Woody likes his Rex Ryan

faba

ONly slight point is we had a comparable situation here with Pennington and Edwards. And at that time Edwards did everything he could not to put Pennington in. Ryan is a better coach, but this is same thing defense-oriented HC is not really involved with the offense delays that decision.It's scared . And it's because everyone know even thoguyh it's the HC's decision he isn't really all that involved in the offense. A good coach understands both sides of the ball and makes the move. Ryan is not that. ANd Bellicheat and Carroll despite being from defense did it without hesitaation. Ifg the Jets made a comparable singing like Flynn there is no way he doesn't start.

Again, you gloss over it as a minor point that Belichick had Brady and Carroll had WIlson.  Matt Simms is the equal to neither of them.  There was no "without hesitation" move to make with Smith or Sanchez because they were the only maybe-starter ("well we hope this guy develops") QBs on the roster.  

Who was Ryan supposed to "decisively" make a switch to? Kellen Clemens? Brady Quinn? Matt Simms? Mark Brunell?  There were no Russell Wilsons nor any Tom Bradys backing up Smith, or Sanchez before him.

He stinks.  Smith stunk last year.  But the team - probably most notably Mornhinweg & Lee - felt he was more worthy of the team's effort and playing time than Simms.  Blame that on Ryan all you want, but you are de facto blaming everyone associated with the team, who sees them all daily, compared with what you think you've seen from a couple of pre-season games and some practice notes. If Simms moves on and becomes a good QB someday - which still doesn't mean he would have been in '13 either - then you can tell me you told me so.  But he's not going to be anything.  Hell, the year before no one even wanted him on any roster as a #3 QB even while QBs got injured mid-season.

Matt Simms is not Russell Wilson.

Matt Simms is not Tom Brady.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, you gloss over it as a minor point that Belichick had Brady and Carroll had WIlson.  Matt Simms is the equal to neither of them.  There was no "without hesitation" move to make with Smith or Sanchez because they were the only maybe-starter ("well we hope this guy develops") QBs on the roster.  

Who was Ryan supposed to "decisively" make a switch to? Kellen Clemens? Brady Quinn? Matt Simms? Mark Brunell?  There were no Russell Wilsons nor any Tom Bradys backing up Smith, or Sanchez before him.

He stinks.  Smith stunk last year.  But the team - probably most notably Mornhinweg & Lee - felt he was more worthy of the team's effort and playing time than Simms.  Blame that on Ryan all you want, but you are de facto blaming everyone associated with the team, who sees them all daily, compared with what you think you've seen from a couple of pre-season games and some practice notes. If Simms moves on and becomes a good QB someday - which still doesn't mean he would have been in '13 either - then you can tell me you told me so.  But he's not going to be anything.  Hell, the year before no one even wanted him on any roster as a #3 QB even while QBs got injured mid-season.

I love Rex, I mean love him. I agree with all you say here. That said, if I have one criticism for Rex, it is that I don't know if he really values the QB position for what it is in the NFL today. I saw how he pushed for guys he valued over the years. I don't think he has much say anymore, but he did for a while, at least it seemed like that in the media and also in Hard Knocks. If he wanted a better backup, he could have had it, and he could have pushed to draft one as well.

If he really valued the QB position, he would have been screaming for a real one at every opportunity he has gotten. If he had ever once done this, we would have heard about it being that everything slips out of Jetville through the media. The only thing we have ever really heard him say about the QB position was how much he loved Sanchez and how great he thought he was. Never once did I hear about him push for a real alternative. His actions with Sanchez also back this up.

That said, every HC will have flaws, and Rex's pro's so greatly exceed his con's it's not even funny.

The argument seems to be that if the Jets had Wilson or Brady, Rex wouldn't've started them. A dopey argument that isn't worth fighting.

Archived