Foundation of Pettine's anger/bitterness (ingame issues)

SouthernJet

But I thought Rex would rather sink the team than upset someone he likes. Read it on this very website.

I also heard here that Pettine was the adult + brains in the room for the Jets.

He totally looks mature & brilliant here.

Guy got a job as a defensive coordinator right away - and I'm sure it came with Rex's glowing recommendation - and then got a HC job a year later. No one cares or remembers much that he got the defensive playcalling taken away. I mean, we remember but no one gives a crap. He had a total clean slate as a head coach. Look what the "grownup" does with it before his first summer. Manages to piss off a HOF coach (however much I dislike him) and his friend/mentor who gave him a chance in his life that no one else would or could.

What a complete friggin' baby.

completely agree, actually he pissed off 2 hall of fame coaches if you count saban, even tho I can't stand him either

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that is awesome.

I want to make an article out of that. Who is going to help and give me a few bullets outlining his pettiness (a few examples). :)

Starting an anti-jets account on this site by the name of stoic entry.

The article below claims Saban did receive a Jets playbook.  And we've all heard that BB is Saban's close friend.  Not sure what to make of this situation but I find it strange how many people are instantly jumping to Rex's defense on this.  I'm not seeing what's so obvious here in Rex's defense.  I know the Jets have done well under Rex at times, regardless.  And it would seem absurd to say that Rex would intentionally want BB to have his playbook (unless it was a fake or something).  I think it comes down to "is Rex stupid/arrogant enough to hand Saban his playbook and not be aware that it could end up in BB's hands?"  The interesting thing to me was how Rex came to BB's defense and basically said Pettine has a big mouth.  Rex's reaction seems very defensive to me so my gut says that maybe this story is true (even though it's hard to see how it makes sense).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-pats-secrets-rex-wrong-exposing-article-1.1837178

An Alabama spokesman said Saban never gave a copy of the Jets’ playbook to the Patriots, and a staffer said it is sitting in Saban’s office in Tuscaloosa. Even if Saban, who Ryan says is his friend, too, didn’t betray him, somebody did if Brady was not kidding around.

The article below claims Saban did receive a Jets playbook.  And we've all heard that BB is Saban's close friend.  Not sure what to make of this situation but I find it strange how many people are instantly jumping to Rex's defense on this.  I'm not seeing what's so obvious here in Rex's defense.  I know the Jets have done well under Rex at times, regardless.  And it would seem absurd to say that Rex would intentionally want BB to have his playbook (unless it was a fake or something).  I think it comes down to "is Rex stupid/arrogant enough to hand Saban his playbook and not be aware that it could end up in BB's hands?"  The interesting thing to me was how Rex came to BB's defense and basically said Pettine has a big mouth.  Rex's reaction seems very defensive to me so my gut says that maybe this story is true (even though it's hard to see how it makes sense).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-pats-secrets-rex-wrong-exposing-article-1.1837178

An Alabama spokesman said Saban never gave a copy of the Jets’ playbook to the Patriots, and a staffer said it is sitting in Saban’s office in Tuscaloosa. Even if Saban, who Ryan says is his friend, too, didn’t betray him, somebody did if Brady was not kidding around.

well said.  if you are in a coaches clinic, all you have to do is some whiteboard work and maybe leave behind an autographed  copy of your book on coaching, lol

although there really are no secrets when you get down to it (other than an actual gameplan) it's just bad judgement to give them out.

what we need to know for context is how often this happens with other coaches.  anybody know ?

and myers is a hack, even for him that was a lame article trying to make something of very little, not surprised he didn't offer any context or history on coaches sharing playbooks

well said.  if you are in a coaches clinic, all you have to do is some whiteboard work and maybe leave behind an autographed  copy of your book on coaching, lol

although there really are no secrets when you get down to it (other than an actual gameplan) it's just bad judgement to give them out.

what we need to know for context is how often this happens with other coaches.  anybody know ?

