2014 World Cup - Brazil

Jetsfan80

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people are impressed by Germany because of the 7-1 win. But if you look at their goals the Brazilian defense was napping the entire game. You do not see such uncontested goals in the penalty box.

Now if you think about it Germany has a vulnerable defense. Their defense looked very ordinary against Ghana and Algeria. And now they have to contend with defending Messi. Think Argentina has the upper hand in the Final.

A snoozefest of a game. I don't really like Argentina to be honest, they have been terrible to watch all tournament.

Holland have gone two games without scoring but they were denied by an incredible goalkeeping performance against Costa Rica (not to mention two shots off the woodwork) and they were the only team that actually tried to score today.

Most people are impressed by Germany because of the 7-1 win. But if you look at their goals the Brazilian defense was napping the entire game. You do not see such uncontested goals in the penalty box.

Now if you think about it Germany has a vulnerable defense. Their defense looked very ordinary against Ghana and Algeria. And now they have to contend with defending Messi. Think Argentina has the upper hand in the Final.

Maybe, but Argentina has not looked nearly as good as a team at any point in this Cup. And I don't think Germany will do anything remotely like what the Dutch did today. This was Messi's least productive game on the stat sheet, but the Dutch had a perception of him and what he commanded on the field, because of that perception won Argentina the game. The Germans do not play that crap. The Dutch had Nigel de Jong on him all game no matter where he went, and they sacrificed their entire forward line to keep 2 other guys pinned back for the whole game.

That's pretty much why this was the most boring game of the Cup. When one team plays like that, it ruins both teams' chances of attacking. Dumb strategy too, because the Dutch easily has the horses to compete if Messi scored a couple goals.

Germany does not play that way. I think they will probably approach Argentina similarly as they did Brazil because they have to take the crowd out of the game. They like to meet you right at what your strengths are, but most importantly the Germans play to attack at all times. They score and pass more than anybody on this stage. They are not going to throw that strategy away to emulate the Dutch when it wasn't successful.

Realistic is the word.

Reality is different to everyone depending on the perspective.  Both of us agree we have a long ways to go to becoming a world power.  Neither of us agree on how we should reflect on this year's accomplishments. 

This is what I focus on:

1.  We had our most dominant CONCACAF/WC qualifying run in program history.  This is vital, because we no longer are playing 2nd fiddle to Mexico.  It's also a big deal in retrospect considering how well 2 teams we topped, Mexico and Costa Rica, performed in the World Cup.

2.  We were not given a chance to make it out of the "Group of Death".  In retrospect, our group was the 2nd toughest behind Group D (Costa Rica, Uruguay, Italy, England).  And looking back, a big reason our group was so difficult was WE were in it.  To the rest of the world we're pests because we don't go away easily like some other powerhouse teams in this WC did.  We beat Ghana, a tough team that's been a thorn in our sides for years and should have made the Semi-finals in 2010 (they also drew with Germany before infighting killed their chances against Portugal).  It took a miracle cross for the # 4 team in the world, Portugal, just to draw with us.  And of course, the best team in the tournament has been Germany, and despite significant travel fatigue we gave them all they could handle.  Nothing to be disappointed in with our group play efforts.  It doesn't matter that we only won 1 match.  When teams like Spain, England and Italy don't make it out of their groups and we do, there's reason to be very pleased.

3.  Three young talents emerged in Green, Yedlin and Brooks.  We needed this to occur because of how much stock Jurgen put in young talent.  Their development will be fascinating to watch when the Gold Cup and Copa America come around, and should set us up very nicely for 2018. 

Reality is different to everyone depending on the perspective.  Both of us agree we have a long ways to go to becoming a world power.  Neither of us agree on how we should reflect on this year's accomplishments. 

This is what I focus on:

1.  We had our most dominant CONCACAF/WC qualifying run in program history.  This is vital, because we no longer are playing 2nd fiddle to Mexico.  It's also a big deal in retrospect considering how well 2 teams we topped, Mexico and Costa Rica, performed in the World Cup.

2.  We were not given a chance to make it out of the "Group of Death".  In retrospect, our group was the 2nd toughest behind Group D (Costa Rica, Uruguay, Italy, England).  And looking back, a big reason our group was so difficult was WE were in it.  To the rest of the world we're pests because we don't go away easily like some other powerhouse teams in this WC did.  We beat Ghana, a tough team that's been a thorn in our sides for years and should have made the Semi-finals in 2010 (they also drew with Germany before infighting killed their chances against Portugal).  It took a miracle cross for the # 4 team in the world, Portugal, just to draw with us.  And of course, the best team in the tournament has been Germany, and despite significant travel fatigue we gave them all they could handle.  Nothing to be disappointed in with our group play efforts.  It doesn't matter that we only won 1 match.  When teams like Spain, England and Italy don't make it out of their groups and we do, there's reason to be very pleased.

3.  Three young talents emerged in Green, Yedlin and Brooks.  We needed this to occur because of how much stock Jurgen put in young talent.  Their development will be fascinating to watch when the Gold Cup and Copa America come around, and should set us up very nicely for 2018. 

Germany could have beaten us 3, 4-0 if they wanted to. That game wasnt close and neither was the Belgium game. Stop. Please. There's nothing worse than an overly sensitive American soccer fan...you make us look silly. The team still isnt close to where it needs to be.

Germany could have beaten us 3, 4-0 if they wanted to.

But they didn't.  If they had we wouldn't have made it out so I don't see why you're pushing a "They called the dogs off" narrative when there was no reason to take their foot off the pedal.

