What stats will rookie TE Jace Amaro put up this year?

NYJetsVets91

What will be Jace Amaro's stats his rookie year for the Jets?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What stats will Jace Amaro put up his rookie year for the Jets?

• 40 or less receptions - under 250 yards - 2 TDs or less
    • 50 receptions - 400 yards - 4 TDs
    • 60 receptions - 600 yards - 6 TDs
    • 70 receptions - 750 yards - 7 TDs
    • 80 receptions - 850 yards - 8 TDs
    • 90 receptions - 950 yards - 10 TDs
    • 100 receptions - 1000 yards - 12 TDs
    • 105 receptions - 1100 yards - 14 TDs
    • 110 receptions or more - more than 1200 yards - over 15 TDs
    • Something else (post in thread)

As I'm sure you all know Jace broke NCAA records at the TE position. In 2013 he put up 106 receptions for 1,352 yards averaging 12.8 yards per reception with 7 TDs to boot. What will he get in the NFL his rookie year for the Jets? Just so everyone is aware, these are ballpark estimates... If I was going to guess exact numbers I'd say somewhere around 68 receptions for 812 yards with 8 TDs.

hi-res-96beae61a09a0f6ee4290b7ae2cfab6b_

As I'm sure you all know Jace broke NCAA records at the TE position. In 2013 he put up 106 receptions for 1,352 yards averaging 12.8 yards per reception with 7 TDs to boot. What will he get in the NFL his rookie year for the Jets? Just so everyone is aware, these are ballpark estimates... If I was going to guess exact numbers I'd say somewhere around 68 receptions for 812 yards with 8 TDs.

I'd guess somewhere around half that. The Jets' top receiver caught 43 passes last year. They added Decker to be the de facto #1 WR, and added Chris Johnson to run the ball more than ever and use on dump offs and screens. Those numbers would be a great year for Decker on the Jets. Don't see a rookie TE coming anywhere close. 

40+ receptions would be a good haul year one, any more than 6TD's would be great.

Definitely can live with 40 and 6 from a 2nd round rookie TE. Paired with Cumby's numbers, the jets should have good production from their TE spot this season.

With the questions in the secondary, and the fact that we play Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago, NE twice, the Broncos and the Chargers, we may not have the luxury to try and ram the football down their throat for 60 minutes. We may actually have to pass some.

Four and a half catches a game for Amaro would not be a total stretch of the imagination. That's 70 catches.

Are any of the people predicting more than 50 catches for this kid even familiar with the Jets?

How many catches is Decker going to have this year? Kerley? Cumberland? Nelson/Hill? Chris Johnson? The rookie WRs? Powell?

They had 266 completed passes last year, how many are they gonna have this year?

Some of you guys are nuts. You're expecting our second round pick to have one of the best TE rookie season in NFL history. Yes, although those stats aren't much to go crazy about for a vet, they are for a rookie. A rookie even better then him in Eifert didn't reach near the total some of you guys are fantasizing. Add in that he's splitting time at best on a balance team with a high chance of it a run heavy offense.

Some of you guys are nuts. You're expecting our second round pick to have one of the best TE rookie season in NFL history. Yes, although those stats aren't much to go crazy about for a vet, they are for a rookie. A rookie even better then him in Eifert didn't reach near the total some of you guys are fantasizing. Add in that he's splitting time at best on a balance team with a high chance of it a run heavy offense.

He's better than Eifert, he just plays on a better passing team.

From worst to insane to realistic

Worst: He breaks a leg in a meaningless 4th pre season game in OT n never takes the field again.

Insane: 100+ catches, 1600 yards, 22 TDs

Realistic: 35-40 catches, 550-600 yards, 4 TDs.

There wasn't a scenario for 103 catches, 1057 yards and 13 TDs, so I opted for 60/600/6... the devil.

Why, cuz 6/6/6 wasn't possible? He can be the primary receiver on every Jet play at the opponents 1. I'm sure he can manage those figures

While I refused to give the New York Jets a report card for their 2014 draft class, I do have an opinion on it. The Jets came to Radio City Music Hall to play, loaded with 12 picks, none of which the team decided to trade to move up. They had their plan and stuck to it, making no impulsive leaps up the draft order. And out of all 12 picks, I liked Texas Tech tight end Jace Amaro in the second round the best.

The Jets made several good selections, so deciding just one best choice was tricky. Louisville safety Calvin Pryor was their first-rounder, and several football minds and former NFL safeties hailed the selection. Pryor is the perfect fit for a Rex Ryan defense, say John Clayton and Brian Dawkins. Mike Mayock said before the draft that he can see Pryor, a free safety in college, playing strong safety in the NFL just as well.

Cornerback Dex McDougle of Maryland was the Jets’ third-round choice at number 80 overall. Some criticized the Jets for waiting until the third round to address the largest dearth of talent on their roster, but McDougle is an NFL-level talent when healthy (he had season-ending shoulder surgery in 2013). Day Three selections can easily become important contributors, too – just ask late-rounders Tom Brady and Richard Sherman.

Jace-Amaro-jets-450x253.jpg

Amaro wants to catch 100 passes a year. For his rookie year, I’d settle for 80.

But if I’m picking just one player, I think Jace Amaro should prove to be the most immediate contributor to the New York Jets out of this rookie class.

I wrote in April that tight end was the Jets’ biggest draft need, not cornerback. I just did not feel any of the first-round cornerbacks would immediately improve the secondary; watching Dee Milliner struggle last year also gave me trepidation. On the flip side, the team needed another weapon on offense. Everyone talks about how weak and unremarkable New York’s offense was in 2013. The only way to fix that is to bring in more talent.

