Stop telling me to get an iPhone

Maxman

So Lizzie... do you actually disagree with me that Americans make emotional buying decisions? That, in general, brand matters more to them than actual performance - because even if performance is important to them, it's usually tied to their emotional connection to the brand? 

I ask, because at this point you've introduced enough splintered topics, like global sales revenue, etc., to over-shadow the fact you haven't actually acknowledged what I was saying.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not making an argument. I'm actually just pointing out the pointlessness of the Apple vs. anyone else argument. They are different products filling different demands. Energy should be put into innovation, not cultivating brand loyalty. That's the only way customers would really win in this particular market.

I'm not going to apologize for being hard on people because they refuse to discuss a topic beyond arguing left or right. This debate always comes down to canned jargon, and I don't subscribe to discussing things that way. I don't claim to know more or be any less of a dipsh*t than the next guy, but I don't think it's out-of-bounds to say "you don't get what I'm saying" when I choose not to serve up the canned retort of one side of the argument, and instead try to talk about the bigger picture only to be met with canned jargon as a response. 

I stand by the points I've made in this conversation. American consumers make emotional buying decisions, and both Apple and Android serve different emotional experiences to their respective loyalists. I'm not defending either "cult". Which, I'm sure, is why Lizzie took his ball and went home, because what do you do with a guy who won't volley back the arguments you've already learned how to counter? You walk away.

I'm not sure why you had to pop in and make some sort of personal remarks about me, without adding anything to the discussion. It's like you can't help yourself, you see someone else trying to be thoughtful in discussing something other than duh vs. duh, and you have to immediately level set it. Comes across as insecurity, especially when the first change you get in another thread you'll go out of your way to try and sound smarter than the next guy. 

For a guy who likes to talk so much crap, you're getting pretty worked up considering I was really just comparing you to everyone else.  And you may have missed it, but I made my points on the discussion quite clear before you joined in to tell everyone that they were mindless sheep.

You told folks on both sides of an argument why they were all wrong, what they think, why the think it, and how they couldn't grasp all of that.  It makes Dr. Ape's psychological evaluations a bit ironic.  Don't get me wrong, I can freely admit I can be a condescending douche at times, but even you have to know you've got no room to talk there, especially in this thread.

No worries though man, I just think your argument is off the mark here and that has nothing to do with a lack of understanding it.  Not everyone fits into these neat little boxes to which you've assigned them.  There's plenty of instances of people reaching similar conclusions for entirely different reasons, and this topic certainly qualifies.  Insisting others don't get what you're saying simply because they refuse to concede to you does nothing to help your argument, and instead has you come across as incapable of defending your position, regardless of whether that's true.  After all, for years that was the staple of the Penningtologists (sorry, couldn't resist).

All this bickering and I don't think we've solved the real question.  Should Max get an iphone?

1.) Max would be dumb to get an IPhone

2.) Max is not dumb

Next question

Did the iphone thing for 2 years and got tired of the flimsy undersized feel of it then switched to the Samsung / android choice for 2 years but never did really like the o/s or the phone that much not to mention the rip off monthly cost on both the iphone and samsung on Verizon network.

2 months ago I switched up on the advice of a friend in the industry and outright bought a Nokia Lumia Icon running Windows 8 and put a Straight  talk sim card in it an can honestly say this is the best smartphone I have ever used. For $45 per month (no contract) I get every thing that used to cost me over $100 monthly and now have an O/S that meshs completely with my windows work and home computers (it has the full suite of MS office programs included). The Nokia Icon blows away the iphone display in size and brilliance, texting is a piece of cake on the 5.5" HD screen and the service from Straight talk is perfect. Buying the phone was not cheap but after about 8 months of paying only $45 per it has been recuperated.

So Lizzie... do you actually disagree with me that Americans make emotional buying decisions? That, in general, brand matters more to them than actual performance - because even if performance is important to them, it's usually tied to their emotional connection to the brand? 

