Stop telling me to get an iPhone

Maxman

Preach on brother.  Unfortunately, just over one week ago I was strong-armed by my company into making the switch to iPhone, as it was either that or carry around two phones all the freakin' time.  Before that I was an adamant user of Android phones and definitely miss it.  While iPhone certainly has its benefits, it's not the superior piece of equipment so many try to paint it as.  Some of the differences are just subtle things you need to get used to, but there's other parts that are not so great.  The lack of support for micro-USB and SD cards is the biggest load of crap in the cell phone industry and tells you how much effort they put into NOT being customer friendly or providing any degree of compatibility, all in order to screw over their own customers ($100 to get a phone with another 8GB of storage space?  Are you ******* kidding me?).  Kind of ironic that Apple based their initial resurgence on not being like the evil folks at Microsoft, and yet these days they're even worse.  And consider I was actually a pretty big Apple fan for quite a while, but I'm really done with them.  Don't get me wrong, good for them that they can get away with all of this from a business standpoint, but I definitely would be done as a customer of theirs if not for my company.

Beyond that, the iPhone's keyboard is complete and utter dog sh*t and, of course, they refuse to allow you to switch the keyboard (unless of course you jailbreak the phone).  The iPhone seriously has to be amongst the least compatible pieces of technology on the market.

Ok, rant over... I look forward to the angry responses from the fans. :)

Ah yes I almost forgot. The swipe keyboard on Droid. Incontestable domination.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That screen is made out of gorilla glass? Can you deflect bullets with your moto x? And do your pants fall down when you put it in your pocket?

I have to keep reminding myself that this is a guy that bought a Chrysler 300.

That is an inaccurate statement.  But what is wrong with a 300?  

I had an iPhone for two years. iPhone burns out after year one, give or take. Some part of the hardware can't hang with the usage. Anyway, figured I would try droid. I got a Google Nexus 5 and I run it on AT&T. I mean, droid is so much further ahead of the game, it's a joke.

I thoroughly enjoy playing 'ok Google'/'ask siri' with my wife and other iPhone 5 users. I tend to get 3-4 more answers than they do. My phone has little tabs that update on the right most home screen depending on what I'm searching for, reading etc. I never told it that I was flying and yet it put a tiny airplane on top of my phone and told me my flight was delayed. Friends have returned multiple iPhone apiece since I bought this droid and it's still running like the day I got it.

I think the biggest advantage that iPhone has is the seemless transfer of music between iTunes and iPhone. Otherwise they are behind the curve in every possible way. Also apple is incredibly sneaky in "applifying" everything you let it touch.

Take a pic? It's in the photos section that doesn't easily retrieve on the Mac. Contacts? To the cloud. Other people have you in their phone as iPhone? Torture trying to tell everyone that you need to be sms now/unregister your number from imessage. Pain in the ass.

Good companies don't try to make it like defecting from Cuba when you leave. They motivate you to stay with excellence. I won't get rid of my Mac laptop though. It's truly top notch. Phone not so much

The google now stuff is scary in a way but it is flat out amazing.  I use Outlook as my calendar but I synch it (my personal calendar and my work one) to Google Calendar.  So on my phone and tablet I see everything.  Anyhow the alerts they send you are amazing.  I never told google where I lived or where I work but it figures it out from your driving patterns. (Like I said that is scary).

But when you get an alert at home telling you there is more traffic than normal that day, wow.  So cool.

Every Friday I go to the Cancer Institute in New Brunswick with my wife.  We never told google we were going there, lol.  Then last Friday I get an alert saying, that it would take an extra 7 minutes to go to an address that I didn't recognize.  I was like why is it telling me this?  Then I realized, it knew what day it was and where we were going.  Amazing.  

Just don't commit any crimes and you will be fine, lol.

They are peers in the same way that Tom Brady and Geno Smith are peers.  

They are peers because both operating systems, run on capable devices, serve up positive user experienced to their respective customer targets. Plain and simple.

The mistake you, and most people, make in discussing this topic is that you assume that someone who wants an iPhone running OS WANTS the exact same things as someone with a Google Nexus running Android, for example. 

Ultimately this debate comes down to this:

Apple users buy Apple products so that they can "feel good" about aesthetics and perception of belonging to the "cult". It's an emotionally driven brand purchase. 

