Stephen "Soon to be Cut" Hill says he grew.. physically.

pointman

Who grows 1.5 inches at age 23??

Keep your mouth shut and take advantage of the little oppty you'll have early in camp, Manute Bol.

I'm sure in healthy specimens it is not impossible. Not to do the "I have a buddy" thing but I have a buddy who caught up in height during his early 20's. 

Since this is the NFL I am assuming some HGH assistance. 

It would be great if he could turn into something.  Granted what we know now is different from what we wished 2 years ago, but he was drafted to be our #1 in time not a complementary piece. There have been some pretty unproductive WRs for whom the light just went on from out of nowhere (from the fans' perspectives).  Look at Miles Austin.  Granted, injuries robbed him of a consistently productive career.  But just looking him up by the #s, he came into the league in 2006.  Entering the 2009 season he had 18 catches for 350 yards over his 3-year career. Then in '09, without the benefit of starting 10 games, he exploded like T0mShane on a Darrell Bevell poster.

Interesting side note about him, for those who don't remember.  Tannenbaum tried to trade for him before the '09 draft, but backed out because Dallas wanted our 2nd round pick. I can understand not pulling the trigger on that, given his dearth of actual production in 3 NFL seasons, but it would have been nice. In particular since we wouldn't have had enough trade ammo left to move all the way up to #5 for Sanchez. 

Anyway, Austin did less than Smith until his 4th season.  The guy he couldn't bump out of the #2/starting job for the latter 2 years (and the first 6 games of his 4th season) was Patrick Crayton.  Not an untalented guy, but clearly Crayton was displaceable. Roy Williams also, but that one was tougher given the team's massive investment in him (#1, #3, #6 picks plus a $54M contract with half of it guaranteed -- ouch).

The difference is Austin was an un-drafted player who pretty much was a special teams player the first few years of his career.   And he showed flashes as a special teams player, returning a kick in a playoff game.   And in his first real season as a starting WR, he made the pro bowl.   

Hill was a 2nd round pick (Jets didn't want to give up a 2nd round pick for Austin) and he's played and/or started over the first two years.   Maybe he's lucky that the Jets WRs stink, but he has shown nothing in his first two seasons that says he will do anything this season.   Austin at least showed he could provide something on Special Teams and in the return game.

The difference is Austin was an un-drafted player who pretty much was a special teams player the first few years of his career.   And he showed flashes as a special teams player, returning a kick in a playoff game.   And in his first real season as a starting WR, he made the pro bowl.   

Hill was a 2nd round pick (Jets didn't want to give up a 2nd round pick for Austin) and he's played and/or started over the first two years.   Maybe he's lucky that the Jets WRs stink, but he has shown nothing in his first two seasons that says he will do anything this season.   Austin at least showed he could provide something on Special Teams and in the return game.

Makes no difference when he was drafted. And saying he showed something in his first year as starter is taking the cart before the horse. He showed something and then he became a starter, not the other way around like with Hill.

Also, showing something or nothing on special teams has no bearing as to whether or not he'll be a productive WR at any time. Justin Miller was an all-pro kick returner. This has no bearing on his ability to play WR on offense (or CB on defense for that matter). That Austin was good at returning kickoffs meant nothing as to whether or not he'd be even a marginal #4 WR, let alone a star #1 WR. In 3 years he caught 18 passes for a team that loved to throw it. The reality is Hill showed more as a WR in game 1 of his clueless rookie season and again to start his 2nd season before getting knocked out - despite the handicap at who's throwing it - than Austin showed in his first three NFL seasons.  The 2nd round asking price was too high, which is why no one - not just the Jets; no one - offered up their 2nd to Dallas for Austin back then.

Hill was drafted way too early given how raw he was. That raw you take him in round 6 like the kid we just drafted, and if draft "experts" have him as a top 50 pick (or even a round 1 pick) then let someone else take him there. But my post was about guys who had shown nothing on offense suddenly showing quite a bit. Austin is an example of that, and there are dozens of others.

I don't exactly have high hopes for Hill, but he never should have been on the field except in a reserve role until he had a better grasp of the playbook. And a better grasp of footballs for that matter. Lots of guys would look like crap if they were out there before they were ready. Whether he has it in him to get much better is anyone's guess.

Come on. Clyde Gates is definitely a bigger heap than Hill. 

Hill was a 2nd round pick Gates a 4th rounder who has started a grand total of 4 games in his Career-Hill has started 19 with only 15 more receptions 

Archived