Antonio Allen 'not at all' concerned about his playing time

F.Chowds

Antonio Allen was caught off guard by the Jets’ selection of Louisville safety Calvin Pryor in the first round. But the more Allen thought about it, the less he worried about this status in the secondary.

“I don’t think anything’s going to change for me,” he said Thursday. “I’ve put a lot of good games on film and I’ve worked really hard, just starting from the bottom coming up. Hopefully we’ll both be out there on the field. We play a lot of safeties, so.”

It took some time for Allen, a former seventh-round pick if the Jets in 2012, to work his way up the depth chart. And now that’s he’s accustomed to playing more, he’s not giving up his starting job without a fight. Rex Ryan and the rest of defensive coaches raved about his improved play last year, but the young safety was immediately benched in favor of the agingEd Reed – a move that ultimately hurt the Jets secondary instead of helping. Upon Reed's November signing, Allen was informed that his playing time would decrease. But the young safety admitted to reporters last year that he didn't expect to be riding the bench so much.

Now some see the arrival of Pryor – a hard-hitting and trash-talking safety – as a bad sign for Allen. But Allen said he isn’t worried.

“Not at all, as far as I’m concerned,” he said of potentially losing playing time to Pryor.

When a reporter asked why he was so confident, Allen smiled and said: “Did you see last year, man? You watched the tape? Man, I put on a lot of good tape, man. I’m just confident in my ability and what I can do out there on the field.”

His competitive spirit hasn’t stopped him from helping Pryor, however. “(I) give him everything I know,” said the third-year safety.

But Allen has no plans of giving up his starting job. That means, the rookie will have to take it.

“Can’t be afraid of competition. That’s the way I see it,” Allen said. “It is what it is. If he’s going to take my spot, he’s the better man for the spot. But I’m going to come in and play and do what I do.”

Put Allen at the SS position and let Pryor roam free. Thats a pretty attractive situation imo. Let Allen shut down the TE's and let Pryor destroy every WR running a Post or Dig route. If its a running play then you already have Allen in the box and we've heard much rave about Pryor's range regarding his ability to fly up to the ball while playing deep in the backfield. Landry has certainly had a career. Let him be the depth that we need and let the young bucks get on the field.

Allen isn't stretching it here. He did have some pretty good games last year. Most every jet fan didnt appreciate how he was benched for Ed Reed, especially with the way Ed Reed started off.

Put Allen at the SS position and let Pryor roam free. Thats a pretty attractive situation imo. Let Allen shut down the TE's and let Pryor destroy every WR running a Post or Dig route. If its a running play then you already have Allen in the box and we've heard much rave about Pryor's range regarding his ability to fly up to the ball while playing deep in the backfield. Landry has certainly had a career. Let him be the depth that we need and let the young bucks get on the field.

Allen isn't stretching it here. He did have some pretty good games last year. Most every jet fan didnt appreciate how he was benched for Ed Reed, especially with the way Ed Reed started off.

I agree and think this is more of what we will see. Landry was underwhelming last season and is more suited for veteran depth at this point in his career. We have two young, competitive and hungry guys for the position.

That's what we will do. Pryor's hard hitting has people thinking of him as more of a run stuffing SS but his range and athletic ability can mean he fits better as the roaming FS. It all depends on his coverage ability at this level. 

How wonderful would it be to have a true intimidator running around back there? It's been far too long. ( L.Landry's one season here doesn't count lol) 

I think Jarret will play over Allen. The guy just makes better hits out there. Both are bad in zone coverage (playing the flats or under 1) it seems.

I really liked what Jarret did last year when he played, however I think double-a gets the first shot at it.

Archived