WR #2/CB #2

stoicsentry

We just drafted a whole slew of receivers, plus Hill will be given a third training camp to show he's finally come around.  Who knows, we might pick up somebody who gets cut during training camp as well.  Don't forget David Nelson will be an upgrade over himself last year because this year he'll be starting training camp with the team-he showed marked improvement at the end of the year.

As for CB, hard to say.  Don't forget Revis himself had difficulty his first few games, they were actually picking on him until he got some games under his belt.  Milliner was lousy the first ⅔ of the season, so any rookie we plug in there is likely to have similar problems.  CB might be hard to upgrade the first half of the year, we might get into trouble playing man coverage until later in the season.

Modern nfl wr #2 doesn't matter as much. We can have a successful passing attack with amaro/kerley/cj2k catching passes on top of decker. We can just keep sending hill on a go to take the top off the defense.

Modern nfl wr #2 doesn't matter as much. We can have a successful passing attack with amaro/kerley/cj2k catching passes on top of decker. We can just keep sending hill on a go to take the top off the defense.

So if there are only 2 WRs on the field, do you think we might be seeing just Decker and JK? Or would we be seeing Decker and Hill?

As to Hill's go routes, I hope you're right about that. The one thing I wonder about that is whether other teams will respect him enough to have their top taken off, so to speak. He needs to prove that he can catch those.

Hill and Patterson. 

The thing about starting Patterson is that he never plays a full season. Hell, he barely plays half a season healthy. So they're going to have to use someone else on the outside at some point, I don't know if that's McDougle or Wilson or Walls. The positive thing about our CBs is that we are stacked, we go 5-6 deep with decent corners. The negative thing is that besides Milliner, none of them particularly stand out as a guy that's going to play on the outside for a whole season.

The problem at WR seems similar: a whole bunch of decent players but beyond Decker, none particularly excites me as an outside receiver.

So, we still have some big weaknesses at CB and WR, but we're also better off than we were last year I guess.

So if there are only 2 WRs on the field, do you think we might be seeing just Decker and JK? Or would we be seeing Decker and Hill?

As to Hill's go routes, I hope you're right about that. The one thing I wonder about that is whether other teams will respect him enough to have their top taken off, so to speak. He needs to prove that he can catch those.

I hope the don't respect it and we get some big playd out of it.

I think we'll see a bit of everything including two te sets

I hope the don't respect it and we get some big playd out of it.

I think we'll see a bit of everything including two te sets

We didn't run a lot of 2 TE last season right? Yeah, putting Amaro, Cumberland, Decker, Kerley and CJ2K on the field at once might be an interesting look.

Cumberland and Amaro will be on the field together a lot....our 4 main targets next year will be Decker, Kerley and the two tight ends.

Expect Patterson and Walls to compete for the #2 CB role.

I think with Winslow last year and Amaro this year they've been interested in getting another pass

Catching TE to pair with Cumberland.

It'd also be nice to be able to run a competent screen pass this year with a rb who can catch.

Who do you think will be starting opposite Eric Decker next season? Who do you think will be starting opposite Dee Milliner next season? Do you think the Jets might be able to do anything to upgrade either of these spots before the season?

Good thread.  I think Paterson will be the #2 cb to start.

#2 WR?  I don't think it will be Hill like many have said, although I am rooting for him.  He needs to have a great camp though otherwise I think he is getting cut.  Nelson has more upside so it could be him to start.  Otherwise we will see how quick the kid from UCLA can transition to the NFL.

#2 WR?  I don't think it will be Hill like many have said, although I am rooting for him.  He needs to have a great camp though otherwise I think he is getting cut.  Nelson has more upside so it could be him to start.  Otherwise we will see how quick the kid from UCLA can transition to the NFL.

The thing is that having Decker doing most of the slants and drags and intermediate crossing stuff is going to put more emphasis on the vertical routes on the other side which favors Hill. Evans can do more than Nelson and Hill can but isn't as good at anything as they are at the things they do well. Enunwa would be the best of the bunch if he could catch.

You think we would cut Hill?? Our track record says he gets at least another year. We have a hard time moving on from people with no talent.

You think we would cut Hill?? Our track record says he gets at least another year. We have a hard time moving on from people with no talent.

Idzik didn't draft him, so it is possible.  I hope not, I think Hill can be good.  He is close to running out of time though.

The thing is that having Decker doing most of the slants and drags and intermediate crossing stuff is going to put more emphasis on the vertical routes on the other side which favors Hill. Evans can do more than Nelson and Hill can but isn't as good at anything as they are at the things they do well. Enunwa would be the best of the bunch if he could catch.

Really good post.

Can't argue with it, speed on the other side makes a ton of sense.  And if it is Hill I am fine with that.  As long as they don't drink the Clyde Gates Kool Aid, we should be alright.

I actually neg repped this thread by accident because I'm so used to neg repping stoic's posts lately it was just force of habit lol.  I agree though it's a good thread.  Sorry about that stoic :D

I actually neg repped this thread by accident because I'm so used to neg repping stoic's posts lately it was just force of habit lol.  I agree though it's a good thread.  Sorry about that stoic :biggrin:

I saw that and gave him a positive rep to counter it.

Andre Johnson would be nice.

Yes Johnson would be huge.  NFL Network discussed a trade scenario where Jets can afford Johnson's salary.....  trade Hill and a couple draft picks say next year's

3rd and 5th rounders for Johnson. Where's the phone?

Archived