I ask, because at this point you've introduced enough splintered topics, like global sales revenue, etc., to over-shadow the fact you haven't actually acknowledged what I was saying.

Max essentially said "I like my Droid because it's better." You said he was misinformed and cited your marketing credentials for proof that he was not really interested in a superior product but brand loyalty. It's a misleading and irrelevant thought that you introduced to the discussion.

Your retort about the battery is weak, companies pour billions of dollars towards R&D for this stuff, if it were available they'd bring it out. When they stop selling product, they'll bring it out. Try as you may you are just one voice in a crowd of people that continue to feel satisfied upgrading a phone every two years. Maybe we should stop upgrading everything else in our lives that don't make a material advancement, maybe I should not trade in my car again until it can fly.

Personally yes I believe there is brand loyalty, just like there is loyalty to other non-tech products, We use Tide over Gain, Exxon over Shell, McDonalds over Burger King, Ford Truck over Chevy, and there are observable differences between each, both performance and customer service. Variety makes a market. Good companies survive and bad ones go away. Basic stuff. 

Ape just stop, 80% of the cellphone market isn't wrong. Call it blind loyalty, call it mass psychosis, whatever you need to tell yourself that it's emotional and not just product superiority driven. It's from 2013 , and it's as hard as I'm going to look tbh. 80-14 doesn't require further research.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/01/android-reaches-massive-80-market-share-windows-phone-hits-global-high-iphone-languishes/

Global smartphone shipments grew 47 percent to hit 230 million devices in the second quarter of 2013, according to a new report from research firm Strategy Analytics.

Android captured record market share of 80 percent, while iOS hit a new low of 14 percent.

Playstation and Androids rule..  Ape is probably pissed because he bought and XBox and IPhone for the same reason all those other knuckleheads do.  They think they're smarter than everyone and then have to spend countless hours justifying the purchase of their inferior products.

I'll admit the idea that people want to belong to a "club" does play a part but I'd think the majority of people are just looking for the best product and the least expensive price.  Doesn't take War and Peace to come to that conclusion.

Did the iphone thing for 2 years and got tired of the flimsy undersized feel of it then switched to the Samsung / android choice for 2 years but never did really like the o/s or the phone that much not to mention the rip off monthly cost on both the iphone and samsung on Verizon network.

2 months ago I switched up on the advice of a friend in the industry and outright bought a Nokia Lumia Icon running Windows 8 and put a Straight  talk sim card in it an can honestly say this is the best smartphone I have ever used. For $45 per month (no contract) I get every thing that used to cost me over $100 monthly and now have an O/S that meshs completely with my windows work and home computers (it has the full suite of MS office programs included). The Nokia Icon blows away the iphone display in size and brilliance, texting is a piece of cake on the 5.5" HD screen and the service from Straight talk is perfect. Buying the phone was not cheap but after about 8 months of paying only $45 per it has been recuperated.

That Windows 8 stuff is interesting, it is a shame it took them so long to get there.  They could have had a decent percentage of the market if they didn't wait so long.

If my choice was one O\S (Windows) for my desktop \ laptop \ tablet \ phone \ vibrator etc, I would consider Windows.  Much like the Apple people keep everything in the family.  But Android beat them and that is why they have so much market share.

That Windows 8 stuff is interesting, it is a shame it took them so long to get there.  They could have had a decent percentage of the market if they didn't wait so long.

If my choice was one O\S (Windows) for my desktop \ laptop \ tablet \ phone \ vibrator etc, I would consider Windows.  Much like the Apple people keep everything in the family.  But Android beat them and that is why they have so much market share.

Very true, MS was late to the party. It will take quite awhile for them to grab some market share but I think they will eventually surpass IOS to the #2 spot. Last I heard was that the next gen of Nokia smart phones will be branded as Microsoft phones (MS now owns Nokia). If you have never tried out a Nokia Lumia running windows 8 try to check one out. It is pretty darn impressive. The hardware is really top shelf, the camera and video is amazing something like 40 megapixels, and the os is smooth and intuitive.