Android users buy Android products so that they can "feel good" about specifications and the perception that they are bucking the trend by not joining the "cult". Also an emotionally driven brand purchase. 

At the end of the day almost NOBODY buys either smartphone platform for any reason other than emotional ones. If people were actually buying a phone and interested in it being a good investment in hardware, they'd buy the indestructible Nokia's that they sell in 3rd world countries only. Those ******* things are beasts, but they are purely a product made for function... not measurement of status and delivering emotional gratification.

They are peers because both operating systems, run on capable devices, serve up positive user experienced to their respective customer targets. Plain and simple.

The mistake you, and most people, make in discussing this topic is that you assume that someone who wants an iPhone running OS WANTS the exact same things as someone with a Google Nexus running Android, for example. 

Ultimately this debate comes down to this:

Apple users buy Apple products so that they can "feel good" about aesthetics and perception of belonging to the "cult". It's an emotionally driven brand purchase. 

Android users buy Android products so that they can "feel good" about specifications and the perception that they are bucking the trend by not joining the "cult". Also an emotionally driven brand purchase. 

At the end of the day almost NOBODY buys either smartphone platform for any reason other than emotional ones. If people were actually buying a phone and interested in it being a good investment in hardware, they'd buy the indestructible Nokia's that they sell in 3rd world countries only. Those ******* things are beasts, but they are purely a product made for function... not measurement of status and delivering emotional gratification.

I hate to break it to you, but as a convert, the reason I'm so happy with Google is because it just kicks the sh*t out of iPhone in almost every way. It's not competition with iPhone, it's the fact that everything I do on Droid is like butter. It's smooth, it's easy, it's an incredibly resourceful and integrative OS, and it's customizable if you want to.

The google now stuff is scary in a way but it is flat out amazing.  I use Outlook as my calendar but I synch it (my personal calendar and my work one) to Google Calendar.  So on my phone and tablet I see everything.  Anyhow the alerts they send you are amazing.  I never told google where I lived or where I work but it figures it out from your driving patterns. (Like I said that is scary).

But when you get an alert at home telling you there is more traffic than normal that day, wow.  So cool.

Every Friday I go to the Cancer Institute in New Brunswick with my wife.  We never told google we were going there, lol.  Then last Friday I get an alert saying, that it would take an extra 7 minutes to go to an address that I didn't recognize.  I was like why is it telling me this?  Then I realized, it knew what day it was and where we were going.  Amazing.  

Just don't commit any crimes and you will be fine, lol.

Yeah once you make peace with the fact that the world is going to the machines, that they know everything whether you want them to or not, you may as well embrace it and let it work for you. It just kind of shocks you with it's usefulness that you didn't even know you had.

I hate to break it to you, but as a convert, the reason I'm so happy with Google is because it just kicks the sh*t out of iPhone in almost every way. It's not competition with iPhone, it's the fact that everything I do on Droid is like butter. It's smooth, it's easy, it's an incredibly resourceful and integrative OS, and it's customizable if you want to.

Yeah, so like I said, it delivers you the type of user experience you want from it... and like I said, that experience is largely driven by the superior specs argument. So it's a good fit for you, both functionally and emotionally.

The point you continue to miss is that that doesn't automatically mean that's the case for everyone. Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. Our country is filled with stupid people that need to have a side to belong to in every argument. The reality is is that both are extremely viable, because both fill separate market demands. It's largely naive to compare them straight up, because the people doing the comparison don't understand the customer psychology and motivators for each brand.

I'm happy you found a phone you like - I just don't think you get what I'm talking about. 

Yeah, so like I said, it delivers you the type of user experience you want from it... and like I said, that experience is largely driven by the superior specs argument. So it's a good fit for you, both functionally and emotionally.

The point you continue to miss is that that doesn't automatically mean that's the case for everyone. Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. Our country is filled with stupid people that need to have a side to belong to in every argument. The reality is is that both are extremely viable, because both fill separate market demands. It's largely naive to compare them straight up, because the people doing the comparison don't understand the customer psychology and motivators for each brand.

I'm happy you found a phone you like - I just don't think you get what I'm talking about. 

Lol.

It's the iPhone cheerleaders that bring out the Droid realists. I didn't start this catfight but I'm happy to throw water on it.

Lol.

It's the iPhone cheerleaders that bring out the Droid realists. I didn't start this catfight but I'm happy to throw water on it.

