PFF: Jets rank among bottom third in talent

F.Chowds

I'd agree with this. I don't think Idzik could have fired Rex even if he wanted to.

in washington, the QB fired the coach

owners make the call in every NFL setting, especially with HC's and QB's

what makes the jets unique here ?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree with this. I don't think Idzik could have fired Rex even if he wanted to.

I am in the pro-Rex camp, but the way this FO is run is a mystery.   They started in 2006 with a clean slate.  I thought they would stick with Mangini after Favre's injury, but he got canned and they saddled Rex with Schottenheimer.  I don't think Schottenheimer is so bad (he is world's better than Sparano) but a head coach should get to pick his own coordinators.   Then they fire Tannenbaum and force Idzik to stick with Rex.   I don't know, maybe Idzik wanted to keep Rex, but this is no way to run things.  We are all left to argue about who is at fault.  I blame you.

I am not a rex fluffer by any means, but it seems to me you are talking out of both sides of your mouth a bit.

Anyone who thinks Sanchez is as bad as you do has to give Rex a lot more credit then you are.

Dragging the crap we've had at QB along to a +.500 record is nothing to sneeze at, and I can't think of any other team with similar production at QB that hasn't been picking top 10 year in and year out.

To me, Rex has the potential to be very good. He did relatively well with the leagues worst QB but a very good team. But, he makes a number of mind numbingly stupid decisions each and year, and his loyalty to Sanchez can't be overlooked. So I do give Rex a lot of credit, and have always blamed Tannenbaum for the state of this team, however, I don't overlook the fact that he's never actually evolved past being a DC. That, and the league has caught up to his "exotic" blitzes, it seems.

To me, Rex has the potential to be very good. He did relatively well with the leagues worst QB but a very good team. But, he makes a number of mind numbingly stupid decisions each and year, and his loyalty to Sanchez can't be overlooked. So I do give Rex a lot of credit, and have always blamed Tannenbaum for the state of this team, however, I don't overlook the fact that he's never actually evolved past being a DC.  That, and the league has caught up to his "exotic" blitzes, it seems.

have to agree on the first part, disagree on the 2nd.

going back to unitas, all good QB's want to be blitzed, and every call he has has been on tape for years and years.  There really isn't much new.  The way he called the defense vs manning in the champ game shows his scheme flexibility.  he played nickle and dime all day, daring manning to run, and dropped into coverages knowing he was expecting blitz

he can coach his ass off on defense, that should never be disputed

he has changed a great deal as a HC.  he isn't a finished product, but his time management has improved, his bulletin board quotes have decreased, he has noticed the offense more (although there needs to be much more accountability for TO's)

my main criticisms for rex remain;

stupid open mouth media policy still creates to many distractions

still over praises rookies and compares them to HOF players

still loyal to a fault, poor play should cost you your PT

now that the jets have a legit back up QB, and morningwood has 2 TE's and a legit screen back, it will be interesting to see if rex lets marty open it up and throw more

if the jets are still a 60/40 run team in october, I will be out front with the pitchforks

my main criticisms for rex remain;

stupid open mouth media policy still creates to many distractions

still over praises rookies and compares them to HOF players

still loyal to a fault, poor play should cost you your PT

now that the jets have a legit back up QB, and morningwood has 2 TE's and a legit screen back, it will be interesting to see if rex lets marty open it up and throw more

if the jets are still a 60/40 run team in october, I will be out front with the pitchforks

Rex did bench Milliner and Geno last year to good results.

I think last year they were 55/45 run/pass, and Mornhinweg is a guy who has a history of running the football more than most WCO guys. Decker, Amaro, and Johnson should result in an improved passing game, but (as always) it comes down to the QBs. I think the philosophy overall will continue to be to have a ball controlling offense - with an emphasis on not turning it over.

Rex did bench Milliner and Geno last year to good results.

I think last year they were 55/45 run/pass, and Mornhinweg is a guy who has a history of running the football more than most WCO guys. Decker, Amaro, and Johnson should result in an improved passing game, but (as always) it comes down to the QBs. I think the philosophy overall will continue to be to have a ball controlling offense - with an emphasis on not turning it over.

Yes, so many offense fail to make not turning the ball over a point of emphasis.

"Yeah, Peyton/Tom/Aaron/Colin/Russell, don't really give a crap if you fumble or get interecepted. That's no big deal."

To me, Rex has the potential to be very good. He did relatively well with the leagues worst QB but a very good team. But, he makes a number of mind numbingly stupid decisions each and year, and his loyalty to Sanchez can't be overlooked. So I do give Rex a lot of credit, and have always blamed Tannenbaum for the state of this team, however, I don't overlook the fact that he's never actually evolved past being a DC. That, and the league has caught up to his "exotic" blitzes, it seems.

Thing is, though, a lot of good/successful coaches make a lot of stupid decisions. Most of those good ones have QBs who bail them out of these dopey decisions so they get forgiven & forgotten very quickly.  Belichick is one of the better examples of a coach like this.  Not saying Ryan is this or that coach's equivalent or better.  Just that when gaining yards & scoring points is more difficult with a vastly inferior QB (not to mention who these lousy QBs have to throw it to), mistakes get magnified all around.  

