Mornhinweg: Stephen Hill has Looked Just Excellent So Far

flgreen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all knew he would be a project. Why do people bash someone that's 23 years old and didn't instantly become a superstar the second he got into the league at 21 years old?

Same thing with Geno. He didn't become Russel Wilson overnight his first year so let's move on immediately? Give the players a chance to succeed. Stop running them all out of town before their careers even get going.

None of us are asking Hill to be a superstar. We want him to be at least a comptent receiver, which he pretty muc doesn't show. We want to see that he runs smooth routes, has quick sudden breaks in his routes, catches the ball with strong hands, comes back to the ball aggresively, and can win the occassional jump ball.

He has shown little to no development in all this skills, and that is why people have lost patience. His speed is completely neutralized by the fact that he is predictable and hesitant. It's not that he didnt become Randy Moss or Megatron.

As for Geno it's hard to judge him based on last year. We all knew that he wasn't ready for the NFL in his rookie year but he got thrown into the fire. I'm encouraged by the end of last season and hope it carries over. I am expecting more things out of Geno than Hill

None of us are asking Hill to be a superstar. We want him to be at least a comptent receiver, which he pretty muc doesn't show. We want to see that he runs smooth routes, has quick sudden breaks in his routes, catches the ball with strong hands, comes back to the ball aggresively, and can win the occassional jump ball.

He has shown little to no development in all this skills, and that is why people have lost patience. His speed is completely neutralized by the fact that he is predictable and hesitant. It's not that he didnt become Randy Moss or Megatron.

As for Geno it's hard to judge him based on last year. We all knew that he wasn't ready for the NFL in his rookie year but he got thrown into the fire. I'm encouraged by the end of last season and hope it carries over. I am expecting more things out of Geno than Hill

The guy has had zero help. He was over-drafted as a project. His offensive coordinator in his rookie season was the completely over-matched Tony Sporano, a one-year OC who will never rise above the level of OL coach in the NFL again. His QB is Mark Sanchez. Year two, he's learning a new system, and his QB is the equally bad Geno Smith. Plus, he's had some injury issues. 

This is his make or break year. Second year in Mornhinweg's system, and (hopefully) a new and improved Geno picking up where he left off last year. I honestly believe he's the front-runner to start opposite Decker. If he can't secure that spot, he'll be in real danger of losing his roster spot. He does still have all the physical tools, and he should be in a much better place mentally, so that hesitancy should be gone. It's up to him. There are just too many WRs on the roster for him to skate thru, though, especially given the fact that Idzik isn't the guy who spent a second round pick on him. 

The guy has had zero help. He was over-drafted as a project. His offensive coordinator in his rookie season was the completely over-matched Tony Sporano, a one-year OC who will never rise above the level of OL coach in the NFL again. His QB is Mark Sanchez. Year two, he's learning a new system, and his QB is the equally bad Geno Smith. Plus, he's had some injury issues. 

This is his make or break year. Second year in Mornhinweg's system, and (hopefully) a new and improved Geno picking up where he left off last year. I honestly believe he's the front-runner to start opposite Decker. If he can't secure that spot, he'll be in real danger of losing his roster spot. He does still have all the physical tools, and he should be in a much better place mentally, so that hesitancy should be gone. It's up to him. There are just too many WRs on the roster for him to skate thru, though, especially given the fact that Idzik isn't the guy who spent a second round pick on him. 

LOL you could have said the same about Sanchez

WOW, THATS A VERY BOLD PREDICTION!

:rl:

Not for nothing but has Hill done anything to deserve a bold prediction be made in his favor?

The guy is the prototype big, fast WR. I think his biggest problem has been the fact that he's been a pussy. He doesn't fight for the ball. If this was due to his injuries then maybe being healthy will make him bolder and more willing to battle physically with DBs. 

I sure hope so. He may look great in an unpadded practice where he knows he won't get hit. I'll reserve judgement until I see him fight for a ball in the air and take it away from someone for once. 

