Revis acting like a douche

Matt39

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Darrelle Revis did nothing to change his mercenary image.

Speaking to local reporters Friday for the first time since his surprise signing by the Patriots in March, Revis expressed excitement at joining the Jets’ bitter rival but also sounded every bit like the short-timer his contract sets him up to be.

“I’m on my career and my journey, and right now, I’m a New England Patriot,” Revis said after taking part in a voluntary on-field workout at Gillette Stadium. “And that’s that.”

The words “right now” were telling, because logic — and the salary cap — dictates the $20 million team option for 2015 in Revis’ deal means this will be the All-Pro cornerback’s lone season in a Patriots uniform.

Revis said all the right things Friday, deferring to his new teammates, welcoming the chance to play alongside Tom Brady instead of against him and even complimenting Bill Belichick — the same person he called a “jerk” on national TV just two years earlier.

Modal Triggerrevispads.jpg?w=300

Photo: AP

According to Revis, the Patriots aren’t anything like what he pictured them to be in his six seasons as a Jet.

“From the inside, it’s totally different,” Revis said. “There are things you didn’t expect from how this organization is [run], from top to bottom. You’ve got to take your hat off to [owner Robert] Kraft for how this organization operates. They want to be a winning organization, and I’m happy those guys gave me an opportunity to come in here and be a part of it.”

Revis, 28, also is grateful to the Patriots for rescuing him after one nightmarish (although well-compensated) season with Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers went 4-12, fired coach Greg Schiano and then cut Revis shortly after Lovie Smith took over.

Revis earned $16 million for his one year in Tampa — his magic salary number and the one that prompted his trade by the Jets — but it was the most difficult of his pro career because Revis was coming back from a torn ACL and even asked to play zone defense in Schiano’s scheme.

“Last year was a tough year when I played in Tampa Bay,” said Revis, who is scheduled to make $12 million this season. “It was tough coming off the ACL and everything, so it was a long year for me personally. I’m just trying to recover.”

Revis said his knee “feels great” and the only adjustments have been learning the Patriots’ defensive scheme and getting to know his teammates.

“I’m just trying to take this time to get to know the guys and for them to know me as well,” Revis said. “I’m not trying to come in here and step on anybody’s toes. I’m just trying to come in here and learn as much as I can and get this defensive scheme down.”

Revis also made it clear he isn’t thinking about the Jets, though he will face them at least twice this season.

“That’s in the past,” he said when asked about Gang Green.

Revis appears to have fit in quickly in the New England locker room. Several veterans ribbed him loudly Friday about the large contingent of reporters waiting to talk to him.

“He’s a great guy,” second-year wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins said of Revis.

The question remains whether Revis, who always has been outspoken with the media, will fall in line with Belichick’s famously strict “Patriot Way” policy of zipped lips in the locker room.

Revis laughingly claimed Belichick “lets guys be who they are” but said he will continue to speak his mind.

“Yeah, I’m being my own guy,” Revis said. “I’m going to be me. That’s all I can say. I’m going to be myself and go with the flow.”

http://nypost.com/2014/05/30/darrelle-revis-sounds-like-hes-not-long-for-new-england/

“From the inside, it’s totally different,” Revis said. “There are things you didn’t expect from how this organization is [run], from top to bottom. You’ve got to take your hat off to [owner Robert] Kraft for how this organization operates. They want to be a winning organization, and I’m happy those guys gave me an opportunity to come in here and be a part of it.”

What a troublemaker.

He's being a douche because he's being honest about his situation? I don't get it.

I really hope he has a season or career ending injury and acquires a terrible sexually transmitted disease. going to the Patriots was a big F U to the Jets and HIS GOOD GOOD BUDDY AND PAL REX.

I agree with Slats in that Revis IS a douche and doesn't require acting lessons to reach that level. I would still rather him on the Jets than the Pats though. I don't think he is a difference maker anymore however and at 28 his time is short to make all his moolah.

What a troublemaker.

He's being a douche because he's being honest about his situation? I don't get it.

There's a small part of football that's being able to just be one of the guys.

There's a small part of football that's being able to just be one of the guys.

Revis appears to have fit in quickly in the New England locker room. Several veterans ribbed him loudly Friday about the large contingent of reporters waiting to talk to him.