For a guy who likes to talk so much crap, you're getting pretty worked up considering I was really just comparing you to everyone else.  And you may have missed it, but I made my points on the discussion quite clear before you joined in to tell everyone that they were mindless sheep.

You told folks on both sides of an argument why they were all wrong, what they think, why the think it, and how they couldn't grasp all of that.  It makes Dr. Ape's psychological evaluations a bit ironic.  Don't get me wrong, I can freely admit I can be a condescending douche at times, but even you have to know you've got no room to talk there, especially in this thread.

No worries though man, I just think your argument is off the mark here and that has nothing to do with a lack of understanding it.  Not everyone fits into these neat little boxes to which you've assigned them.  There's plenty of instances of people reaching similar conclusions for entirely different reasons, and this topic certainly qualifies.  Insisting others don't get what you're saying simply because they refuse to concede to you does nothing to help your argument, and instead has you come across as incapable of defending your position, regardless of whether that's true.  After all, for years that was the staple of the Penningtologists (sorry, couldn't resist).

LMFAO

I insisted that one person didn't get what I was saying, because he argued unrelated points back to me. A perfectly valid thing to say to him at that point. You turned that into typical "Ape thinks he's smarter than the world" narrative. Now you are making generalizations about me generalizing, you sound ridiculous.

Like I said, I wasn't making an "argument", I was introducing a different take on the subject. So, I have no idea what you are talking about that's "off the mark" in my so-called "argument". Are you going to really tell me that both Apple and Android DON'T make their respective owners happy? Because that's the heart of what I was getting at, and I explained some of the reasons why.

Let's be honest, that isn't why you chimed in anyway or what you chimed in about. STFU

Ape just stop, 80% of the cellphone market isn't wrong. Call it blind loyalty, call it mass psychosis, whatever you need to tell yourself that it's emotional and not just product superiority driven. It's from 2013 , and it's as hard as I'm going to look tbh. 80-14 doesn't require further research.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/01/android-reaches-massive-80-market-share-windows-phone-hits-global-high-iphone-languishes/

Global smartphone shipments grew 47 percent to hit 230 million devices in the second quarter of 2013, according to a new report from research firm Strategy Analytics.

Android captured record market share of 80 percent, while iOS hit a new low of 14 percent.

I am not arguing that the sales are balanced. I know fully well that Android out-sells iOS. I've owned and appreciated different aspects of both myself, so I have no dog in the fight. What I'm saying is that because American consumers make emotional buying decisions, it is a reality that "performance" (which was the metric we used when we started talking) can mean different things to different customer segments.

In other words, an Android with the most current hardware / software bundle may "perform" great for you, but not for your Aunt Sally. Why? Because the tasks, perception and expectations shift. This is a reality, and in the technology world perceived performance is just as viable as actual performance, because it is attached SO much to the emotional drivers of what makes a consumer loyal. Unmet expectations shift perception about how well a device performs, which results in a broken brand promise. 

So, you are resorting to telling me about global revenue and the ratio of iOS owners to Android owners, but you aren't actually getting what I was saying when we first started the conversation. Performance is contextual. Which means the best specs don't always result in the best experience or the greatest level of loyalty. I wasn't talking about which will sell more, and never argued for or against either. I was simply saying that both devices are viable, because of the fact (and it is a fact) that consumers want different things from their devices. 

It's pretty cut and dry, but with that said I'm glad we kind of veered off the reservation a little. It helped prove my other point... you throwing sales numbers at me is canned black/white Apple vs. Android (or Microsoft) debate and completely ignores what I'm actually talking about. Sorry if I asked you or anyone to look at things differently. I have to remind myself that if these types of threads don't stay on script, everyone has a ******* cow.

I am not arguing that the sales are balanced. I know fully well that Android out-sells iOS. I've owned and appreciated different aspects of both myself, so I have no dog in the fight. What I'm saying is that because American consumers make emotional buying decisions, it is a reality that "performance" (which was the metric we used when we started talking) can mean different things to different customer segments.

