Michael Vick says Jets do not have open competition at quarterback

slats

Michael Vick says Jets do not have open competition at quarterback

BY SETH WALDER

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Thursday, May 22, 2014, 1:39 PM

Michael Vick is talking like a backup.

The new Jets signal caller said Thursday the Jets do not have an “open competition” at quarterback. The team had previously indicated that Vick and Geno Smith would compete for the starting job, though offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg has said he doesn’t want anything to impede Smith’s progress.

A year ago Vick competed against Nick Foles for the starting job in Philadelphia, but said this feels different.

“Going through the competition with Nick, we knew both of us coming in that it was open competition and the best guy was going to win the job,” Vick said. “Pretty much cut and dry. This situation is different. It’s kind of unique. Even though it’s not an open competition, we’re both competing every day.”

Should the two of them play equally well, Vick surmised that Smith would remain the starter. “Yeah I would assume that Geno would be the starter (in that case),” he said.

Vick takes no solace in the fact that he’s a veteran as opposed to a young rookie who is still trying to establish himself in the league.

“It’s still tough right now...I won’t lie,” he said. “Because deep down you always want to be a starter. Hopefully that opportunity will come again one day and I’ve just got to keep working for it.”

Vick wasn’t the only one who shared his perception. Tight end Jeff Cumberland said the team is currently operating as if Smith is the starter.

“That’s the way it’s been so far," Cumberland said. "Geno’s the starter, (Vick’s) the backup.”

@SethWalderNYDN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/michael-vick-jets-open-competition-quarterback-blog-entry-1.1802123#ixzz32TJFXvJa

He's Geno wet-the-bed insurance. If Geno shows regression in camp then it's a legit competition, If it's close, they're going with Geno because he's the young guy, it's less headache to explain for everybody, and they don't want to live with the fact that they're going to have to QB again the next year with a 1st round pick that's in the 10-16 range.

Since being released from prison, Vick has learned to say exactly what his representation tells him to say.  He said at the start of FA that he only planned on signing with a team where he would have a chance to start.  Nobody believes he can't beat out Geno and I'm sure he fully expects to do just that.

I think you will see the headline of this article denied as we head into camp, but it is pretty clear that Vick was brought in on a one year contract which is not how you acquire the guy you want starting for you.  He starts if Geno is injured or proves he can't play.  Otherwise, it is Geno's job, but I think the team would prefer if this was presented as a fair fight between the two of them, so you will see denials.

Since being released from prison, Vick has learned to say exactly what his representation tells him to say.  He said at the start of FA that he only planned on signing with a team where he would have a chance to start.  Nobody believes he can't beat out Geno and I'm sure he fully expects to do just that.

That was before he found out that no team was offering him much of a chance to start. He visited the Jets and left when he was told it was Geno's job to lose, and they didn't intend for him to lose it. He came back when no one else came up with a better offer. I don't think this interview is politically correct talk from Vick at all. I think it's him seeing, and recognizing, that what he was told about the job is now actually happening.

“That’s the way it’s been so far," Cumberland said. "Geno’s the starter, (Vick’s) the backup.”

Seems pretty clear. So far, at least.

I hope Vick wants the job. Why would you want a backup to not go out and bust his hump to try to be the best he can be. That said I hope Geno shows he is the guy, although I have grave doubts.

For the future of this team, the best case scenario is that Geno is the starting QB and develops. Because if Vick wins the job and starts throughout the season that means we would likely sign Vick to another 1 or 2 year contract and draft another QB, in other words starting over again. Idzik has done a nice job of getting rid of the dead weight and developing a younger core. But what he can't control is if the QB he drafted is the real deal, only Geno can control that. That's why Geno is the starter as of now, because if he isn't this organization is going to take a bunch of step backwards.

Good old Rex. Didn't learn sh*t from Sanchez.

Agree but don't think this is Rex.

If this is true, and they march Smith out there after being outplayed by Vick in TC, Hockey season will begin a lot eariler for me, and the Jets will hit Knicks  status

Agree but don't think this is Rex.

If this is true, and they march Smith out there after being outplayed by Vick in TC, Hockey season will begin a lot eariler for me, and the Jets will hit Knicks  status

Considering his actions in the past regarding developing quarterbacks, what in his history would lead you to believe this isn't Rex?

Considering his actions in the past regarding developing quarterbacks, what in his history would lead you to believe this isn't Rex?

I don't think he has the power in this regime to make QB decisions about a QB drafted by Idzik.  I also don't believe that there is no QB competition. 

If you are confident in your incumbant, you don't pay a guy $5M to hold a clipboard, and from what we know about Idzik, he isn't paying $5M just to "light a fire" under a guy the coaching staff is committed to. There are questions within the organization, and Vick will get his shot. The valid question: how much better does Vick have to be to get the job? Personally, I think it will be moot because Vick will be clearly and obviously better and it will simply not be justifiable to start Geno. Hope I am wrong.

If it's even remotely close job goes to Geno. We have to see if this guy is our future or not. If he doesn't improve( which I think he will) then Vick is there as a legit back up QB which is what he is at this stage in his career. I think it's good for the locker room to know as early as possible who their leader is instead of constant pondering and question answering.

If it's even remotely close job goes to Geno. We have to see if this guy is our future or not. If he doesn't improve( which I think he will) then Vick is there as a legit back up QB which is what he is at this stage in his career. I think it's good for the locker room to know as early as possible who their leader is instead of constant pondering and question answering.

