Mehta: Vick Smart Enough to Know He's not the Starter, Despite Company Competition Line

flgreen

Apart from the snoozefest of an article, it is amazing to me that a professional (allegedly) journalist doesn't know that the correct saying is "TOE" the party line, not "TOW" the party line".

HEY BUDDY!

Who the F told you that Manish was a professional?!?!

Good for Vick, not playing the patsy. When he believes he'll have a real shot to be the QB, he'll start calling it an open competition. Always amusing to listen to Rex talk about his QB position.

The whole thing is stupid. We're not paying Vick like a backup and Geno had a bad rookie year, and he sincerely believes in handing the job to the latter. The situation screams of a dude that's learned jack sh*t from a completely inept history in handling quarterbacks.

The whole thing is stupid. We're not paying Vick like a backup and Geno had a bad rookie year, and he sincerely believes in handing the job to the latter. The situation screams of a dude that's learned jack sh*t from a completely inept history in handling quarterbacks.

You think this is some sort of unilateral decision by Rex? You don't think John Idzik is playing a major role in how the QB job plays out? Seems pretty obvious that the best case scenario for the team would be for Geno to emerge as a quality starter. If he doesn't, Idzik has to go back to next year's draft to look for another one. That's not what he wants to do. Rex has said before that the QB decision will be a group decision - which was probably a diplomatic way of saying he's going with the guy his boss wants. In the end I suspect they'll be leaning heavily on Mornhinweg, who's familiar with both QBs, to make the final call. But the organization wants Geno to win it.

And of course, money aside, Vick just isn't that good. That's why he signed with a team who told him that he'd be backing up Geno Smith. That's the best offer he got.

Jet fans have been wondering about this point since the Vick signing. Before Sanchez got hurt the word on the street was that Sanchez would most likely be the week 1 starter. Rex wanting to win the Snoopy bowl kinda messed that one up. Also remember that Idzik comes from the front office that moved forward on letting a 3rd round rookie start week 1 over Matt Flynn who they had just gave I believe a 25 million dollar contract to. There wasn't even the conversation of Russell being part of some competition for the starting job when he was drafted because the Seahawks thought they had their starter already. When OTA's, training camp and the preseason came about they seen what they had, and made at the time a generally very risky, unpopular decision to go with a 3rd round rookie that every team passed on over a QB that they just gave pretty sizable contract to. 

John Idzik will put the best players on the field, especially at QB. Yes he drafted Geno, but he also signed Vick and there's no reason to force the issue with Geno if he's not better than Vick. Putting the best players on the field will help him keep his job, not keeping the better player on the bench simply to make it look like his draft pick is working out. I dont get the indication that Idzik has that big of an ego. He spent a 2nd rounder worth 4 years 5 million dollars on Geno. Vick is getting paid as much this year as Geno is getting in his entire contract. So Geno is definitely expendable if need be. Idzik is not holding himself hostage to a 2nd round pick, 5 million dollars over 4 years and an over sense of pride. 

If Vick is the better QB he will be the week 1 starter period....but only "if" he's better. 

I don't think that was totally why Sanchez was in there but I really don't know.  My take on it was always that Geno was having a terrible game, Rex still liked Sanchez, and wanted to put him in there to win the game and show this great contrast between the two. Therefore the pressure to start Geno would be gone. Sanchez blamed Idzik for a competition he felt was beneath him (since he was just so great) so he went off on him after his shoulder got messed up.

Snoopy Trophy? I'm sure he'd like to win it every year. The whole team - on both sides - probably enjoys this minor cross-town bragging right, even if it only lasts a few days. Intramural teams also like winning and it's ultimately just as meaningless.  But I think his primary goal was to show that Sanchez was the obvious choice to start the season and wanted everyone to see it first-hand. He was entering a contract year with a lousy roster and the last thing he probably wanted was starting a raw, rookie QB for 16 games.

But I could be wrong. It could have been 100% about the Snoopy Trophy.  But if that was the case, I think Sanchez would have gone off on Rex, not Idzik.

He was entering a contract year with a lousy roster and the last thing he probably wanted was starting a raw, rookie QB for 16 games.

Second last thing. If Rex had wanted Sanchez to win the competition he would have kept him off the field as much as possible because he's ******* terrible and nothing good was going to come of it. He hit the jackpot because Sanchez wound up getting hurt but in reality I think the expectation was simply that he go out there and play like sh*t against backups.

I think we're all missing the fact that Rex will have as much say in who plays QB for his team as the guy slinging hot dogs in Section 310. Because that's how head coaches usually operate on NFL teams.

Second last thing. If Rex had wanted Sanchez to win the competition he would have kept him off the field as much as possible because he's ******* terrible and nothing good was going to come of it. He hit the jackpot because Sanchez wound up getting hurt but in reality I think the expectation was simply that he go out there and play like sh*t against backups.

Rex liked - and believed in - Sanchez far more than you, I, or others with eyes. I think he viewed him in there vs 3rd stringers to be a slam dunk for Sanchez to seal the competition and get Idzik of his back to start Geno unless Sanchez blows him away. This was to be the blow away moment. JMO.

Hasselbeck got the same money backing up Luck last season.

This whole Vick and Rex thing is whatever, but the fact is if Geno sucks again then Rex will be looking to Vick to probably save his job. I don't think he can do it. I don't think any of them are back next season.

If there's one thing we need to accept, it's that Rex will be here until he decides to leave.

