Jacksonville

Favorite_Toon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there ANYWHERE in Florida with good schools/good neighborhood/good beaches and home prices that make moving from NY worth it?

I have three kids, one of them a child w autism...a ten year old.

Just wondering if any of the experts here have am opinion .. I'm interested in hearing.

I watch "beach front bargain hunter" and one of episodes concentrated on the barrier beaches of Jacksonville ..I thought it looked pretty nice vacation spot

You have absolutely no idea what your talking abut..I been down there several times.. Your the guy that drives on 95 pass jacksonville on your way to Orlando and only see the horrible view.. meanwhile. .all the big banks moved there.. Southside is Beautiful.. town center is very very nice.. julington Creek..manderin..ponte vedra.. TPC sawgrass is there.. it gets a bad rap.. where do you live? No drugs in NY? Hahaha like crowded smelly trains.. being taxed to death.. paying 2 grand for an apt in someone's house or paying 8 grand in real estate tax a year? Jersey better? Armpit of America..

I've gone to FL too many times to count because 2 of my best buds live there.  Orlando sucks..  So do Tampa and Miami for that matter.  But it's all a matter of personal opinion.  If you like Beaches, walking into Alligators while searching for lost balls, and dodging Wild Boar on the back roads, then FL is fine.  Beaches are boring to me and I don't like playing golf in an oven half the year.

I wouldn't live in NYC either.  I don't need to be in the middle of 140,000 people every time I want to go to the store let alone pay 2500 a month for a closet.  I live in Rochester which has it's own downfalls but none are as bad as FL or NYC.  Both nice places to visit and have fun but to live?  Naw...  not for me.  I think I could do NC though.. 

But I'm just one guy..  my lady friend barely gives a sh-t what I think so I wouldn't put too much stock in my  opinion.

I've gone to FL too many times to count because 2 of my best buds live there.  Orlando sucks..  So do Tampa and Miami for that matter.  But it's all a matter of personal opinion.  If you like Beaches, walking into Alligators while searching for lost balls, and dodging Wild Boar on the back roads, then FL is fine.  Beaches are boring to me and I don't like playing golf in an oven half the year.

I wouldn't live in NYC either.  I don't need to be in the middle of 140,000 people every time I want to go to the store let alone pay 2500 a month for a closet.  I live in Rochester which has it's own downfalls but none are as bad as FL or NYC.  Both nice places to visit and have fun but to live?  Naw...  not for me.  I think I could do NC though.. 

But I'm just one guy..  my lady friend barely gives a sh-t what I think so I wouldn't put too much stock in my  opinion.

I used to feel similarly, but after what the Northeast and Midwest went through this past Winter, and given the probability that it's only going to continue as such, I really don't care anymore. Give me somewhere that's prepared for the upcoming water crises and without -20 degree weather for 3 months at a clip. Other than that I don't care, I'll take rifles in my local Chipotle in exchange for not freezing to death half the year.

I used to feel similarly, but after what the Northeast and Midwest went through this past Winter, and given the probability that it's only going to continue as such, I really don't care anymore. Give me somewhere that's prepared for the upcoming water crises and without -20 degree weather for 3 months at a clip.

Charlotte.  If I wasn't obligated to stay in Rochester I'd seriously consider it.  My girlfriend has quickly risen the ranks in the education field and could get a job in NC over the phone.  They LOVE people with masters in education from NY.  I guess it's much more difficult to get here.

And my company is nationwide..  I could get a job in NC no problem.  Actually they just asked us if anyone was willing to relocate in Phoenix as we're opening a division there.  I always thought that would be a great place to live but 100 degrees and sunny every day would get old quick.

Which brings me back to Charlotte..  Warm summers, cool winters, small city..  I might wind up there some day.

Been down there once. Too rednecky for my taste

One time I was driving from Tampa to Naples and stopped in some backwoods gas station straight out of deliverance.  When I walked in a couple guys that looked like the Moon Dogs stopped talking and gave me the hairy eyeball...  When I walked in the bathroom to take a leak there were confederate flags over the urinals - no sh-t...   Being hispanic, they likely considered me some form of a black guy so I just turned around and got the fu-k outta there. 

Is there ANYWHERE in Florida with good schools/good neighborhood/good beaches and home prices that make moving from NY worth it?

I have three kids, one of them a child w autism...a ten year old.

Just wondering if any of the experts here have am opinion .. I'm interested in hearing.

I watch "beach front bargain hunter" and one of episodes concentrated on the barrier beaches of Jacksonville ..I thought it looked pretty nice vacation spot

I have all of the above except for the beaches. I am in South Orlando. Moved down a year ago after retiring from SCPD and I love it.

I am wondering how many fans are from Jacksonville Florida. I am moving down there from Brooklyn in a month and wonder of there are any Jets fan clubs down there? Or do I have to start my own lol

Why would you leave Besonhurst?