Like I said, you don't get what I'm talking about.

sh*t, you don't even get what you are talking about. You aren't "throwing water on it", you are sustaining it by picking and arguing for one side over the other.

Even stupid comments like "cheerleaders vs. realists" pushes the debate further, when it really shouldn't be a debate. It sounds exactly like political theater, one side is a "realist" while the other side is struck with the sexist insult of being effeminate "cheerleaders". 

Here's the thing that dopes like you and the rest of this pitiful country don't get. You are all cheerleaders, pushing the agenda for someone else to make money. Just like in politics and religion, consumer electronics is really no different. It's your cult vs. my cult... the consumer doesn't win like this. 

Apple delivers the experience that it's consumers want.

Android and Google and a few of the phone manufacturers deliver the experience that their consumers want. 

Consumers in the smartphone market are actually shopping less for performance and shopping more for a side in the ongoing debate.... and THAT is why the consumer loses when this narrow-minded polarization is proliferated. If consumers stopped arguing with each other over which cult is better, citing lame reason after lame reason, and argued with half the passion with the manufacturer for better performance and experience, then the consumer would be winning. They rely on consumers debating which is better, because it saves them money on branding and essentially lets them off the hook for coming up with sh*t that is truly innovative in between the rabid-paced releases. If the consumer wants to argue so badly, they should be arguing "make the last phone I bought perform better and relevant longer". You all let them off the hook though when all they really have to do is give you something to wave around and say "mine is better" for make believe reasons that make you feel better emotionally.

You can pretend the debate has something to do with technical specs, but it really doesn't. It's all about how it makes you feel inside. It is a war of emotions and not a war of technology. If it was truly about technology the advancements would be way further along.

Like I said, you don't get what I'm talking about.

sh*t, you don't even get what you are talking about. You aren't "throwing water on it", 1: you are sustaining it by picking and arguing for one side over the other.

Even stupid comments like "cheerleaders vs. realists" pushes the debate further, when it really shouldn't be a debate. It sounds exactly like political theater, one side is a "realist" while the other side is 2: struck with the sexist insult of being effeminate "cheerleaders". 

Here's the thing that dopes like you and the rest of this pitiful country don't get. You are all cheerleaders, pushing the agenda for someone else to make money. Just like in politics and religion, consumer electronics is really no different. It's your cult vs. my cult... the consumer doesn't win like this. 

Apple delivers the experience that it's consumers want.

Android and Google and a few of the phone manufacturers deliver the experience that their consumers want. 

3: Consumers in the smartphone market are actually shopping less for performance and shopping more for a side in the ongoing debate.... and THAT is why the consumer loses when this narrow-minded polarization is proliferated. If consumers stopped arguing with each other over which cult is better, citing lame reason after lame reason, and argued with half the passion with the manufacturer for better performance and experience, then the consumer would be winning. They rely on consumers debating which is better, because it saves them money on branding and essentially lets them off the hook for coming up with sh*t that is truly innovative in between the rabid-paced releases. If the consumer wants to argue so badly, they should be arguing "make the last phone I bought perform better and relevant longer". You all let them off the hook though when all they really have to do is give you something to wave around and say "mine is better" for make believe reasons that make you feel better emotionally.

4: You can pretend the debate has something to do with technical specs, but it really doesn't. It's all about how it makes you feel inside. It is a war of emotions and not a war of technology. If it was truly about technology the advancements would be way further along.

lulz.

Your post is so full of assumptions it reads like a Wikipedia article hacked by a dream team of Russians on meth.

1: Yes I am making the Droid case. I'm not trying to diminish the Apple case with any extra effort, other than to add observations in my unique position of a consumer of both. There is a difference between the blatant criticism of Max, and the input made by myself. Open a book up and search for the word "Discussion."

2: It's you, not I, bringing sexism into play. Males cheerlead too. Propagating a stigma, you are. 

3: Google Droid users outnumber Apple users by an Ungodly margin. I'm not going to factcheck myself because I already work on Wall St and we are inundated ad-naseum with Apple's efforts to infiltrate the smartphone market overseas. They can't do it. There's a reason, and that reason is performance. Nations besides ours don't hold iPhone at the same rate socially as us. They have chosen performance. They have a hard-on for Samsung. Further, by Droid phones holding such a wide margin, it is essentially a victory for consumers as they are voting with their wallets for quality. This concept of supply and demand, which as far as I know dates at least back to the movie "A Beautiful Mind", dictates that consumers will stop buying bad products when a better, fairly priced alternative becomes available.