But they didn't.  If they had we wouldn't have made it out so I don't see why you're pushing a "They called the dogs off" narrative when there was no reason to take their foot off the pedal.

Of course there was considering they clinched the 1 seed already and the relationship between the coaches. Everyone enjoyed seeing Brazil get embarrassed.

this statement is disrespectful to Tim Howard

Bingo.  Belgium should have scored about 5 goals on us if it weren't for Tim.  Having the ability to pepper a goalie with shots is nice, but the US produces top-flight GK's.  It's our best export in this sport.

Maybe, but Argentina has not looked nearly as good as a team at any point in this Cup. And I don't think Germany will do anything remotely like what the Dutch did today. This was Messi's least productive game on the stat sheet, but the Dutch had a perception of him and what he commanded on the field, because of that perception won Argentina the game. The Germans do not play that crap. The Dutch had Nigel de Jong on him all game no matter where he went, and they sacrificed their entire forward line to keep 2 other guys pinned back for the whole game.

That's pretty much why this was the most boring game of the Cup. When one team plays like that, it ruins both teams' chances of attacking. Dumb strategy too, because the Dutch easily has the horses to compete if Messi scored a couple goals.

Germany does not play that way. I think they will probably approach Argentina similarly as they did Brazil because they have to take the crowd out of the game. They like to meet you right at what your strengths are, but most importantly the Germans play to attack at all times. They score and pass more than anybody on this stage. They are not going to throw that strategy away to emulate the Dutch when it wasn't successful.

The German defense is a whole lot weaker than the Dutch defense.

It would be interesting to see how they defend Messi. If Messi is opening it up at will it would be interesting to see how Yogi reacts.

The German defense is a whole lot weaker than the Dutch defense.

It would be interesting to see how they defend Messi. If Messi is opening it up at will it would be interesting to see how Yogi reacts.

Messi will get some openings to do his thing. He was blanked yesterday because the Dutch sacrificed everything to stop him, including their chances at winning. Germany doesn't switch up what they do for anybody.

Look bit you're just going to have to face reality and come to grips with the stone cold fact that the Germans had a secret agreement with us to shoot those 20 balls closer to his hands so they wouldn't beat us too badly.

13 shots (9 on goal, forcing 8 Howard saves), 63 % possession, called for offsides 7 times......yeah, those numbers are the mark of a team colluding and/or taking their feet off the pedal.

They had more shots against us that match than they had against France.

Messi will get some openings to do his thing. He was blanked yesterday because the Dutch sacrificed everything to stop him, including their chances at winning. Germany doesn't switch up what they do for anybody.

Thats the most likely way they start. And that why i expect Argentina to be a lot more lethal. Add to that the weak German defense and I think its not going to be a cakewalk that people are expecting it to be for Germany.

Thats the most likely way they start. And that why i expect Argentina to be a lot more lethal. Add to that the weak German defense and I think its not going to be a cakewalk that people are expecting it to be for Germany.

I don't think it will be a cakewalk either. However I do think yesterday's win was more a product of the Dutch handing Argentina the game. Don't get me wrong, Zabaleta and Mascherano were both brilliant yesterday, but that was the worst coaching job of the Cup. Even down to the shootout, where van Gaal had used up all his substitutions and couldn't bring Krul out.

I don't think it will be a cakewalk either. However I do think yesterday's win was more a product of the Dutch handing Argentina the game. Don't get me wrong, Zabaleta and Mascherano were both brilliant yesterday, but that was the worst coaching job of the Cup. Even down to the shootout, where van Gaal had used up all his substitutions and couldn't bring Krul out.

As far as worst coaching job is concerned dont slight the efforts of the Brazilian coach. ;)

I never understood the use of substitutes and also the order in which the kicks were taken by the Dutch. Just baffling. But I guess the soccer Gods do believe in justice because the Dutch did not score a single goal in the last two games and it would have been an abomination if they went to the Finals.

Germany is a completely different team now with Lahm back in his natural position and Khedira and Schweinsteiger both healthy in midfield. I think it'll be a closer game than people think and they're vulnerable opposite Lahm but you can't really compare it to the earlier games.

Germany win, as expected.

My team of the tournament:

GK Neuer: best keeper in the world alongside Courtois. Maybe Germany's best player? Always had the feeling that it was gonna take something special to beat him. Huge game against Algeria.

RB Fabian Johnson: i'm biased, but i thought he was really consistent for us and did a great job against Ronaldo

CB Hummels: world class defender, also scored in the big matches against Portugal and France

CB Vlaar: rock solid for Holland throughout and their best player in the semi final

LB Daley Blind: smart, versatile player...i was really impressed by him

CM Mascherano: Argentina's best player by far.

CM Kroos: world class midfielder, great vision, amazing passer. I'd put him alongside Neuer as Germany's best player.

RM Muller: great passer, finisher, works hard off the ball. The kind of player all winning teams need

AM James Rodriguez: top scorer but more importantly showed great vision, passing and finishing ability

LM Robben: terrifying presence, a nightmare to defend; even in extra time (never gets tired), and very good at winning fouls

F Benzema: the best striker in the tournament for me. a complete striker, can play with back to goal, hold the ball up, can run at defenders, can shoot, can pass, etc.

i'd lineup like this in a 4-3-3

------------------------ Neuer ---------

--- Johnson --- Hummels ---- Vlaar --- Blind ---

-------------------- Mascherano --------------

---------------- Kroos ------- James ---------------

------ Muller --------------------------- Robben -----

--------------------- Benzema ---------------------

Archived