Top 20 Jets on the Roster - There will be no arguing with this list.

nj meadowlands

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you have to drop Mangold and Brick a few slots after awful seasons. 

I'd go with this.  Not that anyone cares:

1. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE

2.  Eric Decker, WR (+4 spots compared to OP's rankings)

* Best FA WR on the market, has been WR1-level productive with three very different QB's in his career. 

3.  Sheldon Richardson, DE

4.  Nick Mangold, C (-2)

5.  Damon Harrison, DT

6.  D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT (-2)

7.  Chris Ivory, RB (+3)

* Despite mediocre OL play still had 4.6 ypc.  We've complained for years about RB's who only take what the OL gives them.  Ivory gives us more.  Only reason he isn't higher is he can't catch passes.  Guess what:  Neither can Marshawn Lynch.  Not a problem there.

8.  Jeremy Kerley, WR (+1)

* Offense showed a marked decline when he wasn't in the lineup.  I'm excited to see how he fares this season with Decker on the outside.

9.  Dee Milliner, CB (+4)

* Sure, this ranking is more on potential rather than overall body of work, but If you can handle yourself against Josh Gordon, you're a top 10 player on this roster.  His physical tools are off the charts; he merely needs time at the 2nd hardest position on the field behind QB.

10.  Demario Davis, LB (+8)

*  Not sure why Davis was so low on the other guy's rankings.  Captain of the defense with sideline to sideline speed. 

11.  Kyle Wilson, CB (+10)

* He's gotten killed here but has become a vital performer against slot guys who have become insanely difficult to handle in today's NFL.

12.  Breno Giacommini, RT (+9)

* Huge upgrade in the run-blocking department over Austin Howard.  We'll finally be able to run to the right side with success this year.

13.  David Harris, LB (-6)

* Completely one-dimensional player who once got outrun by Alge Crumpler.  Yes, this is still relevant today.

14.  Quinton Coples, LB (+1)

* It's simple.  With his hand in the dirt he should be higher on this list.  When he's not, he's lower.  But definitely still a top 15 guy on raw talent alone.

15.  Chris Johnson, RB (+4)

* Finally, a capable pass-catching back with some moves and a little speed.  Yes, he's on the decline, but as a RBBC member, he's better than most # 2's out there.

15.  Calvin Pace, OLB (+6)

* Still wins battles at the point of attack.  Was definitely overpaid by this team when he first came here, but is actually a very underrated rotational guy at his currently salary.

16.  Leger Douzable, DT (+1)

* No, not the same guy as Kenrick Ellis.  He's better.

17.  Bilal Powell, RB (+3)

* With injury prone Ivory and aging Chris Johnson ahead of him, he's still an important piece to the puzzle.  There's something to be said for the poor man's Curtis Martin types who do all things at at least an average level and stay healthy, especially at this position on the field.

18.  Geno Smith, QB (-6)

* The incumbent performed OK in the final 4 games of the season and showed some ability to win games on his own during the season.  Granted, those games in which he played a big part in winning were ones against poor defenses, but he belongs on this list nonetheless.  Just not at # 12.

19.  Kenrick Ellis, DT (-2)

20.  Willie Colon, G (-6)

Honorable Mention/Jury's Out:  Jace Amaro, TE (A guy can dream we have a real TE for once, no?); Calvin Pryor, S

Not making the cut:  Michael Vick, QB (dead to me AND terrible); Nick Folk, K (Dude, kickers)

What part of "final list" did you not understand?

I'd go with this.  Not that anyone cares:

1. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE

2.  Eric Decker, WR (+4 spots compared to OP's rankings)

* Best FA WR on the market, has been WR1-level productive with three very different QB's in his career. 

3.  Sheldon Richardson, DE

4.  Nick Mangold, C (-2)

5.  Damon Harrison, DT

6.  D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT (-2)

7.  Chris Ivory, RB (+3)

* Despite mediocre OL play still had 4.6 ypc.  We've complained for years about RB's who only take what the OL gives them.  Ivory gives us more.  Only reason he isn't higher is he can't catch passes.  Guess what:  Neither can Marshawn Lynch.  Not a problem there.

8.  Jeremy Kerley, WR (+1)

* Offense showed a marked decline when he wasn't in the lineup.  I'm excited to see how he fares this season with Decker on the outside.

9.  Dee Milliner, CB (+4)

* Sure, this ranking is more on potential rather than overall body of work, but If you can handle yourself against Josh Gordon, you're a top 10 player on this roster.  His physical tools are off the charts; he merely needs time at the 2nd hardest position on the field behind QB.

10.  Demario Davis, LB (+8)

*  Not sure why Davis was so low on the other guy's rankings.  Captain of the defense with sideline to sideline speed. 

11.  Kyle Wilson, CB (+10)

* He's gotten killed here but has become a vital performer against slot guys who have become insanely difficult to handle in today's NFL.

12.  Breno Giacommini, RT (+9)

* Huge upgrade in the run-blocking department over Austin Howard.  We'll finally be able to run to the right side with success this year.

13.  David Harris, LB (-6)

* Completely one-dimensional player who once got outrun by Alge Crumpler.  Yes, this is still relevant today.