I waxed poetic about North Carolina’s Eric Ebron all spring, but the knock on him was that he didn’t block. Critics called him a “glorified wide receiver,” something many tight ends have become as the league grows more vertical. But Amaro is a better blocker than Ebron, and while there is certainly room for improvement, his being multi-faceted will come in handy in Marty Mornhinweg’s West Coast offense.

I like Amaro’s attitude. Though the idiom “chip on his shoulder” gets thrown around a bit too much in sports anymore, Amaro seems hungry to prove wrong all the teams that passed on drafting him. He called himself a better tight end than Ebron and claimed he wants to be a Tony Gonzalez-type who catches 100 balls a year.

On top of everything, it was a value pick, too. Amaro was no reach for the Jets – he practically fell into their lap after being projected by many pundits as a late first-rounder.

Amaro is the last new weapon the Jets needed to revamp their offense. On the other side of the line from returning tight end Jeff Cumberland, Jace Amaro adds even more firepower to a once-lowly offense now stacked with Eric Decker, Jacoby Ford and Chris Johnson.

NFL Owners’ Meetings: The spring NFL Owners’ Meetings are currently being held in Atlanta. Today, the owners voted to move the point after touchdown attempt from the 2-yard line to the 15-yard line for the 2014 Hall of Fame Game and first two weeks of preseason, as a test run for potentially lengthening the kick full-time. The owners also chose to table discussions about expanding the postseason field from 12 to 14 teams until October, meaning that the 2014-2015 NFL Playoffs will still feature just six teams from each conference. Finally, the league awarded Super Bowl LII in February 2018 to Minneapolis over Indianapolis and New Orleans.

Amaro wants to catch 100 passes a year. For his rookie year, I’d settle for 80.

Yeah, me too. Last time the Jets had a receiver catch 80 passes, Chad Pennington was QB. 

I think him and jeff will be the best tight end dou in the league.

Combine for at lease 1500 yds, and 14 tds, & more catches then the receiving core.

Geno Smith threw a total of 12 TD's last year. I definitely think he'll improve , but 14 to two tight ends? Highly doubt it. Some of you need to temper expectations imo.

Last season we got approx 30 catches and 475 yards from all out TE's combined.

If Jace Amaro can better that by himself that would be a good start.

Is that a guess/joke exaggeration?

Cumberland and WInslow each had close to 400 yards.  

Cumberland 26-398-4

WInslow 31-388-2

Sudfeld 5-63

Reuland 1-7 

63-856-6

FWIW, that is around 1/4 the production of the team as a whole and almost 50% of the TDs.

jace-jet.jpg

It is no secret that many of us here on Turn On The Jets were huge fans of Jace Amaro heading into the NFL draft this year. Personally, I felt like he had all the tools to be a perfect fit in Marty Mornhinweg’s offense and he would do wonders for Geno Smith, who didn’t have many reliable targets last year as a rookie. When the #18 pick rolled around and the Jets were on the clock, Amaro was on my short list of players I wanted to see have his name called (asI tweeted). As we know, that didn’t happen, and while I loved the Calvin Pryor selection, I was a little bit bummed that we may have missed out on the next Jimmy Graham or Gronk.

Speaking of Gronk, my next though was to pray Jace didn’t end up in New England. There was no way he’d last into the second round – specifically #49 when the Jets would pick again – so if he can’t be a Jet, he damn sure can’t be a Patriot, right? Well, the Draft Gods were smiling upon us all on May 9th, because that’s exactly what happened and the big Tight End from Texas Tech is now a Jet. I was fortunate enough to get a few minutes of his time recently to ask Jace a few questions.

Here is the interview, and be sure to follow Jace on twitter@J_Acer22.

Mike DonnellyThanks for giving us a few minutes, Jace. Obviously you were busy during the season at Texas Tech, but did you follow the NFL? What did you know about the Jets before you started the whole draft process?

JA: Yes, I was busy but I still found time to follow the NFL. With the Jets I loved their offense and I know it would be an offense where I could really showcase my skills.

MDNow that you’re here, what are your thoughts about playing in New York? 

JA: I feel like I’m very fortunate to have gotten picked by the Jets because this is the place I really wanted to be in. I felt at home when I visited New York and I got such a positive vibe from the coaches and players.

MDWhat are your early thoughts on Rex Ryan?

JA: I think Rex is going to be a great coach to work under. When I visited for the pre draft meetings and stuff I just got a great feeling that Rex was the coach I was suppose to be playing for.

MDI felt that you should have been a 1st-Round pick and was originally hoping for you to be the Jets pick at #18. Were you expecting to hear your name called in the 1st Round, and what places were you thinking you might end up? 

JA: I was expecting to get picked in the first round, yeah. Some places (other than with the Jets) I thought I might end up were with the Falcons, Green Bay, Seattle or the Chiefs. But it was the Jets who I was waiting for to call my name.

MD: #JetsTwitter would never let me get away with it if I didn’t ask this: How much do you bench? 

Jace Amaro: I can get about 375, and 400 on a good day. 

MD: Are there any Patriots defensive backs you’re particularly looking forward to running over on your way to the end zone, or are they all the same to you? 

Jace Amaro: (Laughs) I think they’re all the same to me out on the field. I just like to focus on my routes and no matter what defensive back, I know I can manipulate the defense.

MD: Finally, is there anything you’d like to say directly to the Jets fans out there reading this?

Jace Amaro: Jet Nation, I won’t let you down.

Is that a guess/joke exaggeration?

Cumberland and WInslow each had close to 400 yards.  

Cumberland 26-398-4

WInslow 31-388-2

Sudfeld 5-63

Reuland 1-7 

63-856-6

FWIW, that is around 1/4 the production of the team as a whole and almost 50% of the TDs.

Now that i reread what i posted  i forgot to mention other than Winslow who is not coming back which i thought i did.

And my figures we based on approximation.

Archived