Agree. One thing to consider is that the longer the Jets wait to name the starter, the more likely it is to be Vick.

I don't think he has the power in this regime to make QB decisions about a QB drafted by Idzik.  I also don't believe that there is no QB competition. 

This is both Idzik & Marty's plan to build Geno into the QB that should take the leading role. Rex & everyone on that team says and expresses the same things about how they "really like" the direction the Jets are headed. That they see great things with the plan that is in place. A plan constructed from one man, Mr. John Idzik  himself.

I keep reading a lot of Jet fans comments about how they critisizes Johns plans or Rexs actions... Well with that being said, I think they are doing a great job.. It shows just how powerful 1 man can be and thats the Idzik model!

Fact:

-In just one year Idzik took a broken team with debt up to their ears and freed up cap space for over $50 million

-Took over older qualified players off the roaster to free up cash & new player spots

-He shut up, probably the loudest front office in the NFL & closed leaks that hurt organizations

-He has been "VERY SELECTIVE" in his choosing of players both unheard of & ones that pop out

-Most importantly, (my favorite), he is setting the tone and path for the NY Jets to follow that really resembles a sustainable, hard aggressive, fast team that will be a contender each year

My only concern is the Geno & Vick so called competition ...but I am not worried thou because last year was my judgement of Idziks "PLAN" when other Jet fans think this year is that year.. Either way Gooooo JETS!!! :rim:::GoJets::character0255:

We will see what the real plan is once the preseason games start.   I don't see how it's a "fair" competition if Vick only plays against the 2nd and 3rd stringers.  At that point, even if he lights it up and is far better than Geno,  it's still against other teams backups and practice squad players.   Nobody would care and he won't start because of that.   So if Vick is really thought to just be a backup and only a backup,  he won't ever get much reps or game time with the first team.   Which means there was never a legit competition anyway.  

I hope it's a legit competition.  Because if it's not and Geno comes out struggling the first few weeks of the season, everybody will be calling for his head.  Many people wanted Simms to start last season.  So imagine 4 weeks into the season and Geno struggles.    Fans scream for Vick and who knows what Rex will do.   People were screaming for Everybody else during the Sanchez years.  And they never benched him. It took him being hurt to finally be benched.

Best case scenario, Geno shows he is improving and we move forward with him as starter and hope for the best.   Worst case scenario is the Jets don't give Vick any shot at starting,  Geno stinks it up and is benched by week 5,   VIck comes in plays ok,   gets hurt a few weeks later, and they are back to Geno stinking it up.    

We will see what the real plan is once the preseason games start.   I don't see how it's a "fair" competition if Vick only plays against the 2nd and 3rd stringers.  At that point, even if he lights it up and is far better than Geno,  it's still against other teams backups and practice squad players.   Nobody would care and he won't start because of that.   So if Vick is really thought to just be a backup and only a backup,  he won't ever get much reps or game time with the first team.   Which means there was never a legit competition anyway.  

I hope it's a legit competition.  Because if it's not and Geno comes out struggling the first few weeks of the season, everybody will be calling for his head.  Many people wanted Simms to start last season.  So imagine 4 weeks into the season and Geno struggles.    Fans scream for Vick and who knows what Rex will do.   People were screaming for Everybody else during the Sanchez years.  And they never benched him. It took him being hurt to finally be benched.

Best case scenario, Geno shows he is improving and we move forward with him as starter and hope for the best.   Worst case scenario is the Jets don't give Vick any shot at starting,  Geno stinks it up and is benched by week 5,   VIck comes in plays ok,   gets hurt a few weeks later, and they are back to Geno stinking it up.    

Yeah I agree, there needs to be some sort of competition to push Geno but I think from what we heard and seen so far Geno is the starter & Vick is just there to really help him develop... Who knows it might work but only time will tell & that really suck!

If you are confident in your incumbant, you don't pay a guy $5M to hold a clipboard, and from what we know about Idzik, he isn't paying $5M just to "light a fire" under a guy the coaching staff is committed to. There are questions within the organization, and Vick will get his shot. The valid question: how much better does Vick have to be to get the job? Personally, I think it will be moot because Vick will be clearly and obviously better and it will simply not be justifiable to start Geno. Hope I am wrong.

Indianapolis did exactly this, after Andrew Luck's rookie season.  

So I guess entering 2013 the Colts weren't confident in Andrew Luck.

Vick got $5M because he was the top QB on the market.  He's worth an extra bit to the Jets compared to most other teams because Geno had a rocky rookie season, Vick's experience with the Jets' OC, and Vick's (alleged) help in the mentor role in Philadelphia after he lost the starting job.  As much as I think Vick deserves to be dropped naked into a hungry rottweiler pit, he was a perfect fit.  A more ideal situation would be if he "only" cost $2-3M but that's not what was available.  If he truly helps Geno turn into an effective starter, and a valuable asset to the team, then the one-time "lost" $2M in cap space is as meaningless as meaningless can be.

And if Geno flops, Vick is a more legit option to start the rest of the season, and is more likely to be an asset, than most Ryan Fitzpatrick types.

So as much as I want Geno to win the job for the betterment of the Jets' future, I want it double so I don't see that piece of garbage Vick out there as our starting QB.

Thats what Tim Tebow said too...

Thats what Tim Tebow said too...

Yup, two full of $hit actors.  Neither one expects or expected to be on the bench but they're listening to their handlers.  JMO of course.

Archived