and myers is a hack, even for him that was a lame article trying to make something of very little, not surprised he didn't offer any context or history on coaches sharing playbooks

Supect in a world of tablets and game film the base defenses of eah and every NCAA and NFL team isn't much a secret and they haven't been for a long time. Players almost certainly download them to their own units to review them. And coaching clinics give coaches at a levels the chance to copy and access them.every highs chool coach in the NY area has at some point been to several clinics run by the Jets or Giants or some DIv.1 coaching staff. And rather than a handout they either download or access the materials. May be theya ren't inlcuding everything, ceretainly not full gameplans. But when you consider the easy access to game tape there aren't any secrets generally. Week to week gameplans are a veyr different story.

Supect in a world of tablets and game film the base defenses of eah and every NCAA and NFL team isn't much a secret and they haven't been for a long time. Players almost certainly download them to their own units to review them. And coaching clinics give coaches at a levels the chance to copy and access them.every highs chool coach in the NY area has at some point been to several clinics run by the Jets or Giants or some DIv.1 coaching staff. And rather than a handout they either download or access the materials. May be theya ren't inlcuding everything, ceretainly not full gameplans. But when you consider the easy access to game tape there aren't any secrets generally. Week to week gameplans are a veyr different story.

agreed.  and rex said it was an old playbook, and some of it no doubt came from stuff his dad ran in the 60's or 80's

I think Pettine's overarching complaint is that Rex runs a discipline- and accountability-free clown college, which must have been disgusting for a business-first old-school guy like Pettine, whose father is a coaching lifer. Really, hard to blame the man for throwing his hands up.

I think Pettine's overarching complaint is that Rex runs a discipline- and accountability-free clown college, which must have been disgusting for a business-first old-school guy like Pettine, whose father is a coaching lifer. Really, hard to blame the man for throwing his hands up.

even woody does push ups after penalties now !!!

he benched milliner 3 times, and other guys

he's getting better at the accountability thing, the final piece will be including the QB, lol

he really does need to change the media policy tho.  pryor is the beat writers new best friend, lets just hope he doesn't call out brady (oy)

he's getting better at the accountability thing, the final piece will be including the QB, lol

he really does need to change the media policy tho. pryor is the beat writers new best friend, lets just hope he doesn't call out brady (oy)

Pryor and his 4.6/40-running ass is going to learn some hard lessons this year. I lol'ed when I saw that Rex compared him to Jack Tatum. Tatum wouldn't last three games in Goodell's league.

he really does need to change the media policy tho.  pryor is the beat writers new best friend, lets just hope he doesn't call out brady (oy)

Why is the owner at practice at all? There's your core problem.

Pryor and his 4.6/40-running ass is going to learn some hard lessons this year. I lol'ed when I saw that Rex compared him to Jack Tatum. Tatum wouldn't last three games in Goodell's league.

May be I'm wrong. This pick over Manziel is going to look really dumb sometime in the very near future. The idea that being some hard-hitting safety is a positive is laughable. Unless you like 15 yard automatic penalties/1st downs, fines and suspensions.Does speak to a coach and front office that really don't understand their own industry and long for some wonderful yesteryear that is not coming back.

pryor will have a lot to learn. you can just se it coming, he calls brady "over rated" before the first past* game, and then goes out and gets beat for the game winner.  or maybe thats my battered jets fan syndrome talking, lol

Why is the owner at practice at all? There's your core problem.

eh, they all play with their toys. their is a douchy rich guy factor to it tho

May be I'm wrong. This pick over Manziel is going to look really dumb sometime in the very near future. The idea that being some hard-hitting safety is a positive is laughable. Unless you like 15 yard automatic penalties/1st downs, fines and suspensions.Does speak to a coach and front office that really don't understand their own industry and long for some wonderful yesteryear that is not coming back.

