaven with the male on male kiss. It's what they stand for,

because it's what they are, I would like two hot cheerleaders kissing on the

Jet sideline every game, and topless cheerleaders would be appropriate for Monday

night games. The NFL network is even more male obsessed than ESPN, if thats possible.

Keysean and Sapp have to be the sorriest pair I've seen, they really have nothing

to say, I gave up on both networks a year and a half ago, I didn't have to suffer

through the 24 hour a day Tebow show was ESPN during Tebow's Jet tenure, and I never

have to see that style of journalism, personally can't stomach it.

Curious, is it just that you think Geno is destined to be an awful QB?  If so, then so be it, but I can't see what reason there would be beyond that to be sold on Vick for the Jets this year.

The truth is that Vick has never been much more than decidedly mediocre as a passer throughout his career and has only been getting worse in recent years.  Combine that with his age and being amongst the most injury prone players in the league, I really don't see what has some people so sold on him.  It's very possible that he ends up being the better option for the Jets this year, but that would not be a good thing, and he brings absolutely nothing to the long term benefit of this team.  Of course none of this is to say that Geno doesn't have some maaaaajor issues to get past, but there's at least reason to believe there will be improvement from him, while the same cannot be said of Vick.  If it's anywhere even close throughout camp and preseason, Vick doesn't stand a chance of getting the job.

i think geno stinks and will never be good. i don't think he has it upstairs. i fear he is a dumdum. But i am also wholly unqualified to make this assessment. he doesn't have the look to me but what the hell do i know.

Archived