He was drafted to be a #1 WR that needed to be double-teamed, with size/speed that can't be taught.  Also he was a willing and capable blocker (in contrast to Holmes).  He was also drafted as a project (Tannenbaum leaving the team with no other credible options pushed him into a role he was clearly unready for), and was therefore over-drafted.  Ideally he'd have been subbed in & out with a limited list of plays that he was able to digest. Also ideally he'd have been healthy.

I like HIll.  He was a bad pick for a trade up in the 2nd but I don't think he was ill suited to do what they wanted when they drafted him.  I'm not sure what the Sparano deal was.  He and Tannenbaum had strong ties to Parcells.  Maybe he was the Rex choice, I don't know.  Sparano's vision of an offense was horrific, but I think that it constituted running, running some more with a vertical passing game.  Like Al Davis or something.  Hill was well suited to that role, even as a rookie. He can take the top off a defense.  I don't think he was so ill suited to do what Sparano wanted.  What Sparano expected to do was silly though.  He was not helped at all by the injuries to Keller and Holmes and I assume that Lal lobbied for Schilens who did exactly what he did in Oakland, barely teased and got hurt.  Now that Mornhinweg is here, he is not the optimal guy for the system, but I think he still adds value.  We'll see if he can put it together a little bit.  

LOL you could have said the same about Sanchez

In some respects. Sanchez was over-drafted as a college junior who only started 16 games, and got very little help in development from the franchise. I think the big difference between the two is Sanchez' lack of maturity, and Hill's reputation as a selfless hard-worker is a little different than Sanchez' M.O. Another difference is that Sanchez didn't have any legitimate competition until the Jets drafted Geno, and here in Hill's third year he's part of a log-jam at his position. So not a lot of parallels. 

Not for nothing but has Hill done anything to deserve a bold prediction be made in his favor?

The guy is the prototype big, fast WR. I think his biggest problem has been the fact that he's been a pussy. He doesn't fight for the ball. If this was due to his injuries then maybe being healthy will make him bolder and more willing to battle physically with DBs. 

I sure hope so. He may look great in an unpadded practice where he knows he won't get hit. I'll reserve judgement until I see him fight for a ball in the air and take it away from someone for once. 

He's raw and needs to be coached how to run his routes/keep his feet in bounds etc. last year was basically his rookie year because any player that came in under sporano was being coached by a junior high offensive coordinator. and he was hurt last year. if he cant make progress under morningwieg in TC he should be cut lose. I cant take dropped wide open catches that cost us games anymore just to justify him being drafted.

The funny thing is that Rex knew he needed to be coached and called him raw when he was drafted. I know Rex knows nothing about the O but he should have cranked the screws to the OC to bring him up to speed. we shall see.

We all knew he would be a project. Why do people bash someone that's 23 years old and didn't instantly become a superstar the second he got into the league at 21 years old?

Same thing with Geno. He didn't become Russel Wilson overnight his first year so let's move on immediately? Give the players a chance to succeed. Stop running them all out of town before their careers even get going.

This is the NFL. Two seasons isn't that short an amount of time.

Wilson sucks. 

In some respects. Sanchez was over-drafted as a college junior who only started 16 games, and got very little help in development from the franchise. I think the big difference between the two is Sanchez' lack of maturity, and Hill's reputation as a selfless hard-worker is a little different than Sanchez' M.O. Another difference is that Sanchez didn't have any legitimate competition until the Jets drafted Geno, and here in Hill's third year he's part of a log-jam at his position. So not a lot of parallels. 

Sanchez didn't have a good OC until last year. he's another guy that wasn't well coached coming in. hes gone, but it should be interesting to see what he says and does with the Eagles now.

Mark Sanchez: Love being with Philly
Updated: May 30, 2014, 7:29 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Mark Sanchez may have gone from starter to backup, but the former New York Jetsquarterback is not fazed by his spot on the depth chart for one major reason: he's too excited about his new team, the Philadelphia Eagles.

Sanchez, who missed all of 2013 while rehabbing a shoulder injury suffered during the preseason, has put his five years with the Jets behind him and is ready for what the future holds with the Eagles.

