Antwan Barnes Targeting Camp Return

A week ago Rex Ryan made a few headlines expressing skepticism Antwan Barnes would be ready by training camp in his recovery from the torn ACL. Kristian Dyer trapped with Barnes who seems optimistic.

Barnes is probably not a three down player for the Jets. He will probably only see time on passing downs. This team is lacking a legitimate threat off the edge, though. There is plenty of talent on the inside creating double teams and leaving favorable matchups one on a single on the outside. Despite all the fan fare that included Calvin Pace's 10 sack season this past year, that seems unlikely to repeat itself for a lot of reasons including age and the way he's deployed. An athletic guy like Barnes may make an impact whilst a part-timer. He has to get healthy first.

Tom Sells of somewhere writes "Unlike Coples and Pace, this can be a guy offenses legtitimatley need to concern yourself with coming off the edge. A man who will enable you to get ten sacks, but may also cause a myriad of havoc in the backfield even when he doesn't get to the QB"

I think with all honesty that he can make a big impact off the edge this year and will give you that outside force. Dude, if Coples develops into his first round potential this year, this really is gonna be a fun team to watch on the defensive side of the ball.

Huge hopes for Q as I'm a big supporter of his. Heard he lost 10-15 pounds this offseason should add some quickness to his game off the edge.

Huge hopes for Q as I'm a big supporter of his. Heard he lost 10-15 pounds this offseason should add some quickness to his game off the edge.

I agree. Coples came on real strong at the end of the season.  Only had 4.5 sacks but 12 QB hits.  Several of paces sacks were because Coples had chased the QB right at him.

With that said I'm real concerened about Barnes.  He was injured in week 5 I believe, he should be father along at this point.  This will be a major loss he he doesn't return to his former playing level

Archived