Rex is horrendous

jgb

Rex benched him for Greg ******* McElroy.  Of course he would "have the sack" to bench him for a 2nd round pick. Sanchez would not still be a Jet unless it was at a vastly reduced rate because Idzik appears to be making personnel decisions.  Whether he is good or bad at it may be up for debate, but he is certainly not wasting cap space on stiffs like Sanchez.  If he were, Cromartie would still be a Jet.  

he benched him for a game after which mcelroy won it against the cards. then let sanchez start again. then benched him for a game again to protect him from a home crowd. then brought him back. yeah mcelroy had "concussion symptoms" which there is some dispute about. the evidence up to that point shows that rex was desperate to rationalize sanchez playing in almost any circumstance. let's also not forget rex was fighting for his job last season. it is not a forgone conclusion that sanchez would've been benched last year had he started week 1.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he benched him for a game after which mcelroy won it against the cards. then let sanchez start again. then benched him for a game again to protect him from a home crowd. then brought him back. yeah mcelroy had "concussion symptoms" which there is some dispute about. the evidence up to that point shows that rex was desperate to rationalize sanchez playing in almost any circumstance. let's also not forget rex was fighting for his job last season. it is not a forgone conclusion that sanchez would've been benched last year had he started week 1.

Foregone conclusion.  The GM not only picked the QB, but actually stated he was involved in who started.  Whatever "stones" Rex has are irrelevant.  Comparing Greg McElroy, a big mouthed, small armed 7th rounder with Geno in the who should start category is a joke.  If Rex were totally rolling over for public opinion and the owner he'd have played Tebow.

Rex benched him for Greg ******* McElroy.  Of course he would "have the sack" to bench him for a 2nd round pick. Sanchez would not still be a Jet unless it was at a vastly reduced rate because Idzik appears to be making personnel decisions.  Whether he is good or bad at it may be up for debate, but he is certainly not wasting cap space on stiffs like Sanchez.  If he were, Cromartie would still be a Jet.  

Thats not good enough.  You dont get it.  They should have benched him for Kellen Clemens in 09 during a playoff run because that makes sense. And besides Clemens was lights out when the Jets beat the Bucs on the road that year and Sanchez was injured.  He was clearly better than Sanchez.  Or maybe they should have benched him for Brunnel in '10 during a playoff run and an 11-5 season, because that makes sense.  Or should it have been in 2011 for Brunnel when they were 8-5 at Christmas Eve and primed for their 3rd straight playoff berth, because that would have made a ton of sense too.  I mean, Brunnel could have been the future! 

That's what a good coach with big manly balls would have done.  No doubt about it!

Foregone conclusion.  The GM not only picked the QB, but actually stated he was involved in who started.  Whatever "stones" Rex has are irrelevant.  Comparing Greg McElroy, a big mouthed, small armed 7th rounder with Geno in the who should start category is a joke.  If Rex were totally rolling over for public opinion and the owner he'd have played Tebow.

that's a scary thought. althought would've been funny to watch sporano put together an offense around tebow.

i actually think rex didn't put tebow in to protect sanchez again. god forbid tebow won a game, that would be it for sanchez because of the cult-like following tebow has.

I'd like to take issue with the concept of McElroy "winning" us that game against the Cards. The defense won us that game. The final score was 7-6. The coaching staff had so much faith in McElroy they let him throw a whopping 7 passes. 

I'd like to take issue with the concept of McElroy "winning" us that game against the Cards. The defense won us that game. The final score was 7-6. The coaching staff had so much faith in McElroy they let him throw a whopping 7 passes. 

true and nothing really new. every game we've won since rex has been here has been won by the defense. there are a few exceptions where the game was "not lost" by the offense.

That's what a good coach with big manly balls would have done.  No doubt about it!

Oh please, what about 2012?  Drew Stanton was the answer, then they brought in Tim Tebow who can't football and Greg McElroy whose arm was weaker than Pennington's.  Man, with all these options to turn to but failing to do so, its clear that Rex would have never benched Sanchez for Russell Wilson.

true and nothing really new. every game we've won since rex has been here has been won by the defense. there are a few exceptions where the game was "not lost" by the offense.

Yeah that Rex sure is horrendous.  Winning us games with his defense alone in a league where offenses are setting records left and right.  Why haven't we fired this guy yet?

that's a scary thought. althought would've been funny to watch sporano put together an offense around tebow.

i actually think rex didn't put tebow in to protect sanchez again. god forbid tebow won a game, that would be it for sanchez because of the cult-like following tebow has.

Ugh. They didn't play Tebow because the thought he sucked. Simple as that. Seems like the rest of the league agrees, too.

Yeah that Rex sure is horrendous.  Winning us games with his defense alone in a league where offenses are setting records left and right.  Why haven't we fired this guy yet?

total imbalance between the O and the D. serious question would you agree to go down 5 spots in defense to go up 5 in offense? i would.

total imbalance between the O and the D. serious question would you agree to go down 5 spots in defense to go up 5 in offense? i would.

Of course I would, and that's what Idzik seems to be doing by signing the top FA WR and constantly adding new QB's.  The latter is what matters most.  Find us a QB to pair with Rex's defense and we're looking good.

Oh please, what about 2012? Drew Stanton was the answer, then they brought in Tim Tebow who can't football and Greg McElroy whose arm was weaker than Pennington's. Man, with all these options to turn to but failing to do so, its clear that Rex would have never benched Sanchez for Russell Wilson.

Russell Wilson, punt returner.

