Dolphins fire scout for working from home to care for terminally ill wife

Klecko73isGod

If you want to fire the guy, then fire the guy, but it is despicable to go and monkey around with the health insurance plan to single out one particular affliction to get someone to quit. There are quite a few medical conditions that have high priced treatments, it is damning that they only singled out that one that his wife has. Keep in mind, this is a company that has employees making tens of millions of dollars a year. You mean to tell me with all of the money being spent by the organization, deciding to play with the insurance plan and cut out coverage for one particular disease is a reasonable and prudent substantial cost cutting move? The change in premium cost to them is probably less than they spend in gatorade for the year, lol.

They knew that by playing this game to get some guy to quit, they were playing with someone's life. I am as against Obamacare as anyone and it has hit me and my small business insurance and forced me to pay more for less coverage, but this is despicable.

Right, which why it doesn't seem that plausible to me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liar

First off, I'd like to see where the Jets actually did anything like this for you to base your opinion on. 

Secondly, the Cleveland Browns have long been the biggest joke in the NFL, despite ESPN's and PFT's best efforts to make the Jets that team. 

Thirdly, shut up poopy head. 

First off, I'd like to see where the Jets actually did anything like this for you to base your opinion on.

Secondly, the Cleveland Browns have long been the biggest joke in the NFL, despite ESPN's and PFT's best efforts to make the Jets that team.

Thirdly, shut up poopy head.

You'd defend the Jets if they sacrificed children to try to win the SB.

It's neck and neck.

Lol

Even though the Jets went through a complete front office change, they kept Dick Steinberg as general manager because he had cancer.  He even appeared at press conferences as the general manager, even though he likely had little input into what was being decided.  He stayed as GM until he  died of the disease.

Quite a difference between Jets and Dolphins there.

One more thing-Florida is one of the three most important states for football talent.  California and Texas are the others.  You might think the guy was useless working at home, but if all it means that he can't travel, there is talent galore in the Sunshine State that he could drive to.  He definitely could be useful to the scouting department despite having to go home at night.  If he was in Ohio or someplace it might be a different story.

Don't be ridiculous, I'm pretty sure we'd all defend them for sacrificing children if they won the Super Bowl. 

Umm, I would sacrifice a child on my 6ft long grill at the tailgate before every game this season if it got us a superbowl.

One more thing-Florida is one of the three most important states for football talent.  California and Texas are the others.  You might think the guy was useless working at home, but if all it means that he can't travel, there is talent galore in the Sunshine State that he could drive to.  He definitely could be useful to the scouting department despite having to go home at night.  If he was in Ohio or someplace it might be a different story.

Well he might be in the right area but if his scouting sucked, that wouldn't matter.  No way to really know.  Unless he has a Twitter, then we can ask him lol.

Even though the Jets went through a complete front office change, they kept Dick Steinberg as general manager because he had cancer.  He even appeared at press conferences as the general manager, even though he likely had little input into what was being decided.  He stayed as GM until he  died of the disease.

Quite a difference between Jets and Dolphins there.

Being Jets GM never ends well does it?

At will employees can be let go at any time.

My point is IF they went through their medical expenses and removed the drug that his wife needs as some sort of retribution -- then they have a whole world of hurt coming their way.

That is not 100% true. Almost all companies have a termination procedure that they create to avoid discrimination lawsuits. Once a procedure is in place, the company can no longer selectively invoke at will. And even if they have no policy, they are still not allowed to fire people for discriminatory reasons and many other exceptions, such as being fired for refusing to do something dangerous, unethical or illegal. They will settle.

If the Dolphins were stupid enough to specifically exclude that drug intentionally, I would think they could be liable for more than civil liability. It could easily be argued that it is depraved indifference.

Archived