Analyzing Stephen Hill

Villain The Foe

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/5/19/5731260/analyzing-stephen-hill

The 2014 season is a very important year for Stephen Hill. He will be entering his 3rd year as a pro, and he needs this next season to go much better then the previous two have gone. If it doesn’t it could mean the end of Stephen Hill in the green and white. I’m going to go over some plays that the Jets would love to get from Stephen Hill on a much more consistent basis.

Route Running

1-1024x640.png

In this play the Jets are lining up in a 3-receiver set. Stephen Hill is lined up in the Z position (highlighted player) where he will be running a Post Corner route. This route is very effective in man coverage, and if ran correctly Hill, should be able to have his defender bite on the post route, then head towards the sideline, where Smith should have an easy throw to make.

2-1024x640.png

As you can see Hill ran the route to perfection, he got both the corner and safety to bite on the post, and now all Smith needs to do is make the throw, and the Jets will have a huge gain.

3-1024x640.png

Smith makes the throw, and now it’s off to the races. Hill will get pushed out at the Buffalo’s 32-yard line. (45yd gain) Yes, speed is important, but at the NFL level, your going to need to run your route with precision. The Jets would love to see this more often from Hill.

Toughness

4-1024x640.png

This is a big part of the football game. The Jets are trying to get into to field goal range, they have 0 timeouts and only 11 seconds to get it done before the half. The middle of the field is taken away because of this situation, so the Jets are looking for a play toward the sideline that will allow them to gain yards and stop the clock.

5-1024x640.png

The Steelers were running man- man coverage across the field, but it was actually a trap defense. They wanted to bait Smith into throwing the ball to Kerley toward the sideline. The corner that was defending Hill goes to help out on Kerley, leaving Hill open down the sideline.

6-1024x640.png

Smith makes the correct read and throws the ball to Hill down the sideline. Troy Polamalu comes crashing in like a run away train, and lays a devastating hit on Hill. He is able to maintain the catch, and also get a foot and forearm down. Hill displays tremendous toughness on this play, which helps the Jet score 3 points before the half.

Deep Threat

7-1024x640.png

Stephen Hill has been blessed with the size and speed to be a deep threat in the NFL, and on this play we see it. Hill is once again lined up in the Z position, where he will be running a 9 route. Hill is matched up against the Bills number 3 corner in Justin Rogers. The Jets are looking to take a shot deep.

8-1024x640.png

Hill gets passed Rogers with pure speed and a little bit of hand checking. Smith delivers a perfect throw to Hill, and then it’s off to pay dirt. When the Jets drafted Hill they thought they would see this more. Unfortunately it hasn’t.

I don’t believe they want to give up on him in only his 3rd year, but Hill is going to have to show a lot more of the plays I discussed today, or else he will go down as another one of the Jets draft mishaps.

(All Images credited to NFL Game Rewind)

Hill's career peaked at the combine.  He caught total only 49 balls in college and is even less productive as a pro. The cherry on top is that if you look at him the wrong way he goes on the DL.  Even though he was not a 1st rounder, he will join the Jets pantheon of worst picks ever.  Now, that is quite an accomplishment.

Positives: Can run really fast in a perfectly straight line, as long as no one touches him. Age and size-speed ratio allow people to rationalize his terrible performance with words like "raw," "potential," and "skillset." Joe Bommarito thinks he could be a special player. Occasionally catches the ball.

Negatives: Bad at running, jumping, catching, and basically anything else he's asked to do on a football field. Gets hurt a lot. Was drafted two spots ahead of Alshon Jeffery. Hands and feet appear to be attached to four different people who have no interest in cooperating with one another.

Overall: I think this is the season he puts it all together, you guys

I imagine that Hill will win the "#2" receiver job in camp but realistically be the #5ish option in the passing game (Decker, Kerley, some combination of Cumberland/Johnson/Amaro - not necessarily in that order), utilized to stretch the field, and play the third most snaps among wide receivers when he's healthy - which won't be a lot.

He's actually shown some toughness - hanging onto the ball after getting smacked by Polamolu and I recall another tough catch after getting smacked by Cromartie when I went to training camp last year.

I've said it before, but the big thing to me is his lack of strength. He looks like a twig, doesn't do a fantastic job getting off of press coverage or in contested catch situations, and can't stay healthy. Another 10 pounds of muscle might decrease that speed a bit, but if it makes him more effective on the field and keeps him on the field it would certainly be worth it.

To an extent I think we also need to keep in mind that he came out of college as an extremely raw player and wide receiver can be a tough year to adjust to in the NFL. He wasn't a first round selection either, and year three tends to be when wideouts break out historically. Granted I think expectations should remain low - I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut. But I don't think he can be completely written off either and wouldn't be shocked if he makes massive strides. There's a pretty massive range of how much he could potentially contribute to the Jets this season.