Of course I would, and that's what Idzik seems to be doing by signing the top FA WR and constantly adding new QB's.  The latter is what matters most.  Find us a QB to pair with Rex's defense and we're looking good.

i see it this way. rex was the best engineer in a company. the CEO retires so the board promotes their best engineer to run the whole thing. problem is rex still wants to be an engineer. he needs to become a CEO. and that means gaining at least understanding if not competence in all parts of the company's business. part of that is to bring in an expert on the things you will never understand and stay out of their way on the day to day. schot and sporano were flops (some say rex was micromanaging somewhat) but hopefully MM is what we needed.

Russell Wilson, punt returner.

How much complaining about Rex is based on stupid hypotheticals? Yeah, Rex would never play a good QB if he had one based on the fact that he's never had a good QB and hasn't played one.

i see it this way. rex was the best engineer in a company. the CEO retires so the board promotes their best engineer to run the whole thing. problem is rex still wants to be an engineer. he needs to become a CEO. and that means gaining at least understanding if not competence in all parts of the company's business. part of that is to bring in an expert on the things you will never understand and stay out of their way on the day to day. schot and sporano were flops (some say rex was micromanaging somewhat) but hopefully MM is what we needed.

I support what Idzik is doing.  He's building the roster up on both sides of the ball so that Rex will have no excuses for poor performance.  Since Idzik decided to bring back Rex I think he sees Rex as an asset. 

I support what Idzik is doing.  He's building the roster up on both sides of the ball so that Rex will have no excuses for poor performance.  Since Idzik decided to bring back Rex I think he sees Rex as an asset. 

part of it is the maturation process. we've all be in situations where we get a promotion and suddenly we are responsible for things we never were before. very human tendancy when overwhelmed to seek comfort and hole up in the things you understand.

How much complaining about Rex is based on stupid hypotheticals? Yeah, Rex would never play a good QB if he had one based on the fact that he's never had a good QB and hasn't played one.

Rex started Mark Sanchez for four years in defiance of natural fact. But, please, tell us about hypotheticals.

Rex started Mark Sanchez for four years in defiance of natural fact. But, please, tell us about hypotheticals.

yes he did. tanny didn't help by financially binding rex to sanchez either. we will never know what happened behind closed doors but i find it hard to believe tanny gives sanchez an extension without rex being 100% on board.

You dont get it.  Rex doesnt know what a good QB looks like.  He might know how to shut down a HOF'er but actually recognizing talent, not a chance.  Plus, he doesnt want an offense, if you havent heard.  He wants to win 7-6.  Fact.

Yes, because Clemens, Brunell, Tebow, Simms, and McElroy all represented clear cut better options, as evidenced by the fact that they are all thriving in the league today.

Yes, because Clemens, Brunell, Tebow, Simms, and McElroy all represented clear cut better options, as evidenced by the fact that they are all thriving in the league today.

On top of that, the "start anyone but Sanchez" mantra fails to recognize that being forced to bench a top 5 pick with the kind of money he was making usually means the end of a front office/coaching regime if there's not a significantly better option available.  Which there clearly wasn't.  Tannenbaum/Rex doubled down on Sanchez with that extension, which was the far greater mistake than benching him after the fact. 

The Seahawks paid all that money to Matt Flynn in '12 with the assumption that he'd be the starter, but because they had Wilson to turn to, it didn't matter that Flynn was a total bust.  If we had Wilson there's every reason to believe Rex would have turned to him, though certainly not as early as Pete Carroll did.

New regimes mean new QB's AND vice versa.

Like I said, a real Head Coach with big manly balls would have benched Sanchez in the midst of a playoff run, following two AFC Championship runs for one of those clear cut better options.  Rex is horrendous but plenty of horrendous HC's would have known better.

On top of that, the "start anyone but Sanchez" mantra fails to recognize that being forced to bench a top 5 pick with the kind of money he's making usually means the end of a front office/coaching regime if there's not a significantly better option available.  Which there clearly wasn't.

New regimes mean new QB's AND vice versa.

NO BALLS!  HORRENDOUS!

You can make the argument that vacating the position was an improvement on Sanchez.

The point is a relative one compared to Sanchez.  Sanchez most definitely would have lost the Jets that game had he been kept in.  The Jets were shut out the entire time Sanchez was on the field and he was throwing picks like it was his job.  McElroy came in and led them to a TD on his first drive.  None of this makes McElroy particularly good, but he deserves credit for doing in 1 drive what Sanchez couldn't in 3 quarters.

Of course none of that would have made a damn bit of difference if not for the defense's performance up through that point, but considering this is one of the games Sanchez is being given credit for when we still hear nonsense about his "winning record", I don't think it's so crazy to give a nod to McElroy on this one.

You can make the argument that vacating the position was an improvement on Sanchez.

ya, at the Jet Bar a few times we said with way the D played some games, we would have won if all we did was run, safe dump off passes that anyone could throw, then kick a few FGs, maybe get a lucky TD and let D win game, as opposed to Sanchez messing game up.

Ugh. They didn't play Tebow because the thought he sucked. Simple as that. Seems like the rest of the league agrees, too.

Yeah, for all of Rex's offensive faults, I think he made it quite clear that he thought Tebow was absolute crap and wanted nothing to do with the guy.  It's not a coincidence that Rex took advantage of Tebow's injury to be able to make the switch to McElroy instead of him when he pulled Sanchez.

ya, at the Jet Bar a few times we said with way the D played some games, we would have won if all we did was run, safe dump off passes that anyone could throw, then kick a few FGs, maybe get a lucky TD and let D win game, as opposed to Sanchez messing game up.

just sad because even the best D in the world is going to break once or twice a game. the guys trying to score are professionals too. the best CB or safety can slip and leave a guy wide open. the offense has to be able to put up 15 points with some regularity. i remember some games where people were mad at the defense for breaking near the end of the game and we lost 10-6 or whatever.

Archived