Five players to watch in OTA's

F.Chowds

Players not named Geno Smith with the most on the line in the New York Jets' OTA's, which continue Wednesday (open to the media): 

1. Stephen Hill, wide receiver: If his balky knee cooperates, Hill needs to reinvent himself this spring and summer, validating the first-round grade he received from the Jets as a talented but unpolished wideout who came out of Georgia Tech in 2012. If all goes well, he could start opposite Eric Decker. If he remains an enigma, he could jeopardize his roster spot. 

2. Jacoby Ford, wide receiver: Overshadowed by Decker and the three rookies at receiver, Ford has quietly impressed the coaching staff. People forget he was an ascending player for the Oakland Raiders in 2010 -- until injuries hit. If healthy, Ford could be a factor at receiver, not to mention a scary kickoff returner -- or just a tease. 

3. Kyle Wilson, cornerback: After four years, the Jets know what the former first-round pick can do, but it'll be interesting to see if they can find anyone to do it better. They imported competition in the slot. If a newcomer jumps out (perhaps Johnny Patrick or rookieDexter McDougle), Wilson -- always a notch below expectations -- could be expendable in the preseason. 

4. Zach Sudfeld, tight end: A late arrival last season after being dropped by the New England Patriots, Sudfeld flashed potential as a receiver in limited action. The coaches like his upside, but they still drafted Jace Amaro in the second round. It's time to turn upside into production. 

5. Quinton Coples, outside linebacker: These next few weeks aren't make or break for the former first-round pick, but Coples can establish a positive tone for the season by making big strides. This is his third season, and he acknowledged recently it's time to be more productive and assertive. We already know how Joe Klecko feels about him.

I would swap kyle Wilson for anyone playing OG... I am interested to see how that position is coming along....

When I first read this, I thought you meant you would trade Wilson for an OG and I was confused.  I would like to know how Dozier is doing and if WInters has improved.  I"m not even sure that Colon will be ready to return from his injury.  

When I first read this, I thought you meant you would trade Wilson for an OG and I was confused.  I would like to know how Dozier is doing and if WInters has improved.  I"m not even sure that Colon will be ready to return from his injury.  

Still not sold on Winters either - sure hope there's a diamond in the rough we have stashed somewhere....

3) Wilson is not expendable.  Even if on of the new players "jumps", have you ever heard of the concept of depth?

Right. Will be playing for a contract, wherever he ends up. . It'll be the best they ever get out him. Adds good depth

I am glad you realized I meant on the list....  I thnk that is a very important position for the team.  When the ground and pound was working the Jets had very good if not great guard play.  If Geno or Michael are going to be successful the line is going to have to give them protection. The OG play must improve.  

I hear Wilson has taken to wearing his helmet backward so I wouldn't be able to post that he NEVER turns his head to find the ball. He's a bust, and Coples is under fire, so this might be his last time around the block. He was a head scratcher of a draft pick from the get-go anyway. DE from North Carolina who it was said took plays off...say it ain't so!!! If Klecko calls you out you better respond...or run.

I hear Wilson has taken to wearing his helmet backward so I wouldn't be able to post that he NEVER turns his head to find the ball. He's a bust, and Coples is under fire, so this might be his last time around the block. He was a head scratcher of a draft pick from the get-go anyway. DE from North Carolina who it was said took plays off...say it ain't so!!! If Klecko calls you out you better respond...or run.

The Giants took one in the second that skipped the wonderlic, fought with people during pre-draft interviews and had been suspended for partying with an agent in Miami and LA.

Archived