Would Geno benefit from a year on the bench?

LionelRichie

Last year with Garrard and Simms and as the only other options Geno had to play from week 1.   This year there is a viable alternative with starting experience who gives the Jets a chance to win.  

The trend this year seems to be giving rookies a redshirt season to learn.   Would Geno benefit long-term from a year on the bench?     

Last year with Garrard and Simms and as the only other options Geno had to play from week 1.   This year there is a viable alternative with starting experience who gives the Jets a chance to win.  

The trend this year seems to be giving rookies a redshirt season to learn.   Would Geno benefit long-term from a year on the bench?     

dont know, but we may find out ;)

If Geno doesn't start this year, whether or not sitting benefitted him won't be an issue. They'll be looking for a new QB, regardless.

I don't understand this logic at all.   

Tampa is doing the exact same thing with Glennon, taking their de facto 2013 starter and putting him on the bench for a minimum of 1 year.    Glennon was a 3rd rd pick,  Geno was a 2nd.   Other than that there really isn't much difference other than the fact that Lovie didn't open the competition up he just put Glennon on the bench.   

Just my two cents, but I agree with slats and JFID. If you bench him this year you're essentially giving up on him. Vick was brought in to be the insurance policy/mentor, this is evident from them all but admitting it's Geno's job to lose and not really a competition. I don't think Vick would be saying it's not an open competition if it really was... Geno will be the starting QB week 1 unless he's absolutely horrendous in training camp. From what I hear he has greatly improved, and is on par or better than Vick so far throughout OTAs. With that being said, I think benching Geno for a year after starting a full year his rookie season would impede his growth. Not to say I think he was NFL ready his rookie year, but at this point the best thing for him would be to surround him with as much talent as possible and giving him the nod. No more of this "well, Geno's the starting QB this week" crap. Geno's going to be the starter, announce it, and have confidence in him. That would be the best thing for Geno Smith at this point in his career.

I don't understand this logic at all.   

Tampa is doing the exact same thing with Glennon, taking their de facto 2013 starter and putting him on the bench for a minimum of 1 year.    Glennon was a 3rd rd pick,  Geno was a 2nd.   Other than that there really isn't much difference other than the fact that Lovie didn't open the competition up he just put Glennon on the bench.

Tampa change coaches, and the new coach brought in his own QB. Completely different situation. I don't think they're seasoning Glennon as a potential starter at all, I think they'll be looking to trade him.

I really think Geno has a 50/50 shot of being pretty good. If he struggles in the first month, Vick will get his job. If Vick plays, Jets fans need to hope for a <5-11 season so they'll be in position to draft one of the big QBs. The absolute worse case scenario is that Vick gets you to 8-8 and the team gets stuck in purgatory, where we're signing Matt Schaub for 2015.

I really think Geno has a 50/50 shot of being pretty good. If he struggles in the first month, Vick will get his job. If Vick plays, Jets fans need to hope for a <5-11 season so they'll be in position to draft one of the big QBs. The absolute worse case scenario is that Vick gets you to 8-8 and the team gets stuck in purgatory, where we're signing Matt Schaub for 2015.

Rex is purgatory. You know we're getting just enough wins to miss the playoffs and a top QB prospect

I am liking all of the Jet fans having some sort of faith in Geno.. I say and agree with the same statements, last year was a back and forth year but now it’s a different story with his experience from before benching him won’t necessarily improve his mistakes. I say let him fly like a Jet & the rest of this new & improved offense will help him & the team reach their goals... As always: ::GoJets:

I am liking all of the Jet fans having some sort of faith in Geno.. I say and agree with the same statements, last year was a back and forth year but now it’s a different story with his experience from before benching him won’t necessarily improve his mistakes. I say let him fly like a Jet & the rest of this new & improved offense will help him & the team reach their goals... As always: ::GoJets:

Yes.  Let him fly!  I think he will be fine.

no. **** no.

