•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How the Jets Court Potential Talent

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 F.Chowds

F.Chowds

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J.—Jacoby Ford remembers everything about the day the courtship began: The pickup from the airport. The shower of compliments. The steak dinner. And, of course, the invitation to head somewhere more private for a physical exam.

As far as manners go, the New York Jets are gentlemen when it comes to wooing free agents.

In the technology-savvy National Football League, where players now study Xs and Os on iPads rather than in playbooks, the Jets still employ an old-fashioned way of pursuing players during the off-season: They ply them with steak and booze.

The Jets were frisky suitors in the past three months, winning over quarterback Michael Vick, running back Chris Johnson, right tackle Breno Giacomini and two receivers, Eric Decker and Ford.

Coaches lavished the apples of their eyes with praise, and wined and dined at least three of the players in New Jersey's finest restaurants. They would consummate the relationship by inviting them back to the team's swanky training facility to take a physical and sign a contract.

According to Ford, a 26-year-old receiver and kick returner who spent his first four season with the Oakland Raiders, the Jets even picked him up. He said that in late March or early April, the Jets flew him to Newark International Airport, where a Chevrolet Suburban was waiting for him. It whisked him to the Jets facility, where he got a tour and spoke with general manager John Idzik and head coach Rex Ryan in Idzik's office.

The Jets leaders told Ford, one of the NFL's fastest players, that he would fit in perfectly with the team. Ford and Ryan talked about Clemson, the receiver's alma mater, where Ryan's son currently plays football. Ford then met the team's offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg, and its special-teams coordinator, Thomas McGaughey.

Then Mornwinheg, along with another Jets staffer, took Ford out to a nearby steakhouse for dinner.

The three talked some football, but the dinner conversation was more of a get-to-know-you session. "Do you have a family? Do you have a girlfriend?" Ford recalled being asked, as he enjoyed his eight-ounce filet mignon and side of asparagus.

After dinner, the receiver said, he retreated to the hotel room the Jets had booked for him. The next morning, he took the physical, signed the contract and flew home to Florida.

Just as corporations recruit potential hires over dinner, so do football teams. And why not? Professional sports franchises are wise to pull out all the stops to vet and seduce multi-million-dollar investments. They aren't necessarily essential, though; Vick said he didn't have dinner with team officials during his five-hour visit.

Giacomini said it was the terms of his contract and his comfort with the team that led him to choose the Jets.

"It's all about business at the end of the day," he said.

Still, he said, "it's good to get to know the coaches in case you do sign." Giacomini, who won a Super Bowl with the Seattle Seahawks in February, said the Jets' two offensive-line coaches, Mike Devlin and Ron Heller, and another staffer took him to a bring-your-own-booze Italian restaurant in Morristown, N.J.

There, they asked the right tackle what he wanted to wash his chicken parmesan down with. He said a six-pack of Bud Light

He and his dining companions talked about their families and hunting as Giacomini easily drained the half-dozen bottles. "It was my first time meeting the coaches, so I didn't want to ask for a 30-rack right away," he said.

Edited by F.Chowds, 23 May 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#2 raffyD

raffyD

disgruntled veteran

• Members
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J.—Jacoby Ford remembers everything about the day the courtship began: The pickup from the airport. The shower of compliments. The steak dinner. And, of course, the invitation to head somewhere more private for a physical exam.

As far as manners go, the New York Jets are gentlemen when it comes to wooing free agents.

In the technology-savvy National Football League, where players now study Xs and Os on iPads rather than in playbooks, the Jets still employ an old-fashioned way of pursuing players during the off-season: They ply them with steak and booze.

The Jets were frisky suitors in the past three months, winning over quarterback Michael Vick, running back Chris Johnson, right tackle Breno Giacomini and two receivers, Eric Decker and Ford.

Coaches lavished the apples of their eyes with praise, and wined and dined at least three of the players in New Jersey's finest restaurants. They would consummate the relationship by inviting them back to the team's swanky training facility to take a physical and sign a contract.

According to Ford, a 26-year-old receiver and kick returner who spent his first four season with the Oakland Raiders, the Jets even picked him up. He said that in late March or early April, the Jets flew him to Newark International Airport, where a Chevrolet Suburban was waiting for him. It whisked him to the Jets facility, where he got a tour and spoke with general manager John Idzik and head coach Rex Ryan in Idzik's office.

The Jets leaders told Ford, one of the NFL's fastest players, that he would fit in perfectly with the team. Ford and Ryan talked about Clemson, the receiver's alma mater, where Ryan's son currently plays football. Ford then met the team's offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg, and its special-teams coordinator, Thomas McGaughey.

Then Mornwinheg, along with another Jets staffer, took Ford out to a nearby steakhouse for dinner.

The three talked some football, but the dinner conversation was more of a get-to-know-you session. "Do you have a family? Do you have a girlfriend?" Ford recalled being asked, as he enjoyed his eight-ounce filet mignon and side of asparagus.