In other words, an Android with the most current hardware / software bundle may "perform" great for you, but not for your Aunt Sally. Why? Because the tasks, perception and expectations shift. This is a reality, and in the technology world perceived performance is just as viable as actual performance, because it is attached SO much to the emotional drivers of what makes a consumer loyal. Unmet expectations shift perception about how well a device performs, which results in a broken brand promise. 

So, you are resorting to telling me about global revenue and the ratio of iOS owners to Android owners, but you aren't actually getting what I was saying when we first started the conversation. Performance is contextual. Which means the best specs don't always result in the best experience or the greatest level of loyalty. I wasn't talking about which will sell more, and never argued for or against either. I was simply saying that both devices are viable, because of the fact (and it is a fact) that consumers want different things from their devices. 

It's pretty cut and dry, but with that said I'm glad we kind of veered off the reservation a little. It helped prove my other point... you throwing sales numbers at me is canned black/white Apple vs. Android (or Microsoft) debate and completely ignores what I'm actually talking about. Sorry if I asked you or anyone to look at things differently. I have to remind myself that if these types of threads don't stay on script, everyone has a ******* cow.

If we were having a conversation on the opinions of the 14% of the world population that doesn't use Droid as their smartphone, you would be correct. 

Max essentially said "I like my Droid because it's better." You said he was misinformed and cited your marketing credentials for proof that he was not really interested in a superior product but brand loyalty. It's a misleading and irrelevant thought that you introduced to the discussion.

Your retort about the battery is weak, companies pour billions of dollars towards R&D for this stuff, if it were available they'd bring it out. When they stop selling product, they'll bring it out. Try as you may you are just one voice in a crowd of people that continue to feel satisfied upgrading a phone every two years. Maybe we should stop upgrading everything else in our lives that don't make a material advancement, maybe I should not trade in my car again until it can fly.

Personally yes I believe there is brand loyalty, just like there is loyalty to other non-tech products, We use Tide over Gain, Exxon over Shell, McDonalds over Burger King, Ford Truck over Chevy, and there are observable differences between each, both performance and customer service. Variety makes a market. Good companies survive and bad ones go away. Basic stuff. 

Actually, I responded to Arsis. I said nothing about my marketing credentials. I simply pointed out he was comparing an operating system to hardware. At this point, you've got off the reservation... I'm not going to get into he-said, she-said with you. 

You argued for Android. Got it. I tried to talk about customer behavior, loyalty and advocacy. You tried to keep bending it back to the Android vs. Apple thing. There's nothing I can really do with you or that, I'm not going to recite the rehashed pro-Apple talking points you are looking for. It's a waste of time. 

The battery life thing is an example, btw, if it were a weak example then explain to me why battery life is a well-established talking point in every review of every smartphone, or why battery life is included in the short list of specs on every device? It's a very, very good example actually. There's an entire after-market battery industry. THAT is why there hasn't been any real innovation in battery life, there's no incentive. You call that example weak, then make a statement like the bold? LOL childish.

Actually, I responded to Arsis. I said nothing about my marketing credentials. I simply pointed out he was comparing an operating system to hardware. At this point, you've got off the reservation... I'm not going to get into he-said, she-said with you. 

You argued for Android. Got it. I tried to talk about customer behavior, loyalty and advocacy. You tried to keep bending it back to the Android vs. Apple thing. There's nothing I can really do with you or that, I'm not going to recite the rehashed pro-Apple talking points you are looking for. It's a waste of time. 

The battery life thing is an example, btw, if it were a weak example then explain to me why battery life is a well-established talking point in every review of every smartphone, or why battery life is included in the short list of specs on every device? It's a very, very good example actually. There's an entire after-market battery industry. THAT is why there hasn't been any real innovation in battery life, there's no incentive. You call that example weak, then make a statement like the bold? LOL childish.