"I'm not going to do the comparison thing," Sanchez said Thursday, according to Newsday. "I loved everything that happened there [with the Jets]. Everything. Good, bad, ugly, don't care. It was an awesome time.

"But I'm an Eagle now. I love being here. This is the best place I could have landed."

Sanchez is transitioning to the Eagles' offense, but isn't limited by his shoulder.

"Maybe this whole shoulder thing and relocation has just been a blessing in disguise," Sanchez said, according to the paper. "Maybe that year off was exactly what I needed. Got a little rest for my legs, for my arm, and I feel great."

The 27-year-old, who believes he's entering the "prime" of his career, considered other offers after his release from the Jets, but it was Philadelphia's offense that tipped the scales.

"I just kept thinking, 'Eagles. This is the place to be,''' Sanchez said, according to Newsday. "I really respected what they did last year. ... And I think they have a ton of talent, especially at the wideout position, tight end position. They're just overflowing with guys that can play. So that's exciting for a quarterback."

"I was really drawn here because of the offensive minds here," he continued. "I think what they did last year was just the tip of the iceberg."

The Eagles went 10-6 in 2013, their first season under coach Chip Kelly. In his career, Sanchez has thrown for 12,092 yards and 68 touchdowns.

I'm holding out hope that he will be the starter opposite Decker as well, I'm just not sure if he can really take the job. I call it very cautiously optimistic because I have not been encouraged by his development. Yes he has had a worthless OC in Sparano and had to learn a new system under MM, but I just haven't seen development from this guy. And we're talking basic development, we keep saying he was so raw coming out of Georgia Tech and that's fine. That would mean, no matter what NFL program is in he should so some sort of development. Have we seen that? I don't know if we've had.

And is Sanjay Lal considered a good WR coach? I mean he was the WR coach for the Raiders and their WR sucked. Now he is on the Jets and the Jets WRs suck. Is this guy considered a good coach and just has never had talent or are we scraping from the bottom of the barrel with him?

I'm expecting nothing. Bringing in Decker, Ford, showing interest in DeSean Jackson, and then drafting 3 more WRs in the draft says the Jets were expecting nothing from him as well.  

It would be pretty awesome if he was able to put it together.  He was drafted to be a #1 WR that needed to be double-teamed, with size/speed that can't be taught.  Also he was a willing and capable blocker (in contrast to Holmes).  He was also drafted as a project (Tannenbaum leaving the team with no other credible options pushed him into a role he was clearly unready for), and was therefore over-drafted.  Ideally he'd have been subbed in & out with a limited list of plays that he was able to digest. Also ideally he'd have been healthy.

We'll see.  Most of what I've seen from him is a function of his speed (not even his height).  But there are lots of fast guys.  Jacoby Ford is one of them.

So I'm expecting nothing but like anyone would be thrilled if the light has gone on.  This would, of course, presume he possessed a light to be turned on in the first place.  But year 3 isn't far-fetched for a guy to start to get it.  Especially when, despite a couple of easy drops on him, he's had so little help at QB in years 1-2.

Expecting nothing as a Jet fan is the only way to go!

That said, everyone wants to hoover Idizk for his BPA approach and not mortgaging the future on a pic that cant help right away, and bash Tannenbaum for this pick? It is really hyporitical. Hill may end up being a complete bust, but everyone in the organization acknolwedged that Hill was a project and not ready to contribute right away. If Tanny was really looking out for himself, he does not make this pick, he picks someone who can come in and help save his job the next season.

Hill was forced to start  because the whole braintrust was more interested in building the 85 bears than a 2012-2018 football team. They all believed Sanchez was 10x more than what he was capable of, and let the entire offense go to complete crap, and Hill was probably sadly the best option despite being 2 years from being ready.

Bringing in Sporano probably set everyone around him back several years, I think just watching the offense under Sporano set people back at least 2 years. WR's literally did not know what they were supposed to do base don defensive changes under him. It was the worst possible hire they could have made.

