•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PFF: Jets rank among bottom third in talent

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 F.Chowds

F.Chowds

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

The folks at Pro Football Focus have ranked every roster in the NFL, using a color-coded system to grade each starter. The stats-based website isn't high on the New York Jets, placing them at No. 23 in the rankings. 

Wow, tough crowd over there at PFF. The Jets' encouraging finish last season, coupled with a few high-profile acquisitions in the offseason, apparently had little impact on its overall evaluation, which says: 

"The Jets will be helped immeasurably if Geno Smith starts 2014 the way he finished his rookie season. A raw college prospect, Smith was never really supposed to see the field as a rookie, and the -27.4 PFF grade he amassed by Week 13 reflects that. Over the final month of the season, however, he posted a +7.2 grade, which would have ranked him among the league's better passers if he had performed at that level all four months instead of one. 

"Adding Eric Decker should be a major boost to an anemic receiving corps, although Chris Johnson seems unlikely to be a consistent upgrade at running back. The Jets' defensive line is formidable, especially against the run, but there is still a lack of edge rush and the team needs to generate pressure in creative ways. Dee Milliner, like Smith at quarterback, ended the year far better than he began it, and all signs suggest he could be much improved in 2014." 

PFF ranks the players into eight different categories, with "elite" being the best of the best. No players from the Jets are listed in that category, and rightly so. I think they have a handful of very good players, but no one is elite at his position. Here's the full breakdown, per PFF: 

Elite: N/A 

High QualityDamon HarrisonSheldon RichardsonMuhammad WilkersonMy take: I think you need to be a three-down player to belong in this category, and Harrison is a two-down, run-stuffing nose tackle. 

Good starter: Eric Decker, <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://espn.go.com/n...yer/_/id/9590/d" href="http://espn.go.com/n...yer/_/id/9590/d" brickashaw-ferguson"="">D'Brickashaw FergusonJeremy KerleyNick MangoldDimitri PattersonMy take: Patterson? The man has missed 33 of his last 48 games. This is too high for him. I'm OK with the others, although Mangold is worthy of a bump up. 

Average starterWillie ColonDavid HarrisBreno GiacominiChris Ivory, Dee Milliner, Kyle WilsonDawan LandryMy takeHarris is better than average. Milliner needs to be better than average for the Jets to have any chance. 

Below average starterQuinton CoplesJeff Cumberland, Chris Johnson, Geno Smith, Demario Davis and Calvin PaceMy take: I disagree with Johnson. If he's healthy, he's a lot better than below average. Obviously, PFF believes Pace's 10-sack season was a fluke. Smith is the key, of course. If he can jump two categories, the Jets will be a playoff team. 

Poor starterStephen HillBrian WintersMy take: Hard to dispute the selections, based on 2013 performance.

Edited by F.Chowds, 05 June 2014 - 08:02 PM.

#2 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,480 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

noooooooooo
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#3 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

J'accuse!

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#4 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

P.S. Thanks Idzik

#5 Jet Enforcer

Jet Enforcer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationFresno, California

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

PFF. . . .  Go report about the racist Finz, the murderers Patz, & cheerlearder scandles. . . .  Leave the Jets out of it unless you can do some really reporting, jeez

#6 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,101 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:54 PM

lol. If people started being high on us, we'd be so confused about what to do. 

#7 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 21,605 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

For as good as our dline is(or we think it is) it may not even be top 10 in the NFL...and that's clearly are deepest position.

#8 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,602 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

So we have two running backs graded as starters and Cumberland is still our starter at TE. Okie.

#9 rillo

rillo

Bernard Pollard for President.

• Members
  • 9,659 posts
  • LocationWPB, FL

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

It's over

#10 Jetknowledge

Jetknowledge

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

If any 1 takes there opinion as a fact i seriously dont want to conversate with you.

If your judging talent then we're not talking success or production but athleticism, speed, strength, & quickness.

The pats aren't more talented then alot of teams but are better and more successful

#11 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

Training Camp With The New York Jets

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

Superbowl 

NYJetsScript.gif

#12 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

This sounds about right. All of this I based on last year. It doesn't seem like they're projecting growth or improvement. By next year, this will be very different.

#13 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,382 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

Simple it comes down to the QB- if geno does not improve over last year-we are sunk

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#14 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 16,185 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

noooooooooo

Remember that one day when you also thought Harris was better than average? Good times.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#15 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,480 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Remember that one day when you also thought Harris was better than average? Good times.

The relentless beatdown you gave me burns to this day.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#16 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,799 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

you  get what you pay for in this  world

it should not be surprising that a team with 20+ mil in cap space (not counting the 10+ dead space in Sanchez and Holmes) is considered talent  poor. 

it's just another reason to praise Rex Ryan. He's making Chicken Salad out of you know what. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#17 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,480 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

it's just another reason to praise Rex Ryan. He's making Chicken Salad out of you know what.

Out of the chickens he failed to develop.

#Boom

#18 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 16,185 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

you get what you pay for in this world

it should not be surprising that a team with 20+ mil in cap space (not counting the 10+ dead space in Sanchez and Holmes) is considered talent poor.

Oh god. This is seriously gonna be your angle for the entire year isn't it.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#19 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,338 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Oh god. This is seriously gonna be your angle for the entire year isn't it.

Is it really that much worse than any of the others?

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#20 dundunit

dundunit

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Well let's pack it up and call it a season because PFF says we suck. Man I'll tell you that eagles dream team was prolly the best team of all time

#21 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,153 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

The Jets have to be one of the youngest teams in the NFL at this point. They had a lot of young/rookie starters last year, who improved as the year went on. Milliner finished the year as a high quality starter, Coples was somewhere between average and good, Geno and Winters reached average. This year hinges on those guys picking up where they left off, and continuing to improve. Positive contributions from their top three draft picks (shoring up the two worst units on the team last year) would also go a long way.

I don't think this article is particularly unfair, but I'm also not all that concerned about it.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#22 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

At least when Tannenbaum was here, the team was bad and expensive.

#23 MexiRoll6

MexiRoll6

Not very popular, apparently

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in tennesee

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

lol. If people started being high on us, we'd be so confused about what to do. 

For sure. But I have to say one thing. The Jets players themselves need to rid themselves of the 'I'm not worthy mode' which seems to pop up every time people jump ON their bandwagon and expectations go upward. A good example is how they were smacked in the mouth in Buffalo after a HUGE win over New Orleans AND A BYE week to prepare. People picked them to win and what happened......a resounding thud.

Where have you gone Walt Michaels?

#24 peebag

peebag

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

PFF. . . .  Go report about the racist Finz, the murderers Patz, & cheerlearder scandles. . . .  Leave the Jets out of it unless you can do some really reporting, jeez

Are you for real?

#25 MexiRoll6

MexiRoll6

Not very popular, apparently

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in tennesee

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

you  get what you pay for in this  world

it should not be surprising that a team with 20+ mil in cap space (not counting the 10+ dead space in Sanchez and Holmes) is considered talent  poor. 

You know what man. I finally agree with you. I was down on Rex last season for the 'circus season' he brought with Sparano and Tebow, but he really did do a magnificent coaching job last year. Now lets see what he can do when people expect something good with no excuses. I would not have put Winters in the 'poor' category either although he struggled he got better as the season wore on, much like rookies will. I would downgrade Coples however - this guy shows me nothing.

Where have you gone Walt Michaels?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users