I'd imagine that Idzik wanted his Earl Thomas pick, and Pryor was the closest thing to it, even if Pryor isn't nearly the athlete that Thomas is. It was a ballsy pick, though. If Manziel, Bridgewater, or Carr become high-level players and Geno continues to flounder, Idzik could lose his job for drafting an obsolete player instead.

pryor will have a lot to learn. you can just se it coming, he calls brady "over rated" before the first past* game, and then goes out and gets beat for the game winner. or maybe thats my battered jets fan syndrome talking, lol

eh, they all play with their toys. their is a douchy rich guy factor to it tho

Woody talking about specific player evaluations or organizational philosophy is disturbing. Idzik needs to find him a hobby quickly. Dude has no place near the decision-making operations of this team.

Woody talking about specific player evaluations or organizational philosophy is disturbing. Idzik needs to find him a hobby quickly. Dude has no place near the decision-making operations of this team.

We've been told here repeatedly that Robert Wood Johnson IV is a brilliant businessman rather than a guy born to half a billion dollars.There isn't much evidence he's anything more than a rich spoiled brat. Apparently he doesn't really have a job, allowing him to hang around Florham Park and come up with brilliance like the West Side stadium, PSLs and drum lines.

We've been told here repeatedly that Robert Wood Johnson IV is a brilliant businessman rather than a guy born to half a billion dollars.There isn't much evidence he's anything more than a rich spoiled brat. Apparently he doesn't really have a job, allowing him to hang around Florham Park and come up with brilliance like the West Side stadium, PSLs and drum lines.

To be fair here, literally no human on earth thinks that Woody is a) smart or b ) an asset to any organization.

He's an ungrateful bastard who was the stem of all rumors and lockerroom turmoil.  Rex made him who he is and then he sh*ts on him? 

He sucks, Rex pulled play calling duties from him and the defense improved drastically.

He will fail in Cleveland miserably.

could it be that Rex and Pettine were just a good team together ? One on the organizational end one on the play calling end. Its sad they had a falling out but being a HC IS NOT about calling plays its about managing a team, your coordinators, and your coaches in this respect Pettine may very well shine.

who says he is brilliant ?  That's a hefty straw man right there, lol

He isn't involved in any publicly traded companies, so his job is hard to pin down.  He is involved in the foundation, and real estate I believe

all we do know is his business is so successful he bought the jets for $650 mm, and he makes so much profit from his companies he got caught fudging a loss to reduce his tax bill

his father had a falling out with his grandfather, he never worked a day in his life for J&J

his failing with the WSS was he was late to the punch bribing sheldon silver, not the worst sin ever

most every new stadium has PSL's I think, he doesn't charge them for the upper decks, the giants do

he says dumb things and wears that goofy hat everywhere.  hey, at least he isn't broke

To be fair here, literally no human on earth thinks that Woody is a) smart or b ) an asset to any organization.

I always find it odd that we don't regard him the same way Knicks fans regard Dolan. The bullsh*t problems with this organization year after year have always begun right at the top.

If Pettine is such an old schooler, then he should know to settle it internally like men instead of going to the gossip mags with anonymous gossip.

Old schoolers are also usually fond of the idiom "don't sh*t where you eat".

Gonna be hysterical watching Manziel in a Super Bowl and Jets fans saying that Pettine got lucky.

There is no shot the Browns win a SB with Pettine as coach. there is literally as much a chance of that as me sh#tting an Acme rocket out of my ass and blasting myself to the moon.

There is no shot the Browns win a SB with Pettine as coach. there is literally as much a chance of that as me sh#tting an Acme rocket out of my ass and blasting myself to the moon.

Can you take Manziel with you? Please.

I understand some of you guys liking that obnoxious little QB, but I do not understand how a hard hitting safety is now a negative. It's insane.

It's fine that he's a hard hitting safety, but if all he is is a hard hitting safety who struggles in coverage, well, you can get those guys anywhere. Meanwhile, if Carr or Manziel or Bridgewater emerge as a big QB in this league, it'll be a tough pill to swallow.

Eh. You don't know until they get out there. He could be Chuck Pagano-y.

Archived