Positives: Can run really fast in a perfectly straight line, as long as no one touches him. Age and size-speed ratio allow people to rationalize his terrible performance with words like "raw," "potential," and "skillset." Joe Bommarito thinks he could be a special player. Occasionally catches the ball.

Negatives: Bad at running, jumping, catching, and basically anything else he's asked to do on a football field. Gets hurt a lot. Was drafted two spots ahead of Alshon Jeffery. Hands and feet appear to be attached to four different people who have no interest in cooperating with one another.

Unfortunately, Sanchez was hurt last year so we'll never know Hill's true potential.

All he needs to do is learn how to play the sport and he'll be amazing. 

Lol....then he can start competing instead of running around trying to figure out what to do, and getting blown up by Safety's. 

No instincts...A big word in Idzik's mantra

If this was track, great, but it's highly unlikely in the NFL he's going to be able to run really fast in straight lines all the time.  And even when he does, he's probably going to drop the ball.

It's really hard to "chuck up the ball" 50 yards and hope your WR catches it these days.  It seems teams that win depend more on short routes, quick routes, TEs, RBs, etc.   They don't really rely on a guy like Hill to run as fast as he can 50 yards anymore and hope the QB gets 5-10 seconds to throw it.  

He should go to the Raiders.  They still love that deep ball kind of game that hasn't done much for them in years.

Hill's career peaked at the combine.  He caught total only 49 balls in college and is even less productive as a pro. The cherry on top is that if you look at him the wrong way he goes on the DL.  Even though he was not a 1st rounder, he will join the Jets pantheon of worst picks ever.  Now, that is quite an accomplishment.

Way overblown.  Why not single out Alex Van Dyke who was drafted with the first pick of the 2nd round and did less than Hill in his career.  Or any of over a dozen 2nd rounders who did less. 

Dorian Boose, Rick Terry, Ryan Yarborough, Browning Nagle, Kellen Clemens, John McGraw,  Justin Miller, Vlad Ducasse.  All 2nd rounders.  That's just what I can drum up off the top of my head.

Hill is disappointing so far, yes.  But let's not get more dramatic than usual.  He's not even near the top-20 of worst picks ever.  Probably not top-40.

the problem is, despite his speed and size, he isn't the kind of safety valve receiver that you can throw the ball up in the air, and hope he'll come down and get it - his hands aren't good enough and he's too uncoordinated for that.  Eli and other qb's seem to thrive off such situations, where they throw the ball up there, and his guy brings it down. With us, the receiver has to be open, and if not, there will be no completion. 

Way overblown.  Why not single out Alex Van Dyke who was drafted with the first pick of the 2nd round and did less than Hill in his career.  Or any of over a dozen 2nd rounders who did less. 

Dorian Boose, Rick Terry, Ryan Yarborough, Browning Nagle, Kellen Clemens, John McGraw,  Justin Miller, Vlad Ducasse.  All 2nd rounders.  That's just what I can drum up off the top of my head.

Hill is disappointing so far, yes.  But let's not get more dramatic than usual.  He's not even near the top-20 of worst picks ever.  Probably not top-40.

More dramatic than usual?  Is that a thing?   

Nobody complains about those picks because these people have short memories and a few were under that fat ****'s watch.  He did no wrong, remember?  Jon McGraw doesn't really belong in there.  He was in the league for like 10 years. He wasn't a stud, but he was an NFL player.  Ron Faurot is my personal nemesis, but he was a first not a second. 

Mike Nugent!

Mike Nugent!

Sadly, we've made plenty of more worthless players in round 2. Even as bad value, he was a far better pick in hindsight than Rick Terry and Dorian Boose, who started a combined zero games for us.

The tragedy of that draft was missing out on Aaron Rodgers thanks to making Chad Pennington the 2nd-highest paid QB after Peyton Manning. Our original pick was #26 but it was easy to move up to #23 for a 5th round pick (which is what Oakland did with our pick). But then we would have missed out on drafting Andre Maddox.

There is a reason why I only post in the mafia forum. Does every response have to be overwhelmingly negative and sarcastic? It's a toxic environment that is being pushed by the same threeish posters.

It seems you missed the thread of love sonnets directed at all fellow fans, every player, Rex, Idzik, and even Woody Johnson. Your loss.

There is a reason why I only post in the mafia forum. Does every response have to be overwhelmingly negative and sarcastic? It's a toxic environment that is being pushed by the same threeish posters.

Crazy isn't it? You would think that strangers on the Internet would be more positive towards each other.

the problem is, despite his speed and size, he isn't the kind of safety valve receiver........

Hill doesn't even know what a safety valve is. There were times last year when Geno needed him come back for the ball because Geno was under pressure, and Hill was running around out there like a chicken without it's head, with his back to the play. No instincts, Gates either. It'll be a good sign if neither of them make the team.

The Jets just drafted how many receivers?

Hills days are numbered. He gets the preseason to make his stand.

I forgot to look at who creates these posts. He did one on mcdougal too. I like em. Can we get one on coples and/or our pass rush?

Archived