4: You have no insight at all into my mind, my emotions or anyone else's, I'm done here.

Apple does nothing but sell a brand. It's like those overpriced beats monstrosities. My $86 doller sony's and $150 mt50's deliver ten times the sound quality. They just don't have the beats brand. It's the same thing with Android. It delivers anything you want from sleek to powerhouses at a lower cost with more customization.

lulz.

Your post is so full of assumptions it reads like a Wikipedia article hacked by a dream team of Russians on meth.

1: Yes I am making the Droid case. I'm not trying to diminish the Apple case with any extra effort, other than to add observations in my unique position of a consumer of both. There is a difference between the blatant criticism of Max, and the input made by myself. Open a book up and search for the word "Discussion."

2: It's you, not I, bringing sexism into play. Males cheerlead too. Propagating a stigma, you are. 

3: Google Droid users outnumber Apple users by an Ungodly margin. I'm not going to factcheck myself because I already work on Wall St and we are inundated ad-naseum with Apple's efforts to infiltrate the smartphone market overseas. They can't do it. There's a reason, and that reason is performance. Nations besides ours don't hold iPhone at the same rate socially as us. They have chosen performance. They have a hard-on for Samsung. Further, by Droid phones holding such a wide margin, it is essentially a victory for consumers as they are voting with their wallets for quality. This concept of supply and demand, which as far as I know dates at least back to the movie "A Beautiful Mind", dictates that consumers will stop buying bad products when a better, fairly priced alternative becomes available.

4: You have no insight at all into my mind, my emotions or anyone else's, I'm done here.

1. You said you were throwing water on it, which implies "extinguishing" or "ending" it. I said you were perpetuating it, you just agreed. You're stupid.

2. Calling someone a cheerleader, is a flimsy way of calling them fagola or equating them to women. Intended to be an insult, especially when juxtaposed with a superlative like "realists". No amount of spin you put on it changes that. We live in a sexist society, I didn't "bring" sexism into anything, it is the reality of your own word choice. You sound like a jackass trying to squirm around this. 

3. I'm not contesting the market overseas. I put my points into the context of the American market in an earlier post, try to keep up I believe would be the appropriate dig if I were a half-wit doosh. I also agree with your comments about "voting for performance with their wallets", which is reinforced by what I said about people need to shelve the "which is better" argument with each other and push the companies to innovate and deliver more. Again, try to keep up? Devices should be much further along than they are, the reason they aren't is because people are content to buy brands - not machines. It's why the American Auto Industry got away with selling cars that died in under 100k miles for the past 30 years. My call is for customers to expect, actually demand, more of the smartphone manufacturers, rather than get mired in arguing which brand cult is better. Both sides claim "performance" is what makes their side better. The point I've already made — the one you are missing — is that performance is contextual. Performance to one person may be processor speed specs, while to another it is the act of being able to find something or do something... and guess what? Neither is wrong... and both feed into 2 vastly different emotional use-cases. Which is why, as I've already stated, both options are extremely viable. The problem isn't which is better, it's why aren't all smartphones better by now. The pace of innovation in that market is terribly slow, in my opinion, because manufacturers only need to deliver quarterly on the brand promise. This lets them "kick the can down the road" with regards to innovation. Less frequent releases = more time to take major steps. Problem is the industry is built around the idea of selling phone upgrades to suckers that need a new device to show their love for their chosen brand cult. The demand isn't for tiny incremets of tech improvement, the demand is for idiots to have a new phone to wave around. So, as I said... it's all emotional. Particularly in American society. Anyone that understands how to evaluate the customer-to-product relationship beyond reading the side of a ******* box for tech specs should understand this about customer behavior in the country. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. I don't care at this point. 

4. Take your ball and go home then. It's my job to have insight into customer thinking, emotions and motivation. I don't give a sh*t if you work on Wall Street or for NASA, you are embroiled in a layman's argument and you are bring very little insight to the discussion. 

"I'm done here."

LMFAO what a puss puss.

Ah yes, the classics never go out of style, do they?  It's been a while since we've gotten to have Ape not only tell everyone how much more brilliant he is than all of us, but also why he is the only person who could possibly grasp the genius of his argument.