Hill looks fragile for sure, but that said if he can stay healthy and develop around a decent offensive sytstem with some talent around him, I think it is fair to expect him to be a solid player, maybe not great, but solid.

The hatred for Hill by Jets fans is typical dopey Jet fans, which is really more of a typical dopey NY fan in general. The Giants fans were ready to run Eli out of town in year 4 before he was able to win 2 SB's.

Mark Sanchez: Love being with Philly
Updated: May 30, 2014, 7:29 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Mark Sanchez may have gone from starter to backup, but the former New York Jetsquarterback is not fazed by his spot on the depth chart for one major reason: he's too excited about his new team, the Philadelphia Eagles.

Sanchez, who missed all of 2013 while rehabbing a shoulder injury suffered during the preseason, has put his five years with the Jets behind him and is ready for what the future holds with the Eagles.

"I'm not going to do the comparison thing," Sanchez said Thursday, according to Newsday. "I loved everything that happened there [with the Jets]. Everything. Good, bad, ugly, don't care. It was an awesome time.

"But I'm an Eagle now. I love being here. This is the best place I could have landed."

Sanchez is transitioning to the Eagles' offense, but isn't limited by his shoulder.

"Maybe this whole shoulder thing and relocation has just been a blessing in disguise," Sanchez said, according to the paper. "Maybe that year off was exactly what I needed. Got a little rest for my legs, for my arm, and I feel great."

The 27-year-old, who believes he's entering the "prime" of his career, considered other offers after his release from the Jets, but it was Philadelphia's offense that tipped the scales.

"I just kept thinking, 'Eagles. This is the place to be,''' Sanchez said, according to Newsday. "I really respected what they did last year. ... And I think they have a ton of talent, especially at the wideout position, tight end position. They're just overflowing with guys that can play. So that's exciting for a quarterback."

"I was really drawn here because of the offensive minds here," he continued. "I think what they did last year was just the tip of the iceberg."

The Eagles went 10-6 in 2013, their first season under coach Chip Kelly. In his career, Sanchez has thrown for 12,092 yards and 68 touchdowns.

Thanks Frank! lol see you at Monmouth in a few weeks!

The catch he made taking that hit from Polumalu and holding on was far from pussy.  Granted, it knocked him out of the game, but he still held on!

45, 700, 3.  Thats my prediction for Hill. 

This I can accept.  The idea the guy is a pussy is a joke.  He needs to work on his rebounding (high pointing the ball)

Victim of Calvin/Demaryius and his own athleticism. He shouldn't have been a second round pick. He probably kills it at Jets field day though.

More than being able to play football its been whether he can stay on the field. Last season he was essentially not on the field a lot in the second half till the JETS put him on IR.

He was much improved last season and looked like he belonged on a NFL field compared to his first year where he looked lost. Given the fact he is playing on a rookie contract he is cheap and still has a ton of potential. Thats why cannot understand all the lets cut him talk. He will be here for the next few seasons at the very least till his rookie contract plays out.

Hill is going to be a very good WR for us sometimes they develop late and one thing I do know for sure is he blocks like a monster, hes a team player, he will put in the work, hes not afraid to go over the middle like Santonio .... just be patient guys.

his rookie year, collinsworth said he was the most raw rookie WR he had ever seen in the NFL

so you could look at last year like his rookie season in a way.  he needed a full year just to get to NFL rookie status

bottom line with 348 WR's in camp, he needs to produce to stay

gut test.  if he gets cut and goes to NE, do you get a little nervous ?

his rookie year, collinsworth said he was the most raw rookie WR he had ever seen in the NFL

so you could look at last year like his rookie season in a way.  he needed a full year just to get to NFL rookie status

bottom line with 348 WR's in camp, he needs to produce to stay

gut test.  if he gets cut and goes to NE, do you get a little nervous ?

Perfect question.  Answer for me is yes.  Brady might just turn him into Randy Moss Jr.  I'd rather he turn into a good, productive, occasionally spectacular WR for us.  If that makes monkeys out of some of the haters who have staked out their position that he can never be good, well I can live with that.

Archived