You think this is some sort of unilateral decision by Rex? You don't think John Idzik is playing a major role in how the QB job plays out? Seems pretty obvious that the best case scenario for the team would be for Geno to emerge as a quality starter. If he doesn't, Idzik has to go back to next year's draft to look for another one. That's not what he wants to do. Rex has said before that the QB decision will be a group decision - which was probably a diplomatic way of saying he's going with the guy his boss wants. In the end I suspect they'll be leaning heavily on Mornhinweg, who's familiar with both QBs, to make the final call. But the organization wants Geno to win it.

And of course, money aside, Vick just isn't that good. That's why he signed with a team who told him that he'd be backing up Geno Smith. That's the best offer he got.

I'll be honest, I don't know what I think. I have absolutely no idea how to assess anything with Woody owning this team. I think Idzik has a decent handling on things, but Rex and Woody are legitimately insane and dumb and those two attributes always make things complicated.

I'll be honest, I don't know what I think. I have absolutely no idea how to assess anything with Woody owning this team. I think Idzik has a decent handling on things, but Rex and Woody are legitimately insane and dumb and those two attributes always make things complicated.

The best you can hope for is that Idzik plays the 'because I'm the grownup and I said so' card on Woody and he's stumped long enough to give Idzik time to build a team.

I still find it hard to believe the Jets are going to pay Mike Vick 5 million dollars to hold a clipboard. He's like the 4th highest paid player on the whole team. (Decker is 1, Breno is 3, Dimitri Patterson is 10, just talking current year spend not cap hit). 

Geno should be just about guaranteed to improve upon last year, how much of course is the great question.  Vick was never particularly good to begin with and is only getting worse, he has been for years now.  The bottom line is there really is no upside to committing to Vick as the starter unless you have some sort of ridiculous delusions that he gives the Jets a chance to be legit contenders (never going to happen).  That's not even getting into the fact that Vick would be certain to get hurt at some point along the way.

Sure, if Vick turns out to look worlds better than Geno throughout the offseason then that changes everything, but if they look anywhere even remotely close to one another over these next few months, it's going to be Geno's job without any question, as that certainly provides far more potential long-term benefit.  How much each of them are getting paid wouldn't possibly mean less at that point.  Vick's contract is based on only one thing: that's how much it costs to get a veteran at the position, and not one who's 40-something or been out of the league for 3 years.  I mean hell, even Sanchez's contract with the Eagles could be worth as much as over $4 million if he reaches his incentives (not that any of us expect that as a realistic possibility, but just saying).

I still find it hard to believe the Jets are going to pay Mike Vick 5 million dollars to hold a clipboard. He's like the 4th highest paid player on the whole team. (Decker is 1, Breno is 3, Dimitri Patterson is 10, just talking current year spend not cap hit).

Remember that one year when the Seahawks started Matt Flynn over Russell Wilson because he was getting paid more?

That was awesome!

what are the rules for back up QB's coming in the game ?  can vick have a package ?

that's the easiest way for the jets to screw this up. play them both and have a sh*t storm controversy

Remember that one year when the Seahawks started Matt Flynn over Russell Wilson because he was getting paid more?

That was awesome!

Russell Wilson won that job and everyone knew it. If Geno plays like RW fair enough.

If Geno plays terrible and they hand him the job cause they hope it's the right move, that's a worry. 

How much each of them are getting paid wouldn't possibly mean less at that point.  

If that statement was true, why did Idzik spend the offseason lowballing everyone, and the Jets still among the league leaders in cap room (even with the Sanchez and Holmes dead money) 

If that statement was true, why did Idzik spend the offseason lowballing everyone, and the Jets still among the league leaders in cap room (even with the Sanchez and Holmes dead money) 

Ah yes, nothing quite beats the classic bit post featuring a quote that is 95% deleted out in order to attempt to argue against a point that was never made.

It's worth mentioning that Vick was one of the guys they supposedly lowballed, so that doesn't do much to help your original point.  Plus, the other players you brought up completely contradict your own argument, considering they weren't even kept on the roster despite their cap hit.  But yeah, you feel free to carry on endlessly arguing with yourself, ya nutjob.

It's worth mentioning that Vick was one of the guys they supposedly lowballed, so that doesn't do much to help your original point.  

yeah the guys that are here now accepted the low ball offer. the others (for example all the CBs) who went to other teams didn't accept the low ball offer. they all got lowballed. And still Decker is the team's highest paid player.

Vick is also on that list, i can't see this Jets team "wasting" that money unless Geno is amazing. Like Russell Wilson as sourceworx mentioned. 

Pretty simple really. Vick is the better QB as of today, but Vick has no potential to be the team's future as a 34 year-old, injury prone player. If he starts and they get to the playoffs, who is going to be the QB next year? (Back to the draft with a late pick? Geno?) If Geno starts and they get to the playoffs or just plays well, continuing to grow, the question is answered. If Geno fails, it's an early pick for his replacement. Hard to envision a scenario where Geno doesn't start outside of injury.

Vick has no potential to be the team's future as a 34 year-old, injury prone player. If he starts and they get to the playoffs, who is going to be the QB next year?  

Tom Brady is 36, talking about playing thru 2016. Manning is already 38.

Obviously Vick isn't Brady but a late career Vinny T/Kurt Warner type swan song isn't unthinkable. They have wonderful drugs these days. 

Archived