Will Ed Reed get another shot with a team in the NFL? With the Jets?

NYJetsVets91

reedweb15s-4-web.jpg

In an interview with his former teammate Lardarius Webb, Ed Reed stated he is "still preparing to play." Reed was attending a charity softball game at M&T Bank Stadium; Reed says he "knows teams that needs safeties." Reed also stated he is "Not going to be in anybody's training camp."

It sounds like Ed is waiting for a particular team to contact him saying "It would have to be the right fit." While it is true that this could be a number of things, or just Reed trying not to sound desperate, it could also be him trying to reunite with his original team the Ravens who he had 9 pro bowl seasons out of 11 with. Or could it be the Jets who he revived his season with last year? Either way if Reed is signed it probably won't be until the end of the off season, or possibly even during the season. 

There is no doubt Reed has lost a step, or even two, but he can still be good in a mentor's role. Reed also showed he can still make some plays grabbing 3 INTs for the Jets last year. While it would seem Reed would be confined to a backup role, the Jets might be a good landing spot for him. He could help Dawan Landry mentor the younger safeties in Calvin Pryor, Antonio Allen, and Josh Bush. Surely Rex Ryan would be pulling for the Jets to bring Reed back, and as the off season rolls on it would make the notion much cheaper. Reed also stated he "knows his worth" at this point in his career. 

The Jets signed Reed for the veteran's minimum at 380k for the remainder of the season. Obviously a safe investment for that price. While Reed wasn't a great signing, he wasn't a horrible one either. If he could come that cheaply to the Jets again for the veteran's minimum, which for Reed would probably be somewhere around 900-950k, that would also be another safe investment to help bolster a suspect secondary. While the real need in the secondary is CB, some reinforcements wouldn't hurt.

-

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000354972/article/ed-reed-i-can-still-play-in-nfl-despite-2013-season

-

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11018106/ed-reed-not-retiring-hopes-join-team-later-year?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I could see the Jets signing him at some point in training camp. Cutting him on the last day and then bringing him back week 2.  Teams are rough on that whole guaranteed veteran minimum contract thing.

Another Eric Smith? Safety to coach? or Intern In Smith's case...

just saying if he knows he won't be on anyone's week 1 roster, or in anyone's camp, he knows this is his last year, and that he may not even get that

he may just retire.

I don't think it's a coincidence the secondary improved the day he got here, hope he stays in some capacity

If he is going to mentor people, wouldn't you want him in camp?  I think he is a guy somebody picks up if they safeties stink going into the season or after an injury.  I didn't like what we got out of him, but he wasn't horrible.  The main problem I had with him is that I think he got too much run.  I'd rather Rex limited his snaps and if they can't do that I don't want any part of him.

Reed was something terrible last year. No thanks. Dude's toast.

He was the best ball hawk on the team last year, he had 3 picks in like what ? 7 games with us? And he can help Pryor with the ins and outs of the S position at the NFL level. He can only help what was a terrible secondary last year, imo.

Vet min to mentor the defensive back field I'd go for that. I think it's no coincidence the play of Milliner, and whole group improved in the last quater of the season, I really think Reeds influence was a huge part of the light going on.

If he wants to play then move him to strong safety and have him mentor Calvin Pryor. This is no brainer.

Roster spots are very valuable to teams with talent and depth.  You know, the kind of team to which we aspire to be one day?  If having Ed Reed on a roster was a no brainer, he'd be signed somwhere.  The Jets are not the only team with young players in their secondary and they already have a guy that can mentor in Landry. 

Roster spots are very valuable to teams with talent and depth.  You know, the kind of team to which we aspire to be one day?  If having Ed Reed on a roster was a no brainer, he'd be signed somwhere.  The Jets are not the only team with young players in their secondary and they already have a guy that can mentor in Landry. 

If Landry was the player we wanted him to be, we wouldn't have drafted Pryor. Reed was mentoring Landry as far back as Baltimore. If he's not the unquestioned starting FS in his 7th year last year, to the point where you have to bring in Ed Reed who matched the production of the whole backfield in just 7 games, then how does it make sense to keep Landry as the SS when you could put Reed there? Looks a lot more appealing to me than having Landry as a SS. That depth argument doesn't really hold weight when Landry isn't a spring chicken himself. You even said it yourself in the depth thread that there is no named SS, so seriously, who's going to do a better job there?

If Landry was the player we wanted him to be, we wouldn't have drafted Pryor. Reed was mentoring Landry as far back as Baltimore. If he's not the unquestioned starting FS in his 7th year last year, to the point where you have to bring in Ed Reed who matched the production of the whole backfield in just 7 games, then how does it make sense to keep Landry as the SS when you could put Reed there? Looks a lot more appealing to me than having Landry as a SS. That depth argument doesn't really hold weight when Landry isn't a spring chicken himself. You even said it yourself in the depth thread that there is no named SS, so seriously, who's going to do a better job there?

He got 3 interceptions. He also blew more angles and tackles.  Did you watch the games, or are you just looking at the INT stats?  Landry isn't a centerfielder.  Neither is Reed at this point, but at least Landry can tackle and doesn't look like he thinks he's 2 tenths faster than he actuall is. 

He got 3 interceptions. He also blew more angles and tackles.  Did you watch the games, or are you just looking at the INT stats?  Landry isn't a centerfielder.  Neither is Reed at this point, but at least Landry can tackle and doesn't look like he thinks he's 2 tenths faster than he actuall is. 

:face:

That must be how you watched the games if you thought Reed was good for us last season.

I'm facepalming because you haven't taken the time to read the 5 sentences I wrote. I never suggested Landry or Reed play center field. I said Pryor at FS, Reed as SS, which works well for both. Yikes

I'm facepalming because you haven't taken the time to read the 5 sentences I wrote. I never suggested Landry or Reed play center field. I said Pryor at FS, Reed as SS, which works well for both. Yikes

Reed looked slow, couldn't tackle and took bad angles.  It doesn't matter where you play him he will not excel.  Let me get which one the strong safety is in this scenario: The one that plays over the TE?  The one that plays up at the line against the run?  Which is it in your terminology? The Jets safeties are pretty interchangeagle anyway, but hey.. facepalm away.  

Reed looked slow, couldn't tackle and took bad angles.  It doesn't matter where you play him he will not excel.  Let me get which one the strong safety is in this scenario: The one that plays over the TE?  The one that plays up at the line against the run?  Which is it in your terminology? The Jets safeties are pretty interchangeagle anyway, but hey.. facepalm away.  

When Pryor takes the field, I can assure you that the Jets safeties roles will not be interchangeable. I am looking towards the future, sir.

I know I have tried this before, but there are plenty of ways it can hurt beyond salary.  There are limited roster spots.  If Reed can't play then he is a coach and don't waste the spot.  They already have Pryor, Landry, Allen, Jarrett and Bush.  That is probably already too many safeties.  If Bush doesn't step up I assume he is gone.  They carry a ton of corners and need to, so that leaves less roster spots.  Reed isn't going to contribute on specials, so that limits who you can keep for additional roster spots.  There are times when it is a good idea to have a vet in as a mentor.  This may even be one of them, but thinking there is no downside is shortsighted.  Sure the team will probably end up keeping some guys that suck, but they have also been forced to cut guys like Danny Woodhead, Atari Bigby, Jonathan Goodwin because of moves like this. I say keep the best 53.  **** mentors. 

Archived