10 best FA's left. Why not Asante Samuel?

GREENBEAN

Cool little article from NFL.com.   I would feel pretty good if they brought Asante Samuel in to camp. CB is still an issue no matter what Mcdougle may or may not do this season. Adding a vet like him would be a smart move IMO.

I'm also hoping they bring Reed back in as well. Depth and mentor the new kid. Much worse ideas out there I think. 

June 1 used to be a big date in the NFL. For salary cap reasons, teams would often hold on to costly veterans until June 1 before cutting them and spreading out a cap hit over two years. That's no longer necessary.

0ap2000000350274.jpg
Watch "The Top 100 Players of 2014" every week at 9 p.m. ET on NFL Network as we count down to the top player in the NFL. "The Top 100 Players of 2014 Reactions" airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET.

There will be no secondary wave of free agency created this week, but the date still holds some meaning. Teams can sign players without having it affect their compensatory picks; that's why New Orleans waited until Monday to pick up center Jonathan Goodwin.

The start of June got us thinking, however, about what notable players still remain available on the free-agent market. Here are 10 notable players still available:

1. Jermichael Finley, tight end: He would have been a top-five player on our Top 101 free agents list back in February if he was fully healthy. There simply isn't another young, above-average starter still on the market.

Finley's injury, however, is career-threatening. Finley's doctor has medically cleared him to play, but it appears that teams don't agree. At least not yet. The Seahawks have ruled out signing Finley. He recently worked out for the Patriots, but there's a chance that the tight end will be forced to accept an insurance settlement that ends his career. If he's cleared to play again, he could make a difference in a playoff push. He stands apart on this list.

2. Kevin Williams, defensive tackle: Like Richard Seymour a year ago, Williams might not be eager to take a huge pay cut in order to be a part-time player. The six-time Pro Bowl player could still help a team as a rotation player. It wouldn't be a shock if Williams signed after training camps were underway.

3. Santonio Holmes, wide receiver:The talent should still be there at age 30. Motivation is a big reason why teams have not called Holmes up this offseason. Word travels fast around the NFL.

4. Asante Samuel, cornerback: He's past his prime as a cornerback, but Samuel still gave league-average snaps in coverage last year. That should be worth a roster spot somewhere.

5. Dustin Keller, tight end: He's the poor man's Finley in this market. He has big injury risk coming off torn knee ligaments, but he doesn't have quite as much upside as Finley.

6. Travelle Wharton, guard: He was re-born in Carolina as a quality starter. All signs point to him retiring despite job offers out there.

7. James Harrison, linebacker: The one-time Defensive Player of the Year is looking for work as a role player. He fit in as a run-stopper last year in Cincinnati.

0ap2000000343119.jpg

8. Paris Lenon, linebacker: He was one of our favorite stories from Super Bowl week last year, the ultimate journeyman who wound up starting the big game. He should still be able to handle a team.

9. Josh Freeman, quarterback: How has he fallen so far, so fast? The Giants chose to keep Curtis Painter over him. Freeman's career seemingly can't end here, and we haven't given up hope on a successful reboot elsewhere.

10. Ed Reed, safety: It's not a good sign when Rex Ryandoesn't particularly want him back. Reed's Hall of Fame career might just fade away from lack of interest.

anybody still on the shelf is either shot, or they have a big gap between what they think they are worth and their real value

most won't get signed unless the wake up and change their demands, or an injury happens

You are not serious about Samuel, right?

Sure.  a Vet min deal would be fine to have some vet ins on the team. Then again I still think we should have re signed Cro so… there's that. 

I still get a kick out of the fact we drafted McWhoogle like three rounds too early and everyone's like, "huh?  Uhhhh....yeah...that guy.  He's good, right?  Sure he is.  Very good!  He's gonna be awesome!  Great pick!  Great pick!"  Even ESPN announcers were like, "Mcwhaaa?  Did you even have him on your board?" then realizing they were dogging a draftee they suddenly decided he was "really fast".  

If they can stay healthy, the Jets have more than enough at corner, already. Patterson and Patrick are NFL contributors added to a group that lost Cromartie and Trufant. Then you add in two draft picks. This area is not currently a need.