Although there is a bit of irony in someone putting such effort into talking down the entire population of this country while exhibiting the most extreme examples of the traits that the rest of the world claims to hate most about Americans.  Hate to break it to you buddy, but you're just as big of a dipsh*t as the rest of us, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.  That's not even an insult, it's just kind of the truth.  <3 u

I've long refused to do the Steve Jobs ankle grab and whenever I go past the Apple store in town I make sure to roll down the window and go Baa to all the sheep.

My HTC One is better than any Iphone.

This is kind of the point I was going for in the first post.  I am happy with my Droid.  And I also am okay that other people are happy with their iPhones.  All I want is for them to not try to convert me anymore, lol.

Hey it's a 2004, and that's the advantage of having a company car. I hardly ever use it

I still don't get the 300 crack.  It was 2005, was it a bad car?  I really don't get it.  I was able to lease a Chrysler 300 for $399 a month with no money down. It seemed like a good deal to me.

But I could be wrong, I have a Droid so apparently I am not very smart, lol.

I still don't get the 300 crack. It was 2005, was it a bad car? I really don't get it. I was able to lease a Chrysler 300 for $399 a month with no money down. It seemed like a good deal to me.

But I could be wrong, I have a Droid so apparently I am not very smart, lol.

Oh you leased it? That is/was a good deal for you at that price with no money down, combined with all the miles wear and tear Jets tears you put on it and in it. I guess you are smart, for a droid user of course.

Here is my only issue with the droid razor I use at work. I loved everything about it except the email. I couldn't blind copy myself on emails sent from my phone and I had to use this atrocious k9mail to do it and I hated that k9 mail. So I used my personal iPhone to send emails. Other than that I liked the razor.

Let's knock it off with the personal attacks.  Pure garbage.

Oh, sorry - Lizzie is my buddy, it's name-calling, but he knows it's not personal. I'll refrain from calling him dumb brains though. :)

This is kind of the point I was going for in the first post.  I am happy with my Droid.  And I also am okay that other people are happy with their iPhones.  All I want is for them to not try to convert me anymore, lol.

Oh, so you want advertisers to stop advertising. LOL you should have just said so. ;)

Ah yes, the classics never go out of style, do they?  It's been a while since we've gotten to have Ape not only tell everyone how much more brilliant he is than all of us, but also why he is the only person who could possibly grasp the genius of his argument.

Although there is a bit of irony in someone putting such effort into talking down the entire population of this country while exhibiting the most extreme examples of the traits that the rest of the world claims to hate most about Americans.  Hate to break it to you buddy, but you're just as big of a dipsh*t as the rest of us, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.  That's not even an insult, it's just kind of the truth.  <3 u

Realist is a "superlative" now?  He teaches me something new every single day.

I'm not making an argument. I'm actually just pointing out the pointlessness of the Apple vs. anyone else argument. They are different products filling different demands. Energy should be put into innovation, not cultivating brand loyalty. That's the only way customers would really win in this particular market.

I'm not going to apologize for being hard on people because they refuse to discuss a topic beyond arguing left or right. This debate always comes down to canned jargon, and I don't subscribe to discussing things that way. I don't claim to know more or be any less of a dipsh*t than the next guy, but I don't think it's out-of-bounds to say "you don't get what I'm saying" when I choose not to serve up the canned retort of one side of the argument, and instead try to talk about the bigger picture only to be met with canned jargon as a response. 

I stand by the points I've made in this conversation. American consumers make emotional buying decisions, and both Apple and Android serve different emotional experiences to their respective loyalists. I'm not defending either "cult". Which, I'm sure, is why Lizzie took his ball and went home, because what do you do with a guy who won't volley back the arguments you've already learned how to counter? You walk away.

I'm not sure why you had to pop in and make some sort of personal remarks about me, without adding anything to the discussion. It's like you can't help yourself, you see someone else trying to be thoughtful in discussing something other than duh vs. duh, and you have to immediately level set it. Comes across as insecurity, especially when the first change you get in another thread you'll go out of your way to try and sound smarter than the next guy. 

I've long refused to do the Steve Jobs ankle grab and whenever I go past the Apple store in town I make sure to roll down the window and go Baa to all the sheep.

My HTC One is better than any Iphone.

