Sporting News names Rex Ryan 17th best coach in the NFL

T0mShane

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the bluster, Ryan keeps proving that he can coach 'em up, especially on defense. If he’s far from a master of evaluating and developing quarterbacks, he’s a Ph.D. in getting the players to rally behind him, pusing the right buttons and taking the heat to deflect it from them. He’s still tilting at windmills, though. He wants to scale Patriots Mountain, but it’s tough to see how he’ll ever do it.

you just can't get that kind of reputation based analysis anywhere else

He sucks.

Actually, based on this ranking he would be, by definition, "average".  Now if you think the average head coach sucks, then so be it.  The truth is this ranking is probably pretty damn accurately.  While he's certainly not the all-time awful coach we've gotten to hear folks dramatically carrying on about around here, he's also far from the top notch coach the opposite extremists try to play him off as either.  The Jets could certainly do better, but they also can, and absolutely have done, much worse.  Rex is definitely running out of chances, and rightfully so, but it also won't be a difference-maker until the Jets finally get their sh*t together at QB.

Actually, based on this ranking he would be, by definition, "average". Now if you think the average head coach sucks, then so be it. The truth is this ranking is probably pretty damn accurately. While he's certainly not the all-time awful coach we've gotten to hear folks dramatically carrying on about around here, he's also far from the top notch coach the opposite extremists try to play him off as either. The Jets could certainly do better, but they also can, and absolutely have done, much worse. Rex is definitely running out of chances, and rightfully so, but it also won't be a difference-maker until the Jets finally get their sh*t together at QB.

IMO, the average coach is worse than the bad coach because the average coach sticks around forever, like Herm. These are my anxieties

IMO, the average coach is worse than the bad coach because the average coach sticks around forever, like Herm. These are my anxieties

Fair enough, I can see what you're saying there, although I would hardly ever qualify Herm as "average", even despite the length of his run with the Jets.  I can get not like Rex, but he's never been quite "Herm bad".

By your evaluation, I would (sadly) have to say perhaps Rex is almost like a Pennington of head coaches (you know, just not quite as awful in the postseason).  Ok, I'm going to go throw up now, then cry myself to sleep.

Fair enough, I can see what you're saying there, although I would hardly ever qualify Herm as "average", even despite the length of his run with the Jets. I can get not like Rex, but he's never been quite "Herm bad".

By your evaluation, I would (sadly) have to say perhaps Rex is almost like a Pennington of head coaches (you know, just not quite as awful in the postseason). Ok, I'm going to go throw up now, then cry myself to sleep.

Pennington is a good comparison, actually. I only bring up Herm because Herm had the 10-6 season, using a big running game to pound Peyton Manning in a playoff game, and he rode that flash of glory for a long time. The one thing that gives me hope with Rex is Pete Carroll having turned his career around, but I think Pete learned a lot in his time at USC, where he had to become the adult in the organization. Despite Rex's relative reticence lately, that's really just the result of his role being marginalized here and not the result of him having learned a damn thing. Marty Mornhinweg is currently the one coach on the team that has a chance of fixing anything. Rex is a peripheral figure.

Pennington is a good comparison, actually. I bring up Herm, because Herm had the 10-6 season using a big running game to pound Peyton Manning in a playoff game, and he rode that flash of glory for a long time. The one thing that gives me hope with Rex is Pete Carroll having turned his career around, but I think Pete learned a lot in his time at USC, where he had to become the adult in the organization. Despite Rex's relative reticence lately, that's really just the result of his role being marginalized in the organization and not the result of him having learned a damn thing. Marty Mornhinweg is currently the one coach on the team that has a chance of fixing anything. Rex is a peripheral figure.

Remember that time that people argued firing Herm was a bad idea because he made the playoffs a lot? It's kind of like that, except we don't make the playoffs as much and the current dude is a much bigger jackass.

You are out of your mind. The 2011 collapse is all-time horriawful bad. And the 2012 season was one joke after another. The stink of the Thanksgiving game will never wash away, never ever ever.

That nobody lost their job within five minutes of that Thanksgiving game scares me to this day as it regards the organizational structure of this team. Even Wilpon would have hung someone out to dry.

Remember that time that people argued firing Herm was a bad idea because he made the playoffs a lot? It's kind of like that, except we don't make the playoffs as much and the current dude is a much bigger jackass.

It should also be mentioned that Herm wasn't fired here. I think the Rex Era ends in similar fashion when he's traded to Jerry Jones for a fifth rounder.

You are out of your mind. The 2011 collapse is all-time horriawful bad. And the 2012 season was one joke after another. The stink of the Thanksgiving game will never wash away, never ever ever.

Oh, I'm not saying he hasn't had his awful performances.  But as far as I'm concerned, even those disasters aren't as bad as the likes of the sh*t we saw in even Herm's "best" season as a coach with the Jordan halfback pass or the Steelers'...  I don't know what the **** to call that.  But then again, those comparisons are probably like arguing over which pile of sh*t smells worse, so what's the point, really?

Herm gets a bad rap. He was a very good coach.

Jet fans are so ungrateful, Herm and Rex gave us out best years as Jet fans and they get slandered at every opportunity.

herm was so bad, he had to hire a clock management assistant

c'mon dude

T0mShane, on 13 Jun 2014 - 8:16 PM, said:snapback.png

It should also be mentioned that Herm wasn't fired here. I think the Rex Era ends in similar fashion when he's traded to Jerry Jones for a fifth rounder.

I bet Idzik can negotiate that down to a sixth.

Ha! Ha!

I saw what you did there..... very clever of you! =D>  :sign0098:

I doubt this even scratches the surface of your anxieties.

Both overrated and underrated at the same time.  He is worshipped for his defense for some reason, but he never had a great offense to begin with.

His personality and openess makes his players love him, if only Rex could get the results on the field.  Better get us to the playoffs or we'll be in limbo like

last season.

Archived