Coples drops another 15, says he's faster.

SenorGato

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2014/05/27/quinton-coples-qa-slimmer-faster-ready-go/

Will you play at outside linebacker this year exclusively or some combination with defensive end?

It can be anything. Basically a hybrid. I will be anywhere from zero [lined up over center] to linebacker. I can be placed anywhere. Safety, anything (laughing). I’ll just let you see it.

You spent last offseason thinking you would be returning to the defensive line, then come workouts and minicamp and suddenly, you’re playing standing up. How has an offseason knowing your role helped, especially as you continue to transition to outside linebacker?

Tremendously. That’s what I’ve been working on, being an outside linebacker. [i am] working on my drops, working on my coverage. I dropped 15 pounds. I’m faster too. Anytime you lose weight, you get faster. I think I’m in better shape for that role, for all the versatility it asks for.

What was the biggest part of that position change? You did play some outside linebacker at North Carolina, but that was in a 4-3 so the responsibilities are different.

Yeah, it was different than here — reading offensive personnel, seeing who I have. Then when the motion goes, my zone responsibilities — if there’s an exchange. It was a lot. It was different than what I did in my rookie year. Nothing physical about it was tough, just responsibility, learning who to cover, following motion, those sorts of things. But there was nothing they asked me to do that I couldn’t do. It is just learning what I need to do. I feel I understand it better this year.

Last season, head coach Rex Ryan called you out a bit, in particular about your weight room ethic. Is that something you took to heart?

Yeah, definitely. Anytime a coach says that about you, you have to step up and make it happen. That’s what I’m doing this year. I want to be known as one of those guys who takes care of his business in the weight room, on the practice field and then on gameday. That’s who I want to be, and that is something I focused on this offseason — being that type of a player and leader.

So many breakout candidates on this team...-15 takes him down to 265 or so IIRC, about prototypical size for an OLB in system. 

http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2014/05/27/quinton-coples-qa-slimmer-faster-ready-go/

So many breakout candidates on this team...-15 takes him down to 265 or so IIRC, about prototypical size for an OLB in system. 

I think he was bigger than 280, whatever, Q's a massive dude. Sounds like he's in better shape period. Either way his strength is on the edge up front.

All the young guys on the D have room for improvement

Front Seven Madness on the way. It can only help the DB's too.

Now if he can only stop playing like sh*t.

His occasional bursts during the season tell you exactly what he was touted as coming out of college. He's a lazy player who once smacked in the face disappears. Losing all the weight in the world wont change that. I still feel he would have developed much better on the inside DL because he would have had no choice but to engage on every down or risk getting the sh*t knocked out of him. He could have easily been over 300 pounds by now and put on the natural weight that fits his frame and size. Moving him to OLB making him one dimentional was a dumb move.

His occasional bursts during the season tell you exactly what he was touted as coming out of college. He's a lazy player who once smacked in the face disappears. Losing all the weight in the world wont change that. I still feel he would have developed much better on the inside DL because he would have had no choice but to engage on every down or risk getting the sh*t knocked out of him. He could have easily been over 300 pounds by now and put on the natural weight that fits his frame and size. Moving him to OLB making him one dimentional was a dumb move.

This-o-matic.

There really are. Lots of young guys who came on at the end of the year, and Coples was definitely one of them. If Pryor and/or Amaro can play right out of the gate, the team could really be in good shape.

Or... somehow I manage to remain optimistic despite the lessons of history. Lol.

There really are. Lots of young guys who came on at the end of the year, and Coples was definitely one of them. If Pryor and/or Amaro can play right out of the gate, the team could really be in good shape.

Or... somehow I manage to remain optimistic despite the lessons of history. Lol.

Lol curse of jet fans we never learn

Coples is actually lower on the list of breakout guys for me too...I'm expecting massive things from DeMario Davis this year. The way I'm imagining this D, probably wrong, lots of plays are going to be funneled his way. As far as Coples - he probably actually is too big for OLB but I'm not tracking how he's used. If he's mostly playing run contain and rushing the passer then OLB is just a title for whiners to whine about. If he's consistently dropped back into coverage and actually asked to turn and run with some of these guys...well that might hurt. The idea that moving him to OLB makes him more one dimensional is laughable THO...think I saw that earlier.  

I'm optimistic. There's plenty of reason to be. Despite their hardest efforts to convince everyone otherwise, the foozeball scientists were wrong last year about nearly everything. This year they're not even bothering, or putting in significantly less effort. I call that progress! **** history! 

lol

That's Rex Ryan for you in a nutshell. Square peg, round hole? Just smash it in there, it'll work just fine.

Coples is actually lower on the list of breakout guys for me too...I'm expecting massive things from DeMario Davis this year. The way I'm imagining this D, probably wrong, lots of plays are going to be funneled his way. As far as Coples - he probably actually is too big for OLB but I'm not tracking how he's used. If he's mostly playing run contain and rushing the passer then OLB is just a title for whiners to whine about. If he's consistently dropped back into coverage and actually asked to turn and run with some of these guys...well that might hurt. The idea that moving him to OLB makes him more one dimensional is laughable THO...think I saw that earlier.  

I'm optimistic. There's plenty of reason to be. Despite their hardest efforts to convince everyone otherwise, the foozeball scientists were wrong last year about nearly everything. This year they're not even bothering, or putting in significantly less effort. I call that progress! **** history!

Making him one dimentional is laughable ??? Do you even understand this game ?? Christ

Do you see Coples all over the field making tackles ? NO

Do you see him EVER in coverage ? NO

He was put in that position to Rush the passer he has no other skills at the position because hes never played the damn position before.

Therefore he IS one Dimentional and hes not even good at that. So you keep hoping and praying Coples will turn into this pass rushing monster then at the end of next year you can revist this thread and see who will be LOLing

Maybe next time you can give a good reason why you disagree with him being one dimentional rather than just saying its laughable. Your not that well revered around here to make one word comments like laughable and expect everyone to just agree with no explanation. To be honest at this stage the guy is ZERO Dimentional because he really does not do anything consistently good and he has a terrible Motor which is one of the best traits a Passrusher can have

Making him one dimentional is laughable ??? Do you even understand this game ?? Christ

What was actually written:

The idea that moving him to OLB makes him more one dimensional is laughable

No one is given that role to try and make them one dimensional. The idea behind playing LB is that he isn't one dimensional. He's done exactly what he would do as a DL in this OLB position - play the run and rush the passer. You and others have your panties all bunched up over a title. If he bombs in coverage during TC and preseason we'll probably see Rex hassle him a little more publicly while reducing his LB duties. 

The key is to remain optimistic for the future while still expecting little for the present. It's the only healthy way to be a Jets fan.

If you're interested I can teach you how.

Archived