PFF: Jets rank among bottom third in talent

F.Chowds

The folks at Pro Football Focus have ranked every roster in the NFL, using a color-coded system to grade each starter. The stats-based website isn't high on the New York Jets, placing them at No. 23 in the rankings. 

Wow, tough crowd over there at PFF. The Jets' encouraging finish last season, coupled with a few high-profile acquisitions in the offseason, apparently had little impact on its overall evaluation, which says: 

"The Jets will be helped immeasurably if Geno Smith starts 2014 the way he finished his rookie season. A raw college prospect, Smith was never really supposed to see the field as a rookie, and the -27.4 PFF grade he amassed by Week 13 reflects that. Over the final month of the season, however, he posted a +7.2 grade, which would have ranked him among the league's better passers if he had performed at that level all four months instead of one. 

"Adding Eric Decker should be a major boost to an anemic receiving corps, although Chris Johnson seems unlikely to be a consistent upgrade at running back. The Jets' defensive line is formidable, especially against the run, but there is still a lack of edge rush and the team needs to generate pressure in creative ways. Dee Milliner, like Smith at quarterback, ended the year far better than he began it, and all signs suggest he could be much improved in 2014." 

PFF ranks the players into eight different categories, with "elite" being the best of the best. No players from the Jets are listed in that category, and rightly so. I think they have a handful of very good players, but no one is elite at his position. Here's the full breakdown, per PFF: 

Elite: N/A 

High QualityDamon HarrisonSheldon RichardsonMuhammad WilkersonMy take: I think you need to be a three-down player to belong in this category, and Harrison is a two-down, run-stuffing nose tackle. 

Good starter: Eric Decker, <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9590/d" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9590/d" brickashaw-ferguson"="">D'Brickashaw FergusonJeremy KerleyNick MangoldDimitri PattersonMy take: Patterson? The man has missed 33 of his last 48 games. This is too high for him. I'm OK with the others, although Mangold is worthy of a bump up. 

Average starterWillie ColonDavid HarrisBreno GiacominiChris Ivory, Dee Milliner, Kyle WilsonDawan LandryMy takeHarris is better than average. Milliner needs to be better than average for the Jets to have any chance. 

Below average starterQuinton CoplesJeff Cumberland, Chris Johnson, Geno Smith, Demario Davis and Calvin PaceMy take: I disagree with Johnson. If he's healthy, he's a lot better than below average. Obviously, PFF believes Pace's 10-sack season was a fluke. Smith is the key, of course. If he can jump two categories, the Jets will be a playoff team. 

Poor starterStephen HillBrian WintersMy take: Hard to dispute the selections, based on 2013 performance.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any 1 takes there opinion as a fact i seriously dont want to conversate with you.

If your judging talent then we're not talking success or production but athleticism, speed, strength, & quickness.

The pats aren't more talented then alot of teams but are better and more successful

you  get what you pay for in this  world

it should not be surprising that a team with 20+ mil in cap space (not counting the 10+ dead space in Sanchez and Holmes) is considered talent  poor. 

it's just another reason to praise Rex Ryan. He's making Chicken Salad out of you know what. 

you get what you pay for in this world

it should not be surprising that a team with 20+ mil in cap space (not counting the 10+ dead space in Sanchez and Holmes) is considered talent poor.

it's just another reason to praise Rex Ryan. He's making Chicken Salad out of you know what.

Oh god. This is seriously gonna be your angle for the entire year isn't it.

The Jets have to be one of the youngest teams in the NFL at this point. They had a lot of young/rookie starters last year, who improved as the year went on. Milliner finished the year as a high quality starter, Coples was somewhere between average and good, Geno and Winters reached average. This year hinges on those guys picking up where they left off, and continuing to improve. Positive contributions from their top three draft picks (shoring up the two worst units on the team last year) would also go a long way.

I don't think this article is particularly unfair, but I'm also not all that concerned about it.

lol. If people started being high on us, we'd be so confused about what to do. 

For sure. But I have to say one thing. The Jets players themselves need to rid themselves of the 'I'm not worthy mode' which seems to pop up every time people jump ON their bandwagon and expectations go upward. A good example is how they were smacked in the mouth in Buffalo after a HUGE win over New Orleans AND A BYE week to prepare. People picked them to win and what happened......a resounding thud.

it should not be surprising that a team with 20+ mil in cap space (not counting the 10+ dead space in Sanchez and Holmes) is considered talent  poor. 

You know what man. I finally agree with you. I was down on Rex last season for the 'circus season' he brought with Sparano and Tebow, but he really did do a magnificent coaching job last year. Now lets see what he can do when people expect something good with no excuses. I would not have put Winters in the 'poor' category either although he struggled he got better as the season wore on, much like rookies will. I would downgrade Coples however - this guy shows me nothing.

Geno and Winters reached average. 

if a guy has a terrible awful no good season and then has a couple good games at the end, it's a bit of a stretch to call him average. Both players grade out as the worst at their respective positions. That's not average. 

When all is said and done, do you think Rex will get an honorary super bowl in lieu of the ones Tannenbaum and Idzik took from him?

if a guy has a terrible awful no good season and then has a couple good games at the end, it's a bit of a stretch to call him average. Both players grade out as the worst at their respective positions. That's not average.

I didn't say they graded out as average for the season, I said they were playing at that level to finish the year. Which I don't think is a stretch at all, but a fair assessment. But thanks for the unnecessary correction. No one here ever mentions that Geno and Winters had poor seasons overall. Good reminder!

When all is said and done, do you think Rex will get an honorary super bowl in lieu of the ones Tannenbaum and Idzik took from him?

When all is said and done I think he will get a real one. the question is whether it's here or somewhere else. He's an excellent coach that this forum craps all over, for no real reason other than looking for someone to hit. 

When all is said and done I think he will get a real one. the question is whether it's here or somewhere else. He's an excellent coach that this forum craps all over, for no real reason other than looking for someone to hit.

He's an awful head coach who looks better the further he gets from having to perform tasks that head coaches do.

I don't have any general problem with this. The team was not very good last year, so the rankings are deserved.  We are banking on rookies and improvements from young players.  The hope is that Geno, Milliner, Winters, Allen, Amaro, Pryor and possibly McDougle are big upgrades over last season.  In a rating system like this adding Decker for Holmes is basically a push, while in reality it is probably a huge upgrade.  I'd also argue that WIlkerson is elite.  He is certainly on the borderline. He's not JJ Watt, but are they only listing one guy?  Johnson seems like a adequate starter, but it's just quibbling.

Archived