I'm sorry if you don't like that I'm calling you out on your "loyalty/emotion/marketing conspiracy" strawman. I also am sorry that you don't think that logic should apply here in terms of responding to your ridiculous notion that smartphone batteries need to be better, now, because you said so. I also figured I'd dance around your "car didn't improve for 30 years but cellphone battery needs to improve now!" inconsistency, before I knocked you out for the count.  I feel bad that the exponential jump in cell phone technology isn't enough to satisfy you, and I find it really endearing that you're taking on the fight to the big bad tech companies, for us, the little guy. I'll pay-pal you a donation. 

If we were having a conversation on the opinions of the 14% of the world population that doesn't use Droid as their smartphone, you would be correct. 

World population? Sales figures? Again, neither of these things remotely factors into how I came into the conversation. Typical message board crap ... keep sh*tting on a conversation until it transforms into what looks like an argument you can convince yourself you won. 

So, it's clear. You know absolutely nothing about customer experience or how brands are built. That is the conversation I was trying to have with you. If you did, you wouldn't be coming across as some fraternity d-bag that 'works' on Wall Street and thinks he's got it all figured out because he can quote sales figures. 

World population? Sales figures? Again, neither of these things remotely factors into how I came into the conversation. Typical message board crap ... keep sh*tting on a conversation until it transforms into what looks like an argument you can convince yourself you won. 

So, it's clear. You know absolutely nothing about customer experience or how brands are built. That is the conversation I was trying to have with you. If you did, you wouldn't be coming across as some fraternity d-bag that 'works' on Wall Street and thinks he's got it all figured out because he can quote sales figures. 

Ok big guy.

borat-thumbs-up-very-nice.jpg

I'm sorry if you don't like that I'm calling you out on your "loyalty/emotion/marketing conspiracy" strawman. I also am sorry that you don't think that logic should apply here in terms of responding to your ridiculous notion that smartphone batteries need to be better, now, because you said so. I also figured I'd dance around your "car didn't improve for 30 years but cellphone battery needs to improve now!" inconsistency, before I knocked you out for the count.  I feel bad that the exponential jump in cell phone technology isn't enough to satisfy you, and I find it really endearing that you're taking on the fight to the big bad tech companies, for us, the little guy. I'll pay-pal you a donation. 

You haven't called me out on anything - and entire industries are not built around "strawman arguments" you dope. What you've done is exhibited a complete inability to consider and discuss customer experience, thus forfeiting a chance to gain new understanding. It's fine, I don't know why I expected otherwise from you... I should know by now that it's the internet and conversations can't happen here, it always has to be turned into a black/white debate in which someone has to win. Whether on merit or by introducing new variables until they can convince themselves they won. Happens here all day, every day. :)

You haven't called me out on anything - and entire industries are not built around "strawman arguments" you dope. What you've done is exhibited a complete inability to consider and discuss customer experience, thus forfeiting a chance to gain new understanding. It's fine, I don't know why I expected otherwise from you... I should know by now that it's the internet and conversations can't happen here, it always has to be turned into a black/white debate in which someone has to win. Whether on merit or by introducing new variables until they can convince themselves they won. Happens here all day, every day. :)

Sorry sir, you came in here and stated the whole board was wrong about the topic of discussion, and have been working with remarkable fervor to convince us that "Apple and Android are generally equals" and that it's a matter of personal preference and loyalty. Except that's not true by a 66% margin, but I'm just some frat bro with an MBA who doesn't see the forest for the trees. You win dude.

I'll admit the idea that people want to belong to a "club" does play a part but I'd think the majority of people are just looking for the best product and the least expensive price.  Doesn't take War and Peace to come to that conclusion.

I agree, but what I foolishly tried to discuss here is the idea that "best product" or "performance" is contextual and is primarily defined by customer needs. It's very different than hardware specs, and is more about the device "doing what they want or need it to do".

Sorry sir, you came in here and stated the whole board was wrong about the topic of discussion, and have been working with remarkable fervor to convince us that "Apple and Android are generally equals" and that it's a matter of personal preference and loyalty. Except that's not true by a 66% margin, but I'm just some frat bro with an MBA who doesn't see the forest for the trees. You win dude.