We're all sheep. You've just chosen to make someone else rich.................. and comes across like a lunatic. LOL :D

1: Calling someone a cheerleader, is a flimsy way of calling them fagola or equating them to women. Intended to be an insult, especially when juxtaposed with a superlative like "realists". No amount of spin you put on it changes that. We live in a sexist society, I didn't "bring" sexism into anything, it is the reality of your own word choice. You sound like a jackass trying to squirm around this. 

2: I'm not contesting the market overseas. I put my points into the context of the American market in an earlier post, try to keep up I believe would be the appropriate dig if I were a half-wit doosh. I also agree with your comments about "voting for performance with their wallets", which is reinforced by what I said about

3: people need to shelve the "which is better" argument with each other and push the companies to innovate and deliver more. Again, try to keep up? Devices should be much further along than they are, the reason they aren't is because people are content to buy brands - not machines. a) It's why the American Auto Industry got away with selling cars that died in under 100k miles for the past 30 years.  b: My call is for customers to expect, actually demand, more of the smartphone manufacturers, rather than get mired in arguing which brand cult is better. Both sides claim "performance" is what makes their side better. The point I've already made — the one you are missing — is that performance is contextual. Performance to one person may be processor speed specs, while to another it is the act of being able to find something or do something... and guess what? Neither is wrong... and both feed into 2 vastly different emotional use-cases. Which is why, as I've already stated, both options are extremely viable. The problem isn't which is better, it's why aren't all smartphones better by now. 

4: The pace of innovation in that market is terribly slow, in my opinion, because manufacturers only need to deliver quarterly on the brand promise. This lets them "kick the can down the road" with regards to innovation. Less frequent releases = more time to take major steps. Problem is the industry is built around the idea of selling phone upgrades to suckers that need a new device to show their love for their chosen brand cult.  The demand isn't for tiny increments of tech improvement, the demand is for idiots to have a new phone to wave around. So, as I said... it's all emotional. Particularly in American society. Anyone that understands how to evaluate the customer-to-product relationship beyond reading the side of a ******* box for tech specs should understand this about customer behavior in the country. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. I don't care at this point. 

Take your ball and go home then. It's my job to have insight into customer thinking, emotions and motivation. I don't give a sh*t if you work on Wall Street or for NASA, you are embroiled in a layman's argument and you are bring very little insight to the discussion. 

"I'm done here."

LMFAO what a puss puss.

Brother man, are you serious with this post? I've reorganized the above, too so that your points are more discernable.

1: Again, trying to invoke sexism in regards to my using the term "cheerleading" is nothing more than a reflection on your own opinion on cheerleading. Parrot your accusation until your fingers fall of; nobody in this thread implied any sort of prejudice on gender roles until you showed up. Sorry sparky, that's all on you.

2: Do you actually think there is a serious corporate executive who is only measuring his market share on American Popular Opinion? I know you want to keep this discussion in relation to the US, as that is where any foundation in your argument may exist, but nobody in the real world cares if the money is coming in from California or Hong Kong, (I'm not even positive Apple leads sales here tbh, I don't think they do gut feeling)

3: You're unique in your call here. I have never read or heard anyone make this observation before. Do you have any ideas or, do you just want "improvements." Do you even know what you're talking about? Technological advances have grown exponentially in the past decade. The hardware can't keep up. The lithium ion battery is literally holding back progress. Come up with something better, you'll make a killing and you can buy JN from Max and convert the board completely to Mafia. Football analogy: I want the Jets to have "offense." I don't send in a playbook and free agent chart to John Idzik. I spew hot air about it. What do you want exactly? Apple has one of the largest R&D departments in the world. Actually, they were 100% R&D since Steve Jobs came back in early 2000's. The beats acquisition is total deviation from the Apple philosophy.

a) Oh ok, global advances in foreign industrial output, technology, trade, communication and protectionist legislation had nothing to do with this. It was simply the consumer being satisfied with the 1990's "Found On Road Deserted" mantra.

b: Again,  you're the first consumer in history to develop this idea. 

4: "Cash Flow" that aggravating concept about creating revenues, keeping your employees, staying solvent and funding that R&D dept. Learn it, live it, love it.

Brother man, are you serious with this post? I've reorganized the above, too so that your points are more discernable.

