Jace Amaro frustrated after tough practice

F.Chowds

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- You don’t want to stand out the way rookie tight end Jace Amaro did in Wednesday’s organized team activity. He had a number of ugly drops and looked lost at times in the offense, something New York Jets coach Rex Ryan didn’t have to be prompted to address in his post-practice news conference. 

ncf_u_jaceamaro_ap_65.jpg
Amaro

“All you’ve got to do is look at Jace,” Ryan said. “Jace had like three drops today. And I’m like wait a second, he did catch 106 balls right? But, he had three drops and that’s where clearly a guy is thinking so much that all of a sudden you lose the focus on what Job 1 is: catch the football.” 

At 6-foot-5 and 265 pounds, Amaro is a bigger receiving tight end than the Jets have had in the past. He left after his junior year at Texas Tech, and the Jets nabbed him in the second round of the draft. There is a lot of promise in that frame, but Amaro sat at his locker after practice and had disappointment etched on his face. 

“It’s been fun out there, but I have to make sure I get better,” Amaro said. “Today, just have to make sure you’re getting better at routes. I’m just overthinking a little too much on the plays and stuff like that.” 

As annoyed as Ryan was with Amaro’s performance, he was able to put it into context. It’s not like the Jets are preparing for the first game of the season -- it’s June. This is the time to make mistakes. 

“It wasn’t a good thing, but, he’s really been looking good until today,” Ryan said. “There (are) moments with each guy and you can say some real positive things and then you’ve got some with growing pains.” 

That didn’t take the sting out for Amaro. 

“I have high standards,” Amaro said. “I could have stayed and just just been comfortable for one more year, but I chose not to and I’m ready for the challenge.”

Don't worry, the Idz is the shiz and gotz dis!

Some of these douches are really quick to judge especially when it comes to rookies learning a new pro-offense in the NFL.. He will do fine, he just needs to learn that system!

Some of these douches are really quick to judge especially when it comes to rookies learning a new pro-offense in the NFL.. He will do fine, he just needs to learn that system!

Sarcasm. Its whats happening in this thread.

Some of these douches are really quick to judge especially when it comes to rookies learning a new pro-offense in the NFL.. He will do fine, he just needs to learn that system!

So, was "catching" not part of the "system" at Tech?

"catching" was, just not on the football field. 

Yeah he caught plenty of balls just with routes that my dog with a broken leg could run with a dangling steak in front of him! I am guessing Idzik & Morningwig knew of his smarts to pick up this offense.... I hope.....

“All you’ve got to do is look at Jace,” Ryan said. “Jace had like three drops today. And I’m like wait a second, he did catch 106 balls right? But, he had three drops and that’s where clearly a guy is thinking so much that all of a sudden you lose the focus on what Job 1 is: catch the football.” 

I stand corrected. Rex clearly has a masterful grasp of offensive football.

It was a "simple" system of "simple" routes that our new TE has been doing in the past at Tech.. If he is being critized, this is why from the facts but as I stated before, have faith he will be fine!

Sarcasm. Its whats happening in this thread.

Excuse me if what’s being read isn’t what’s being meant.. It sometimes hard to tell especially when I can’t tell who’s a fan or who just plainly has lost faith.. Being a Jet fan isn’t easy but damn some of these so calls have me doubting their loyalty! (Just an observation)

Cause you had a bad day

You're taking one down

You sing a sad song just to turn it around

You say you don't know

You tell me don't lie

You work at a smile and you go for a ride

You had a bad day

The camera don't lie

You're coming back down and you really don't mind

You had a bad day

You had a bad day

Cause you had a bad day

You're taking one down

You sing a sad song just to turn it around

You say you don't know

You tell me don't lie

You work at a smile and you go for a ride

You had a bad day

The camera don't lie

You're coming back down and you really don't mind

You had a bad day

You had a bad day

+1

It was a "simple" system of "simple" routes that our new TE has been doing in the past at Tech.. If he is being critized, this is why from the facts but as I stated before, have faith he will be fine!

there is really no option but for us to have faith. so i'm with you there.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- You don’t want to stand out the way rookie tight end Jace Amaro did in Wednesday’s organized team activity. He had a number of ugly drops and looked lost at times in the offense, something New York Jets coach Rex Ryan didn’t have to be prompted to address in his post-practice news conference. 

ncf_u_jaceamaro_ap_65.jpg
Amaro

At 6-foot-5 and 265 pounds, Amaro is a bigger receiving tight end than the Jets have had in the past. He left after his junior year at Texas Tech, and the Jets nabbed him in the second round of the draft. There is a lot of promise in that frame, but Amaro sat at his locker after practice and had disappointment etched on his face. 

“It’s been fun out there, but I have to make sure I get better,” Amaro said. “Today, just have to make sure you’re getting better at routes. I’m just overthinking a little too much on the plays and stuff like that.” 

As annoyed as Ryan was with Amaro’s performance, he was able to put it into context. It’s not like the Jets are preparing for the first game of the season -- it’s June. This is the time to make mistakes. 

“It wasn’t a good thing, but, he’s really been looking good until today,” Ryan said. “There (are) moments with each guy and you can say some real positive things and then you’ve got some with growing pains.” 

That didn’t take the sting out for Amaro. 

“I have high standards,” Amaro said. “I could have stayed and just just been comfortable for one more year, but I chose not to and I’m ready for the challenge.”

bust

Maintaining the proud tradition of Jet Tight ends.

As a Jets fan it's hard not to think this.

Bring back silly putty knee Keller. 

"catching" was, just not on the football field. 

Drops in OTAs are meaningless, but the guy is 6'5" 265 and I have bigger hands. 

He stinks it is over Rex sucks the life out of the offense

I hate Jets fans. 

Archived