4th-Rounder Shaq Evans Signs with Jets

FoxJet

4th-Rounder Shaq Evans Signs with Jets

Posted 11 hours ago

2012-randy-lange-headshot-thumb-60x60.pnRandy LangeEditor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

•  
  •  
UCLA Wideout Flies Cross-Country, Becomes 5th Draft Choice to Sign Today

shaq-evans-signs-article.jpg

Fourth-round rookie wide receiver Shaq Evans, after a cross-country flight, signed late today with the Jets at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

Evans (6'1", 213) is one of the influx of players into coach Sanjay Lal's WRs meeting room. After a slow start to his college career (freshman season at Notre Dame and one season on the sidelines according to NCAA rules), he became comfortable and moved to the forefront of the UCLA offense.

He led the Bruins both years in receptions and combined in 2012-13 for 27 games (26 starts), 133 receptions, 1,956 yards (14.7-yard avg.) and 12 touchdowns.

"I play with a lot heart, a lot of passion, and I’m a team player," Evans told reporters. "And I’m a guy that can go out there and do whatever you need me to do — catch a checkdown pass, catch a deep pass, and a guy that’s also going to block for you and just be an ultimate team player."

I'm intrigued by Shaq. He seems like a blue chip prospect that could really steel the show. Now I know some may think that we drafted this genie in a boombox, and others may think that he's a wash, but I think he just might got game.

Him and Reilly are the two guys (outside of Amaro and Pryor) that are going to be here in four years, IMO. Evans just looks the part of a really solid #3 receiver.

Him and Reilly are the two guys (outside of Amaro and Pryor) that are going to be here in four years, IMO. Evans just looks the part of a really solid #3 receiver.

Agree 100%.  Between Evans, Amaro, Decker and Cumby we have some nice end zone targets that should translate into more TD's vs FG's.

I think it depends. If we paid him in pennies, I don't think he'd appreciate it. But with the right kind of heat I think he kobe a stud.

I'm intrigued by Shaq. He seems like a blue chip prospect that could really steel the show. Now I know some may think that we drafted this genie in a boombox, and others may think that he's a wash, but I think he just might got game.

I hope so. His game does need some work. Pretty inconsistent but he does flash big play ability. Has no problem getting behind the defense. 

Archived