1: Again, trying to invoke sexism in regards to my using the term "cheerleading" is nothing more than a reflection on your own opinion on cheerleading. Parrot your accusation until your fingers fall of; nobody in this thread implied any sort of prejudice on gender roles until you showed up. Sorry sparky, that's all on you.

2: Do you actually think there is a serious corporate executive who is only measuring his market share on American Popular Opinion? I know you want to keep this discussion in relation to the US, as that is where any foundation in your argument may exist, but nobody in the real world cares if the money is coming in from California or Hong Kong, (I'm not even positive Apple leads sales here tbh, I don't think they do gut feeling)

3: You're unique in your call here. I have never read or heard anyone make this observation before. Do you have any ideas or, do you just want "improvements." Do you even know what you're talking about? Technological advances have grown exponentially in the past decade. The hardware can't keep up. The lithium ion battery is literally holding back progress. Come up with something better, you'll make a killing and you can buy JN from Max and convert the board completely to Mafia. Football analogy: I want the Jets to have "offense." I don't send in a playbook and free agent chart to John Idzik. I spew hot air about it. What do you want exactly? Apple has one of the largest R&D departments in the world. Actually, they were 100% R&D since Steve Jobs came back in early 2000's. The beats acquisition is total deviation from the Apple philosophy.

a) Oh ok, global advances in foreign industrial output, technology, trade, communication and protectionist legislation had nothing to do with this. It was simply the consumer being satisfied with the 1990's "Found On Road Deserted" mantra.

b: Again,  you're the first consumer in history to develop this idea. 

4: "Cash Flow" that aggravating concept about creating revenues, keeping your employees, staying solvent and funding that R&D dept. Learn it, live it, love it.

1. You implied it the minute you juxtaposed "realists" with "cheerleaders". 

2. Like I said earlier, the discussion was the American consumer and their buying motivation.... NOT corporate execs and global profits. You should see the difference. If not, then I'll assume you are shifting the argument to something  you are more capable of winning on. Unfortunately, I agree with you on that, but it's really not what I was weighing in on.

3. "The hardware can't keep up." ---- you just answered your own questions. The smartphone experience is reliant on hardware that can "keep up", the smartphone industry, in my opinion (which I've stated clearly all along here) owes the consumer more innovation on the hardware side. Keep up with the software. Give us a product we don't have to upgrade every 3-6 months. Gives us hardware that functions as a platform that we can truly upgrade, rather than replace - which is what upgrade really is right now. I've worked with technology my whole life, and I really can't recall any facet that has veiled product replacement as "upgrading" the way smartphones has, and had it been so accepted by the consumer as an "okay" thing.

When Jobs came back, and they were all R&D the innovations were seen in both hardware and software. The strides they took were balanced. The innovations mattered more. Now, new products come out with tweaks and it is sold to us as innovation. This isn't a pro-Apple or Android topic to me. It's more my opinion that innovation has become a secondary initiative to the agenda of selling "feel good" brand promise and increases in specs. In other words, for the specs, more drive space and processor speed isn't innovation. Not the kind the consumer deserves, given the amount spent on smartphones and data service. Spec-selling is what the home computing and television markets boiled down to, it allows manufacturers to make the products more disposable, given them shorter ownership life, while also delaying the strides in introducing true innovations. 

At the end of the day though, this is all enabled here in America primarily, because we make buying decisions based on emotion. Again, this is my informed opinion. The research that I do for my job centers largely on understanding consumer behavior and designing experiences for it.

4. Yeah, yeah... it's not lost on me that part of what I'm saying is idealistic. Understanding how to be a customer advocate is part of my job, and as a result, I find it very frustrating that we as consumers allow ourselves to be exploited. I definitely understand the side you are expressing and why it makes sense for the corporation, but what makes sense for them isn't always the best thing for customers. Think about how smartphone hardware compares to laptop hardware. In order to "upgrade" smartphone hardware to keep up with the pace of software demands, you have to basically get a new phone every year. It used to be similar with laptops, maybe 10 years ago, I would tear through one after another. That industry finally reached a point where you can in fact buy one, and upgrade it to keep up with software, so that the time of ownership increases substantially. Apart from my points about American consumers making emotional buying decisions, I'm saying I think, or maybe it's more fair to say I wish, that we'd get to that point. Where the hardware innovations once again parallel the software and consumers aren't manipulated into buying new as a form of upgrade. 

The simpler way to say it... it's a ******* racket. :)

Archived