“He’s a great guy,” second-year wide receiver [that no one ever heard of] Kenbrell Thompkins said of Revis.

Sounds like he's having a tough time with that.

Revis appears to have fit in quickly in the New England locker room. Several veterans ribbed him loudly Friday about the large contingent of reporters waiting to talk to him.

“He’s a great guy,” second-year wide receiver [that no one ever heard of] Kenbrell Thompkins said of Revis.

Sounds like he's having a tough time with that.

His contract says otherwise.

What a troublemaker.

He measures success in dollars and cents and he is honest about it.I no longer care about the ritual of Player X saying he wants to be here because of this or that when the reason is cash. Further despite being as talented as he is he is a student of the game. Wish he was still here. And more proof salary caps and nonguaranteed contracts are bullsheet. Don't understand people who think it's a great idea to suppress salaries....so owners can amke more? Does anyone watch the Jets to see Woody Johnson? Is there a cap on how much money an NFL team makes, and other than the Packers(owned by a public trust) we never see to see the books. It's crap and we're fed it every day.

my revis action figure has been upside down in my jets shot glass since he left the team...only way he ever gets turned up is if he comes back to the jets.  in my opinion, anyone who is not a jet is a douche...so right now, by my own definition, revis is a douche.

my revis action figure has been upside down in my jets shot glass since he left the team...only way he ever gets turned up is if he comes back to the jets. in my opinion, anyone who is not a jet is a douche...so right now, by my own definition, revis is a douche.

Is this exclusive to football players? Or, like, everyone?

my revis action figure has been upside down in my jets shot glass since he left the team...only way he ever gets turned up is if he comes back to the jets. in my opinion, anyone who is not a jet is a douche...so right now, by my own definition, revis is a douche.

NICE AVATAR JERKFACE

This is one of the worst article I've read in a long time, n trust me, I've read a lot of junk Mehta n Cimini post.

Just because he said "right now". I bet it was out of context as well. He was most likely asked where do u see urself next yr n he replied with the "right now" comment.

Leave him alone. He's not a Jet anymore.

This is one of the worst article I've read in a long time, n trust me, I've read a lot of junk Mehta n Cimini post.

Just because he said "right now". I bet it was out of context as well. He was most likely asked where do u see urself next yr n he replied with the "right now" comment.

Leave him alone. He's not a Jet anymore.

It's total inanity. There's video out there of it where he gives a generic reply to a generic question.  Where these media people get these ideas from and how people even pay any mind to it is mind boggling

The Patriot way?  What is that?  Shooting people.  Not winning jack ____ till 2001.  Getting lucky on a sixth round pick.  Cheating?

Heard of the Green Bay way and the Pittsburgh Steelers way.  This one has it's own smell.

What a troublemaker.

the key phrase would be "right now"

“I’m on my career and my journey, and right now, I’m a New England Patriot,” Revis said after taking part in a voluntary on-field workout at Gillette Stadium. “And that’s that.”

The words “right now” were telling, because logic — and the salary cap — dictates the $20 million team option for 2015 in Revis’ deal means this will be the All-Pro cornerback’s lone season in a Patriots uniform.

It's impossible to know in what context he made those comments. If he was asked something like, "how does it feel to be on your third team in three years," then his comments make sense.

Anyway, I don't think he's as great as his reputation says he is. Expect to see Albert Haynesworth, part II

There's a difference between "now I'm on the Patriots" and "right now I'm on the Patriots" and it was a slip on his part. "Now" means this is where he's endedup; "right now" means this is where he's ended up temporarily for this season.

I don't think this is douche-like. It's what he is; a guy whose goal is to make as much as he can for his career. If he wants to bet on himself, that's fine by me. He's forgoing more guaranteed money for maximizing his earning potential every season. If he stays healthy (and is great again) then he can make a lot more. If he gets seriously injured again this year he'll make a lot less. He's taking on the risk himself so I can't fault a guy for wanting different things out of his career than casual fans want for other peoples' life choices.

But he's a 1-year quick fix, not a guy you can build a team around, since he may or may not be on the team the following season. We were not shopping for a 1-year fix for a quick SB run like New England (or Denver or select others).

He's a mercenary. That's it that's all. If that's what you consider being a douche, well then, he's the king douche because this is who he is now. Highest bidder wins the great Revis. I expect at least 3-4 more teams before its all said and done.

Archived