After dinner, the receiver said, he retreated to the hotel room the Jets had booked for him. The next morning, he took the physical, signed the contract and flew home to Florida.

Just as corporations recruit potential hires over dinner, so do football teams. And why not? Professional sports franchises are wise to pull out all the stops to vet and seduce multi-million-dollar investments. They aren't necessarily essential, though; Vick said he didn't have dinner with team officials during his five-hour visit.

Giacomini said it was the terms of his contract and his comfort with the team that led him to choose the Jets.

"It's all about business at the end of the day," he said.

Still, he said, "it's good to get to know the coaches in case you do sign." Giacomini, who won a Super Bowl with the Seattle Seahawks in February, said the Jets' two offensive-line coaches, Mike Devlin and Ron Heller, and another staffer took him to a bring-your-own-booze Italian restaurant in Morristown, N.J.

There, they asked the right tackle what he wanted to wash his chicken parmesan down with. He said a six-pack of Bud Light

He and his dining companions talked about their families and hunting as Giacomini easily drained the half-dozen bottles. "It was my first time meeting the coaches, so I didn't want to ask for a 30-rack right away," he said.

Sounds like a guy I'd like to tailgate with.

GO JETS!

#3 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:12 AM

I swear to God I read the thread title as "How the Jets cure potential talent".

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#4 LWC611

LWC611

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

It is nice to get some insight as to how teams commuinicate and woo free agents.  But at the end of the day... food and liquor are two good ingredients to seal the deal.

Just Enjoy The Season

#5 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

It is nice to get some insight as to how teams commuinicate and woo free agents.  But at the end of the day... food and liquor are two good ingredients to seal the deal.

Word on the street is Idzik made a large purchase of roofies in late February.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#6 LWC611

LWC611

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:26 AM

Word on the street is Idzik made a large purchase of roofies in late February.

I wish he could have given some to a FA  CB

Just Enjoy The Season

#7 sourceworx

sourceworx

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationPatchogue, NY

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

POPULAR

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

#8 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

I wish he could have given some to a FA  CB

If McDougle or someone else takes to the role, we're better off.  Time will tell on that one.

JetNation.com

#9 LWC611

LWC611

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

If McDougle or someone else takes to the role, we're better off.  Time will tell on that one.

I do not disagree, but that is one big if....

Just Enjoy The Season

#10 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

I do not disagree, but that is one big if....

It's not that big of an if.  Every decent, starting CB is not acquired via an $8-12M/year contract.

JetNation.com

#11 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,770 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

Cromartie was frankly terrible last year and Milliner at the start of the year really bad. Just going on that we should see improved play from Milliner progressing and a combo of experienced guys with McDougle a unknown X factor

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#12 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 17,331 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

POPULAR

Nothing says we care like BYOB Italian in Morristown.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#13 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 34,324 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Jacoby Ford was such a wasted talent in Oakland. I really hope he's got something left and can stay on the field, he'd quietly be one of the best signings that nobody talked about at all. 

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#14 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 34,324 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:34 AM

"You had me at chicken parm"

Big life decisions according to Crusher and offensive linemen.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#15 GREENBEAN

GREENBEAN

I may or may not like things

• Members
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

and talk about profiling eh?   Why ya gotta bring Giacomini to the Italian restaurant?    "Bring him to the Paisan place. That's what they eat John"

I'm sure he would have liked Arthurs steakhouse too man. What?  300 lb Italian guys don't like steaks ?  :D

Why must the Jets make it possible for me to be ridiculed at work EVERY SINGLE YEAR??????

/Users/christopherteaney/Downloads/dark-elf-shaiya.jpg

#16 BroadwayJets

BroadwayJets

NFL Free Agent

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationNY/FL

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

At least they're all getting wined and dined before they get f*cked

new-york-jets-logo.jpg

#17 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

and talk about profiling eh?   Why ya gotta bring Giacomini to the Italian restaurant?    "Bring him to the Paisan place. That's what they eat John"

I'm sure he would have liked Arthurs steakhouse too man. What?  300 lb Italian guys don't like steaks ?   :biggrin:

Giacomini is Brazilian.

#18 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,774 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

I swear to God I read the thread title as "How the Jets cure potential talent".

Link?

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#19 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Link?

http://www.pro-footb...s/nyj/draft.htm

#20 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,738 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

I'm sure he would have liked Arthurs steakhouse too man. What?  300 lb Italian guys don't like steaks ?   :biggrin:

Eww. 

And Giacomini isn't Italian.  Profile much?

;)

JetNation.com

#21 dundunit

dundunit

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

Probably bring these guys to Pazzo Pazzo, they seem to support the Jets and will say anything we want them to say...jk

#22 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

keen's is for closers

made/spent a lot of money there

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#23 Freemanm

Freemanm

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

I'm worried Giacomini is an alkie

#24 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,774 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:05 PM

LOL, nice one.

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#25 predator_05

predator_05

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Giacomini is Brazilian.

Should have taken him to Ringside in Jersey City

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users