Would a golfer benefit from caddying for a year? NO

Would a bowler benefit from drilling balls for a year? NO

Would a tennis player benefit from being a ball boy for a year? NO

Would Geno benefit from a year on the bench? **** NO

Rookies can benefit from a year on the bench, primarily because there is so much to learn in terms of the playbook, protections, defenses, etc...and they can learn those slow. But Geno has that behind him. All he can learn he learns from playing at this point. Plus if you sit him you have to take a QB next year because now you do not know what you have in Geno.

Plus Vick is NOT a better option than Geno.

Tampa change coaches, and the new coach brought in his own QB. Completely different situation. I don't think they're seasoning Glennon as a potential starter at all, I think they'll be looking to trade him.

Tampa turned down a trade for Glennon before the draft.   They also publicly announced he was the QB of the future.   While both of these could be lies it sure seems like they plan for him to start in the future and want him to learn behind a veteran.   

I don't think Geno is the long-term answer at QB.   I just don't think he has what it takes to lead a franchise.   I don't think a season of humble pie on the bench is the worst thing for a young QB.   Geno never "won" the job and it's shaping up like Sanchez 2.0.   

I don't think Geno is the long-term answer at QB. I just don't think he has what it takes to lead a franchise. I don't think a season of humble pie on the bench is the worst thing for a young QB. Geno never "won" the job and it's shaping up like Sanchez 2.0.

The bold, really, is another reason to trot him out there rather than sit him. If he sits out the season, you're left to wonder whether or not he's gotten any better and can actually develop into a starting QB. That uncertainty will affect the way the organization deals with the position next offseason. Better to know for sure, or at least get a clearer picture. If he can build on last year, and be the 80+ rated QB he was in the final month of the season for a full year, maybe the Jets have something. If he's still stuck in the 60's in that regard -even with a year under his belt and better weapons around him- he'll almost certainly be benched and the team will be forced to look for an upgrade. Either way, knowing is better than speculating.

Clearly, this magical power that the lunatic fringe of fandom believes comes from sitting the bench rather than playing has been totally undone because Geno has actually played some games.  The thought that sitting the bench is somehow better than playing is assinine.  Just ask my plumber who was told to sit and watch and not touch a pipe wrench for a year or my doctor who watched others stitch people up for a year before even picking up a needle and thread or the pilot of the plane who road coach for year prior to ever taking the wheel.  Absolute stupidity brought on by the Green Bay situation with Rodgers. If Aaron Rodgers had started from day 1, he would have been Aaron Rodgers sooner.  Sitting and watching does nothing for a QB compared to getting out there and playing.  If it did, Curtis Painter would be Johnny Unitas.

your ass hurt on that fence post, LOL

I can't believe this is where we've come to with the latest myth disguised as wisdom. We're actually going to take a guy that has had a season of live game experience and have him sit and learn the things it is optimal to learn before getting thrown into live game situations. It's like asking a pilot to go back to flight school after being in the air for a year.

The canary has already been in the cat's mouth. No use asking him to spit it out now.

I'm trying to think of a QB who's career has taken this trajectory. Anyone?

Assuming Vick wins the competition (and I am not sure he will), we have to hope that Geno has matured emotionally.  If he reacts to the benching like he did during the draft - the Jets should be looking for another QB next year.  If he has developed some emotional fortitude the benching can have a very positive affect.

Assuming Vick wins the competition (and I am not sure he will), we have to hope that Geno has matured emotionally.  If he reacts to the benching like he did during the draft - the Jets should be looking for another QB next year.  If he has developed some emotional fortitude the benching can have a very positive affect.

If he's not good enough to win a competition weighted in his favor, we're looking for another QB next year. This isn't all about Geno.

It's too bad the Colts messed up Peyton Manning's career by playing him from day 1.  Can you imagine what he would have been if they would have been smart enough to have him sit on the bench for a year?

can you imagine if people use peyton manning as an example of what is best for geno smith?

Archived