I said they were peers in delivering on the promise of performance to their customers, because performance is contextual and not always about tech specs. User research, customer satisfaction research, this is the type of thing that backs this up. Not sales figures. I didn't need you to tell me Androids out-sell iPhones. My 15 year old niece knows that. MBA lol.

Under absolutely no circumstances did I come in here and say they were "equals" in terms of global sales. That was your angle, and it had nothing to do with what I was talking about. So, as I said, you kept contorting things until you had an angle that made you feel "right". Puff out your chest, you won on the internet, even though the original conversation went right over your head.

I agree, but what I foolishly tried to discuss here is the idea that "best product" or "performance" is contextual and is primarily defined by customer needs. It's very different than hardware specs, and is more about the device "doing what they want or need it to do".

What needs does an iPhone meet that an Android doesn't? I'm really asking. And I don't particularly care who gets what.

I said they were peers in delivering on the promise of performance to their customers, because performance is contextual and not always about tech specs. User research, customer satisfaction research, this is the type of thing that backs this up. Not sales figures. I didn't need you to tell me Androids out-sell iPhones. My 15 year old niece knows that. MBA lol.

Under absolutely no circumstances did I come in here and say they were "equals" in terms of global sales. That was your angle, and it had nothing to do with what I was talking about. So, as I said, you kept contorting things until you had an angle that made you feel "right". Puff out your chest, you won on the internet, even though the original conversation went right over your head.

I'll say it for the fifth time. Sales and market share are the single best metric of "who's better than who" that you, me, or a five year old could point out. To argue that they're essentially equals in product quality,  etc, is just totally inaccurate.

Don't be sour, I said you won.

interesting way of saying that

I'll say it for the fifth time. Sales and market share are the single best metric of "who's better than who" that you, me, or a five year old could point out. To argue that they're essentially equals in product quality,  etc, is just totally inaccurate.

Don't be sour, I said you won.

Using sales figures to determine "who's better then who" measures many things besides the quality of the product, by your measure, Justin Bieber is better them Miles Davis

Using sales figures to determine "who's better then who" measures many things besides the quality of the product, by your measure, Justin Bieber is better them Miles Davis

You can't lump art and technology. Also, two different generations.

LMFAO

I insisted that one person didn't get what I was saying, because he argued unrelated points back to me. A perfectly valid thing to say to him at that point. You turned that into typical "Ape thinks he's smarter than the world" narrative. Now you are making generalizations about me generalizing, you sound ridiculous.

Like I said, I wasn't making an "argument", I was introducing a different take on the subject. So, I have no idea what you are talking about that's "off the mark" in my so-called "argument". Are you going to really tell me that both Apple and Android DON'T make their respective owners happy? Because that's the heart of what I was getting at, and I explained some of the reasons why.

Let's be honest, that isn't why you chimed in anyway or what you chimed in about. STFU

Your appearance in this thread was to declare that those who entered this argument were all wrong simply for doing so.  That's not "a different take", it's nonsense, and to make such a statement on a message board of all places removes any merit it could have had on general principle.  Although I do appreciate that your response to my noting your tendency to make statements about what others think and why, was to tell me what I think and why.

Frankly, I'm not even sure how to respond to this assertion that your presentation of an opposing viewpoint isn't an "argument", particularly given your attempts to be so condescending about it.  Arguing semantics is pretty lame, doing so incorrectly is just plain funny.

ar·gu·ment noun \ˈär-gyə-mənt\

: a statement or series of statements for or against something

: a discussion in which people express different opinions about something

: an angry disagreement

You can't lump art and technology. Also, two different generations.

Yes I can..

Bieber is better then pat Methany

McDonalds makes a better burger then <insert crushers favorite hamburger joint>

Russel Wilson is better then Manning (more jerseys sold)

Toyota Camery is a better car then an Audi

JetsInsider is a better board the JetNation

etc..

Archived