This season is probably the first one with Rex in which the Jets may have legitimate point-generating starters at QB (either with vast improvement from Smith, or with the dog torturer), and with multiple receiving options.  Not the best corps of receiving talent in the league, but on paper in the offseason they seem to be enough that a good QB should have options. In reality rather than on paper, if we find that CJ has lost a significant step, Amaro isn't ready to be a reliable option as a rookie, and if Decker in actuality was just a product of having Manning throw to him, then we'll cross that bridge when we get there.  Vick is not a good QB either, but in between his turnovers he has shown an ability to QB an offense that can move the ball and generate points (TDs at that).

We'll see.

people call Rex an idiot, somehow that idiot beat Brees and Brady last season. 

he's not an idiot--i may have called him that in the past but i don't really think it. he is a great defensive coach and fields a top-5 defense every year (albeit with many first round draft picks talentwise). the problem is there is zero evidence an offense can even be average under him. if rex could put together (or not impede) and average offense, with that defense we would have something.

2014-depth-NYJ.png

[Chart last updated 6/10/14]

Notes

•  If we were basing Geno Smith on his last two games alone, he’d be higher than a Below Average Starter. He finished the season strong after a middle stretch of the season where he really struggled, but we need to see more than that small sample before bumping him up a step or two.

•  So if we need to see more of Smith, why have we opted for yellow for fellow second-year player Dee Milliner? Well, while he had his struggles, he finished the year with just four games with a grade of -1.0 or lower. The last quarter of his rookie year stood out, and if he can continue to perform like that in Year 2, the Jets will be delighted with the return from their investment.

•  Despite having 11 sacks in 2013, Calvin Pace didn’t have as impressive a season as a pass rusher as you might think. That’s because he had just 35 total pressures throughout the season but more importantly, his work against the run has dipped in the past two years, something which should concern Jets fans about how much he can actually help defensively at this stage.

•  Dimitri Patterson is an interesting player to look at. His work in the slot is enough for us to have him light green, but that wouldn’t be the case if he was being asked to cover on the outside. How the Jets use him will be key in determining how good a free agency addition this was.

Roster Battles

1.  Wide Receiver

Jets fans are passionate about this battle, and I’ve already had tweets telling me thatStephen Hill won’t start, and that’s before this was even posted! Were it up to me, that would very much be the case, but the Jets have given Hill plenty of chances up to this point, so it remains to be seen if they are quite ready to give up on him. David Nelson will be his primary competition and, while he doesn’t quite look like a top receiver, he has been nothing but solid since entering the league, something he has over Hill.

2.  Quarterback

Will this be a battle this offseason? Or, perhaps more importantly, should it? There’s no denying that Vick has shown a higher level of play than Smith on the balance of his career, but at this stage does he really make them so much better that it’s worth potentially messing with Smith’s development? Perhaps this will be dependent on how Smith performs throughout the offseason, but if it were up to me he would be starting the season under center. There’s another battle to be had here too, with Matt Simms and rookie Tahj Boydbattling it out to be the team’s third-string signal caller.

It's everyone's fault. We fired one dummy and kept the other. Because of course that's what we did.

We have an organizational philosophy of plausible deniability. The coach doesn't pick the quarterback, the GM doesn't pick the coach, and let's be honest here, the consultants picked the GM. Until there is somebody in charge and you know who it is we're in a state of perpetual cluster****.

Are you for real?

"Am I for real he asks".. LOL!! Does a bear sh*t in the woods?... Don’t sit & type there without agreeing that the media loves to trample the Jets every chance they get more than any other team.. Hell the Jets have been more successful than the Jags & the Panthers before Cam and we still are treated worse! We have finally learned how to muzzle the media due to Idzik's complete "PLAN".. As I said before.. Have the media report on something substantial such as reporting about the racist Finz, the murderers Patz, & the Billz cheerleader scandals. . . .  Leave the Jets out of it unless you can do some really reporting PFF!! (Did I stutter??)

So, if we're not in the bottom third in the league that means it's because of above average coaching, no? The talent or lack-thereof is on the front office.

Yes. And if we do have good players, it's because Rex personally worked them out prior to the draft and made them awesome after. If we have bad players, it's because the illuminati, of which Rex is not one of them (but again, unless it's a good player), decided to **** with Rex.

This all gets multiplied times infinity for quarterbacks.

We have an organizational philosophy of plausible deniability. The coach doesn't pick the quarterback, the GM doesn't pick the coach, and let's be honest here, the consultants picked the GM. Until there is somebody in charge and you know who it is we're in a state of perpetual cluster****.

sad but true

I've been trying to tell you for years that so long as Waldo owns this team we're ****ed. Last time an owner was this gay for a bad coach was Dolan with Isiah.

I've been trying to tell you for years that so long as Waldo owns this team we're ****ed. Last time an owner was this gay for a bad coach was Dolan with Isiah.

Rex is as bad as Isiah?  lmfao.

Jets fans are a ****ed up group of people.

Rex is as bad as Isiah?  lmfao.

Jets fans are a ****ed up group of people.

If Rex got fired, he'd get a job some where else in less then 2 seconds. Lions, Vikings, and brown fans where both hoping he got fired last year. It was all over Reddit.  Only Jet fans don't see how great of a coach he actually is. 1 losing seasons and 2 long playoff runs in 5 year, with a winning overall record. This all with buttfumble sanchez and rookie Geno.

Archived