This team finally got young and you guys want to sign every old piece of sh*t that is on the market.  This is the NFL, younger is better.  

1 year stopgaps are part of pretty much every roster in the league.  None of the guys on that sh*tty list are starter material, just rotational guys.  If they brought in Wharton or another guard for depth after the Colon injury that would be a decent move.

If they can stay healthy, the Jets have more than enough at corner, already. Patterson and Patrick are NFL contributors added to a group that lost Cromartie and Trufant. Then you add in two draft picks. This area is not currently a need.

Still early to say that. I have a lot of confidence in Milliner, who not only came on at the end of last year, but actually played at the level of a top NFL CB to finish the season. I think the Jets have a lot of bodies to fill out nickel and dime packages as well. The problem is the every down starter opposite Milliner. Hopefully "competition" takes care of that, but it's still an area of legitimate concern.

1 year stopgaps are part of pretty much every roster in the league.  None of the guys on that sh*tty list are starter material, just rotational guys.  If they brought in Wharton or another guard for depth after the Colon injury that would be a decent move.

We signed our stopgaps already.  Colon, Patterson, Giacomini, Ford, Vick.  I like that the roster got younger, but loading up on these geezers can hurt.  IMO it will hurt the roster in the long run.  The good thing about some of these guys is that they will be FAs after you see what you have and can still sign them if necessary.  For instance if Colon isn't back. FWIW, Colon just got scoped and should be back by the 4th of July.  Not generally a big deal to miss the start of camp for a vet. 

Still early to say that. I have a lot of confidence in Milliner, who not only came on at the end of last year, but actually played at the level of a top NFL CB to finish the season. I think the Jets have a lot of bodies to fill out nickel and dime packages as well. The problem is the every down starter opposite Milliner. Hopefully "competition" takes care of that, but it's still an area of legitimate concern.

You really can't have enough corners.  It's a bit of a "turnstile" position, and we've seen firsthand with Wilson and Milliner just how long it takes for rookie/young CB's to start to figure things out. 

We signed our stopgaps already.  Colon, Patterson, Ford, Vick.  I like that the roster got younger, but loading up on these geezers can hurt.  IMO it will hurt the roster in the long run.  The good thing about some of these guys is that they will be around until you see what you have and can sign them if necessary, for instance if Colon isn't back. FWIW, Colon just got scoped and should be back by the 4th of July.  Not generally a big deal for a vet. 

It only hurts the roster if the "old geezers" take up a roster spot that a young, talented kid could have.  Bringing them in as camp bodies?  Not a big deal.

I still get a kick out of the fact we drafted McWhoogle like three rounds too early and everyone's like, "huh?  Uhhhh....yeah...that guy.  He's good, right?  Sure he is.  Very good!  He's gonna be awesome!  Great pick!  Great pick!"  Even ESPN announcers were like, "Mcwhaaa?  Did you even have him on your board?" then realizing they were dogging a draftee they suddenly decided he was "really fast".  

Not really. He had a 3rd round grade unless ur name is sirlancemehlot. Probably should read up on his scouting report. He had a jump start to the season with 3 picks in 3 games, and the only reason why he wasn't a 1st rounder was because he got hurt after that. I don't know many analyst that would pass up the opportunity to bash the Jets continuously if we had reached for him.

Not really. He had a 3rd round grade unless ur name is sirlancemehlot. Probably should read up on his scouting report. He had a jump start to the season with 3 picks in 3 games, and the only reason why he wasn't a 1st rounder was because he got hurt after that. I don't know many analyst that would pass up the opportunity to bash the Jets continuously if we had reached for him.

Bit of a stretch, no?  nfl.com projected 6-7,  cbssports.com 6th, nfldraftscout.com 6, high of 3-4, low priority FA for medical reasons. I have seen people say he was a 2nd before he got hurt, but he got hurt.  I don't see complaining about a "reach".  I like it better when they pick somebody unusual. You are not going to have a great draft by taking the Kiper/Mayock consensus pick.  I'd hope our scouts are better than that.

Riiiight.  It's just me then.  My bad.

Archived