14.  Quinton Coples, LB (+1)

* It's simple.  With his hand in the dirt he should be higher on this list.  When he's not, he's lower.  But definitely still a top 15 guy on raw talent alone.

15.  Chris Johnson, RB (+4)

* Finally, a capable pass-catching back with some moves and a little speed.  Yes, he's on the decline, but as a RBBC member, he's better than most # 2's out there.

15.  Calvin Pace, OLB (+6)

* Still wins battles at the point of attack.  Was definitely overpaid by this team when he first came here, but is actually a very underrated rotational guy at his currently salary.

16.  Leger Douzable, DT (+1)

* No, not the same guy as Kenrick Ellis.  He's better.

17.  Bilal Powell, RB (+3)

* With injury prone Ivory and aging Chris Johnson ahead of him, he's still an important piece to the puzzle.  There's something to be said for the poor man's Curtis Martin types who do all things at at least an average level and stay healthy, especially at this position on the field.

18.  Geno Smith, QB (-6)

* The incumbent performed OK in the final 4 games of the season and showed some ability to win games on his own during the season.  Granted, those games in which he played a big part in winning were ones against poor defenses, but he belongs on this list nonetheless.  Just not at # 12.

19.  Kenrick Ellis, DT (-2)

20.  Willie Colon, G (-6)

Honorable Mention/Jury's Out:  Jace Amaro, TE (A guy can dream we have a real TE for once, no?); Calvin Pryor, S

Not making the cut:  Michael Vick, QB (dead to me AND terrible); Nick Folk, K (Dude, kickers)

lol @ chris johnson 5 spots under kyle wilson 

lol @ chris johnson 5 spots under kyle wilson 

Why is that funny?  Wilson was, IIRC, ranked a top 3 corner against slot receivers this past season, a very important task with so many slot receivers seemingly taking over the league.  Johnson may well be completely washed up and is not really expected to be the primary back.

Why is that funny?  Wilson was, IIRC, ranked a top 3 corner against slot receivers this past season, a very important task with so many slot receivers seemingly taking over the league.  Johnson may well be completely washed up and is not really expected to be the primary back.

wilson is booty. you can do better than to list wilson as a top 10 player on the team.

wilson is booty. you can do better than to list wilson as a top 10 player on the team.

You're basing your opinion on Kyle Wilson on the long-standing notion that he's no good.  Which is true, if you're asking him to play on the outside, but can't be farther from the truth if you throw him inside against slot players. 

And I didn't have Wilson top 10.  I had him # 11, which is a fair grade.  You're basing your opinion on Wilson and Chris Johnson on what they've done in the past.  Whereas I'm grading guys for what they are.

You're basing your opinion on Kyle Wilson on the long-standing notion that he's no good.  Which is true, if you're asking him to play on the outside, but can't be farther from the truth if you throw him inside against slot players. 

And I didn't have Wilson top 10.  I had him # 11, which is a fair grade.  You're basing your opinion on Wilson and Chris Johnson on what they've done in the past.  Whereas I'm grading guys for what they are.

i like your list--definitely don't agree with all of it but the commentary was pretty cool. good job.

that being said i think vick is a clear top 20 guy. at this point in their careers he is higher than geno. but he may never see the field which makes it all moot anyway.

Yeah, but Wilson sucks.

He's 34, can't stay healthy, and turns the ball over like its his job.  It's why even the f*ckin Raiders wouldn't hand him a starting job and chose Matt Schaub instead as their vet.

you have to consider the competition on the jets roster. there are probably guys in street clothes that could crack the top 20 on this squad

you have to consider the competition on the jets roster. there are probably guys in street clothes that could crack the top 20 on this squad

That doesn't mean that guys who were a "name" once crack that top 20 list automatically.  Washed up is washed up, and Vick wasn't that good to begin with.  In only 1 out of the last 10-11 seasons has he been a capable passer in this league.  The rest of the years he got by on athleticism that he no longer has.

That doesn't mean that guys who were a "name" once crack that top 20 list automatically.  Washed up is washed up, and Vick wasn't that good to begin with.  In only 1 out of the last 10-11 seasons has he been a capable passer in this league.  The rest of the years he got by on athleticism that he no longer has.

guess we'll find out. i still predict he outplays geno but they still roll with geno.

For some reason the title of this thread makes me think of the Violent Femmes.  

The Violent Femmes.  They bring all their equipment on the bus..."

vfems_front.jpg

One of my favorite all time album covers, and one of my favorite all time albums. Brian Ritchie is just an amazing bass player.

I'm blaming Idzik because he's still sitting on $30M in cap space.

It's much closer to 20 mill than 30, and when we use that money to lock up players like Wilk and Kerley while also using it to sign FA's next offseason you should thank Idzik.

It's much closer to 20 mill than 30, and when we use that money to lock up players like Wilk and Kerley while also using it to sign FA's next offseason you should thank Idzik.

You know something is wrong within your organization when the impending free agency of a guy like Jeremy Kerley strikes fear in your heart. I say this as a fan of Jeremy Kerley, btw.

Archived