I used to feel similarly, but after what the Northeast and Midwest went through this past Winter, and given the probability that it's only going to continue as such, I really don't care anymore. Give me somewhere that's prepared for the upcoming water crises and without -20 degree weather for 3 months at a clip. Other than that I don't care, I'll take rifles in my local Chipotle in exchange for not freezing to death half the year.

If I was starting out again, I'd be looking to leave the country. Plenty of warm places with their own water and food supplies outside our borders. I'd much rather live in the south of France than the American south. I encourage my kids to go. I'd much rather my grandkids be born someplace where the law gives mothers six or twelve months of paid maternity leave, as opposed to a place where the hospital has to kick you out in two days and you have to return to work when your vacation time runs out. And that would be most of the industrialized world.

I'm starting my retirement tour next winter. I'm gonna find a new country to live in. Can't wait!

I was looking at best countries to live in maybe down the road when i ready to hang my boots. USA and Canada happened to be on every list. Other than that Norway, Finland, Sweden, Austria et al seemed to make the list. The order changed from one list to another. A lot of cold countries. I want a warm spot.

I have made a huge move in my life once. But then i was younger and had hopes. Now i have come upon the realization, that no place can be perfect. So put your priorities in order and see what place meets most of the criteria. A beach in Miami would be an ideal place for me. Countries like Argentina and Brazil always fascinated me. But given the socio political situation I would rather avoid it.

If I was starting out again, I'd be looking to leave the country. Plenty of warm places with their own water and food supplies outside our borders. I'd much rather live in the south of France than the American south. I encourage my kids to go. I'd much rather my grandkids be born someplace where the law gives mothers six or twelve months of paid maternity leave, as opposed to a place where the hospital has to kick you out in two days and you have to return to work when your vacation time runs out. And that would be most of the industrialized world.

I'm starting my retirement tour next winter. I'm gonna find a new country to live in. Can't wait!

I was looking at best countries to live in maybe down the road when i ready to hang my boots. USA and Canada happened to be on every list. Other than that Norway, Finland, Sweden, Austria et al seemed to make the list. The order changed from one list to another. A lot of cold countries. I want a warm spot.

I have made a huge move in my life once. But then i was younger and had hopes. Now i have come upon the realization, that no place can be perfect. So put your priorities in order and see what place meets most of the criteria. A beach in Miami would be an ideal place for me. Countries like Argentina and Brazil always fascinated me. But given the socio political situation I would rather avoid it.

There are definitely other parts of the world I'd consider in the long term, but my profession demands being located in urban American regions for the time being. The Pacific Northwest and the Bay Area are probably in the cards if a move back to New York doesn't happen, I know Mrs. RJF has her fingers crossed for the former, and to be honest (sarcasm from earlier aside) I do as well.

Why would you leave Besonhurst?

The neighborhood changed.. My job has a office there in jax.. Ny salary plus raise.. with a lower cost of living and no snow... Pizza and bagels not enough to keep me here.. this city is such a tax burden... state local taxes.. plus Fed.. almost taxed 43 percent..

The neighborhood changed.. My job has a office there in jax.. Ny salary plus raise.. with a lower cost of living and no snow... Pizza and bagels not enough to keep me here.. this city is such a tax burden... state local taxes.. plus Fed.. almost taxed 43 percent..

I feel like you haven't thought this through, lol.  JK -- good luck with the move. Any time you can keep your NY Salary and move somewhere else, you are in good shape.  Good luck.

Does the new place have internet? :)

Countries like Argentina and Brazil always fascinated me. But given the socio political situation I would rather avoid it.

You should give Uruguay a look. Stable government. It's own food and water (the country sits atop an aquifer fully its size). And it's right there between those two countries. Its Punta del Este beach is one of the major travel destinies for Brazil and Argentina. Montevideo is a beautiful small city, and if you want the big city, Buenos Aires is a ferry ride away. If you find someplace between the city and beach, it's very affordable. It's definitely a stop on my upcoming retirement tour.

I've lived in Florida for a dozen years and have played literally hundreds of rounds of golf. I've never once walked into an alligator. 

You live in ******* Canada, 

Guys, lets look at this from a political and stability perspective:

France - I would be *very* weary of moving to France. They have a ridiculous tax burden. Additionally, they will be the next "Greece" in that they have runaway expenditures and not enough tax revenues to cover their welfare state. This place is a candidate to be the next financial horror show on a country scale.

PIIGS - Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain, these countries are in so much trouble economically that the Europeans avoid investing there. Ireland is slowly rebuilding but the other countries are stuck in neutral. Huge Tax burden and lots of unemployment, these countries are prime candidates for rioting because of the lack of employment prospects for the under 30 crowd.

BRIC - Brazil, Russia, India and China, these countries were once considered to be the next big thing. Brazil has huge income disparity issues that are causing civil strife throughout the country, Russia has a bad international policy and the counry is reverting to its Soviet tendencies, India has poor hygiene infrastructure (one of a handful of countries still exhibiting bubonic plague and leprosy) and China has huge issues with air quality and environment controls (Beijing has days where you can't see your hand in fron of your face due to pollution).

Places to Consider -

Costa Rica - Beautiful Weather, huge american Ex-pat community and they are relatively stable from a government perspective.

Ecuador -  Look to the city of Cuenca for an ideal climate and a growing american Ex-pat community. Reasonable cost of living and low strife.

Panama - Big U.S. Ex-pat community and great cost of living.

South Africa - Certain areas of SA are havens for the retired and features a stable government.

Uruguay - Legal weed, reasonable cost of living, think of it as Europe lite.

Australia - Stable government and as much beach as you want. Higher cost of living but you get better benefits.

LL

France wouldn’t be a bad choice, one of the best welfare system and good statutory health care. Problem is they speak no English, because they totally refuse to. Living at the French border in Germany I’m remembering a few years ago when I tried to get me some food at Mc Donald’s, they could just barely understand what a cheeseburger is and I had to show them two fingers to make them understand what ‘two’ means (have to say I speak not a single word French, so English was my first choice). I can recommend you Germany. Excellent welfare system like in France, good economy, mothers get the chance to take 1-2 years off to raise their children (part of it for full payment), 30 days off work per year,  it’s pretty save in the most parts, you’ll have a wide range of REALLY good beers from all over the country, the bars are open the whole night,  many cultural things to visit and you are in range to take a flight and visit all the great cities like Paris, Rome, Barcelona, etc. in about 1-2 hours

Downside is (if you still have to go to work) you will have to work long, there are taxes on and for everything and I mean EVERYTHING, the gas prices are sky high and everything else is pretty expensive and the people aren’t as nice as in the US, which is my opinion.

And the biggest downside: nobody watches Football or knows a thing about it, same goes for Baseball or any other US sport, that’s depressing lol

Funny how some people want out of the US while I would like to badly get in and live there

Good thing no politics are allowed on these forums :)

France wouldn’t be a bad choice, one of the best welfare system and good statutory health care. Problem is they speak no English, because they totally refuse to. Living at the French border in Germany I’m remembering a few years ago when I tried to get me some food at Mc Donald’s, they could just barely understand what a cheeseburger is and I had to show them two fingers to make them understand what ‘two’ means (have to say I speak not a single word French, so English was my first choice). I can recommend you Germany. Excellent welfare system like in France, good economy, mothers get the chance to take 1-2 years off to raise their children (part of it for full payment), 30 days off work per year,  it’s pretty save in the most parts, you’ll have a wide range of REALLY good beers from all over the country, the bars are open the whole night,  many cultural things to visit and you are in range to take a flight and visit all the great cities like Paris, Rome, Barcelona, etc. in about 1-2 hours

Downside is (if you still have to go to work) you will have to work long, there are taxes on and for everything and I mean EVERYTHING, the gas prices are sky high and everything else is pretty expensive and the people aren’t as nice as in the US, which is my opinion.

And the biggest downside: nobody watches Football or knows a thing about it, same goes for Baseball or any other US sport, that’s depressing lol

Funny how some people want out of the US while I would like to badly get in and live there

Germany would be much higher on my list of recommendations to my kids if they weren't Jewish. Not sure how that works nowadays. My daughter took four years of French in high school, making that a more attractive option for her. She did birthright in Israel, and didn't want to leave. She's giving serious thought to going back for an internship program.

I've lived in Florida for a dozen years and have played literally hundreds of rounds of golf. I've never once walked into an alligator. 

You live in ******* Canada,

BBQ sauce is gator repellant.

When I lived in Florida, I was surprised if I didn't see a gator.

BBQ sauce is gator repellant.

When I lived in Florida, I was surprised if I didn't see a gator.

Seriously? I've only seen three the entire time I've lived here and two of those were in ponds next to places I worked where it would be impossible for the gator to get at people. I've seen one at a golf course but he was on the other side of the pond next to a wooded area. You're literally more in danger of drying from a dog bite than you are from an alligator attack. 

If you're going to make the argument that all of Rochester isn't a snow covered crack den, you should at least be consistent and acknowledge that all of New York isn't Times Square.

If wife and I go anywhere significant, it'd probably be Dallas.  More likely, we migrate to the burbs in a couple years.

Grass is always greener...

If you're a single guy, you should go to Iceland.

You could be the worst looking guy there, but the fact that you're not 2nd cousins with every platinum blonde on the island makes you very desirable.

Germany would be much higher on my list of recommendations to my kids if they weren't Jewish. Not sure how that works nowadays. My daughter took four years of French in high school, making that a more attractive option for her. She did birthright in Israel, and didn't want to leave. She's giving serious thought to going back for an internship program.

Nobody wants to leave birthright.  Sadly, real life isn't a free bus tour with no responsibility, cheap booze, schwarma, beach days, and a non-stop orgy.

Archived